Is Covid 19 a non-issue now?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I generally don't post in this section but thought I'd get the general feeling of Americans here on this forum.

With all the protesting and rioting that has been occurring over the past week... is Covid19 no longer an issue?

For months people have been locked down in fear of spreading the virus to loved ones or getting it themselves. The economy shut down for months. Businesses shuttered. Livelihoods destroyed.

When people wanting to reopen to save their business, to save their livelihoods protested, they were mocked and hated by the media. Nurses were seen blocking cars in protest of the protestors.

Now we have civil unrest due to police brutality and the horrible killing of a man in police custody. People are rightly angry and are out protesting. Then there are those not in the right doing vandalism, riots, looting and even killing.

Tens of thousands of Americans taking to the streets... and essentially ignoring social distancing guidelines. Ignoring that less than a month ago, people protesting were basically spit on.

So I ask... does Covid19 matter anymore? Was the shuttering of the economy and putting 30 million+ Americans on unemployment lines justified?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I don't know man.

Did police brutality become a non-issue after COVID-19?

To answer your question, no. Political issues do not just become "non-issues" after another political issue rises up.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

A month ago going out meant you might kill grandma, and you disrespected the healthcare workers....what? I just wanted some damn fresh air lol. To be fair though...., protesting police brutality is WAY different than protesting getting a haircut. So many tiny discrepancies that annoyed me within greater messages.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@drunk_pi: Then we should expect a second wave of the virus due to the protests and rioting. Many more will die because social distancing wasn't adhered too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

No it's not. It's still there. It's still spreading. Americans are a bit too whiny to do what is necessary though.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Telekill said:

@drunk_pi: Then we should expect a second wave of the virus due to the protests and rioting. Many more will die because social distancing wasn't adhered too.

Don't forget that and depending on the states that we're attempting to reopen our economies, albeit in phases. There's a lot contributing to a possible second wave.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

It is still a big issue, which is why almost everyone outside is wearing masks.

But by 2022, the virus will be a non-issue as vaccines are widespread; but if the problem of police brutality isn't addressed, it will continue to always be an issue.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@lonewolf604 said:

A month ago going out meant you might kill grandma, and you disrespected the healthcare workers....what? I just wanted some damn fresh air lol. To be fair though...., protesting police brutality is WAY different than protesting getting a haircut.So many tiny discrepancies that annoyed me within greater messages.

Yeah, who would have thought that police murdering citizens would ruffle peoples' feathers.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Between reopen protests and police protests, of course it still is. Even with certain states being stupid about testing and reporting we still have 20k reported new cases and 1000 deaths every day in America. Meanwhile several spots in the world are still seeing exponential case growth.

On the other hand can't have a second wave if wave 1 never stops.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

In my humble opinion Covid 19 will always be a issue. It never goes away and it will be that way until a vaccine is found and is proven effective and safe and works.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

@Willy105:

I dont remember any of the experts suggesting cloth masks eliminates the need for social distancing. In fact, i thought it was only proven to be barely useful at all, in that it was just considered better than not wearing one and thus worth doing.

Also despite however more legitimate the issue is now, the virus doesnt care. This was the rhetoric that was shoved down our throats for the past 3 months.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's only going to get worse.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

No and it will get worse because of the protests.

I think we overreacted to both of these things but I'd rather do that than not react enough.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

it's still an issue and i'm sure we'll see an uptick in cases due to people ignoring distancing guidelines.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4209 Posts

@mrbojangles25: oh dear god no. Any chance the US can just luck it out and perhaps Covid-19 goes away?? I was of the opinion that we had this handled in a significant way.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Telekill said:

Second wave? The US isn’t anywhere near over its first wave. New daily infections are still over 20,000 plus each day in the past several weeks.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@mrbojangles25: oh dear god no. Any chance the US can just luck it out and perhaps Covid-19 goes away?? I was of the opinion that we had this handled in a significant way.

The US handled covid-19 terribly with no centralized leadership. It's not going to just disappear on it's own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

No. We just have more than one issue conservatives want to ignore.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

The ignorance about COVID is just getting worse.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@Xabiss said:

My favorite part of this whole thing is going to be when pundits on the right blame the spike on the protests with zero sense of irony at all despite A) their earlier protests to B) open up early.

Protesting for haircuts is a patriotic duty. Protesting to not be murdered by police is a luxury.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xabiss

@mattbbpl said:
@Xabiss said:

My favorite part of this whole thing is going to be when pundits on the right blame the spike on the protests with zero sense of irony at all despite A) their earlier protests to B) open up early.

Protesting for haircuts is a patriotic duty. Protesting to not be murdered by police is a luxury.

Protesting any subject is anyones right in America. It doesn't matter what the subject is about and if you agree with it or not. Also these protest are going to cause a HUGE spike in COVID cases because people all of a sudden just don't care. So we will have to just sit back and see just how bad it gets now. I hope between this and the memorial day crap we get out okay to be honest.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By amillionhp

@mattbbpl:

How about both of them were stupid?

Covid doesnt care about George Floyd and how many black men will die now?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

@amillionhp said:

@mattbbpl:

How about both of them were stupid?

Covid doesnt care about George Floyd and how many black men will die now?

That's at least a valid standpoint as opposed to the other. You should make a thread (I'm serious, BTW - I think it would be an interesting one).

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 amillionhp

@mattbbpl:

Thank you.

Let me tell you, i would have a lot more respect for celebrities and BLM in general if they got on social media saying something like.

"Look everyone, i know we're hurt but lets stay home, be responsible and protect ourselves while raising awareness for this issue as much as possible online."

I mean, that completely avoids the whole rioting/looting issue anyway. But then you have people like Yolanda Williams who straight up told white supporters to attend rallies and protests instead of black people because its too dangerous for them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23892 Posts

Protesting the lack of haircuts was stupid.

So is this. Come protest online instead. Better than going out and spreading the virus.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mattbbpl

@amillionhp said:

@mattbbpl:

Thank you.

Let me tell you, i would have a lot more respect for celebrities and BLM in general if they got on social media saying something like.

"Look everyone, i know we're hurt but lets stay home, be responsible and protect ourselves while raising awareness for this issue as much as possible online."

I mean, that completely avoids the whole rioting/looting issue anyway. But then you have people like Yolanda Williams who straight up told white supporters to attend rallies and protests instead of black people because its too dangerous for them.

We literally watched police murder a man on videotape who was a member of a demographic that has historically been abused and murdered by the police. You can surely see the source of their outrage, right?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amillionhp

@mattbbpl:

Yeah... but that only makes sense if i dont care when black men murder police. Otherwise i just have to look at it as murder period.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@amillionhp said:

@mattbbpl:

Yeah... but that only makes sense if i dont care when black men murder police. Otherwise i just have to look at it as murder period.

How so? Expound on how it means you don't care about black men murdering police, please.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 amillionhp

@mattbbpl:

Because them killing George Floyd isnt indicative of systemic racism. As of right now, there's no reason to say they wouldn't have done this to a white suspect. Therefore, its just like any other murder like for example cops being killed. Actually i suppose i shouldnt bring up that combination specifically but rather just said George Floyd's murder was just like any other murder and left it at that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@amillionhp: If it’s not, why do blacks get a dispositional amount of those killings? That’s what this is about, blacks being victims more than whites and nobody like you caring. Nobody said only blacks get killed.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mattbbpl

@amillionhp said:

@mattbbpl:

Because them killing George Floyd isnt indicative of systemic racism. As of right now, there's no reason to say they wouldn't have done this to a white suspect. Therefore, its just like any other murder like for example cops being killed. Actually i suppose i shouldnt bring up that combination specifically but rather just said George Floyd's murder was just like any other murder and left it at that.

I'm fine with that second comparison (not the "only makes sense if i dont care when black men murder police" one though, which is a ridiculous reach). And if these protests amount to any change it will have the same effect for all races because the safeguards that will flow from them will prevent such actions regardless of race. That's generally the case for most protests seeking justice.

As I stated to another user, if you object to police brutality against other races as well, you should support this protest, not undermine it.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xabiss

I will say this.... If we come out of this okay. It will just prove that shutting down for as long as we did was a mistake. Also lets get everything open and rolling to bring some normalcy back to America. COVID is over!

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 amillionhp

@thegreatchomp:

Its disproportionate by race because the crime rate is disproportionate by race.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@amillionhp: I guess you think Floyd deserved to be killed. And if a black guy gets killed by a cop he must have deserved it.

Can we get some standards in here please?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 amillionhp

@thegreatchomp: no.... pretty sure i clearly said he was murdered.

See... i see what you're doing there. We were talking about statistics of black men being killed by cops, not specifying wrongful/justifiable deaths or convictions. But then you cleaverly segwayed it back onto Floyd, which i DID say was murder, but nice try there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@amillionhp: Hey look, a conservative twisting words and trying change the direction of a comment into something easier for them to digest.

See how you changed the meaning of this whole conversation into something that was never discussed in the first place? If you are going to play that game, do better.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Xabiss said:

I will say this.... If we come out of this okay. It will just prove that shutting down for as long as we did was a mistake. Also lets get everything open and rolling to bring some normalcy back to America. COVID is over!

No

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Watching the news about the protests in my area, COVID19 and its risks has been brought up many times due to the crowds

A lot of them do seem to be wearing masks

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Telekill said:

So I ask... does Covid19 matter anymore?

Yes. It still matters quite a bit. Over 104,000 people dead and rising fast. Second wave possible, if the first wave ever even stops.

Trump really screwed up with his response.

@Telekill said:

Was the shuttering of the economy and putting 30 million+ Americans on unemployment lines justified?

Yes. Multiple studies have shown MANY more would have died without social distancing and SAHO, and the early tampering of those has also resulted in more deaths/cases.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zaryia
@Xabiss said:

I will say this.... If we come out of this okay. It will just prove that shutting down for as long as we did was a mistake.

This is extremely factually untrue. This is a huge lie, and a dangerous one.

@Xabiss said:

Also lets get everything open and rolling to bring some normalcy back to America. COVID is over!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:

I will say this.... If we come out of this okay. It will just prove that shutting down for as long as we did was a mistake.

@Xabiss said:

Also lets get everything open and rolling to bring some normalcy back to America. COVID is over!

Sweden is now saying they should have had stricter restrictions from the beginning.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xabiss

@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:

@Xabiss said:

Nah man lets go. Who care, and it looks like the majority don't anymore. Time to get everything open! Just look at the large crowds and gatherings. Time to get this economy moving!

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By amillionhp

@thegreatchomp:

The hell are you talking about?

If you casually bring up the stats of black men being disproportionately killed by cops, why does the crime rate not matter? Shouldnt it?

Unless you are saying since George Floyd's death wrongful, every other death by cops is as well?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I mean, 1083 people died from it yesterday, and 20.5k plus new cases were recorded yesterday, but America kind of decided it was over because they got bored.

I would argue that the stuff we did do was both justified and not enough.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zaryia

@Xabiss said:
@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:

@Xabiss said:

Nah man lets go. Who care, and it looks like the majority don't anymore. Time to get everything open! Just look at the large crowds and gatherings. Time to get this economy moving!

Only if you can maintain social distancing and wear PPE.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 amillionhp

@zaryia:

There has been no social distancing for the past week, every day and night, yet you'll still blatantly say this. Again... the virus does not care how good your excuse is. It has no political or racial affiliation. Well... actually i see a lot of articles stating black people are disproportionately affected by the virus so... yeah.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Xabiss

@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:
@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:

@Xabiss said:

Only if you can maintain social distancing and wear PPE.

Nah man it is all good. Lets GOOOOOO!!!!! I have not been seeing a lot of that lately so that shipped has sailed. Social distancing is not a thing anymore man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@zaryia: Are you shocked he lied?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Xabiss
@thegreatchomp said:

@zaryia: Are you shocked he lied?

I never stated it as facts, you did. It is my opinion. Jesus you all are not very good at this stuff. Time to get normalcy rolling again!

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

Funny but when the group was protesting to be able to work so they could keep their jobs that was stupid and dangerous.

But when a group riots in the streets for some race baiting bullshit it's ok.

Don't worry they will blame the second wave on Trump also.