HUD Secretary Ben Carson proposes higher rent for Americans receiving housing subsidies

#1 Posted by mattbbpl (15897 posts) -

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Wednesday proposed raising the amount that low-income families are expected to pay for rent - tripling it for the poorest households - as well as encouraging those receiving housing subsidies to work, according to a legislative proposal obtained by The Washington Post.

The move to overhaul how rental subsidies are calculated would affect 4.7 million families relying on federal housing assistance. The proposal legislation would require congressional approval.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-hud-rent-changes-20180425-story.html

I'm not sure if this would effect anyone you know. It would effect a few families I know.

#2 Edited by bigfootpart2 (924 posts) -

Screw the people on the verge of homelessness. It's the millionaires and billionaires who are really hurting and need tax breaks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#3 Edited by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

What’s the rationale for such a policy?

Why is Ben Carson anywhere near a cabinet position?

#4 Posted by mattbbpl (15897 posts) -

@perfect_blue: I searched for the reasoning, but all I found at this admittedly early point was Been saying that the current policy is "confusing".

#5 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@mattbbpl: What a legend.

#6 Posted by plageus900 (2533 posts) -

How are they calculating adjusted income? How do housing subsidies work? Is money paid directly to the landlord by the federal government and the tenants make up the difference?

I plan on renting out some property in the next few years, so this might be good to know.

#7 Posted by mattbbpl (15897 posts) -

@perfect_blue: Got a new quote from him on the subject.

“Every year, it takes more money, millions of dollars more, to serve the same number of households,” Carson said on the call. “It’s widely accepted that only 1 in 4 families who need and actually qualify for assistance [actually receive it] …It’s clear that from a budget perspective and from a human point of view, the current system is unsustainable.”

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (35271 posts) -

This is immense BS. Lots of disabled people need these benefits because much of them can't work because of their condition. Might as well do what Hitler and Pol Pot did to disabled citizens of the country they claim to be either protecting or fighting for.

#9 Posted by mattbbpl (15897 posts) -

@plageus900: Unless it has changed, each party pays their portion separately.

The method of calculation of income is in the article.

There are pros and cons to the programs as a landlord. I ultimately decided against it, but circumstances vary.

#10 Posted by narlymech (1585 posts) -

Whatever happened to compassionate conservatives? I guess that all went away with Trump. Let's hope we can vote them all out come November.

#11 Posted by Serraph105 (32706 posts) -

Tax cuts for the rich and making it harder for the poor to keep from going homeless. That's what plutocracy looks like.

#12 Posted by theone86 (22136 posts) -

I think what we're all REALLY waiting to find out is, did Ben Carson's new furniture set arrive yet? I mean, HUD is practically crippled as an agency without that office makeover. Is the duvet in? How can you expect them to help the needy without the full set?

#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41898 posts) -

How else are we going to keep the poor people poor and oppressed? And why can't they just work harder at a job they can't get that won't pay them more, and then spend tens of thousands of dollars on an education they can't get, in order to get said job that won't pay them enough to live and pay their loan? What a bunch of lazy slobs, Ben Carson has the right idea!

:P

#14 Posted by Horgen (118366 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

How else are we going to keep the poor people poor and oppressed? And why can't they just work harder at a job they can't get that won't pay them more, and then spend tens of thousands of dollars on an education they can't get, in order to get said job that won't pay them enough to live and pay their loan? What a bunch of lazy slobs, Ben Carson has the right idea!

:P

Trump should give him a raise. :P

#15 Edited by JimB (2221 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

This is immense BS. Lots of disabled people need these benefits because much of them can't work because of their condition. Might as well do what Hitler and Pol Pot did to disabled citizens of the country they claim to be either protecting or fighting for.

There are a lot of people who could work, but why should they if someone else is going to keep them. Also many disabled people can work. When you build a building or renovate a space it has to meet ADA requirements. Those who are truly disabled I believe would be taken care of. From reading Dr. Carson's comments because of the current system there are thousands of people waiting for aid but can't get the aid they need.

#16 Posted by Jacanuk (16441 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Wednesday proposed raising the amount that low-income families are expected to pay for rent - tripling it for the poorest households - as well as encouraging those receiving housing subsidies to work, according to a legislative proposal obtained by The Washington Post.

The move to overhaul how rental subsidies are calculated would affect 4.7 million families relying on federal housing assistance. The proposal legislation would require congressional approval.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-hud-rent-changes-20180425-story.html

I'm not sure if this would effect anyone you know. It would effect a few families I know.

No, it would not affect anyone I know.

But it seems like a minor change and also it´s good to allow more to enforce work requirements.

But don´t think he can get it passed before midterms.

#17 Posted by Solaryellow (4371 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

You must believe the only ones receiving the handout are those who are disabled or sick and are unable to work.

#18 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -
@Solaryellow said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

You must believe the only ones receiving the handout are those who are disabled or sick and are unable to work.

In 2010, 88 percent of all voucher households were elderly, disabled, working (or had recently worked), or likely to be subject to a work requirement under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.

Elderly or disabled households make up nearly half (49 percent) of all voucher households, a significant increase over the past decade.

Three-fourths of the voucher households that are not elderly or disabled either work or participate in other programs that have work requirements.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/large-majority-of-housing-voucher-recipients-work-are-elderly-or-have-disabilities

#19 Posted by sonicare (56202 posts) -

Seems counterintuitive to raise the rent on people receiving housing subsidies.

#20 Posted by TryIt (12011 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

not remotely surprised.

nice furniture he has though

#21 Posted by mariokart64fan (20782 posts) -

Yes let's propose higher rent for those of us including me who is in need of a cheap place yo live god that really helps you greedy people who make millions should be the ones taking the hit

#22 Edited by lamprey263 (35649 posts) -

Well, we got Republicans running things, and that's what Republicans do; really, should we be surprised?

All we need is some Ayn Randian spin-master saying this will give Americans more choice and that's what makes the country great, you have the choice to live in a $100 million mansion or sleep next to a dumpster, what kind of person you are is entirely up to you.