Leaked plans for Executive Order to allow FCC and FTC to further police social media

• 57 results
Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@n64dd: Aren’t you against it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Having guidelines for social media isnt infringing on free speech. You have to look at the platform as a whole. Social media is not just people talking/adding friends, etc. It has become part of business, its entertainment. It encompasses a lot of areas and for that reason it should follow guidelines just like any other entertainment platform.

We wonder why the youth is committing all these acts of violence when kids are under, or read, constant verbal assault on social media. Thats actually a crime. It goes completely over peoples heads, and because people can do it in a faceless manner it happens quite frequently.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

Okay, to put this in perspective for everyone:

This entire topic is basically a rehash on old arguments about hate speech in America, specifically it being allowed or not, with the two sides being reversed on their positions. I'm seeing the exact same arguments used, only it's the opposite sides using them.

And the one thing that I'm noticing those who oppose this are forgetting: Getting a proper President in office means this will protect both sides, but clamp down harder on the hate speech and incitement of violence. After all, federal oversight means that a lot of social media sites that simply sit back and do nothing about inciting terrorism will have to actually do something for once. It'll also make services likle Cloudflare less willing to step in and protect them.

About the only reason I can see for liberal opposition to this is if you cannot see any way to get a Democrat as President within the next twelve years.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Lol i was try to communicate what i want to say but its proving difficult.

Free speech is free speech. However, you have people that manipulate the youth on platforms like facebook. You have people spreading nonsense as fact to those not in the know, which can provoke the youth to, for example, join in on their agenda.

I know this is coming across as a rant maybe but there are all these weird new types of ways that kids bully other kids or strange cults that use social media. Wasnt there something about terrorists groups recruiting younger kids through social media? So this manipulative type of free speech should go unregulated? Its psychological attacks on people, disguised as free speech. Now, this is only an example. For someone like myself itd just be a fart in the wind, but the tech companies should be held liable for things that may stem from things stirred up on social media.

Its a cancer to society, as are these sad journalists with such angular reporting, you can hardly call it news, so thats free speech? Or is it spreading propaganda?

I agree 100% that social media is a cancer and especially to young kids who not only get a messed up sense of how people should behave but also look at feel.

So I am all for one of two things to happen, either Facebook and Google get split up, so they do not own major parts of the social media landscape, IE Google is removed as part of Youtube, and Facebook is split into separate parts or they get declared a public utility so the very far-left can´t remove people just because they don´t share their anti-liberal views.

As to what is happening on social media, well that is, free speech at work, anyone should be able to stand up at the town square and yell whatever they want that is how democracy work, any form of censorship is still censoring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Lol i was try to communicate what i want to say but its proving difficult.

Free speech is free speech. However, you have people that manipulate the youth on platforms like facebook. You have people spreading nonsense as fact to those not in the know, which can provoke the youth to, for example, join in on their agenda.

I know this is coming across as a rant maybe but there are all these weird new types of ways that kids bully other kids or strange cults that use social media. Wasnt there something about terrorists groups recruiting younger kids through social media? So this manipulative type of free speech should go unregulated? Its psychological attacks on people, disguised as free speech. Now, this is only an example. For someone like myself itd just be a fart in the wind, but the tech companies should be held liable for things that may stem from things stirred up on social media.

Its a cancer to society, as are these sad journalists with such angular reporting, you can hardly call it news, so thats free speech? Or is it spreading propaganda?

I agree 100% that social media is a cancer and especially to young kids who not only get a messed up sense of how people should behave but also look at feel.

So I am all for one of two things to happen, either Facebook and Google get split up, so they do not own major parts of the social media landscape, IE Google is removed as part of Youtube, and Facebook is split into separate parts or they get declared a public utility so the very far-left can´t remove people just because they don´t share their anti-liberal views.

As to what is happening on social media, well that is, free speech at work, anyone should be able to stand up at the town square and yell whatever they want that is how democracy work, any form of censorship is still censoring.

What about when things enter private messaging? Say for example a group of people repeatedly message someone so as to try and intimidate? Sure you can block said user(s) but what if it continues? And what if someone were to recieve indirect threats by ways as simple as friend requests, etc.

This is not free speech. Theres a line that people understand they cam cross *because* of the platform. Is this making any sense?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

ITT conservatives that are for small government and amendment rights applauding more government intervention in private lives and restrictions on amendment rights. Wow!

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

ITT conservatives that are for small government and amendment rights applauding more government intervention in private lives and restrictions on amendment rights. Wow!

A couple of us are liberals who see this move for the dumbassed mistake that will hurt conservatives massively in the long run that it is. About the only way conservatives benefit in the long term is if liberal political power implodes before 2024.