mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

In an interview with conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt, McConnell vowed that he would not view a high court pick made by President Joe Biden any differently than how he viewed now-Attorney General Merrick Garland in 2016. McConnell blocked Garland's Supreme Court nomination from consideration that year, citing divided government ahead of a presidential election.

“I don’t think either party, if it controlled, if it were different from the president, would confirm a Supreme Court nominee in the middle of an election,” McConnell told Hewitt. “What was different in 2020 was we were of the same party as the president.”

Link

I'm sure this shocks absolutely no one. I'm bringing it up to remind everyone that nothing has changed since his last two contradictory decisions, and that Democrats shouldn't delude themselves into being suckers. Republicans have recently shown that they'll do whatever benefits them citing whatever flimsy rationale they can get away with (and they'll do it again).

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

Hopefully the Democrats control the senate by then. This obstructionist racist clown needs to go:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

McConnell needs to go, we need to get shit done. The wheels of government turn slow enough as it is, we don't need people intentionally obstructing it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I would have taken four more years of Trump to see McConnel go. There is plenty of blame to go around for the current state partisan gridlock and general dumbfuckery, but not many people have done more than Mitch make it that way.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

well i'm shocked

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

McConnell needs to go, we need to get shit done. The wheels of government turn slow enough as it is, we don't need people intentionally obstructing it.

Isn't that what the Republican party is for?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It certainly seems so these days.

Though I'd like to think in an ideal world the Republican party would--through diplomacy, dealmaking, and compromise--work together with Democrats; democrats would propose progressive reform, Republicans would go "Woh let's dial that back a little bit, we can't afford that".

Now they're just going "nope".

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

McConnell is a sack of shit.

But let's not pretend the Democrats didn't try to pull the same stunt while Trump was still in office.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

But let's not pretend the Democrats didn't try to pull the same stunt while Trump was still in office.

Well they didn't just "try" the same stunt. They blocked several of Bush's judicial nominations when they held the senate. If they held the senate under Trump, regardless of Garland being blocked or not, they would have blocked Trumps appointments as well. So the pearl clutching is pretty comical. Many of the people commenting act like they just started paying attention to politics very recently.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eoten
@mrbojangles25 said:
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It certainly seems so these days.

Though I'd like to think in an ideal world the Republican party would--through diplomacy, dealmaking, and compromise--work together with Democrats; democrats would propose progressive reform, Republicans would go "Woh let's dial that back a little bit, we can't afford that".

Now they're just going "nope".

Why is it whenever there's "compromise" with the left, nothing is ever given up by them? It's like I tell you to give me all your money. You say "no." Then I say "okay, let's compromise, give me half your money" and you say "okay." and give me half. That's what compromising with the DNC has been like. And they only call for any kind of "compromise" when they lack the means to outright take what they want. So, let's stop pretending the DNC are a bunch of fuckin' angels.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@eoten said:

Why is it whenever there's "compromise" with the left, nothing is ever given up by them? It's like I tell you to give me all your money. You say "no." Then I say "okay, let's compromise, give me half your money" and you say "okay." and give me half. That's what compromising with the DNC has been like. And they only call for any kind of "compromise" when they lack the means to outright take what they want. So, let's stop pretending the DNC are a bunch of fuckin' angels.

DNC? You seem confused.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:

DNC? You seem confused.

Are you going to deny that they've blocked judicial appointments when they were in control of the senate?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

Democrats have been far more willing to compromise than republicans. Also, this thread is about Mcconnell, not the democrats.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eoten

@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

Democrats have been far more willing to compromise than republicans. Also, this thread is about Mcconnell, not the democrats.

how many compromises on any major issues can you point out? What have they given when they were in a position of power? And this thread is about hypocrisy. Whining about McConnel doing something Democrats have done themselves, a lot, is just being hypocritical. If they weren't blocking appointments under Bush, maybe there'd be an argument there.

This is par for the course for politics.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@mattbbpl: I've been watching a lot of Survivor lately. If Mitch were a player in said social strategy game, I think I would (eventually) be impressed by his ability to use hypocrisy as a tool to his advantage. Unfortunately his actions actually affect the world in a very negative way and thus I can't see it that way.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@eoten said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

how many compromises on any major issues can you point out? What have they given when they were in a position of power? And this thread is about hypocrisy. Whining about McConnel doing something Democrats have done themselves, a lot, is just being hypocritical. If they weren't blocking appointments under Bush, maybe there'd be an argument there.

Well even you aren't defending Mitch McConnell here.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eoten

@horgen said:
@eoten said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

I don't need to. I told you before both parties are more alike than different and this thread is just an example of people wanting to excuse one side, ignore what they've done, and sensationalize the other for doing the same thing. That's how we get into situations like we are in now, by people becoming fan boys of political parties and start acting the same way console fanboys do.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:
@eoten said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

Seriously.

Defend Mitch McConnell @eoten or maybe sit this one out?

I understand the need to hate on all politicians and iirc you said you are not a right-wing Trump/GOP fanatic (I think...could be thinking of a different user), but at the same time you don't really attack the GOP the way you do the Democrats, so maybe you should a.) pick a side and make peace with it, or b.) attack both sides.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:

DNC? You seem confused.

Are you going to deny that they've blocked judicial appointments when they were in control of the senate?

I think you might want to learn what DNC stands for before we continue this discussion. The DNC has no power to block judicial appointments nor is in control of the senate.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sonic_spark

@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

The thread is about McConnell opposing any justice to the supreme court, correct? So my point stands, the democrats did the exact same thing in Trump's last year. So relevant to the topic, McConnell is just doing what democrats did to the GOP.

Democrats did what the GOP did to Obama. More compromise? No. Nancy Pelosi took a 180 during Trump's presidency and got all sorts of stupid. Look how complicated the stimulus bill got. She even got killed on CNN of all places about it.

If you ask me, Trump, Biden, Obama, etc. were never the problem. A two-party, f***ed up congress is to blame.

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

@sonic_spark said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

The thread is about McConnell opposing any justice to the supreme court, correct? So my point stands, the democrats did the exact same thing in Trump's last year. So relevant to the topic, McConnell is just doing what democrats did to the GOP.

Democrats did what the GOP did to Obama. More compromise? No. Nancy Pelosi took a 180 during Trump's presidency and got all sorts of stupid. Look how complicated the stimulus bill got. She even got killed on CNN of all places about it.

If you ask me, Trump, Biden, Obama, etc. were never the problem. A two-party, f***ed up congress is to blame.

You know why they opposed the last minute nominations then look no further than Obama's nominations when the Republicans said no judges should be decided in an election year.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: Yeah, he's definitely gifted politically. It's just too bad he uses those skills for evil.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105: Yeah, he's definitely gifted politically. It's just too bad he uses those skills for evil.

He is gifted with a supporting base that will vote for him no matter what. That's his biggest gift.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad

@sonic_spark said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

Loading Video...

It's a red herring, a whataboutism. Your deflection wont work here.

Are you seriously kidding me?

Democrats, have been notorious for their compromising. To the point we even have a term for it: "Obama Compromise". Trump on the other hand, was arguably responsible for 2 government shutdowns and even the shutdown of 2013 was largely due to the childish play of republicans.

Democrats are far from perfect. But they have a long way to go before they before they get anywhere close to Mitch Mcconnell.

The two party system sure as hell doesnt help, and it is a large cause, but a bigger cause are the bad faith actors. People like Mitch McConnel, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

Seriously.

I understand the need to hate on all politicians and iirc you said you are not a right-wing Trump/GOP fanatic (I think...could be thinking of a different user), but at the same time you don't really attack the GOP the way you do the Democrats, so maybe you should a.) pick a side and make peace with it, or b.) attack both sides.

Isn't the only times he attacks GOP it is with the both sides arguments?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonic_spark

@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

Loading Video...

Democrats, have been notorious for their compromising. To the point we even have a term for it: "Obama Compromise". Trump on the other hand, was arguably responsible for 2 government shutdowns and even the shutdown of 2013 was largely due to the childish play of republicans.

Democrats are far from perfect. But they have a long way to go before they before they get anywhere close to Mitch Mcconnell.

The two party system sure as hell doesnt help, and it is a large cause, but a bigger cause are the bad faith actors. People like Mitch McConnel, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich.

It's not like we are disagreeing here. Newt Gingrich started this all. McConnel would put a knife in his own mother's back if he thought it did him a favour. I don't agree that Trump was the problem. Trump's problem was being surrounded by incompetence and snakes. Trump created other problems but that's a much different discussion.

Democrats have bent over, but now it's like a 180 turn in the complete opposite direction. But the party has completely lost it's way. It's essentially the story of two parties in a civil war, progressive vs. moderates. Meanwhile, the GOP are just morons and would do anything to spite the dems. I couldn't name one republican that would be good to run in 2024.

If you ask me, the progressives, woke politics and political correctness are the worst things to happen to the dems.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

McConnell has always been one to use every tactic available. He does not care about precedent or keeping his word. This is why democrats should push through everything they can, which means eliminating the filibuster (ignoring that the modern use is bastardized), then think about expanding the SC in response to his 'precedent setting' actions the last decade.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@HoolaHoopMan: Eliminating the filibuster is no easy task, more so since two Democrats sold the party out.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@thenation said:

@HoolaHoopMan: Eliminating the filibuster is no easy task, more so since two Democrats sold the party out.

Yep, and the reservations they make are quite absurd, ignoring historical perspective and reality.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#33 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Speculating on nominations, or even consideration of nominations, 2-3 years from now? Might be an interesting topic during the midterms, especially if the desperation of Democrats to retire Bryer continues its fervor.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mattbbpl

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Speculating on nominations, or even consideration of nominations, 2-3 years from now? Might be an interesting topic during the midterms, especially if the desperation of Democrats to retire Bryer continues its fervor.

Here we have the GOP head who controls such nominations straight up telling us that he'd block the nomination, and you're calling it speculation? This is straight from the horse's mouth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@Stevo_the_gamer: He needs to, but only if Biden can choose his replacement. 7 - 2 conservative majority would be a disaster of biblical proportions.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#36 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@mattbbpl: No, I call it speculation when the main arc of the argument rests entirely *on* speculation - a la the retirement of a sitting judge or the unfortunate passing of one during a time period years from now. It's a completely silly topic. But you're shocked a politician wants to showcase political posturing? Hm.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:

DNC? You seem confused.

I think you might want to learn what DNC stands for before we continue this discussion. The DNC has no power to block judicial appointments nor is in control of the senate.

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Eoten
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Seriously.

Because 99% of the threads started on here are emotional, over-sensationalized BS about how evil one party is while defending the other. Case in point, this one. Pearl clutching because Republicans did something Democrats have done for decades, and then pretending they haven't is just being a hypocrite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@eoten: Do you have they ability to go against Republicans on anything? I have never seen you do it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eoten

@thenation said:

@eoten: Do you have they ability to go against Republicans on anything? I have never seen you do it.

Did I say Republicans don't do it? I don't recall I did. I am pointing out the intellectual dishonesty in this thread pretending this behavior is specific to Republicans. However, I don't see you calling out the left for doing it, just getting pissy because I pointed out it's not just Republicans. Your lack of self awareness is amusing though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@eoten: Do you have to attack people? And where did Democrats say they were going to block them just for the sake of blocking? Don’t accuse, I want some proof.

How can I call out Democrats for something I have yet to see them do? And no, kavanaugh doesn’t count.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eoten

@thenation said:

@eoten: Do you have to attack people? And where did Democrats say they were going to block them just for the sake of blocking? Don’t accuse, I want some proof.

How can I call out Democrats for something I have yet to see them do? And no, kavanaugh doesn’t count.

Oh, so now you're a victim of attacks because I pointed out your blind devoted fanboyism after you accused me, erroneously of that same thing. The fact you haven't seen Democrats do it tells me you're either very, very young, or only follow media outlets that intentionally mislead and white wash that fact. If you're any kind of victim, it's of being mislead by fake news. The DNC has done it, multiple times, and even used the fillibuster to block a nomination to the appeals court under Bush.

I'll give you another fact I'm guessing you also don't know. Both parties have been doing it for a very, very long time. Long before even your parents were born.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@eoten: Just as I expected. I asked you for proof they blocked just for the sake of blocking, you gave me nothing. 👍 (I will always ask you to prove your lines, because I know you can’t)

Calling someone pissy is an insult, the above is hypocrisy.

This maybe a huge shock to you, but it is possible to criticize each side equally. Right now it’s Republicans doing it, not Democrats. So why attack Democrats over something the Republicans are doing? You are giving Republicans a pass, you shouldn’t. If you want any hypocrisy from me, wait until the Democrats do it before you assume it.

For now, Republicans.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Maroxad

@sonic_spark said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:
@Maroxad said:
@sonic_spark said:

Loading Video...

It's not like we are disagreeing here. Newt Gingrich started this all. McConnel would put a knife in his own mother's back if he thought it did him a favour. I don't agree that Trump was the problem. Trump's problem was being surrounded by incompetence and snakes. Trump created other problems but that's a much different discussion.

Democrats have bent over, but now it's like a 180 turn in the complete opposite direction. But the party has completely lost it's way. It's essentially the story of two parties in a civil war, progressive vs. moderates. Meanwhile, the GOP are just morons and would do anything to spite the dems. I couldn't name one republican that would be good to run in 2024.

If you ask me, the progressives, woke politics and political correctness are the worst things to happen to the dems.

Trump took an existing issue, and eschalated it for personal gain. That is why he is part to blame for the current situation. Don't forget, this is the guy who would spend months harping on Blue States during COVID.

You mean a 360 degree turn, right? (just jesting old system wars joke)

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eoten

@thenation said:

@eoten: Just as I expected. I asked you for proof they blocked just for the sake of blocking, you gave me nothing. 👍 (I will always ask you to prove your lines, because I know you can’t)

Calling someone pissy is an insult, the above is hypocrisy.

This maybe a huge shock to you, but it is possible to criticize each side equally. Right now it’s Republicans doing it, not Democrats. So why attack Democrats over something the Republicans are doing? You are giving Republicans a pass, you shouldn’t. If you want any hypocrisy from me, wait until the Democrats do it before you assume it.

For now, Republicans.

You're more than capable of educating yourself. Your echo chamber isn't going to do it for you. I don't care if you don't think they've done it or not. Your ignorance is no concern of mine. If you want to spend your life in that echo chamber, go for it. It's why I won't take anything you say credibly and almost all your arguments are nothing but emotion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrbojangles25

@eoten said:
@thenation said:

Oh, so now you're a victim of attacks because I pointed out your blind devoted fanboyism after you accused me, erroneously of that same thing. The fact you haven't seen Democrats do it tells me you're either very, very young, or only follow media outlets that intentionally mislead and white wash that fact. If you're any kind of victim, it's of being mislead by fake news. The DNC has done it, multiple times, and even used the fillibuster to block a nomination to the appeals court under Bush.

I'll give you another fact I'm guessing you also don't know. Both parties have been doing it for a very, very long time. Long before even your parents were born.

Damn, bro....and you accuse us of being emotional?

Put your money where you mouth is and let's have an objective discussion about how Democrats are as guilty (with examples) of obstructionism as Republicans are.

You won't hurt my feelings, I don't like either party, it's just clear to me that the Republicans are the far far far far far greater evil here.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 horgen  Moderator

@eoten said:
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Seriously.

Because 99% of the threads started on here are emotional, over-sensationalized BS about how evil one party is while defending the other. Case in point, this one. Pearl clutching because Republicans did something Democrats have done for decades, and then pretending they haven't is just being a hypocrite.

Has Democratic Party blocked for the sake of blocking?

Grim Reaper has been Moscow Mitch selfmade nickname for years already.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Eoten

@mrbojangles25 said:
@eoten said:
@thenation said:

Damn, bro....and you accuse us of being emotional?

Put your money where you mouth is and let's have an objective discussion about how Democrats are as guilty (with examples) of obstructionism as Republicans are.

You won't hurt my feelings, I don't like either party, it's just clear to me that the Republicans are the far far far far far greater evil here.

Really? Here's footage of Schumer in 2007 promising to do everything in his power to block any appointments Bush might make to the Supreme Court in the last few years of his term.

Loading Video...

They vowed to block all Bush appointees in 2004. In 1992, they blocked John Roberts from a seat on the DC Court of appeals nominated by H.W Bush. Here is Joe Biden's comments then. Do these words sound familiar to you? It's almost word for word exactly what McConnel said in 2016, don't you think?

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mrbojangles25

@eoten: nice, I was looking for a reason to not like Democrats. Thanks.

Though admittedly Biden has a point about not appointing judges towards the end of a president's tenure.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Eoten

@mrbojangles25 said:

@eoten: nice, I was looking for a reason to not like Democrats. Thanks.

Though admittedly Biden has a point about not appointing judges towards the end of a president's tenure.

If so, then you don't have a problem with McConnel doing it either.

Personally, I couldn't care less either way. At the end of the day, someone from one of the two parties is going to make a nomination to help themselves, and it'll be confirmed. But it's been going on even long before the 90s which makes this thread a massive nothingburger that only highlights the poster's general ignorance of politics that he believed this was actually something unique to one party.