Jon Stewart slams US Congress during 9/11 hearing

• 57 results
#1 Edited by nintendoboy16 (36347 posts) -

Jeez... sad to see something like this, and I don't blame Jon for going off on this.

#2 Edited by Serraph105 (33860 posts) -

It's really sad to me that this is even an issue that anyone, let alone Jon Stewart, has to continually champion to keep congress funding it.

#3 Posted by mattbbpl (17238 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: I can't get video at the moment. What's his criticism?

#4 Posted by Serraph105 (33860 posts) -

@mattbbpl: That congress keeps trying to avoid fully fund the healthcare of 9/11 first responders and just kind of forget about them.

#5 Posted by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

Congress held a hearing on renewing benefits for 9/11 first responders. The attending committee was a skeleton crew at best, so Jon Stewart got (rightfully) pissed off at congress for half-assing something as simple as allowing funding to former first responders from a major national crisis.

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36347 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

The Hill has a written version.

"As I sit here today, I can't help but think what an incredible metaphor this room is for the entire process of getting health care and benefits for 9/11 first responders has come to," Stewart said at the beginning of his remarks at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing on reauthorizing the September 11th Victims Compensation Fund (VCF).

"Sick and dying, they brought themselves down here to speak and no one — it's shameful," the former "Daily Show" host said.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves for those that aren't here," Stewart said, his voice wavering at times, "but you won't be, because accountability doesn't appear to be something that occurs in this chamber."

"None of these people want to be here," Stewart continued of the sick and injured survivors. "But they are. They're not here for themselves. They're here to continue fighting for what's right."

Stewart noted there wasn't a single lawmaker at the hearing who on the anniversary of September 11 failed to tweet, "Never forget the heroes of 9/11."

"Well here they are!" the 56-year-old comedian exclaimed. "And where are they?"

"It would be one thing if their callous indifference and rank hypocrisy were benign, but it's not," Stewart, shaking his head, continued as he spoke to Congress. "Your indifference costs these men and women their most valuable commodity: time. It's the one thing they're running out of."

Later in the hearing, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) appeared to respond to Stewart's remarks, saying, "I'm going to defend the institution, it's sometimes not easy to defend. But it's the bulwark of democracy — and that's the United States Congress."

Cohen pointed out that the hearing was held by the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties.

"My subcommittee, every single member on my side, which is eight of us, have been here today," Cohen continued. "All these empty chairs that's because it's for the full committee, not because it's disrespect or lack of attention to you."

Cohen noted that some lawmakers could have conflicting committee hearings and meetings, or be visiting with constituents or watching on TV.

Saying he appreciated what Stewart has "done and what you do, and what you've said," Cohen added, "the Congress will respond."

Stewart has been a frequent presence on Capitol Hill, urging lawmakers to ensure that the VCF remains fully funded. The VCF announced earlier this year that it was running out of money, saying in February that it could face cuts of 50 to 70 percent. Proponents of the legislation to fully fund it say the compensation funding for survivors should be made permanent.

Stewart expressed frustration at the pace of the legislation, questioning why "this is so damn hard and takes so damn long."

"I'm sorry if I sound angry and undiplomatic. But I'm angry, and you should be, too. And they're all angry as well. And they have every justification to be that way."

"They responded in five seconds. They did their jobs," an impassioned Stewart said of the first responders.

"Eighteen years later," Stewart added forcefully, "do yours!"

#7 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:
Loading Video...

Jeez... sad to see something like this, and I don't blame Jon for going off on this.

Sad to see this. I agree we should take care of those people.

#8 Posted by mattbbpl (17238 posts) -

@n64dd: How can we? Taxation is unfair!

#9 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

I never said it isn't fair.

#10 Posted by Zaryia (9059 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

Got em'

#11 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -

This is just so insane, we have another thread where state Democrats want to give medicare to illegals but at the same time, they refuse to give fully funded healthcare to the first responders of 9/11 who only took 5sec to respond.

It´s insanity when Americans have to sit back at the end of the line to illegals because it´s not as "popular" in the public eye

Every single politician who was not there and keeps refusing to do the right thing should be voted out of office but that is not going to happen because F.... the first responders.

#12 Edited by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

This is just so insane, we have another thread where state Democrats want to give medicare to illegals but at the same time, they refuse to give fully funded healthcare to the first responders of 9/11 who only took 5sec to respond.

It´s insanity when Americans have to sit back at the end of the line to illegals because it´s not as "popular" in the public eye

Every single politician who was not there and keeps refusing to do the right thing should be voted out of office but that is not going to happen because F.... the first responders.

lol wat?

Of the current sponsors for the bill, the overwhelming majority of House democrats sponsor the current bill, versus a minority of republicans. In the Senate, it's 29 democrat cosponsors vs 10 republicans/independents.

At the sub-committee hearing, only 2 of 6 republican members attended. All of the democratic members were there.

So before you start blaming "them," I want you to have proper perspective.

#13 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16077 posts) -

@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol wat?

Of the current sponsors for the bill, the overwhelming majority of House democrats sponsor the current bill, versus a minority of republicans. In the Senate, it's 29 democrat cosponsors vs 10 republicans/independents.

At the sub-committee hearing, only 2 of 6 republican members attended. All of the democratic members were there.

lulz

#14 Edited by Zaryia (9059 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol wat?

Jacanuk never knows what he's talking about.

#15 Posted by firedrakes (1954 posts) -

n64 is as troll. from the brief talk i had with the person. i block him. stop saying which party was their. the rep should have been their to do their job. they where elected to do.

#16 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@firedrakes said:

n64 is as troll. from the brief talk i had with the person. i block him. stop saying which party was their. the rep should have been their to do their job. they where elected to do.

I agreed with the OP which I never do. Check your emotions at the door.

#17 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol wat?

Sponsors are one thing but actually doing something is a whole other thing and unless you saw something I didn´t that congress hearing was more empty than your failed arguments.

Also, New York is a democratic lead state, so why aren´t there already bills being put in place to protect and help the first responders? As you can see with California clearly it´s no problem to extend it to illegals so it can be done.

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@zaryia said:

And Zayiatroll makes another failed troll attempt.

But losing, again and again, must take its toll I guess.

#19 Posted by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

lol wat?

Sponsors are one thing but actually doing something is a whole other thing and unless you saw something I didn´t that congress hearing was more empty than your failed arguments.

Also, New York is a democratic lead state, so why aren´t there already bills being put in place to protect and help the first responders? As you can see with California clearly it´s no problem to extend it to illegals so it can be done.

lol what failed arguments? The facts as they exist?

First of all genius this is a subcommittee, operating out of the judiciary committee. The reason it looks "empty," as is even noted in a statement by one member of the committee in response to the speech, is that there are always seats available for the full committee, but only 14 members on the subcommittee. That said, I reiterate that all the democratic members attended and 4 of 6 republican members did not.

Second of all, your notion that this is all on New York to deal with is hilarious and obtuse. Are you not aware that it's been 18 years, and those who were responders on that day have since moved all over the country and didn't all just sit in New York? Moreover, New York specifically didn't create a bill because this was already being handled at a federal level, which is where it's about to die if it isn't renewed. Perhaps New York will try something, but that remains to be seen on whether congress gets anything done.

#20 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

lol wat?

First of all genius this is a subcommittee, operating out of the judiciary committee. The reason it looks "empty," as is even noted in a statement by one member of the committee in response to the speech, is that there are always seats available for the full committee, but only 14 members on the subcommittee. That said, I reiterate that all the democratic members attended and 4 of 6 republican members did not.

Second of all, your notion that this is all on New York to deal with is hilarious and obtuse. Are you not aware that it's been 18 years, and those who were responders on that day have since moved all over the country and didn't all just sit in New York? Moreover, New York specifically didn't create a bill because this was already being handled at a federal level, which is where it's about to die if it isn't renewed. Perhaps New York will try something, but that remains to be seen on whether congress gets anything done.

And you keep on going with the failed arguments, why don´t you just come out and say that you don´t think anyone should help these first responders and that it´s much better giving free healthcare to illegals.

Also, no one said that this is all on New York alone, but considering your absolutely failed argument that Democrats are on the barricades to help them, it´s funny that we had 8 years with a democratic lead president and nothing gone done there. There is a democratic lead state legislator and still, nothing have been done.

While in California Democrats have no problem in giving millions in free care to illegals who have done nothing or should even be considered for this.

#21 Edited by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

And you keep on going with the failed arguments, why don´t you just come out and say that you don´t think anyone should help these first responders and that it´s much better giving free healthcare to illegals.

Also, no one said that this is all on New York alone, but considering your absolutely failed argument that Democrats are on the barricades to help them, it´s funny that we had 8 years with a democratic lead president and nothing gone done there. There is a democratic lead state legislator and still, nothing have been done.

While in California Democrats have no problem in giving millions in free care to illegals who have done nothing or should even be considered for this.

Keep telling yourself they're failed arguments as you have literally nothing to counter them other that pitiful conjecture about my own stance.

And based on that second paragraph having literally nothing to do with this given that the timeline has it cutting funding this year, and given that the majority of those 8 years were republican congress and we still have a republican senate, I have to just assume you're trolling at this point, presumably from the salt of being called out on a fabrication. So I'll be leaving it here.

#22 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

Keep telling yourself they're failed arguments as you have literally nothing to counter them other that pitiful conjecture about my own stance.

And based on that second paragraph having literally nothing to do with this given that the timeline has it cutting funding this year, and given that the majority of those 8 years were republican congress and we still have a republican senate, I have to just assume you're trolling at this point, presumably from the salt of being called out on a fabrication. So I'll be leaving it here.

What on earth are you talking about? you have zero valid arguments as to why nothing has been done in the almost 20 years since 9/11 happened, all you come with is some failed argument that Democrats have sponsored the bill, which means zero when they don´t also do something active to get it past, or at least work together with the Democrats in New York to get these American heroes some healthcare , I know you probably like the democrats and republicans are just waiting for them to die off, but at least try to come up with some actual valid arguments.

So as to trolling, so far you are the biggest one here, not only do you seem to be for nothing being done, but you are also making this into a partisan shit fest. So yea let´s stop here because you clearly have no other objective than to troll and derail this thread.

#23 Posted by Vaasman (13729 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

So as to trolling, so far you are the biggest one here, not only do you seem to be for nothing being done, but you are also making this into a partisan shit fest. So yea let´s stop here because you clearly have no other objective than to troll and derail this thread.

Your salty projection is amusing, but not worth much else. In the future, you should probably just bail when you make provably false statements ;)

#24 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:

Your salty projection is amusing, but not worth much else. In the future, you should probably just bail when you make provably false statements ;)

False statements? you just keep trolling

Perhaps you should try to watch the video and listen to Stewart and realize that this is both sides and the idea to cut in the first responder's bill came from both sides. And that is an absolute disgrace, considering the sacrifice they made.

But you continue with the partisan shit, it´s not like anyone will be surprised by it and next time try to come up with actual arguments.

#25 Edited by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

#26 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -

@Vaasman:

#27 Edited by Zaryia (9059 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

But losing, again and again, must take its toll I guess.

I'd like direct citation in the form of quotes for this because I can PM multiple people here as well as provide massive quotation linking to verify you've pretty much never won a debate against me. I can prove without question I've beaten you multiple times which usually involved me linking peer reviewed studies and/or official ICA/DOJ documentation and the threads ending abruptly at that point.

We most debated on Russian Interference and National Polling. I was right on both topics, so that's dozens of threads btw.

#28 Edited by Zaryia (9059 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

I'm not trolling, dude he objectively proved you wrong. You're just spamming angrily now.

#29 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (1886 posts) -

@zaryia: You're terrible at debating. Half the time you've quoted me you failed to understand my point, and then spam a bunch of links to counter arguments that I wasn't making.

#30 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10791 posts) -

This would be a pretty easy win for Trump to help out and fund it. But everyone knows 9/11 is just a rally call to invoke fear and drum up a certain portion of his ignorant establishment.

#31 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

I'm not trolling, dude he objectively proved you wrong. You're just spamming angrily now.

Only you would believe that.

That poster did nothing of the kind, all he did was go "nananananana your side is worse nananana" and completely take focus away from the fact that these American heroes have to go begging for help for the illness that they got in the line of duty.

No one, not even the Democrats in New York who have gone above and beyond for illegals will back these sick first responders, so contiune the partisan shit instead of facing the facts that politicians are morally corrupt and only care about what will get them elected next time.

#32 Posted by mattbbpl (17238 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan: It's also worthy to note that this wouldn't be an issue at all with universal healthcare.

#33 Posted by Vaasman (13729 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

That poster did nothing of the kind, all he did was go "nananananana your side is worse nananana" and completely take focus away from the fact that these American heroes have to go begging for help for the illness that they got in the line of duty.

@Jacanuk said:

If you are going to spin a story to make me look like the instigator you should probably delete your post first.

#34 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

Jesus, 18 years? Feels like yesterday. Remember every minute of that day.

I've always liked Jon Stewart. Damn, that guy was shaking with anger. I generally don't like theatrics like this but that was righteous. Get 'em, Jon.

Those first responders deserve anything they need to get healthy. Also they shouldn't have to pay taxes. Or rent.

#35 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

Was there any response to Stewart filmed? Would love to see it.

@zaryia said:
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol wat?

Plus, you know, this is the USA, wealthiest nation on earth. The money is there if they actually want to use it for this. How many first responders can there be? A few thousand? FFS just give them what they need.

This is politicians just being politicians.

#36 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10791 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

@HoolaHoopMan: It's also worthy to note that this wouldn't be an issue at all with universal healthcare.

But that would be a large step towards socialism. Can't have that now.

#37 Posted by comp_atkins (35747 posts) -

$1 trillion happily squirted out to bomb brown people in a country that had nothing to fucking do with 9/11 and we get this for the people who sacrificed their future welfare to help others that day..

stay classy, america

#38 Edited by Horgen (120637 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

lol wat?

Eh... you did.

#39 Posted by jeezers (3030 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

This would be a pretty easy win for Trump to help out and fund it. But everyone knows 9/11 is just a rally call to invoke fear and drum up a certain portion of his ignorant establishment.

Trumps administration has done everything they can, Jon Stewart (who has been critical of trump) praised his administration for getting claims through quicker than they ever had before. This was back in February. https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/jon-stewart-victims-911-first-responders/2019/02/25/id/904303/

This is ultimately on congress being stupid and using it as leverage for other BS they want passed.

#40 Posted by Master_Live (19561 posts) -

Oh Jon, why did you inflicted Trevor Noah on us? You look so frail.

#41 Posted by comp_atkins (35747 posts) -
@jeezers said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Trumps administration has done everything they can, Jon Stewart (who has been critical of trump) praised his administration for getting claims through quicker than they ever had before. This was back in February. https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/jon-stewart-victims-911-first-responders/2019/02/25/id/904303/

This is ultimately on congress being stupid and using it as leverage for other BS they want passed.

yup. fighting over oil.

what that has to do w/ sick first responsders, only mcconnell knows.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/9-11-first-responders-sen-mcconnell-stop-blocking-bill-n473071

#42 Posted by Horgen (120637 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@jeezers said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

yup. fighting over oil.

what that has to do w/ sick first responsders, only mcconnell knows.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/9-11-first-responders-sen-mcconnell-stop-blocking-bill-n473071

Typical McConnell. Hasn't he already stated he will block everything he can if Democrats win 2020?

#43 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@horgen said:

Eh... you did.

Not really.

What I said was that considering that California seems to be able to provide care for their illegals, it´s puzzling that New York despite the fact that Congress should of course just give more money to the FR-bill have not made a bill in New York considering the "Democrats are so keen to help"

@Vaasman said:

If you are going to spin a story to make me look like the instigator you should probably delete your post first.

Eh? all you did was come with some lame failed argument that "your side is worse" nothing else,

So yes you did instigate the derailment and it´s kinda sad that you are so partisan that you care zero about these FR´s

#44 Posted by Horgen (120637 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

Eh... you did.

Not really.

What I said was that considering that California seems to be able to provide care for their illegals, it´s puzzling that New York despite the fact that Congress should of course just give more money to the FR-bill have not made a bill in New York considering the "Democrats are so keen to help"

@Vaasman said:

Eh? all you did was come with some lame failed argument that "your side is worse" nothing else,

So yes you did instigate the derailment and it´s kinda sad that you are so partisan that you care zero about these FR´s

California only do it within the state. Given the impact of 9/11 I understand that New York want congress to deal with it. It's always possible NY will if congress fails though.

#45 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

Eh... you did.

Not really.

@Vaasman said:

California only do it within the state. Given the impact of 9/11 I understand that New York want congress to deal with it. It's always possible NY will if congress fails though.

And New York could do the same thing, considering that most of the impacted were FDNY, NYPD and the Port Authorities and many other agencies and volunteers. Democrats in New York should have the month after have made the bill ready so these heroes could get the proper care instead of hiding behind the idiotic Republicans who fought it on every front and try to get around it with the good old "pre-existing/not related" nonsense.

It´s things like this that makes me embarrassed to even vote for a Republican but also any democrats who try to hide behind empty promises.

#46 Posted by Vaasman (13729 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Vaasman said:

Why lie? You haven't even edited your posted to reflect this narrative. You didn't counter my "failed argument" once, and just calling it a failed argument in and of itself is a meaningless statement. The facts are, the spots where this proposal has died are distinctly one-sided against the GOP. And you keep saying I'm partisan but you called out the Democratic party before anyone. These are both reality. You can't change that.

Also why are you lying about me "not caring" even though I've never conveyed that notion once? I watched Stewart's entire speech. I literally went out of my way for the bills congressional status and information. But sure I "don't care." Evidence isn't adding up.

Keeping myself on topic, the panel has unanimously voted to pass the bill to the House.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/house-panel-unanimously-passes-9-11-victims-fund-bill-after-jon-stewart-shaming/?utm_source=reddit.com

This will almost certainly pass there, and the Senate, according to this article, is ramping up for a pass, though not veto-proof. I can't imagine a world where Trump would veto, but then it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by this white house.

#47 Posted by Jacanuk (18613 posts) -
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:

Why lie? You haven't even edited your posted to reflect this narrative. You didn't counter my "failed argument" once, and just calling it a failed argument in and of itself is a meaningless statement. The facts are, the spots where this proposal has died are distinctly one-sided against the GOP. And you keep saying I'm partisan but you called out the Democratic party before anyone. These are both reality. You can't change that.

Also why are you lying about me "not caring" even though I've never conveyed that notion once? I watched Stewart's entire speech. I literally went out of my way for the bills congressional status and information. But sure I "don't care." Evidence isn't adding up.

Keeping myself on topic, the panel has unanimously voted to pass the bill to the House.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/house-panel-unanimously-passes-9-11-victims-fund-bill-after-jon-stewart-shaming/?utm_source=reddit.com

This will almost certainly pass there, and the Senate, according to this article, is ramping up for a pass, though not veto-proof. I can't imagine a world where Trump would veto, but then it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by this white house.

Lie? Come on you clearly didn´t once attempt to deal with the topic or even do anything but be partisan and come with failed arguments that the democrats were the good guys for sponsoring a bill, again sponsoring and making empty promises is not being the good guy unless it´s followed up by actual action.

Anyways to stick to the topic, good that this bill was passed on and will fly through the congress because it should and anyone who votes against it should be voted out of office no matter what they have done or do.

Also i doubt Trump will Veto this because if he does, he will kill any chance of ever getting even close to re-election.

#48 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10791 posts) -

@jeezers said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Trump has the ability to direct his party as he sees fit. This isn't just a Congressional issue. The president is the leader of the his party.

From your very own source, 'Stewart said the proper funding "comes down to 12 Republicans on the Senate side" needed to vote to help replenish the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund.'

#49 Edited by Zaryia (9059 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

Lie? Come on you clearly didn´t once attempt to deal with the topic or even do anything but be partisan and come with failed arguments that the democrats were the good guys for sponsoring a bill, again sponsoring and making empty promises is not being the good guy unless it´s followed up by actual action.

Uh huh

On Fox News, Stewart said McConnell "has been the white whale" of passing funding for the first responders for years.

"Not all Republicans oppose this, but everyone who has opposed it is a Republican," he added.

#50 Edited by Zaryia (9059 posts) -

Very fine people, on both sides.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=2&vote=00269

• Alexander (R-TN)
  • Barrasso (R-WY)
  • Bennett (R-UT)
  • Bond (R-MO)
  • Brown (R-MA)
  • Bunning (R-KY)
  • Burr (R-NC)
  • Chambliss (R-GA)
  • Coburn (R-OK)
  • Cochran (R-MS)
  • Collins (R-ME)
  • Corker (R-TN)