Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

The Tweet

Article from Variety.

J.K. Rowling has sparked backlash after offering support to Maya Forstater, a researcher who lost her job after tweeting that a person cannot change their biological sex.

Rowling took to social media herself Thursday morning, writing, “Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill”

Rowling’s comments in support of Forstater, who was a visiting fellow at the Centre for Global Development, came after the researcher lost a court challenge against her termination at the CGD. According to the Guardian, Judge James Tayler ruled that Forstater’s termination was valid since her “absolutist” beliefs regarding biological sex includes referring to a person “by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.”

Forstater’s initial tweet read, “What I am so surprised at is that smart people who I admire, who are absolutely pro-science in other areas, and champion human rights & womens rights are tying themselves in knots to avoid saying the truth that men cannot change into women (because that might hurt mens feelings).”

Rowling’s stance quickly received widespread criticism. The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group, were among the many who were vocal on social media to condemn Rowling’s position on the subject.

“Trans women are women. Trans men are men. Non-binary people are non-binary. CC: JK Rowling,” the company wrote on Twitter.

Casey McQuiston, author of the queer romance novel “Red, White and Royal Blue,” also offered support on social media to the LGBTQ community.

“Hi. breaking my hiatus real quick just to say: f— what your childhood heroes say. trans people are real. trans people deserve to be protected, recognized, supported, and loved. if that infringes on your idea of feminism, you’re not actually a feminist at all. you’re a bigot.”

I'll always love Harry Potter, but I'm officially separating her from it like my mom does Morrissey with the Smiths.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Fact: You can't change your biological sex. I'm actually talking about changing from XX to XY or vice versa.

her “absolutist” beliefs regarding biological sex includes referring to a person “by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.”

Also true: It is preferable not to be a jerk at work.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@nintendoboy16: lmao JK Rowling is a far left moron and she supports a lady who stated a basic fact and now you abandon her? Lmao I love watching you psychopaths eat yourselves alive!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendoboy16

@Master_Live: @r-gamer: Tell that to Blaire White, a trans alt-right supporter.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@r-gamer: liberals

Are so lost

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Time for all the lefty sites to line up and try manufacture mass hate against her.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

It is true you cannot change your chromosomes, BUT... the thing most people tend to miss is...

Your sex isnt determined by chromosomes alone. Sex, biologically speaking is determined by 3 factors. Genotypic Sex (Chromosomes), Phenotypic Sex (Genitalia, Secondary Sex Characteristics, behaviour), Gender, being the most subjective one refers to the individuals perception of their own sex.

Genotypic Sex is immutable.

Phenoytpic Sex can be changed and this is what is changed when people transition.

Gender is has roots in both culture and biology.

Medically speaking, the best way to treat people with gender dysphoria is to switch their phenotypic sex to match their gender. This has by far the best results. Which is why the medical consensus overwhelmingly sees the transgender communities woes as completely valid. While the ones using bad science are the ones who tend to deny, or oversimplify sex to a middle school level of understanding.

Since she most likely was referring to Genotypic Sex, she isn't exactly wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I never liked Harry Potter anyways, half the time I had no idea what was going on. British accent is sometimes hard to understand, especially a drunk British person.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

The Tweet

Article from Variety.

J.K. Rowling has sparked backlash after offering support to Maya Forstater, a researcher who lost her job after tweeting that a person cannot change their biological sex.

Rowling took to social media herself Thursday morning, writing, “Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill”

Rowling’s comments in support of Forstater, who was a visiting fellow at the Centre for Global Development, came after the researcher lost a court challenge against her termination at the CGD. According to the Guardian, Judge James Tayler ruled that Forstater’s termination was valid since her “absolutist” beliefs regarding biological sex includes referring to a person “by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.”

Forstater’s initial tweet read, “What I am so surprised at is that smart people who I admire, who are absolutely pro-science in other areas, and champion human rights & womens rights are tying themselves in knots to avoid saying the truth that men cannot change into women (because that might hurt mens feelings).”

Rowling’s stance quickly received widespread criticism. The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group, were among the many who were vocal on social media to condemn Rowling’s position on the subject.

“Trans women are women. Trans men are men. Non-binary people are non-binary. CC: JK Rowling,” the company wrote on Twitter.

Casey McQuiston, author of the queer romance novel “Red, White and Royal Blue,” also offered support on social media to the LGBTQ community.

“Hi. breaking my hiatus real quick just to say: f— what your childhood heroes say. trans people are real. trans people deserve to be protected, recognized, supported, and loved. if that infringes on your idea of feminism, you’re not actually a feminist at all. you’re a bigot.”

I'll always love Harry Potter, but I'm officially separating her from it like my mom does Morrissey with the Smiths.

I've long accepted the fact that older liberals won't come around on a lot of social issues. It's sad for sure. It's really hard for me to see why someone like Rowling, who seems so accepting of disparate lifestyles, can come to the defense of someone who was clearly bullying other people because of theirs. Still, it doesn't surprise me. Don't trust anyone over forty, right?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

what the hell is a terf?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

what the hell is a terf?

Trans-exclusionary radical feminist. This means they are saying she is a transphobic feminist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

It’s always a bad idea to worship rich “liberals”. These people aren’t your heroes.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@comp_atkins said:

what the hell is a terf?

Trans-exclusionary radical feminist. This means they are saying she is a transphobic feminist.

as i get older i think about the point at which i might "check out"... it seems like with every generation many people "check out" over something... where they're just done changing and say "**** it, this is who i am, deal with it".

for my grandparents it seems like most checked out at overt racism being unacceptable

for my parents it was probably more like having to accept same sex marriage or not having disdain for immigrants

for me, it might be this incessant need to apply fucking labels to EVERYONE. it's impossible to keep up with the alphabet soup that describes who a person is or isn't.

this shit might be where i'm like

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

What's a terf?

And why are snowflakes conservatives so offended by it?

I guess it has something to do with treating people equally? Conservatives get pretty upset about that.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N64DD

@Nuck81 said:

What's a terf?

I guess it has something to do with treating people equally? Conservatives get pretty upset about that.

I honestly don't even know what is going to on to even get mad at it. I think you're in the same boat?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I kind of agree with Rowling. You shouldn't fire anyone just for stating that sex is real. People are allowed to have their own opinion?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

What's a terf?

Liberals are the ones trashing her right now, not sure why you are bringing up conservatives.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N64DD

@ad1x2 said:
@Nuck81 said:

What's a terf?

Liberals are the ones trashing her right now, not sure why you are bringing up conservatives.

He's just as confused as I am to be honest.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@Maroxad said:

It is true you cannot change your chromosomes, BUT... the thing most people tend to miss is...

Your sex isnt determined by chromosomes alone. Sex, biologically speaking is determined by 3 factors. Genotypic Sex (Chromosomes), Phenotypic Sex (Genitalia, Secondary Sex Characteristics, behaviour), Gender, being the most subjective one refers to the individuals perception of their own sex.

Phenoytpic Sex can be changed and this is what is changed when people transition.

Medically speaking, the best way to treat people with gender dysphoria is to switch their phenotypic sex to match their gender. This has by far the best results. Which is why the medical consensus overwhelmingly sees the transgender communities woes as completely valid. While the ones using bad science are the ones who tend to deny, or oversimplify sex to a middle school level of understanding.

41% That's not a treatment.

The best treatment is to get them to accept themselves.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Normally she's adored by the far left from the shit she spouts on twitter. Now she stated a fact and they're turning on her. It's not really news though, this happens all the time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@npiet1: Are you a doctor?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

People don't like science when it hurts their feelings.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
@Maroxad said:

This is hilarious.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16

@Nuck81: Basically people who identify as feminist, but hate trans people.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 npiet1

@leicam6 said:

No are you? and the medical community is completely divided on it too. Some doctors are afraid to get sacked if they don't say they agree with it, it's already happened in the UK.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Are we supposed to know what a terf is?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Where did she say anything about hate for trans? Try reading your own post....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@n64dd said:
@ad1x2 said:
@Nuck81 said:

What's a terf?

He's just as confused as I am to be honest.

Yeah, I don't get it, don't really care.

Harry Potter is awesome, JK Rowling is allowed not to be.

Miles Davis is my favorite musical artist of all time, but he was a shit person that used people.

It is possible to separate the art from the artist.

But in reality this just lacks a lot of context.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Chutebox said:

People don't like science when it hurts their feelings.

Yup, like conservative feelings being hurt over the facts of climate change, scientific HDI studies, vaccines, science of gerrymandering , etc. Only those things are 1000000x more disastrous than this.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chutebox

@zaryia: Ok.

Does mentioning republicans give you a woody?

Nevermind, don't want to know!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Chutebox said:

So you're not going to deny that science seems to hurt their feelings on much more serious topics.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

But she is right? /shrug

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox

@zaryia said:
@Chutebox said:

So you're not going to deny that science seems to hurt their feelings on much more serious topics.

If I wanted to, I would.

Interesting you didn't deny what I said...gross.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@npiet1: I’m not a doctor either, but I also don’t make claims like ”The best treatment is to get them to accept themselves” which is probably the stupidest “advice” I’ve ever heard. It’s like saying a depressed person needs to just “cheer up” and they’ll be okay. It’s the kind of pseudo-intellectual fortune cookie jibberish that would have you laughed and kicked out of any university or workplace setting.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Basically a woman was fired for saying a transgendered person is not a real "insert M or F here" and the H.P. woman is supporting her.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Sure, people should absolutely be allowed to discuss these questions in the abstract and shouldn't lose their jobs over doing so. I'm not sure what's so controversial in that.

Like @Master_Live: said, using your best judgement and treating people with respect in person is what counts.

Scrolling through the responses to J.K Rowling's tweet, a hell of a lot of them don't pass the criteria they're setting for others. Wouldn't want to see anyone lose their job over it though.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

If you play Japanese games, sometimes you can built a harem and many appreciates you can marry all your waifus or husbando. Good job Japan, dont ever change.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 npiet1

@leicam6: I never said they have to do it alone or without professional help. Stop assuming things and at least people with depression admit they have a mental illness. Instead of its normal to change genders.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Well they're both right and you're showing you're a little bit of a nut job (no surprise there), anything else I'm missing?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Anything is controversial this days on the Twitter sphere. The fact that someone lost their job over that goes to show how fragile of an employer that they are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@npiet1: I’m still laughing at you, a transphobe, who is also not a doctor, thinking they know what they’re talking about. Prime example of Dunning-Kruger.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Being transgender sounds awful. I count my blessings for me and my family whenever I hear about this shit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I thought this was common knowledge--that you can't change your sex, but you can change your gender--why is this such a contentious point? Why is saying that so divisive?

I mean you might as well put people that believe they can change their sex up there with "flat earthers" in the "I believe ludicrous things" demographic.

I agree with the LGBTQ group; trans-men are men. But you know what they are not? Male.

BTW I totally support trans rights, but not at the expense of forsaking scientific truths and losing our minds in the process.

Sick and tired of people losing their jobs for no reason, for people saying mildly-offensive, slightly-questionable things and paying for it the rest of their lives.

The biggest problem with all the agenda-havers is they lack generational vision; they want change now, but any meaningful change will sadly not take place in their life. Sorry.

*and one last point: it is very important to make the distinction of sex and gender. What if a doctor prescribes you medicine that would harm a male, but is beneficial for a female? What about athletic competitions, where the physical differences between males and females matter?

Claiming you're a trans-man doesn't suddenly swap out your XX chromosomes for XY ones.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By npiet1

@leicam6 said:

@npiet1: I’m still laughing at you, a transphobe, who is also not a doctor, thinking they know what they’re talking about. Prime example of Dunning-Kruger.

Okay let me ask you a question. What's the purpose of it in nature everything has had/or has one? What advantage does it bring to the species? Even homosexuality has answers to that. Show me proof that it's natural. It doesn't exist in any other species except for ones that can change biologically. There's zero papers with proof except for ones that were already on hormones which is already heavily criticized by the medical community because of that fact. There's zero proof it's natural.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendoboy16

For those wondering what TERF means?

(trans-exclusionary radical feminist)

Fitting to know the only feminists anti-SJW's can 'respect'.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Hate is a bit too strong of a word here, don't you think? From what I've seen, they just don't think that trans women are physically equal to born women and therefor should not be allowed to compete with women in sports, as it gives the trannies an unfair advantage (after all, they do have the bodies and strength of men).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

This seems like a term exclusively made up to change it from attacking the argument to attacking the person making the argument.

Which makes sense, given how she's factually correct here, debating with her in any shape or form would be detrimental, bypass it completely.

-

If people want to declare themselves whatever, who cares. As long as they are not actively hurting people, do as you please.

However that shouldn't mean you get to act like the Spanish Inquisition on people seen as dissenters, aside from making the (said) people detestable, it actively riles people up to lean more towards the right, as the public in any shape or form do not like being dictated to by some self-anointed puritans.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Maroxad

@npiet1 said:
@leicam6 said:

No are you? and the medical community is completely divided on it too. Some doctors are afraid to get sacked if they don't say they agree with it, it's already happened in the UK.

As someone who is friends with SEVERAL physicians. There is no major division, there are a few who don't accept it but by and large. The medical and scientific community overwhelmingly accepts the transgender concerns. And the current treatment methods. Just look at what gets published in the papers. THESE HRT and similar methods is what gets published.

Here just to make it easy for you. The link below is for a Meta-Analysis, which shows that out of 56 studies. Transitioning lead to positive result in 52, neutral results in 4, and negative results in 0.

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornell.edu/topics/lgbt-equality/what-does-the-scholarly-research-say-about-the-well-being-of-transgender-people/

So given that you are plainly wrong on your first sentence lets see your second bolded sentence.

Hmm... this sounds really familiar, where have I heard this before?

Ohhh...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad

@npiet1 said:
@Maroxad said:

41% That's not a treatment.

The best treatment is to get them to accept themselves.

There are cases where that can work for some.

But for a large ammount of people, changing the phenotypic sex is more important. Since most people tend to discuss the groups that change their phenotypic sex. Most discussions are towards these.

Transgender isnt merely one condition, but rather an umbrella term. That is why for some transgender people support groups, and wearing outfits that match the opposite sex is enough while for others, they need HRT, and are fine, and for others they also need to change their genitalia.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nintendoboy16

@uninspiredcup said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

This seems like a term exclusively made up to change it from attacking the argument to attacking the person making the argument.

Which makes sense, given how she's factually correct here, debating with her in any shape or form would be detrimental, bypass it completely.

-

If people want to declare themselves whatever, who cares. As long as they are not actively hurting people, do as you please.

However that shouldn't mean you get to act like the Spanish Inquisition on people seen as dissenters, aside from making the (said) people detestable, it actively riles people up to lean more towards the right, as the public in any shape or form do not like being dictated to by some self-anointed puritans.

So we should just embrace the douchebags on our side then? I mean it is how it goes in this anti-PC heaven we should aim for, right?

This is WHY the left "eat each other alive" because for the most part, THEY EXPECT BETTER! It's why I, as a registered Democratic voter, want fascist enablers like I do a certain Hawaiian Congresswoman who just tried to kill IMPOTUS' impeachment with a censure and voted "present" like the coward she is, away from being associated with the Dems and the left, because she is neither.

I won't deny it gets too ridiculous over minor things (hell, I agree with Republicans about raising the minimum smoking age, just wish they were as serious on guns and other things that could use a similar restriction), but when they are complete scum, you can bet we want nothing to do with them.