deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

WASHINGTON -- North American countries concluded their first round of negotiations toward a new continental trade agreement Sunday with a statement that suggested major issues needed to be sorted out in the talks ahead.

A joint statement from the three countries couldn't even agree what to call this process: A "modernization," which implies simple changes and is the preferred term of Canada and Mexico, or "renegotiation," the word most often used in the U.S.

The statement used both terms. In a joint communique issued as negotiators left Washington on Sunday afternoon, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. declared: "(We) launched the renegotiation and modernization.

The next round will be held in Mexico City from Sept. 1-5. The countries will in the meantime consult domestic stakeholders and prepare to table more texts that will form the backbone of a new agreement.

A third round will be held in Canada in late September.

There's considerable work ahead, the countries acknowledged in their statement: "While a great deal of effort and negotiation will be required in the coming months, Canada, Mexico and the United States are committed to an accelerated and comprehensive negotiation process."

Veterans of trade negotiations say this is the most ambitious schedule they've ever seen.

The countries are aiming to wrap up a trade deal within a few months, before the Mexican election heats up next spring -- because otherwise talks could drag out another year, past the U.S. congressional elections, and into 2019.

"Negotiations will continue at this rapid pace," said the statement.

The initial round was heavy on introductory sessions and schedule-setting. But it also touched substantive issues that revealed possible irritants ahead. Among the two-dozen-plus topics discussed so far were auto-parts rules, cutting edge pharmaceuticals, and labour.

On auto parts, the U.S. surprised its allies on Day 1 by hinting it might favour a Made In America-style content quota. The statement on that from U.S. trade czar Robert Lighthizer was vague and, according to sources, was not followed up by any specific numbers being tabled by the U.S. side in the initial round.

However, the idea was swiftly opposed by Canada, Mexico and the auto industry.

On pharmaceuticals, the U.S. has also proposed a 12-year patent-style protection for cutting-edge biologics medicines, sources say. This is significantly higher than the protections in Canada and Mexico, would drive up prices, and could be an irritant if the U.S. sticks to it.

However, it's no surprise this was the U.S. opening gambit. It was practically required under U.S. law. The domestic fast-track law that gives the White House the power to conduct trade negotiations demands that harmonizing intellectual property rules to American standards be a U.S. negotiating priority.

A report in Inside U.S. Trade said Canada has also presented demands on labour rights that would force the U.S. to sign all the International Labour Organization conventions. That's generally been a non-starter for the U.S.

Otherwise, the first round of talks was free of public drama.

President Donald Trump didn't even tweet about it. While forcing these three countries together for a major trade negotiation was the culmination of a key Trump campaign promise, the president didn't say a word about it, in a week consumed by drama over race relations and a planned announcement on the next U.S. moves in Afghanistan.

The one senior U.S. official to talk about it was Vice-President Mike Pence. As usual, in his comments on trade, as on other issues, Pence sounded more like a traditional Republican than his boss's America First-touting rhetoric.

"We seek a deal in the original spirit of NAFTA," Pence told an event in Panama.

"Canada and Mexico agree that NAFTA has significant room for improvement to ensure a level playing field for all. And as I told Prime Minister Trudeau last month, we will work together for a win-win-win outcome."

Pence also spoke of renegotiating -- and modernizing.

Link: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nafta-first-round-of-talks-over-great-deal-of-negotiation-still-required-1.3553765

Trump's handling over Charlottesville has been dominating the news cycle which has allowed NAFTA re-negotiation talks to slip out of the news cycle, despite this arguably being more important to the average America. Looks the talks haven't started off well but this is only the beginning. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it by the end even if this isn't the first time NAFTA has been modified.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

President Donald Trump didn't even tweet about it. While forcing these three countries together for a major trade negotiation was the culmination of a key Trump campaign promise, the president didn't say a word about it, in a week consumed by drama over race relations and a planned announcement on the next U.S. moves in Afghanistan.

The one senior U.S. official to talk about it was Vice-President Mike Pence. As usual, in his comments on trade, as on other issues, Pence sounded more like a traditional Republican than his boss's America First-touting rhetoric.

"We seek a deal in the original spirit of NAFTA," Pence told an event in Panama.

"Canada and Mexico agree that NAFTA has significant room for improvement to ensure a level playing field for all. And as I told Prime Minister Trudeau last month, we will work together for a win-win-win outcome."

The former portion sounds fine, and as long as the latter stays true this might actually be something that goes through.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

MAGA

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Long as it gets corrected, sounds good to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

Everything the democrats did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

NAFTA was negotiated by a Republican administration (George H.W. Bush).

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

NAFTA was negotiated by a Republican administration (George H.W. Bush).

Yeah and those were the good parts. When Clinton and Obama messed with it, it went to shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

Yeah and those were the good parts. When Clinton and Obama messed with it, it went to shit.

I know you don't actually know what they changed so you can quit the charade lol.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

lol

your commitment to your party makes me giggle.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

lol

Makes me worry about the country with partisan sentiments that are so obviously false...........

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comp_atkins said:
@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

lol

Makes me worry about the country with partisan sentiments that are so obviously false...........

i stopped taking them seriously long ago. one of the reasons he posts like that is it's so effective at getting responses.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD

@comp_atkins said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comp_atkins said:
@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:

What would you correct?

lol

i stopped taking them seriously long ago. one of the reasons he posts like that is it's so effective at getting responses.

Sorry the truth stings. Democrats are taking the country down as much as they can for this liberal arts campus paradise they have envisioned in their heads where everybody is always hugging and white people are thrown into waste paper baskets for white guilt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:
@comp_atkins said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Sorry the truth stings. Democrats are taking the country down as much as they can for this liberal arts campus paradise they have envisioned in their heads where everybody is always hugging and white people are thrown into waste paper baskets for white guilt.

What does any of that have to do with trade deals like NAFTA?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh please. Usually the best reality show in the world is your election. This time it didn't stop with it.

Except this is worrying. Because it is actually happening.

To be on topic again: Great that discussions for a new deal is at it. Atm, are there heavy import fees, or how does it work now compared to before? Or is the old deal still working?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By N64DD

@perfect_blue: I already answered your questions. Go make another thread comparing US soldiers to terrorists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

@perfect_blue: I already answered your questions. Go make another thread comparing US soldiers to terrorists.

I've never compared US soldiers to terrorists. The point I was making in that other thread is that Americans are so willing to use violence against one group of terrorists (jihadis) yet cringe when someone fights back against far-right extremists/terrorists.

You've entirely missed the point of my posts in that thread lol way to go. How can anyone take you seriously when you can barely read?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@n64dd said:

Yup, the deal need to be redone so mexico can´t get away with undercutting american production.

Especially Mexican production needs to be heavily taxed.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

I've never compared US soldiers to terrorists. The point I was making in that other thread is that Americans are so willing to use violence against one group of terrorists (jihadis) yet cringe when someone fights back against far-right extremists/terrorists.

You've entirely missed the point of my posts in that thread lol way to go. How can anyone take you seriously when you can barely read?

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

You got called out and wrecked in that other thread. Take your extremist shit somewhere else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

You got called out and wrecked in that other thread. Take your extremist shit somewhere else.

Called out and wrecked by who? As far as I'm aware you were the one who backed out because he couldn't follow the discussion and had nothing to say. lol

Your trolling used to be better but these days you're not even trying. For shame, smh.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

This could be interesting, I am open to seeing what comes out of this.

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

I feel we as a forum deserve better trolling than this. Step it up man, many people here are counting on you.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@n64dd said:

Im not sure how Obama got involved but Clinton didnt change anything from the original NAFTA proposal. Its why he took shit from us progressives, because it was him cowering to a right wing bill that did nothing but give more money and power to corporations while destroying the middle class even more.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

What would you correct?

Go get 'em Skankhunt42, that internet isn't going to **** itself!

Loading Video...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

Called out and wrecked by who? As far as I'm aware you were the one who backed out because he couldn't follow the discussion and had nothing to say. lol

Your trolling used to be better but these days you're not even trying. For shame, smh.

Seems like you call people trolls when you get backed into a corner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

lol backed into a corner? Man, you are delusional.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

lol backed into a corner? Man, you are delusional.

I'm putty, you're glue. Whatever is made in china might turn you blue.