In favor of breaking up Facebook? Why, and how?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll In favor of breaking up Facebook? Why, and how? (24 votes)

Yes 63%
No 38%

Would you want to break up Facebook? Why? Break them up into what? How would it benefit anyone? Is it legally feasible?

I'm not sure. On one hand nobody likes Facebook but on the other hand many are too stupid to stop using it.

• 
TheNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#1 TheNation
Member since 2021 • 1543 Posts

No. You created this monster, live with it

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 15941 Posts

Oh, and why is this political, you ask? Many people feel that Facebook acted politically to block candidates, many thought Facebook unfairly treated politicians by not imposing restrictions on what politicians could put in advertising, many feel Facebook exploits political opposition to increase engagement from their users.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 174312 Posts

I....don't care.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@LJS9502_basic: Damn, that would have been a good option to include. I wish I could edit it. You've got my vote.

I made this poll to see why people would care because I don't know.

TheNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheNation

@girlusocrazy: You might be able to

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 51739 Posts

Yes.

They've done enough harm to the world and provide very little in the way of good services.

For starters, don't allow people to link news articles.

Make it apolitical

Don't suggest things to people. Let people do their own research.

As for breaking it up, let their various subsidiaries loose and run as independent companies. Why does Facebook need Instagram and Whatsapp? They made plenty of money before, this is just about control.

@thenation said:

No. You created this monster, live with it

How did we create it? I didn't ask for their corrupt algorithms to push people towards extremism. I didn't ask them to play referee to politicians, saying "Oh well we have 1 million people supporting democrat A, so I guess we need to force some people to like Republican B to balance it out".

They overstepped their role. All I wanted Facebook for initially was to stay in touch with people; it never should have morphed into this current monstrosity that acts as a media site, a source of [bad] information for people, and so on.

It's toxic bullshit and it needs to stop.

I haven't used it for about four years at this point, and I think my last post was in 2013 or something. We don't need Facebook people, stop looking at your friends going on vacation while you're at work, it's not healthy.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GirlUSoCrazy

@thenation: the only option is Delete

TheNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheNation

@mrbojangles25: The people use it, the people continue to use it, the people created it. If the people stopped using it, then it would go away.

And you dont get to tell us what to do or what is healthy. If people want to share their vaction photos, then thats their right.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7963 Posts

I deleted my FB account years ago it was one of the best decisions I have ever made it's a place where most people are cosplaying a happy life trying to 1up each other it's just a toxic shit hole. The world was much better without it. That's one of the reasons why I'm so nostalgic for the past I miss the pre- social media era.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25771 Posts

@girlusocrazy: "Many feel" is a pointless phrase that means nothing, btw.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 13074 Posts

I'm not sure how anti-trust laws will solve the problems I see with FB or other social media giants. FB may just be the worst actor at the moment, but in the end they'll all probably put profits ahead of social responsibility. At the moment I would certainly suggest that as many people ditch it as possible. I deleted my profile over a year ago and it's been great. Hell, FB is scared of the younger generations leaving which is exactly what they should be happening. It's become an echo chamber of conspiracies and targeted ads for boomers. It's a cesspool.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 21083 Posts

It won't change anything. People want their echo/confirmation chambers, and they'll get them elsewhere if FB is gone. Hell, there are plenty of other avenues now, and plenty more preceded it.

People have simply self sorted their media into polarized camps because being told that you were right all along hammers away at your brain's pleasure centers. It's why Rush Limbaugh rose to power and Fox News became a cable network force while acting as an arm of the Republican party.

People need to WANT to hear information that challenges them, and they just.... don't.

TheNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheNation

Lots of 90s kids in here. I use facebook and dont get any political adds. The only things i get are from AOC and Bernie because i follow them. Their posts get spammed by Trump supporters, FB is turning into Fox.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blaznwiipspman1  Online
Member since 2007 • 9044 Posts

I remember back in the day when congress wanted to break up Microsoft for being a monopoly and engaging in alot of shady practices. I remember seeing Bill gates being grilled by a congressional hearing much like Zuckerberg is today. They wanted to split up MS and I believe it came close but ultimately they decided against it.

Later on, when Apple was about to go bankrupt, MS got so scared, they pulled 100M out of their ass and saved apple like heroes they are. Of course it was all just a way to keep some competition in the market and keep the JD off their back. If MS didn't save apple back then, people today wouldn't have their iphones, and their MacBook, while sitting at Starbucks sipping on lattes. These hipsters should all get on their knees and thank MS.

Anyway the witch hunt against Facebook is un necessary. If the government wants to keep people safe, they should just fund the creation of their own service and one that will follow more rules. I'm sure many parents would feel safer knowing their kids are on a regulated platform with more protection.

gamefan606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15  Edited By gamefan606
Member since 2005 • 3928 Posts

I wouldn't say "nobody likes Facebook" otherwise why are there still so many active users? :P

When I was younger, social media sites like MySpace and Facebook were appealing to me since they were an easy way to connect with friends in a time where access to a computer was more realistic for me than access to a smartphone. As I got older, I found myself using social media less and less as friend groups moved over to simply using apps (e.g. WhatsApp or Telegram) to communicate. Didn't take long for me to leave social media behind shortly after that. I have no intention of returning since I just don't see the point.

On the other hand, I can understand that social media sites like FB allow users to communicate with groups of people from around the world with similar interests whether it is similar occupations or shared hobbies. I don't believe it would be fair to outright eliminate FB entirely simply because I don't like it or because it doesn't serve any meaningful purpose to me.

With that being said, sites could take the approach Gamespot did and separate political content into a separate area or with a filter. From what I remember, I think users on FB can join political groups for discussions, but FB can take it one step further and limit political discussion within these groups. Alternatively, users could choose to allow or deny political content into their feed.

davillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 davillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 48914 Posts

I deleted my FB account back in 2015 and couldn't be even happier. So I'm out of the loop as to what's happening on FB.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
@Willy105 said:

@girlusocrazy: "Many feel" is a pointless phrase that means nothing, btw.

Agreed

@gamefan606 said:

I wouldn't say "nobody likes Facebook" otherwise why are there still so many active users? :P

Stockholm syndrome

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@gamefan606 said:

Facebook and other such sites have their uses. Some use it for long distance connections, community engagement, sharing of ideas with diverse or likeminded people, or news/information feeds.

I use Facebook primarily for community engagement - organization recruitment, organization, and encouragement. I also use some other sites such as Twitter for news/information feeds (albeit not Facebook as it can't be curated as easily and effectively).

So you're right! Facebook is really useful for a lot of people for reasons other than reading about how Biden is controlled by a ventriloquist because his mind is mush. There's just an ugly underbelly in a portion of it, and, frankly, that's just life.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GirlUSoCrazy

@blaznwiipspman1: Didn't they end up doing something to stop IE from being the default in EU, and in US they prevented MS from using APIs to favor their own software which are both good.

MS later did some f***ery with open document formats as well, trying to get nonsense approved for that or derail it entirely and promoting their own format that relied on exact functionality in specific versions of their Office software.

It's funny to see them today adopt Chromium as Edge and want to make cross platform networking on consoles.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GirlUSoCrazy

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes.

They've done enough harm to the world and provide very little in the way of good services.

Make it apolitical

They're a private company, so they could. But I think choosing topics for people could prevent them from dissent and I believe it's important.

What about forcing people to register only as individuals and only speak for themselves, and not be able to represent another person, speak on behalf of an affiliation, or campaign for an affiliation, especially in exchange for any remuneration or benefit?

That I agree with

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 51739 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes.

Make it apolitical

They're a private company, so they could. But I think choosing topics for people could prevent them from dissent and I believe it's important.

What about forcing people to register only as individuals and only speak for themselves, and not be able to represent another person, speak on behalf of an affiliation, or campaign for an affiliation, especially in exchange for any remuneration or benefit?

That I agree with

Philosophically, Facebook has the goal of being a "town square" of sorts, of allowing for the free exchange of ideas.

That sounds great on paper, but in reality it doesn't work that way. There's nothing free about it; many of the ideas are essentially forced on people. Again, going back to the algorithm, if there's 500,000 people arguing for cause A, Facebook will go out of it's way to encourage people to argue for cause B.

I mean let's be real: there would be essentially no Qanon, Stop the Steal, etc. believers out there if it wasn't for Facebook leading the gullible down that road. These communities are forced, constructed, etc. simply to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Case in point: with these recent revelations, it was found that Facebook intentionally stacked the odds in favor of far right politicians in order to not appear bias. The problem here is that not believing in bat shit insane people is not bias, it's just common sense.

Dissent is important, but it should be of your own decision. It should not come from "Oh well Facebook said this was a good fit for me and this celebrity I like believes it, so now I do too".

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 8259 Posts

Yeah. Mainly for lulz....

Oh yeah and the whole thing about it being a terrible, awful place where misinformation spreads and kids get psychologically damaged.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1964 Posts

From my perspective, when companies become too large and too powerful, they either need to be sufficiently regulated or split up.

They need regulation because they could unfairly prevent competition and end up monopolising the sector they operate in, killing off competitors and raising barriers to prevent new entrants.

They could grow too big and end up on the, “too big to fail,” list. If that happens they take increasingly risky investments and when shit hits the fan, they need tax payers to bail them out.

In facebook’s case, since it’s expanding into so many sectors it would probably be more efficient to split up.

The Facebook part of the company could use some tighter regulation since it does have so much power, political, cultural, the ability to influence thought, behaviour and action.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 18098 Posts

How would that work exactly?

People would just flock to the next echo chamber, and people will just gravitate towards the next similar social media platform. And the cycle repeats. Remember Myspace? Social Media attraction works like gravity, but instead of mass it's people.

Echo chambers form because of human nature. Our brains, register rejection (such as being wrong) in the same way it registers pain.

And the internet, no matter what social service site, has always just allowed Echo Chambers to form. There are enough people on the internet, to allow echo chambers to form, no matter what worldview, whether it is new age, political, techbro, broscience or even just old school RPG fans, who delude themselves into thinking their games have more depth than they really have.

The only solution would be to have human populations be willing to accept being wrong. But that isn't going to happen, because on a neurological level, that is not how we work.

But don't take my word for it. Notice how politics, no matter what side of the aisle you are on, is more about slinging mud at a strawman, rather than actually dismantling your opponent's position. Why does this happen? Because people get a memeified version of their opponent's arguments from their echo chambers and assume that is the real thing. Because they don't actually hang out with people or try to understand their opponent's worldview.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20884 Posts

They should just delete it.

Facebook is a political weapon.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GirlUSoCrazy

@Maroxad: It sounds like they want to split the ad business and telemetry from the blogging. I don't think they want to split up communities in Facebook, just decouple the part that processes personal data, maybe so they don't make recommendations that help drive the business side. It seems like Facebook thinks stoking controversy increases engagement, and when people "go down a rabbit hole" they spend a lot of time which exposes them to more ads.

It seems like some of the "entertainment news" media is doing this as well on TV and in podcasts.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Maybe Trump's new company will create the new Farcebook.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 29362 Posts

I don't use, care or know much about facebook. So I'd be unaffected either way.

Use it if you want, don't if you don't. It doesn't matter for anything. If there was no facebook, people would talk with eachother in the same ways, but through other means.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GirlUSoCrazy

@DEVILinIRON: They're trying to, but apparently they have restrictions on speech so the target audience might not like it

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 37448 Posts

don't really care one way or the other.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 4196 Posts

In support of breaking them up.

No one company, or small handful of companies should have so much control over the public discourse.

rmiller365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#32 rmiller365
Member since 2010 • 1418 Posts

I wouldn't mind a change from the current status quo personally. I don't use a lot of social media but it's obvious to me that social media in and of itself is a toxic deterrent to the progression of mankind in general, in both social and and mental health perspectives.

For every example I see of someone using social media to touch base with family or fandom groups, I see 10 other examples of someone spreading hate, obsessively comparing their current life with an unobtainable influencer's life, or a Boomer whos completely bought into a post and pushed it because they don't know any better. so yeah, it's bad enough already so try something different and maybe that will improve certain aspects of it. If it doesn't work then I don't see it as much of a loss compared to it's current state.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 4196 Posts

@rmiller365: We're finding out a decade later the effects of too much social media on young minds, unfortunately.

The ability to have a civil discussion about many things is almost gone.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10967 Posts

I assume folks are referring to the product and not the company?

The company could be broken up but, I don't see why. There's absolutely no gain when talking about echo chambers etc.

If we're talking about the product ... sure? But how? and what's the end goal? You'd just end up with multiple mini Facebooks.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Nonstop-Madness: I think they mean separating the advertising, the storage of an individual's data, and the bogging, and having policies that dictate interaction between the three groups which try to minimize any interaction into the most necessary interactions, and mandate privacy and anonymity in those interactions.

But I'm honestly just doing my best guess here because really nobody knows and it's quite nebulous.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

All social media should simply be destroyed. CEOs of the likes of Twitter and Facebook need to immediately be removed from all power.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@Telekill said:

All social media should simply be destroyed. CEOs of the likes of Twitter and Facebook need to immediately be removed from all power.

The political horseshoe theory is becoming a pretzel. The ends are beginning to meet.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1094 Posts

Social media platforms need restrictions who can use it, have an online ID like driver license were it has a code to be able to create only one account and not multiple accounts to get rid of fake accounts and once banned you are banned for life and people would do more research before posting misinformation, age restrictions as well 18+ to be able to create an social media account so kids can focus on education and not what someone thinks of them but that will never happen

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 174312 Posts

@sheep99 said:

Social media platforms need restrictions who can use it, have an online ID like driver license were it has a code to be able to create only one account and not multiple accounts to get rid of fake accounts and once banned you are banned for life and people would do more research before posting misinformation, age restrictions as well 18+ to be able to create an social media account so kids can focus on education and not what someone thinks of them but that will never happen

Yikes. Talk about authoritarian states.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1913 Posts
@sheep99 said:

I like this. The one-account-at-a-time approach would solve a lot of problems. Don't know about a lifetime ban, but a cool-down period at least would help.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sheep99

@LJS9502_basic: why please explain as of right now people abuse social media by creating fake accounts with fake profiles and its not against the law even using other peoples pictures etc.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sheep99

@sancho_panzer: anything would be better than what we have now

Lumine6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lumine6
Member since 2021 • 13 Posts

Since social media has been proven to be so toxic, especially to mental health, either it gets regulated, or, in absence of better solutions, completely shut down.

Populations well being is literally at stake.