How would you rate the 117th Congress?

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

36047

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Looking back over the past two years, how would you rate the most recent Congress compared to other legislative sessions in the past few decades? How much did they get passed and what sort of impact will the bills passed ultimately have? How did this compare to your expectations?

The largest bills passed were the American Rescue Plan, the Bipartisan Infrastructure build, and the Inflation Reduction act.

Other notable legislation includes the PACT act, CHIPs act, Postal Service Reform act, Safer Communities act, and Respect for Marriage Act among others.

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

36047

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I personally think they accomplished a huge amount considering they had literally no room for error in the Senate. Plus the IRA was the climate change bill that was massively needed for the world at large, they get high marks from me for this bill alone.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

23071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23071 Posts

7/10. Solid, above average session. Not special.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts

1/10

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

178895

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178895 Posts

Passed some important legislation. Could have done more but it would have died in the Senate anyway. Hard to blame the House.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

58657

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58657 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

7/10. Solid, above average session. Not special.

Yeah, same.

I'm generally tempted to rate all of them kind of low because they never do as much as they should, but they did some good stuff despite the odds (COVID, rampant misinformation, obstructionists, etc)

@sargentd said:

1/10

Are your rating them that because they're a governmental body 😂 or because you actually think they did a poor job?

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

23071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23071 Posts

@mrbojangles25: There's value in just doing what must be done with speed, particularly when fighting off a recession which is very time sensitive.

Seraph gives them props for environmental legislation. I give them props for economic policy and expediency.

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

19615

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19615 Posts

@The_Deepblue: You don't think it's important to spend money on defence and international relations? Weird.

If I was American, I'd absolutely want the US to continue funding Ukraine. It keeps one the USA's biggest threats tied up in a humiliating war that severely weakens Putin's position, and it helps improve US relations and alliances with every other democratic country, all without risking the lives of any US soldiers.

That seems really important at a time when Russia has admitted to interfering with US elections, and has shown nothing but belligerence towards the US and its allies.

Avatar image for The_Deepblue
The_Deepblue

1484

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#10 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@Planeforger: Throw billions at an inevitable loss to protect a country that most Americans know nothing about when the American citizenry has more than its share of problems to which the government seems to turn a blind eye?

I’m tired of America being the cop of the world when its own precincts are crumbling from so much moral and social decay, not to mention the hollowing out of the middle class economically.

But it’s a natural consequence of globalism. Oh well.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

1/10

Theft through taxation on a grand scale. Stop funding Ukraine. If you're gonna just throw around billions of dollars every month, throw it at the American people struggling with this disgusting inflation.

I agree. Nothing but bloated pork barrel spending while the american people suffer under rising costs of living, rising crime, neglecting our border security, But hey! We gave Ukraine over 100 billion dollars and gave a shit ton of money to the IRS. Because thats what the average ever day American is concerned about right... lol Giving our money to Ukraine and IRS Agents. Oh yeah baby!! Love it!! That's what we have been begging for from our government lol...

Then people wonder why Congress struggles to break a 20% approval rating lmao....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/207579/public-approval-rating-of-the-us-congress/

@mrbojangles25 I think they are inept. They do little to nothing to actually help the American people. The majority of congress is in it to please their donors once they get in. Most owe favors to corporations and special interest groups. The system is too bloated and corrupt to actually do anything meaningful for the American people. I dont think its always been like this historically. But in my lifetime i see congress as a deformed monster of what it was intended to be.

It no longer feels like the "peoples" House.

Its Google's house ,Its Exxon's house, its "whoever has the most money to give to us" House.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

@Planeforger: Throw billions at an inevitable loss to protect a country that most Americans know nothing about when the American citizenry has more than its share of problems to which the government seems to turn a blind eye?

I’m tired of America being the cop of the world when its own precincts are crumbling from so much moral and social decay, not to mention the hollowing out of the middle class economically.

But it’s a natural consequence of globalism. Oh well.

agree 100%

Avatar image for SUD123456
SUD123456

6977

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6977 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

@Planeforger: Throw billions at an inevitable loss to protect a country that most Americans know nothing about when the American citizenry has more than its share of problems to which the government seems to turn a blind eye?

Completely uninformed position.

Cost per citizen so far is max $150. Total govt spending in 2022 is $6 Trillion. Ukraine spending/pledged is $50 Billion.

For that tiny drop in a bucket, a major adversary has been militarily gutted, economically and technologically blockaded, and setback at least a decade.

Meanwhile your own alliance has been strengthened, allies have pledged greater sustained military funding, new members are joining, significant allies are weening themselves off dependence on the adversaries energy supplies and geopolitical goodwill has shifted towards you and away from the adversary.

This is by far the cheapest, most cost effective, most militarily and economically successful rebalance of power among major adversaries in many decades and possibly in history. And with virtually no fatalities to the major benefactors.

And Ukraine itself, whatever the final borders turn out to be, will move firmly into the western camp.

It's a gift from Putin.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts

@SUD123456 said:
@The_Deepblue said:

@Planeforger: Throw billions at an inevitable loss to protect a country that most Americans know nothing about when the American citizenry has more than its share of problems to which the government seems to turn a blind eye?

Completely uninformed position.

Cost per citizen so far is max $150. Total govt spending in 2022 is $6 Trillion. Ukraine spending/pledged is $50 Billion.

For that tiny drop in a bucket, a major adversary has been militarily gutted, economically and technologically blockaded, and setback at least a decade.

I don't want anything to do with that 6 TRILLION in spending... Its insanity.

I don't want to fund war in Ukraine when the American people are hurting.

That massive bucket is the problem. Government spending is absolutely out of control.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

3754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3754 Posts

Democrats and Biden got a tremendous amount done for the American people, likely only 2nd to FDR.

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

36047

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

@sargentd said:
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

You know how you can tell republicans don't have both houses of congress and the white house? They're still pretending to care about the national debt.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

23071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23071 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@sargentd said:

You know how you can tell republicans don't have both houses of congress and the white house? They're still pretending to care about the national debt.

It seems to me that if it's truly a crisis we can make up some of the difference by repealing a portion of the "biggest tax cut ever" that was passed during Trump administration. We can all agree on that, right?

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

36047

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:
@sargentd said:

You know how you can tell republicans don't have both houses of congress and the white house? They're still pretending to care about the national debt.

It seems to me that if it's truly a crisis we can make up some of the difference by repealing a portion of the "biggest tax cut ever" that was passed during Trump administration. We can all agree on that, right?

I mean that sounds good to me.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts
@Serraph105 said:
@sargentd said:
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

You know how you can tell republicans don't have both houses of congress and the white house? They're still pretending to care about the national debt.

David truly an old man yelling at clouds in that chamber. Nobody cares Democrat or Republican. But atleast the guy is consistent. He gave all the new representatives another shouting today "Your government is an insurance company with an army" lol

I appreciate him saying it tho.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

23071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23071 Posts

@sargentd: He's peddling the same bullshit talking points the GOP has always relied on, including the trickle down economics excuses why tax increases are off the table.

****ing please. No one is buying this shit anymore.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

@sargentd: He's peddling the same bullshit talking points the GOP has always relied on, including the trickle down economics excuses why tax increases are off the table.

****ing please. No one is buying this shit anymore.

He's just showing the math on the debt and spending. Has nothing to do with trickle down anything. You didn't listen to him.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

23071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23071 Posts
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

@sargentd: He's peddling the same bullshit talking points the GOP has always relied on, including the trickle down economics excuses why tax increases are off the table.

****ing please. No one is buying this shit anymore.

He's just showing the math on the debt and spending. Has nothing to do with trickle down anything. You didn't listen to him.

I absolutely did listen to him, it appears you failed to. "The country has a spending problem. As you can see, as tax rate decreases economic growth goes up, blah blah blah."

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

8565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#24 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8565 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

@sargentd: He's peddling the same bullshit talking points the GOP has always relied on, including the trickle down economics excuses why tax increases are off the table.

****ing please. No one is buying this shit anymore.

He's just showing the math on the debt and spending. Has nothing to do with trickle down anything. You didn't listen to him.

I absolutely did listen to him, it appears you failed to. "The country has a spending problem. As you can see, as tax rate decreases economic growth goes up, blah blah blah."

He's not talking about that lol. He's pointing out that it is straight up impossible to actually balance the budget with current spending. He's pointing out the math. That almost 75% of our spending is mandatory. Compared to 30% decades ago. That even if your taxed everyone who makes 500,000 or more at a 100% it wouldn't even be able to put a dent in it. That even if you cut US military spending entirely it would barley put a fraction of a dent in it and that both Republicans and Democrats are commiting fraud by telling thier constituents they are going to fix it. That the hard math is ignored by the majority of both Democrats and Republicans and if they keep ignoring it and kicking it down the road it's going to implode. That many on both on the left and right don't want to aknowledge the math because it pretty much invalidates thier promises to do anything about it, they pretend thier proposals will do anything is fraud to the American people.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
comp_atkins

38704

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#25 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38704 Posts

@sargentd said:
@SUD123456 said:
@The_Deepblue said:

@Planeforger: Throw billions at an inevitable loss to protect a country that most Americans know nothing about when the American citizenry has more than its share of problems to which the government seems to turn a blind eye?

Completely uninformed position.

Cost per citizen so far is max $150. Total govt spending in 2022 is $6 Trillion. Ukraine spending/pledged is $50 Billion.

For that tiny drop in a bucket, a major adversary has been militarily gutted, economically and technologically blockaded, and setback at least a decade.

I don't want anything to do with that 6 TRILLION in spending... Its insanity.

I don't want to fund war in Ukraine when the American people are hurting.

That massive bucket is the problem. Government spending is absolutely out of control.

as was posted. you couldn't ask for a better return on that relatively ( % of federal budget ) paltry investment.

the "i don't want to fund X while Y is a problem attitude" is a cop out imo. Y is always a problem. that doesn't mean you can't also address X.

Avatar image for THE_DRUGGIE
THE_DRUGGIE

25107

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#27 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Better than the crap I took last week