Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

The Hill

Rep Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) is drawing criticism for echoing language used by Turkey to deny the Armenian genocide took place.

Omar is one of two Democrats who voted “present” on a House resolution recognizing the systematic massacres of Armenian Christians that took place in the early 20th century.

The resolution drew widespread bipartisan support in the House, passing with a vote of 405 to 11, and was brought to a vote alongside Democratic efforts to sanction Turkey for its incursion into northeastern Syria.

In a written explanation for her vote, Omar said that the recognition of genocide and mass atrocities should be done outside politics and “based on academic consensus,” a phrase that Armenian rights groups say Turkish deniers use to sow doubt.

“Rep. Omar's suggestion that there is no ‘academic consensus’ effectively denies the Armenian Genocide,” said Aram Hamparian, executive director of the Armenian National Committee of America. “It basically takes a page from the Turkish Embassy's denial playbook.”

Omar’s office, on Thursday, sought to clarify that the congresswoman was stating she believes there is academic consensus on the fact that the genocide happened, emphasizing that her vote was a protest of the House using the genocide as a “political cudgel.”

The congresswoman also voted "no" on legislation sanctioning Turkey for its offensive against U.S.-allied Syrian Kurds, saying sanctions hurt civilians more than the government.

The congresswoman wrote a thread on Twitter further clarifying her comments.

“This is classic 'real politique!' My issue was not with the substance of this resolution. *Of course* we should acknowledge the Genocide,” she wrote.

About 1.5 million Armenian Christians were systematically murdered by the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century. Turkey denies that there is enough historical evidence to point to genocide and criticizes the event as disputed and controversial.

Efforts to have foreign governments recognize Turkish atrocities are often struck down to preserve foreign relations with Turkey. Only 29 countries, now including the United States, recognize the Armenian genocide, according to the Armenian National Institute.

“The International Association of Genocide Scholars, the preeminent body on the subject, has repeatedly and unequivocally affirmed the fact of the Armenian Genocide,” said Bryan Ardouny, executive director of the Armenian Assembly of America.

“The suggestion that consensus is lacking is but a gloss of the Turkish denial argument. It is precisely for that very reason the resolution includes a firm rejection of genocide denial,” he said.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) was the one other Democrat to vote "present" on the bill but did not offer an explanation for her abstention. Her office did not respond to request for comment on the congresswoman’s reasoning.

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) also voted "present" and issued a statement condemning the resolution as a pretext to attack President Trump and described deaths of Armenian Christians as “legitimate war casualties.”

The 11 "no" votes came from Republicans. The Hill reached out to the offices for comment.

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) criticized the resolution for using “tragedies of the past” to hurt present-day U.S.-Turkish relations.

“There’s no denying that horrific atrocities were committed against the Armenian people by the Ottoman Empire in the midst of the confusion and carnage of the First World War,” he said in a statement to The Hill. “But I think we need to be careful not to allow tragedies of the past to complicate and endanger lives of Americans engaged in critical work in a dangerous and volatile region.”

House Democrats on Thursday were tightlipped about Omar’s criticism of the House resolution.

A spokesman for Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, of which Omar is a member, declined to comment about the congresswoman’s reasons for abstention.

Outside Capitol Hill, Enes Kanter, a Swiss-born Turkish basketball player for the Boston Celtics and an outspoken critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, criticized the Minnesota congresswoman for siding with Erdoğan, whom he called a dictator. Kanter accused Omar for working for Erdoğan's political interests.

Armenian Christians in Minnesota, however, said politics kept the congresswoman from standing up for human rights.

“Is there a right or wrong time to ... stand up for justice that she claims to be a champion for?” the Rev. Tadeos Barseghyan, pastor at St. Sahag Armenian Church in St. Paul, told the Star Tribune, Minnesota’s largest newspaper.

Parish council chair Michele Byfrield Angell also told the paper she wished Omar had approved the resolution.

“If [Omar] is going to be representing our community here, she should hear us. ... If she’s voting present as acknowledging it but not doing anything about it, then what is she doing?” she said.

Omar is frequently the center of media attention over controversial and offensive statements, most notably against Israel and Jewish Americans who support Israel.

She’s been criticized for playing on anti-Semitic tropes, saying Israel “hypnotized the world,” that congressional support for the Jewish state is “all about the Benjamins” and that American Jews push for “allegiance to a foreign country.”

In March, Omar’s controversial comments instigated a House resolution condemning antisemitism but was broadened to include all hate speech after an image of the Minnesota congresswoman was the center of an anti-Islam poster in the West Virginia Statehouse.

What... the... ****? Isn't she the same "Justice Democrat" that lashed out at Obama for his droning and bombing? And she DOES this?

Dear gods!

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Who?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nintendoboy16  Online
@n64dd said:

Who?

One of "The Squad"? Which also includes AOC, Pressley, and Tlaib?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@n64dd said:

Who?

One of "The Squad"? Which also includes AOC, Pressley, and Tlaib?

I don't pay attention to bottom tier candidates who will disappear within a year.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Then she needs voted out...….

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

How is she still employed? She doesn’t think of her constituents and brings her backwards thinking into decision making. That’s not how to do her job.

Minnesota - what were you thinking electing her?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

How is she still employed? She doesn’t think of her constituents and brings her backwards thinking into decision making. That’s not how to do her job.

Minnesota - what were you thinking electing her?

Same thing America was thinking when they elected trump.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Regardless of where you sit on the Trump issue. He loves his country. These Democrats - not so much.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: Regardless of where you sit on the Trump issue. He loves his country. These Democrats - not so much.

He loves his country so much he's breaking laws, including Constitutional laws. Give me a break.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16  Online
@Sevenizz said:

LOL You're joking... he has broken too many laws (ex: on Joe Biden, asking the Ukraine and China, the latter of whom Hong Kong Protesters are asking the US to help fend against, to have DIRT on him, basically admitting to foreign interference).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Sevenizz said:

He loves his country so much he's breaking laws, including Constitutional laws. Give me a break.

He loves his wallet and his ego more than his country.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Sevenizz said:

I was literally saying the opposite of he loves his country.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Recognizing mass murder as MASS MURDER shouldn't be a hard thing to do. She's making excuses, for what reason I don't know what. Her base wouldn't have seen a yes vote as being bad.

I'd gladly support a primary challenger against her in a heart beat at this point.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I think she makes a good point about how we shouldn't use genocide to play politics. But what happened to the Armenians should be acknowledged, and if not now, then when?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Sevenizz said:

I was literally saying the opposite of he loves his country.

I know. I accidentally quoted you in that chain.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

This is a woman who referred to 9/11 as "a time someone did something". I guess she has some kind of mental condition that prevents her from remembering the specifics of Muslim based terrorism and genocide.

@Sevenizz said:

Par for the course for Republicans and Democrats in general. Dems usually feel the most pride for their country when they are in power.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I'm surprised the House of Reps recognized the Armenian Genocide. Recognition has always been difficult since the 80s, thanks to geopolitics ("Turkey is a valuable NATO ally for the Cold War, "War on Terrorism" etc) and the Turkish Lobby. It doesn't mean much as it's not legally binding and I'd rather have Turkey confront their past but good for the House of Reps.

As for Ilhan Omar's vote, I'm disappointed but her reasoning doesn't imply she doesn't think the genocide didn't happen. Don't know why we're focusing on her though instead of the other reps that voted against it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online
@drunk_pi said:

I'm surprised the House of Reps recognized the Armenian Genocide. Recognition has always been difficult since the 80s, thanks to geopolitics ("Turkey is a valuable NATO ally for the Cold War, "War on Terrorism" etc) and the Turkish Lobby. It doesn't mean much as it's not legally binding and I'd rather have Turkey confront their past but good for the House of Reps.

As for Ilhan Omar's vote, I'm disappointed but her reasoning doesn't imply she doesn't think the genocide didn't happen. Don't know why we're focusing on her though instead of the other reps that voted against it.

My guess is that Erdogan's done some nasty things in recent memory that's a bit much for anyone not named Trump.

Still, for all the "progressive" views and again, her criticizing Obama's action in the Middle East, the "present" view still makes her look like a hypocrite. Almost like another "Democrat" considered "progressive". *points to Hawaii and a certain surfer beloved by Jimmy Dore, Fox News and Breitbart*

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

This is interesting, because here you have a politician more or less doing the wrong thing (not voting) for the right reasons, and people hating on her for very superficial reasons, i.e. the right thing for the wrong reason.

She clearly stated that she acknowledges the genocide, she just didn't toe the line in political session because she feels that should be kept out of politics.

She is certainly controversial.

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#20 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 491 Posts

Well, It's nice to know she will be a one and done politician. I mean it's very widely accepted that this genocide happened and is finally getting the recognition that it actually did. And to not only not say yes but also come up with multiple reasons as to why you didn't (both pretty conflicting of the other) means she obviously is trying to cover her tracks. This woman has got to go and I'm a dem fyi.