Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Stuff.co.nz

People in central Christchurch have been told to stay indoors after gunmen reportedly opened fire at two mosques and the main hospital in Christchurch.

Sources say nine people have been confirmed dead.

Stuff understands the emergency department at Christchurch Hospital has been cleared out. Hospital staff are expecting about 40 to 50 injured people, and private hospital Southern Cross has also been cleared to treat the injured.

A person inside Christchurch Hospital said shots had been fired there on Friday afternoon. Shooting has also been reported at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Ave and the Linwood Masjid on Linwood Ave.

Police have urged anyone in central Christchurch to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111.

St John said in a statement that it notified of a firearms incident in central Christchurch at 1.53pm Friday afternoon.

"We have approximately 20 emergency ambulances and operational vehicles at scene providing support and will continue to update you as information comes to hand."

A man, who would not give his name, said he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting.

He managed to escape, but saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside.

"My wife is dead," he said, wailing. His head was supported by other Muslim men who prayed for him.

Another man said he saw children being shot.

Dozens of people were shot by a man wearing military uniform, who emptied at least two magazines.

"There were bodies all over me."

A resident on Freyberg St said she heard "hundreds" of shots and it was "terrifying".

Muslim Association of Marlborough chairman Zayd Blissett said he found out about the shooting from a text sent by the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand (FIANZ) at 2.04pm, saying "50 shot" during Friday prayers in Christchurch.

"I'm just heartbroken. In fact I'm sitting here crying," he said.

"This is New Zealand. This can't happen here."

A man in the Deans Ave mosque at the time, who would not give his name, said there were "bodies all over me". He said the gunman came in with an automatic gun and emptied at least two magazines.

Ahmad Al-Mahmoud, 37, described the shooter as white-skinned, blond, quite short and wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest. He and others broke a window in a door to escape from the mosque. Prayers started at 1.30pm and the gunman came in about 10 minutes later, when everyone was on their knees praying, he said.

The gunman let off dozens, if not hundreds of rounds, he said.

Police have cleared Cathedral Square, where thousands of children were rallying for action on climate change. Fifty to 60 children have been kept inside the Christchurch City Council building on Hereford St. They had been visiting the council as part of Friday's action against climate change. The council building has been placed in lockdown.

Deans Ave has been closed, while Linwood Ave has been closed between Aldwins Rd and Worcester St, and Brougham St (State Highway 76) has been closed between Antigua and Durham streets.

About 20 armed police have worked to clear buildings in Linwood, including Eastgate Mall, which will be closed for the rest of the day.

Four or five men with their hands on their heads were led by police from the Linwood mosque.

Mitch Redman said the men came out of the building on Aldwins Rd about 2.20pm.

Police carried out two or three children from the building and put them in a car, he said.

There was a heavy police presence in the area, he said.

A worker at the Z Linwood service station said he heard gunshots come from the direction of Eastgate Mall about 2pm.

Sheik Ali said his brother was inside and saw a gunman "open fire".

There were people on the ground, but no confirmed fatalities, Ali said.

"As a community we've never had an issue like this in New Zealand."

Linwood Dental Centre practice manager Janine Richmond said she heard about 20 gunshots come from the Linwood Mosque about 1.45pm.

She said armed offenders squad (AOS) members with dogs came in and searched the clinic, which is about 50 metres from the mosque, shortly after.

"They [AOS] have told us to stay here because it's not safe.

"We can't leave and we've been told to stay in a room and stay away from the windows."

Richmond said it appeared police had not found anyone responsible for the shooting.

MAN STARTED 'JUST KILLING PEOPLE'

The former president of the Muslim Association of Canterbury Mohammed Jama said a man with a gun went into the Deans Ave mosque about 1.40pm on Friday.

About 300 people were inside the mosque "and he started shooting all the people".

He saw about four people injured and two people lying on the ground. He did not know if they were alive or dead.

One man who was there at the time said a man came in with an automatic rifle and was "just killing people". He ran.

Another witness said the man was wearing a helmet.

"He had a big gun and a lot of bullets and he came through and started shooting like everyone in the mosque, like everywhere, and they have to smash the door and the glass from the window and from the small door to try and get out."

The witness said the man fired more than 50 times.

Ahmed Tani, of the Canterbury Refugee Resettlement and Resource Centre, said he was walking to the mosque and was about 400 metres away when he heard many gunshots.

"I was really frightened," he said.

"I come from Somalia and the last time I heard the sound of gunfire was eight years ago.

"Then people were running towards me and shouting go, go, go."

Muhammad Nazir had attended an election meeting at the mosque and was praying when he heard shots fired.

He heard two different types of shots fired as people yelled out "help, help", he said.

He believed the shooter was outside the mosque firing into the building, he said.

He left the mosque but saw people inside being shot, he said.

Three or four people were lying on the ground outside the mosque, some of them women.

One man looked severely injured, he said.

The Bangladesh cricket team were in the mosque where shots were fired on Friday.

Cricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent Mohammad Isam posted a video to Twitter of the team rushing through Hagley Park away from the mosque.

Bangladesh are due to play New Zealand at Hagley Oval on Saturday. New Zealand Cricket has been contacted about if the game will still go ahead.

SCHOOLS, PUBLIC BUILDINGS IN LOCKDOWN

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said all Christchurch schools have been placed into lockdown. Tertiary institutes have also been locked down.

Parents of Christchurch Girls' students were sent text messages about 2.05pm, which said: "This is not an exercise."

The Canterbury District Health Board said the public should not attend Christchurch Hospital unless it is an emergency.

A spokeswoman said the board has activated its mass casualty plan and all appointments have been cancelled on Friday afternoon.

No staff or patients are to enter or leave the building.

The spokeswoman did not know how many patients were expected, adding it was an "evolving situation".

Christchurch Hospital, the nearby outpatients building, and Hillmorton and Princess Margaret hospitals are in lockdown.

The city's justice and emergency services precinct was placed in lockdown about 2.20pm with a warning on the public address system that staff and visitors should stay away from external windows and close blinds if possible. Armed police were reported outside the entrances.

"There are reports of active shooters in the Christchurch area," the announcement said.

District Court judges were away at a seminar on Friday and arrests were being handled by Justices of the Peace. That afternoon session was delayed, but the JPs remained at the court where the staff closed blinds, to try to get the arrests processed.

All of the city's Work and Income offices are also in lockdown.

A Christchurch Airport spokeswoman said the airport was operating as per normal but was liaising with police should that need to change. Civil Aviation Authority spokesman Mike Richards said there had been no requests made for changes to the airspace over Christchurch at this stage.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been in New Plymouth making announcements, but has cancelled her diary for the rest of the day as she seeks more details on the incident.

Damn... it's getting scarier and scarier by the day.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Damn every religion making everyone twisted.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

R.I.P. to all the victims.

It appears the massacre was an act of Neo-Nazi terrorism, from perpetrators who were members of the alt-right community and were radicalised over the internet. They were members of 8chan, where they posted a manifesto outlining the attack. During the shooting, they were playing the meme music "Remove Kebab", an online alt-right meme supporting and mocking the genocide of Bosnian Muslims in the '90s. They also appear to be fans of Fortnite and Pewdiepie, with one of them shouting "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" during the attack (possibly a reference to the Pewdiepie vs. T-Series YouTube battle).

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Jag85: The right will just call it a false flag attack, probably directed by Hillary Clinton and George Soros, I'm sure.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jag85

@br0kenrabbit: After a string of massacres perpetrated by white-supremacist terrorists and mass-shooters radicalised online by the alt-right, I wouldn't be surprised if those are the kinds of reactions from the alt-right.

And it turns out that the mass-murderers are Trump supporters... How shocking.

EDIT:

The total death toll is now reported as over 40 killed, with more than 60 injured. It is the deadliest mass-shooting and terrorist attack in New Zealand's history.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Rest in peace to all the victims...hope its not the same old news.."these perpetrators are known to the police"..

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Very tragic news to read this morning. All over the world people are butchered for their beliefs, why is there still so much hatred ffs.

RIP to all the victims, can't even imagine what their families are going through now. ?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

What a world we live in... unbelievable. My thoughts are with all my Kiwi brothers and sisters across the ditch.

Sadly, it looks like one of the perpetrators is Australian :(

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's tough to find the actual manifesto. Apparently it's full of anti-Muslim immigration stuff. You know: the idea of losing your country because people come in in great numbers. "An attack in the name of diversity." Interesting way to phrase it. Either way that's a sad thing. My condolences to anyone involved.

It may be true that your culture gets changed, and that the group who holds the most voting power changes dramatically over time. That naturally raises concerns. It's not great to see those concerns translate into murder like this. These are problems that need to be discussed, they're not solved or soothed by shooting people.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superbuuman

@hrt_rulz01 said:

What a world we live in... unbelievable. My thoughts are with all my Kiwi brothers and sisters across the ditch.

Sadly, it looks like one of the perpetrators is Australian :(

One of them livestream the act...the scum... -_- wonder why has not been taken down..on the most popular site too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@superbuuman: I think they have taken it down now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Just saw the video of the actual shooting. This is just horrible. :'(

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

Holy ****, check out Fraser Anning's Twitter feed. How did a scumbag like that manage to become an Australian senator?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superbuuman

@hrt_rulz01: Ah okay cheers!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#16 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Just gonna pop into my baby forum for a word, because this is personal.

I lived in Christchurch for 4 years. I know the place better than the back of my hand. I had fish'n'chips and soft serves at New Brighton pier, then played Cricket at Hagley Park, watched the Crusaders and Canterbury rugby union teams at the old Jade Stadium or whatever it became before it got damaged and demolished in the earthquake, watched movies at the cinema a quick walk from the said stadium, shopped at Cathedral Square and took buses to Lyttelton Harbour to hike up the side of the volcano to the top of the Gondola. I think I still have the bus card. I doubt it works any more. It's like my second home town.

This, once again, proves what I've been saying for many, many years. It's not about any specific religion or ideology or ethnicity: it's humanity, the wretched species of talking apes that you are, and belief in general. When a human believes in something - anything - deeply enough, they become capable of anything; without regret, remorse or reflection. It is one of humanity's deepest flaws, and history has proved time and time again that none of you talking apes are as different from each other as you think you are. Look closely, and I guarantee you'll find many similarities in how these lot became radicalised and how ISIS recruited for their little merry band of head-chopping psychopaths. Be ever wary of the true believer, the ideologue, the faithful.

I guess I should have known that there is no place on Earth safe from the raving ideologue lunatics. I had simply hoped my "second home town" and New Zealand in general would be such a place, but always doubted it in the back of my mind. Still going back there in a heartbeat if asked. Still plan to spend my last days there. Luckily for me, you cannot lose faith in humanity when you don't have any to begin with. Once again, the raving lunatic ideologues and the internet edgelords that egged them on have proved me right. It is the modicum of personal satisfaction I take from this personally wretched day. You apes have once again proven me right.

And that is that. You may carry on with your regularly scheduled shit-flinging.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten

@mandzilla said:

Holy ****, check out Fraser Anning's Twitter feed. How did a scumbag like that manage to become an Australian senator?

A little distasteful and insensitive isn't it, of him to say these things right now. He seems to be concerned that the left in Australia is being manipulative, trying to twist stories. Well that's likely a fact. (And it happens all over the political spectrum, sadly.) But he seems rather extreme about it... calling to end all third-world immigration... That sounds a little too 1984 to my taste. Hmm. And he seems to use these situations to rile people up. Like he's hoping to wake people up to his point of view, by shocking them. Even uses the murder as proof that immigration and violence are 'linked'. I guess they are linked. But I don't think necessarily the way that he sees it.

That's something I see a lot these days. A kind of zealotry. Anything supports the narrative. Riling up the tribe. Black&white 'thinking'. Turning one problem into something so big everything else will be interpreted by it and revolves around it. I don't like seeing that. It stops people from actually thinking. That kind of mentality is likely what led to this shooting in the first place.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mandzilla  Moderator
@KungfuKitten said:
@mandzilla said:

A little distasteful and insensitive isn't it, of him to say these things right now. He seems to be concerned that the left in Australia is being manipulative, trying to twist stories. Well that's likely a fact. (And it happens all over the political spectrum, sadly.) But he seems rather extreme about it... calling to end all third-world immigration... That sounds a little too 1984 to my taste. Hmm. And he seems to use these situations to rile people up. Like he's hoping to wake people up to his point of view. What I see there is something I see a lot these days. A kind of zealotry. Anything supports the narrative. Riling up the tribe. Black-white 'thinking'. I don't like seeing that. It stops people from actually thinking. That kind of mentality is likely what led to this shooting in the first place.

I can see your point about each side of the political spectrum being manipulative, and wanting to rile people up. But to relish in a massacre like he's done is far beyond distasteful and insensitive. He's just outed himself as being a terrorist sympathiser, plain and simple.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten

@mandzilla: Yeah. I don't necessarily disagree with you. You know, it would have looked a lot better for him to condemn the shooting first. Because he keeps repeating that it's a problem that others don't show their dislike for certain wrong things when it doesn't suit them... Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but to me it looks like he makes the same mistake. Leading by example and all that.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mandzilla  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the more you dig into this guy you begin to realise that he really doesn't care about denouncing violence but rather denouncing and demonising muslims. No different to any other hate preacher, regardless of faith or politics.

Anyway, sorry I really didn't mean to derail this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Trump's reaction so far has been to tweet a link to Breitbart...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

Death toll has now reached 49 killed. That's almost as much as the deadliest mass-shooting ever in the US.

It's about time that people wake up to the threat of alt-right extremism, instead of repeatedly downplaying it as just trolls being trolls.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
@Jag85 said:

Death toll has now reached 49 killed. That's almost as much as the deadliest mass-shooting ever in the US.

It's about time that people wake up to the threat of alt-right extremism, instead of repeatedly downplaying it as just trolls being trolls.

And that's just the number of people killed. We tend to not hear about the injuries, which can be dramatic. Especially when explosives are involved. And the psychological scarring. And then there's the relatives, friends, colleagues. It's a lot of pain, anger. Inability to cope or comprehend why. Tough to think about the pain of it all.

Extremism is a volatile thing. I mean I'm not going to condemn all forms of extremism outright but... it's like playing with mental fire.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@mandzilla: he won't be for much longer. Everyone has seperate themselves from him and denounced any future relationships

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mandzilla  Moderator

@npiet1: Good.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@mandzilla: yeah I read his thing and wanted to puke.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mandzilla  Moderator

@npiet1: I wanted to do worse than that, but today is about mourning the victims. I'm hoping the injured are able to pull through.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Evil people man.

JoPython52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoPython52
Member since 2013 • 119 Posts

I agree with his opinion, except for the liberal part. I’m a liberal, i also think Islam and the west are incompatible in every way.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mandzilla  Moderator

I disagree with him entirely, but then we all have our opinions.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58852 Posts

Terrible shit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/15/18266859/new-zealand-shooting-video-social-media-manipulation

It's sometimes amazing how dumb the media can be. These are people who went to university for years and basic, basic obviose shit passes them by.

a reference to popular YouTuber Felix Kjellberg, who has a history of promoting anti-Semitism. Kjellberg’s channel has the most subscribers on YouTube, at 89 million, and he has been attempting to recruit more so that he won’t be overtaken by another YouTube channel, T-Series.

If this is someone from a 4chan like culture, why would he say this? If he's wanting media attention why would he say this?

Because A) Trolling/Mocking and B) Dumb media will try to link PewPewDie giving whatever corrupt cause they have, more attention.

Remember Anders Behring Breivik used World Of Warcraft for "training"? Exact same shit, hoping for dummies. And boy of boy does The Verge tick those boxes.

Congratulations, you're a PR machine for mass-shooters.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50546 Posts

@madrocketeer: such a good (and terribly sad) post.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#37 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@Mikey132 said:

@KungfuKitten:

LOL, left...right...left..right. Sooo many people are caught up in left/right nonsense they miss the fact that this is called a CULTURE CLASH. Islam and The West do not mix, they are oil and water. This doesn't end through discussion, it ends when one culture becomes dominant over the other. EXPECT this to happen more and more in western countries.

Frankly, if you want a left right argument, why do liberals support Islam, which is right-wing authoritarian?

So, supporting a right to worship what you want is bad? As much as I think Scientology is horrible, I'm not going to stop anyone worshipping that (or stop Leah Remini from trying).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Remember Anders Behring Breivik used World Of Warcraft for "training"? Exact same shit, hoping for dummies. And boy of boy does The Verge tick those boxes.

With the manifest and reason for attack, this guy seems inspired by ABB.

Is the death toll still 49 with 60+ injured?

Edit: And guys. Lets be civil and respectful in here.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mandzilla  Moderator

@horgen: Yes, though they're speculating that it's likely to exceed 49 due to multiple serious injuries.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

With the manifest and reason for attack, this guy seems inspired by ABB.

Yes, that's the point. Both are fully aware of the medias quick reactions to scapegoating. With Anders Behring Breivik, video games = violence and what's one of the most popular video game at the time?

What do these fucksticks do? Try to link it to the most popular youtuber in the world.

The Verge, like the complete fucking donkeys they are, with a constant boner to get PewpewDie jump at it, perpetuating their intent.

-

I notice as well, Polygon (who have ignored all mass shootings in the past), have linked to it, specifically that article, because it fits their narrative. In turn, fitting the shooters narrative.

God, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Yes, that's the point. Both are fully aware of the medias quick reactions to scapegoating. With Anders Behring Breivik, video games = violence and what's one the most popular video game at the time?

What do these fucksticks do? Try to link it to the most popular youtubers in the world.

The Verge, like the complete fucking donkeys they are, with a constant boner to get PewpewDie jump at it, perpetuating their intent.

-

I notice as well, Polygon (who have ignored all mass shootings in the past), have linked to it, specifically that article, because it fits their narrative. In turn, fitting the shooters narrative.

God, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Perhaps some media outlets needs to be reminded of their civic duty?

We shouldn't let this slide. The Verge only wants to make money out of it. Pointing out how they support the shooter by acting like this might get The Verge to change. I doubt it will unless enough people actually join in on it.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Condolences to the victims.

Loading Video...

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mandzilla  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: It would be nice if both the left and right leaning media outlets were able to avoid so much scapegoating after terror attacks. Like you say, it only ends up amplifying the extremist's message.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 True_Link
Member since 2019 • 243 Posts

I saw the video, it looked like A fps game... What the world is coming to?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

News to wake up to. Happy Friday!

RIP to all the victims, the fiercest of condemnations to the perpetrators. I just don't know why people do this. Immigration is just an excuse to exercise their hate. To record and stream such a thing onto Facebook? I also read they were playing a song mocking Islam and screaming to subscribe to Pewdiepie while shooting. I mean, Christ. At least they've been caught alive, though I'm not familiar with the NZ's justice system. Hopefully it's not like Norway's and they'll not be sitting in their cells serving the maximum 20 year sentence moaning they've not gotten the newest PS4 and XOne releases and no internet access.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Well here we would have a difference of opinion, where I see Islam as political ideology before a religion. The new "Islamic Party of Ontario" in Canada also proves it to me. They believe Ontario...and Canada, are Islamic....and that couldn't be further from the truth. Politics...not religion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: The Verge article seems to be more-or-less pointing out most of the things that you just pointed out. The writer seems very much self-aware that the article itself is contributing to the issue, ironically, but there's really no other way to address the issue without writing an article about it. The point of the article is that the mass media is essentially playing into the hands of the terrorists.

I might also add that it's strikingly similar to how the media played into the hands of ISIS a few years ago. Some of the tactics that ISIS previously used to spread its propaganda are now being mimicked by this new breed of alt-right extremists, right down to the barbaric horrific videos, which ISIS presented in a movie-like fashion and now the alt-right is presenting in an FPS-game-like fashion.

As for Pewdiepie, I don't think it's wrong for the article to point out his previous anti-Semitism controversy. That "death to all Jews" shit may have sounded like some funny joke to him, but that's just fucked-up to most ordinary folks. And that's why he has many alt-right fans in the first place. But he didn't care about the consequences, because the controversy helped get him more views and subs to stay on top (although he won't be on top for long, with T-Series on his tail).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

RIP to all the victims and no words on how sick this is.

And what a shame he was caught alive but hopefully, New Zealand can find a way to keep him locked up forever because if he ever walks the streets again it will be a mockery of the victims.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mandzilla  Moderator

@Jacanuk: I don't think he'll ever be released, at least I would hope not. Like you say, that would be a mockery.