How has this board changed you politically?

#1 Posted by Mercenary848 (11246 posts) -

Has this board changed you politically?

I am on and off(mainly on during the summer) and I feel that personally this board has really given me an insight of people with differing views. Not always for the better lol, but its good to know the otherside.

#2 Edited by foxhound_fox (97096 posts) -

It hasn't.

#3 Posted by mattbbpl (15289 posts) -

It's a slow march, but it's helped me root out cognitive dissonance over the years, solidify my world view, and helped me see where I've been wrong and why.

#4 Posted by KittenNose (2456 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It hasn't.

Yeah I am with Koopa. While my world view is subject to change, 2006 kind of sealed my politics.

#5 Posted by SOedipus (10786 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

It hasn't.

This.

#6 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30631 posts) -

It has shown me the depths of human depravity

#7 Posted by Jacanuk (13201 posts) -
@Mercenary848 said:

Has this board changed you politically?

I am on and off(mainly on during the summer) and I feel that personally this board has really given me an insight of people with differing views. Not always for the better lol, but its good to know the otherside.

ROFL it hasn´t and it never will.

Well, that is, the board has made me more sure of my views since it confirms the truth about a certain political side.

#8 Posted by tjandmia (1003 posts) -

It has shown me how completely backwards, deplorable, gullible, and morally bankrupt the conservative mind truly is.

#9 Posted by Needhealing (816 posts) -

@tjandmia said:

It has shown me how completely backwards, deplorable, gullible, and morally bankrupt the conservative mind truly is.

You should check Fox news facebook posts. 90% of comentors are hillbillies.

#10 Posted by N64DD (9596 posts) -

@needhealing said:
@tjandmia said:

What's a comentors?

#11 Edited by N64DD (9596 posts) -

I've learned the left is brainwashed and morally bankrupt. They cannot accept that Hillary lost fair and square and will create every possible scenario to save face.

#12 Edited by Zaryia (3832 posts) -
@needhealing said:
@tjandmia said:

I get how it goes on at Brietbart (Storm Front 2.0) I'm honestly aghast at how a huge corporation like FOX can't moderate their comment section.

Any article that involves a non-white person involving ANYTHING will have extremely racist comments which will get many likes. Or hell even mixed people like Meghan Markle.

Just a random google search, first FOX article comment reply,

If she gets dumped and comes back home to live, she can go back to her Dreadlocks or Fro and ditch the extensions and hair relaxers. Being phony can only last so long...look at that white woman who passed as black until her white family got tired of it and threw her under the bus.

And that is tame for FOX.

#13 Posted by SOedipus (10786 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@needhealing said:
@tjandmia said:

I get how it goes on at Brietbart (Storm Front 2.0) I'm honestly aghast at how a huge corporation like FOX can't moderate their comment section.

Any article that involves a non-white person involving ANYTHING will have extremely racist comments which will get many likes.

I don't think it's a matter of them not being able to but rather not wanting to moderate.

#14 Posted by Zaryia (3832 posts) -
@SOedipus said:
@zaryia said:
@needhealing said:
@tjandmia said:

Any article that involves a non-white person involving ANYTHING will have extremely racist comments which will get many likes.

I don't think it's a matter of them not being able to but rather not wanting to moderate.

I mean it's certainly not a good look that many Stormfront members moved on to FOX comment section after it shut down.

#15 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19202 posts) -

I've learned that the horse shoe theory strongly applies here.

#16 Posted by raugutcon (5350 posts) -

Still the same.

#17 Posted by mrbojangles25 (40563 posts) -

It hasn't. But it has shown me that A.) people have all kinds of views, and most people are moderates compared to the people we see on TV, and B.) people seem compelled to abandon moderation when they feel they have to choose a side (when they don't really need to).

#18 Posted by Horgen (117397 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Feels more like forced to choose a side. Forced out of a moderate view.

#19 Posted by MirkoS77 (12978 posts) -
@n64dd said:

I've learned the left is brainwashed and morally bankrupt. They cannot accept that Hillary lost fair and square and will create every possible scenario to save face.

Trump is morally bankrupt, and while I wouldn't say the same for all his supporters, one thing's for certain about them: they're willing to sell out their principles for political capital.

#20 Edited by KungfuKitten (25169 posts) -

It hasn't that much. I think that the idea that we are going to convince each other of how right we are is a bit impractical. In any discussion or debate or clash you're not going to convince the others unless they want to really consider what you are saying. Unless they are open to that idea. Which they are probably not if they are trying to do the very same to you. So a bit like hypnosis, changing the mind at least partially comes from the person him- herself.

So I don't think we'll see a lot of people changing their tunes. I'm trying to be open to change and listen to what people say as fairly as I can. Because ultimately I see that as something that is in my self interest too. But I haven't really been on here much.

#21 Posted by thehig1 (6488 posts) -

It hasn't, I'm from the UK and have no interest in US politics

#22 Posted by Horgen (117397 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

It hasn't, I'm from the UK and have no interest in US politics

Why not? Give me a better reality show to watch. :P

#23 Edited by bigfootpart2 (602 posts) -
@n64dd said:

Not really. Many of us on the left didn't think much of her as a candidate. I know lots of liberal people IRL and almost none of them were Hillary supporters. The DNC was trying to run a candidate who wasn't even very well liked in her own party, and who conservatives think is Satan. Nobody on the left cares that much that she lost. We care that a complete retard won.

And if you want to talk about brainwashed and morally bankrupt, I'd say that's a perfect description of Trump supporters.

#24 Posted by themajormayor (25726 posts) -

I'm now a stalinist.

#25 Posted by ComeOnMan (80 posts) -

It hasn't changed me politically. But it has diminished my faith in my fellow human beings.

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people. I suspect a lot of you who are some of the most arrogant, rude and be-littling in your comments and opinions, would be a lot nicer if you weren't hiding behind your keyboard.

I grew up without the internet, with dial telephones, and black and white TV with rabbit ear antennas. Our political disagreements were a lot more civil back in the day. The civility on this board would increase a lot if everyone would imagine themselves sitting across the table from the person with whom they are discussing/debating/arguing. Ask yourself before you post: Would I say this to this person's face? Or am I being a dick because there are no real world consequences?

#26 Edited by Todddow (534 posts) -

It's burnt me out on politics even further. I get tired of seeing the political gamer threads in the recent discussion. Sometimes there are more than all of the other subforums combined. Honestly just sick and tired of people dragging their politics into everything (both sides).

#27 Posted by korvus (11070 posts) -

Considering most people seem to post here in search for validation for their set-in-stone views I don't think you'll find many people who have changed their political views at all due to this board. I mean, come on, for a lot of the posters here the measure of "being right" is when user X or Y disagrees with them...it's hardly the kind of political maturity required to change views.

#28 Posted by Serraph105 (32223 posts) -

Back when people were more demanding of sources and knowledge (which was definitely before the official political gamers forum) it helped me learn more about a fairly wide range of topics. It has also helped me to mostly get past the idea that I need to "win" a discussion, granted sometimes I still see claims that are so clearly wrong that I feel like I need to prove that person wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt, but mostly I'm here to discuss things so that I can better understand an issue.

Really the best way to "win" is to have learned something due to the discussion. Sometime that knowledge is something about the topic at hand (which is what I prefer), sometimes it's that the person I'm discussing things with simply refuses to evolve their own stance regardless of what information is presented (which is too bad because it means that the discussion is frustratingly circular), and sometimes it's a bit of both.

#29 Posted by Horgen (117397 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@SOedipus said:

I mean it's certainly not a good look that many Stormfront members moved on to FOX comment section after it shut down.

Probably generate enough money through ads for it to be good business for them.

#30 Posted by theone86 (21503 posts) -

It's helped to kill my belief in moderation. When I started posting again my mindset was generally to be more open-minded and try to bridge gaps. The discussions here quickly killed that impulse. It's pretty clear that the other side sees that as a weakness and is just going to take advantage any way they can. Now my mindset is **** it, hold my own. If people don't like that then **** them. I think generally I've given up on the concept that you can persuade someone from the other side with a good argument or an olive branch. I usually can't persuade the person I'm arguing with, but I can persuade someone reading the argument. To do that, it's better to argue with conviction then try to appease the other person.

@comeonman said:

It hasn't changed me politically. But it has diminished my faith in my fellow human beings.

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people. I suspect a lot of you who are some of the most arrogant, rude and be-littling in your comments and opinions, would be a lot nicer if you weren't hiding behind your keyboard.

I grew up without the internet, with dial telephones, and black and white TV with rabbit ear antennas. Our political disagreements were a lot more civil back in the day. The civility on this board would increase a lot if everyone would imagine themselves sitting across the table from the person with whom they are discussing/debating/arguing. Ask yourself before you post: Would I say this to this person's face? Or am I being a dick because there are no real world consequences?

You obviously haven't met me in real life (or some of the people I've argued with in real life, for that matter).

#31 Posted by tocool340 (21205 posts) -

It hasn't...

#32 Edited by sonicare (56014 posts) -

Yes, despite my trolling of the left, I tend to lean more left now. They are correct. I just like to tweek their smugness.

#33 Edited by sonicare (56014 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

It's a slow march, but it's helped me root out cognitive dissonance over the years, solidify my world view, and helped me see where I've been wrong and why.

Same. Well put. Usually the internet chat boards are a terrible place to go seeking intellectual discussion, but some of my fellow posters are quite articulate and well researched on their opinions. My beliefs have evolved despite my constant and poor attempts at playing devil's advocate.

#34 Posted by mattbbpl (15289 posts) -

@sonicare: Cheers, mate. I think there are a few saving graces of chat boards - anonymity and scale. The anonymity allows people to openly post their thoughts because if they're wrong, so what? They've lost nothing other than some meaningless reputation behind a screen name that can be discarded tomorrow. The scale allows them to be exposed to a lot of information and viewpoints from a diverse set of people in a relatively short amount of time.

For all their faults (and there are MANY), they're still a useful tool in moderation and when kept in check by other tools.

#35 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30631 posts) -

@sonicare: Thanks bro I appreciate it

#36 Posted by Mercenary848 (11246 posts) -

A lot of good posts here. I feel like this board has gotten a bad rep from a lot of older posters(myself included) used to OT. But now I can see the main gist of it is too spark intellectual and rhetorical criticism. I post enough to be recognized by most of you, but not enough to keep track of everything, but I can tell peoples posting habits are very fluid here. Even my own; I can be toxic and insulting in some threads and patient and willing to be the bigger man in others. This board has shown me my flexibility when engaging in serious political discussion

#37 Edited by Maroxad (14711 posts) -

Not much.

But it has definately shown me that there is a wide range of levels of intelligence on both sides of the spectrum. It is not liberals smart/conservatives dumb or vice versa like a lot of the more tribal members of either side like to claim. Of course, I already knew this to be the case, but it is interesting to really see it with my own eyes.

On the right wing and right leaning people we have valid intellectuals like sonicare and bmanva.

Likewise on the left wing, we have similar intellectuals, several of which posted in this thread, you know who you are.

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163228 posts) -

Well it's definitely turned me against conservatism.

#39 Posted by ComeOnMan (80 posts) -

@theone86:

Obviously I haven't met you in real life. And I guess I'm wondering what your point is.

To be honest, I'm not real familiar with your postings, but you are not one of the posters that I was thinking about when I typed my comment. We have quite a few on here that regularly respond to opposing views with insulting, degrading, dismissive, rude and downright uncivilized remarks. I suspect most are just bad ass keyboard warriors that would be much more polite in person so as not to get punched in the mouth.

I'm not going to review your posts, so just let me say: If you are not an ass, then my comments were not directed at you. However if the point of your response to me is to declare yourself to be the same ass in real life, as you are on the internet, well, good for you, I guess. At least you are a consistent ass.

#40 Posted by MarcRecon (8125 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Not much.

But it has definately shown me that there is a wide range of levels of intelligence on both sides of the spectrum. It is not liberals smart/conservatives dumb or vice versa like a lot of the more tribal members of either side like to claim. Of course, I already knew this to be the case, but it is interesting to really see it with my own eyes.

Agreed and I also agree with this......

@perfect_blue said:

It has shown me the depths of human depravity

Because I believe that both the right and left have valid points, it's just gets sickening when there's a disagreement on certain critical issues and the worst from both sides of the spectrum always seem to get the spotlight in a discussion. The mainstream media rarely highlights rational thinking people in debates or supposed intellectual conversation. I think that's part of what's wrong in our society today, we see dysfunctional behavior as being normal.

#41 Posted by theone86 (21503 posts) -
@comeonman said:

@theone86:

Obviously I haven't met you in real life. And I guess I'm wondering what your point is.

To be honest, I'm not real familiar with your postings, but you are not one of the posters that I was thinking about when I typed my comment. We have quite a few on here that regularly respond to opposing views with insulting, degrading, dismissive, rude and downright uncivilized remarks. I suspect most are just bad ass keyboard warriors that would be much more polite in person so as not to get punched in the mouth.

I'm not going to review your posts, so just let me say: If you are not an ass, then my comments were not directed at you. However if the point of your response to me is to declare yourself to be the same ass in real life, as you are on the internet, well, good for you, I guess. At least you are a consistent ass.

Yeah, I didn't think your comments were directed at me. You just said you thought people wouldn't say a lot of these things in real life and I can say from personal experience that they will, that was my point. Personally, I'm pretty civilized in person unless someone really rubs me the wrong way. Then my asshole switch goes off and I tend to say things that aren't really offensive per se but that I know are going to really piss the other person off, usually to the point of burning bridges. To be fair, the other person is usually making the sorts of uncivilized remarks you're referring to so it's not like I'm being a jerk just because. But yeah, you would not believe the sorts of things people have said to me in real life, I can't even repeat many of them here without getting modded.

#42 Edited by Nuck81 (6983 posts) -

It’s made me realize that gamespot has the worst trolls on the internet.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#43 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11446 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

It’s made me realize that gamespot has the worst trolls on the internet.

Really? Resetera is a lot worse. You actually get banned over there if you aren't an extreme leftist.