How would you feel if your police started using facial recognition glasses?

• 55 results
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/chinese-police-using-smart-sunglasses-to-monitor-citizens/

So China seems to be on roll of using smartglasses recently and there have been positive outcomes:

Chinese state media reports that seven suspects — wanted for crimes ranging from hit-and-runs to sex trafficking — have already been arrested using the new technology. Police have also caught 26 people with fake IDs, according to the People’s Daily. The arrests all took place at the train stain in Zhengzhou

on the other hand:

But critics worry this technology is only giving the authoritarian government more power to track its citizens. The sunglasses could be easily used to profile minorities or catch political dissidents.

It feels very authoritarian like but in this day in age, I think it might be needed if it stops threats like domestic terrorism.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@TheShadowLord07:

I personally have no issue with it but I can tell that many corrupt law enforcement will use them for their own selfish desires. It's a good idea but I don't think it would be responsible to give every cop a pair. Only those who prove they can use them responsibly.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

No objections. I'm just glad they're finally using smart glasses for things that are actually useful.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Catch sex traffickers?

I'll buy some for the local department.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Why would I feel something about this? Sounds like identity politics. Either something is useful or it isn't and this looks useful. If you're feeling something then stop right there and hug a teddy bear.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

A tool isn't authoritarian. It is all in how the tool is used. If they use it to catch rapists, it is made of awesome. If they use it to track down folks with unpopular beliefs so they can club them a bunch, it is monstrous.

@nepu7supastar7: How can they be misused or used selfishly?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Catch sex traffickers?

I'll buy some for the local department.

Go in halfsies?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

That'd be great. They could call me by name lol. It'd be awesome if they could see info in AR form on the person. Public knowledge of course.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts
@joebones5000 said:

I am not one of those people who pretends that their rights are constantly under assault by others or the "gubmint", so I wouldn't care one bit. There should be no expectation of privacy in public.

Oh you don't? Other countries haven't shown you what they can do when their leaders are left unchecked?

Anyways...

I imagine that it would be similar to fingerprinting.

Their glasses would be used to recognize people that have already be in trouble. Just because they recognize you, doesn't mean they're going to stop and harass you. Cops already visually recognize people that they've encountered in the past.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

I'd be OK with that.

I mean they can already pull up everything about you on computers, follow you with city-wide cameras, track you with satellites and drones (if you are a serious threat)...using a more streamlined and faster process for on-the-ground ID seems to be taking this to it's logical, less-expensive, and more effective conclusion.

My only qualm with this is that the next thing you know, they will install special cameras at the DMV that can capture the needed detail required for these glasses. Next thing you know, instead of being on a "prior-offender" list like you are when you get your fingerprints, suddenly everyone is on the list and everyone can be tracked.

I'd only be OK with this if the people that could be tracked had priors or whatever it's called.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd be OK with that.

I mean they can already pull up everything about you on computers, follow you with city-wide cameras, track you with satellites and drones (if you are a serious threat)...using a more streamlined and faster process for on-the-ground ID seems to be taking this to it's logical, less-expensive, and more effective conclusion.

My only qualm with this is that the next thing you know, they will install special cameras at the DMV that can capture the needed detail required for these glasses. Next thing you know, instead of being on a "prior-offender" list like you are when you get your fingerprints, suddenly everyone is on the list and everyone can be tracked.

I'd only be OK with this if the people that could be tracked had priors or whatever it's called.

Best just to go off the grid at this point if someone wants to avoid being "tracked" by anything. If you are connected to the internet, you are being tracked in some way, even if it's just your location via IP.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd be OK with that.

Best just to go off the grid at this point if someone wants to avoid being "tracked" by anything. If you are connected to the internet, you are being tracked in some way, even if it's just your location via IP.

believe me, going off the grid is a dream of mine. Not so much for privacy reasons (though that is a perk!), but more for self-sustaining reasons. Would love to find a nice plot of land, have a well for water, grow most of my own stuff, solar panels/wind turbines for energy.

I'd still have internet, of course, so it would not be totally off the grid, but it'd be damn close.

Would require a lot of money, though. I might just hermit it out and go legitimately off the grid. But that'd require survival training haha

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58834 Posts

@kittennose said:

A tool isn't authoritarian. It is all in how the tool is used. If they use it to catch rapists, it is made of awesome. If they use it to track down folks with unpopular beliefs so they can club them a bunch, it is monstrous.

This seems right.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

I guess I could be OK with it if it is used solely to track people that are already wanted.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

Mandatory body cameras first that the officer cannot turn off. Then add this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I don't really like this. There are some expectations of privacy even when you are in public such as the content of your phone and where you are throughout the day. I don't know, but this seems to be a step too far, especially when you consider that one of the sources of data with hidden value that tech companies are currently trying to collect for free is your face. Having police officers walking around with devices like this would incentives companies like Apple either give or sell that data to the government and I'm already tired of them collecting other types of data from myself without providing compensation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The idea itself seems okay but it’s being used by the Chinese government. They make the “Russian threat” look like kindergarten class.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 plageus900

@joebones5000: ...and you went from police officers having facial recognition glasses to fear of 'the gubmint'.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178835 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

Mandatory body cameras first that the officer cannot turn off. Then add this.

Indeed. If society is being watched then so should those doing the watching. With civilian oversight.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen

@Serraph105 said:

I don't really like this. There are some expectations of privacy even when you are in public such as the content of your phone and where you are throughout the day. I don't know, but this seems to be a step too far, especially when you consider that one of the sources of data with hidden value that tech companies are currently trying to collect for free is your face. Having police officers walking around with devices like this would incentives companies like Apple either give or sell that data to the government and I'm already tired of them collecting other types of data from myself without providing compensation.

I agree. Thinking more about it, how far will this surveillance go?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@horgen said:

I guess I could be OK with it if it is used solely to track people that are already wanted.

well I am not how their smart glasses work, but if it's like their high-end security camera's then everyone is being watched rather they are walking or in their car.

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen

@TheShadowLord07: Wow, that is way over doing it. I know you should expect to filmed a lot of places these days, but like that, that is way overdoing it. Tracking every damn step you make, saving it all in their big database. "only" using it when needed. Well I guess that is technically right, but when is it really needed?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Is it really required?
Wouldn't a PDA with access to the suspect database be sufficient for police officers to determine whether the person they have taken notice off is wanted or not?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 plageus900

@joebones5000 said:
@plageus900 said:

@joebones5000: ...and you went from police officers having facial recognition glasses to fear of 'the gubmint'.

I pointed out that people like you do.....and you did exactly that in your first reply. lol.

I actually do not.

I made the same ridiculous statement, but in reverse. You equated 'not wanting cops to have facial recognition glasses' to 'the government is raping my rights!'.

I equated allowing them to have glasses to 'we're leaving the government unchecked!'

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 plageus900

@joebones5000 said:
@plageus900 said:
@joebones5000 said:
@plageus900 said:

I pointed out that people like you do.....and you did exactly that in your first reply. lol.

I actually do not.

Yeah, you did and everyone can see it in your first ridiculous reply to me.

..........did you read the rest of my original post or did you just latch on to the first two sentences?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/chinese-police-using-smart-sunglasses-to-monitor-citizens/

So China seems to be on roll of using smartglasses recently and there have been positive outcomes:

Chinese state media reports that seven suspects — wanted for crimes ranging from hit-and-runs to sex trafficking — have already been arrested using the new technology. Police have also caught 26 people with fake IDs, according to the People’s Daily. The arrests all took place at the train stain in Zhengzhou

on the other hand:

But critics worry this technology is only giving the authoritarian government more power to track its citizens. The sunglasses could be easily used to profile minorities or catch political dissidents.

It feels very authoritarian like but in this day in age, I think it might be needed if it stops threats like domestic terrorism.

Great idea and hopefully America and the rest of the western world will soon follow suit.

And those who may yell about their rights being violated is just talking a lot of nonsense.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 plageus900

@joebones5000 said:
@plageus900 said:

..........did you read the rest of my original post or did you just latch on to the first two sentences?

It's there for everyone to see, pal.

It sure is, chief.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 plageus900

@joebones5000: You must have a reading disability. Your first post assumed that anyone pushing against cops having facial recognition glasses, is afraid of the big, bad government trampling on their rights. Your post also insinuates that our government isn't capable of such things. Which of course b.s.

Then I went on to say that I personally I have no problem with police officers using facial recognition glasses.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 horgen

@Jacanuk said:

And those who may yell about their rights being violated is just talking a lot of nonsense.

You don't care about your rights?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 plageus900

@joebones5000 said:
@plageus900 said:

@joebones5000: You must have a reading disability. Your first post assumed that anyone pushing against cops having facial recognition glasses, is afraid of the big, bad government trampling on their rights. Your post also insinuates that our government isn't capable of such things. Which of course b.s.

Then I went on to say that I personally I have no problem with police officers using facial recognition glasses.

I am assuming nothing. You are the one who clearly wrote the nonsense you wrote. Don't blame it on me because you're all butthurt for being called on it. Not my fault.

I'm not butthurt at all. I feel like I'm explaining something to a 5 year old who eats crayons.

......you're not 5 are you?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Of course but no rights are violated if the police start to use those glasses.

It´s no more a violation than a traffic cam or a normal security cam in a public place.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

It´s no more a violation than a traffic cam or a normal security cam in a public place.

Except those are stationary, these are highly mobile.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

And? police today have mobile body cams and most cop cars have onboard cams.

If this can help catch criminals, which it can if you remember the test they ran earlier last year, where they found a bunch of wanted criminals. I am 100% for it.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KittenNose

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Perhaps you could explain how making cameras mobile constitutes a violation of someone's rights?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 horgen

@kittennose said:

Perhaps you could explain how making cameras mobile constitutes a violation of someone's rights?

I guess it is not. On the other hand do I not like this development in more and more surveillance.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@kittennose said:

I guess it is not. On the other hand do I not like this development in more and more surveillance.

Do you have something to hide? because considering the amount of "surveillance" you voluntary agree to today and the amount private and the government have put in place, cops with facial scanning glasses seem like a bit minuscule to get upset over.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@kittennose said:

Do you have something to hide? because considering the amount of "surveillance" you voluntary agree to today and the amount private and the government have put in place, cops with facial scanning glasses seem like a bit minuscule to get upset over.

Take off your pants, snap a picture of your genitals, and post it on here for all to see please.

I'm guessing you don't want to do that, and it's not because your genitals are hiding anything, but because you don't wish to expose yourself and have it documented simply because they aren't hiding anything.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KittenNose

@Serraph105 said:

Take off your pants, snap a picture of your genitals, and post it on here for all to see please.

I'm guessing you don't want to do that, and it's not because your genitals are hiding anything, but because you don't wish to expose yourself and have it documented simply because they aren't hiding anything.

Now this is just dinky as heck. No one is talking about letting the cops put cameras in people's home, only in public. If you don't want cops with cameras to record your genitals, don't waggle them about in public. If you do choose to waggle your genitals in public, people are going to see them, and heck they even have the right to record it with a camera.

People are very much entitled to keep private things private. It is just silly to expect them to stay private if you whip them out in front of the cops.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

The same way I feel about them using military-grade equipment, squat teams, and implementing stop and frisk policies, i.e. not great.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 horgen

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@kittennose said:

Do I need something to hide to dislike surveillance?

Even the police in Norway have been horrible at deleting old records they were required to delete by law. The Chinese are at least more open about just storing it in a big databank.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KittenNose
@horgen said:

Do I need something to hide to dislike surveillance?

Even the police in Norway have been horrible at deleting old records they were required to delete by law. The Chinese are at least more open about just storing it in a big databank.

Perhaps you could explain, specifically, what the problem is then? It would also be nice if you explained if you think your preference should have any impact on policy. It is sort of problematic to engage with someone who asks very leading, often dishonest questions, but seems to have an allergy taking a firm position. Incorrect assumptions are sort of a natural consequence.