Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

TL;DR version coming below the excerpt.

AL-HOL CAMP, Syria (Reuters) - Foreign women with Islamic State have tried to assault others they deem “infidels” at a camp where they are being held in northeast Syria, trying to impose their views even as the jihadists are facing territorial defeat, Reuters journalists visiting the site have found.

“They yell at us that we are infidels for showing our faces,” said a Syrian woman at al-Hol camp, where women and children were transferred from Islamic State’s final bastion in eastern Syria. “They tried to hit us.”

The Baghouz enclave is Islamic State’s last shred of populated territory after years of attacks have rolled back its ultra-radical “caliphate” in Syria and Iraq.

But its impending defeat is confronting the U.S.-allies Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) with the problem of what to do with growing numbers of people, many of them Islamic State followers, emerging from the enclave.

Most have been sent to al-Hol camp, already overcrowded with uprooted Syrians and Iraqis. Camp officials say they do not have enough tents, food, or medicine. Aid workers warn of spreading diseases, and dozens of children have died on the way there.

At least 62,000 people have now flooded the camp, the United Nations said on Friday, way above its capacity. More than 90 percent of the new arrivals are women and children.

The Syrian Kurdish authorities who control the camp have cordoned off the foreign women. On Friday, dressed head-to-toe in black and wearing full face veils, they gathered behind a fence with a locked gate.

“The foreigners throw stones. They swear at the Syrians or Iraqis and at the camp officials. Even the kids make threats,” said a security official at the camp.

‘WE NEED HELP’

Guards have fired in the air to break up a few fights and on one occasion used a taser to pacify a foreign female jihadist detainee, another Syrian woman at the camp said.

Some of the women coming out of Baghouz in recent weeks have displayed strongly pro-Islamic State sympathies.

Hundreds of jihadists have also surrendered. But the Kurdish-led SDF believes the most hardened are still inside, ready for a fight to the death.

Before the final assault on Baghouz, the SDF said it was holding some 800 foreign Islamic State militants and 2,000 of their wives and children. While it has not given updated figures, the numbers have ballooned, prompting fresh calls for support.

TL;DR version: While Islamic State is nearing defeat, ISIS and their followers continue to express their support for the Caliphate through assaults on "infidels".

This topic is somewhat related to the Briton Begum topic we had some weeks ago. She showed no regret regarding choices about leaving UK for ISIS. She isn't alone about that. Wonder how many years it will take before ISIS radicals will stop attacking people. Your thoughts?

Source, which also has the full article. I didn't copy all of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

You'd think they'd be a little ashamed and embarrassed given how things turned out. But I guess not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

ISIS seems to ultimately consist of nothing but bullies. This is pretty terrible; a refugee camp? Really? I mean of all the terrible, pathetic places in the world where people should be left alone, I would think a refugee camp would be at the top. Those people have lost everything but their lives and the clothes on their backs.

**** ISIS.

@volsung said:

You'd think they'd be a little ashamed and embarrassed given how things turned out. But I guess not.

Right? Wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm just wondering what the overall strategy is here; they don't seem to be interested in recruiting these vulnerable people, but alienating them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, so extremists are being extreme when they reach the "refugee camps"

Not sure why this is a problem? if they stand out they are easy to notice and can either be thrown out or arrested and put on a "trial" in the local area.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, so extremists are being extreme when they reach the "refugee camps"

Not sure why this is a problem? if they stand out they are easy to notice and can either be thrown out or arrested and put on a "trial" in the local area.

Syria has working court system?

@mrbojangles25 said:

ISIS seems to ultimately consist of nothing but bullies. This is pretty terrible; a refugee camp? Really? I mean of all the terrible, pathetic places in the world where people should be left alone, I would think a refugee camp would be at the top. Those people have lost everything but their lives and the clothes on their backs.

**** ISIS.

@volsung said:

Right? Wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm just wondering what the overall strategy is here; they don't seem to be interested in recruiting these vulnerable people, but alienating them.

Well it is clear they can't handle to see each other faces.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

All the adults, men and women, should be tried for crimes against humanity. Children should separated, receive intensive counselling and be placed with responsible adults that aren't part of a medieval death cult.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I am pretty sure there is a law somewhere in the religion where you cannot hit Women, Children and non combatants.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

It’s a shame they didn’t just die in fighting. You can’t rehabilitate an ideology. These are lost souls who are hell bent on the destruction of anyone/thing that isn’t them. In other words - human garbage.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I'm pretty sure we are signing weapons deals with the country that funds ISIS. I doubt they have much territory, so someone is funding them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@vl4d_l3nin said:

I'm pretty sure we are signing weapons deals with the country that funds ISIS. I doubt they have much territory, so someone is funding them.

Qatar was somewhat blamed for funding them through donations a couple of years ago. Plus they had control over some oil.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

You don't kill ideas easily. Violence or oppression only fan the flames when it comes to the idea behind movements/sects/terrorists/whatever. We need to keep them in control, obviously, but just as importantly their ideas need to be taken seriously (by someone) so that they can be questioned. That's the only 'easy' way you can kill an idea. Even if you don't convince the current believers themselves. That's secondary.