Has the regressive left taken over ever aspect of society/culture?

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Has the regressive left taken over ever aspect of society/culture? (33 votes)

yes 21%
maybe 3%
no 76%

I am going to say no. A person who grew up in the slums surrounded by skinheads for example is unlikely going to become a far-left pinko moonbat.

There are still plenty of centrist and right-wing political parties in to vote for in most countries. Most industrialized nations still allow shock humor/irreverent comedy.

Many school and work environments do not have safe spaces, trigger warnings, microagressions, speech codes, etc.

Honestly, I don't think the left is that big of a force anymore worldwide. Neither is hardcore libertarianism IMO.

There are still plenty of people today who hold authoritarian/right-wing views, they are just more clever and discreet about it.

• 
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Still plenty of sane people in the middle.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Its going to take a shit ton from the "regressive left" to tip the scale of how right wing our nation is. Just as a reminder, we have two political parties and it was the democrats that went to the rights ideals and investors, not the other way around. And that is something that has been growing for 30 years now.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#3 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

No. I would think you could claim they've gained a foothold in many areas, but took over everything, no, not even close.

However, that said, I do their there are areas they are close to a take over on. University campuses seem to be VERY close to that point.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Remember we have a new board for this...

-Byshop

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

They took over MTV and spawned Buzzfeed, but nothing important.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I don't find the left to be regressive.

1. becoming less advanced; returning to a former or less developed state:

Sounds like the territory of the traditional values/religious right to me.

2. (of a tax) taking a proportionally greater amount from those on lower incomes:

Again, sounds more like the right.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus

@mark1974 said:

2. (of a tax) taking a proportionally greater amount from those on lower incomes:

Regressive Left, not the left in general.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bullet_Sponge
Member since 2003 • 3579 Posts

@mark1974 said:

Despite its alliterative qualities, the regressive right isn't a thing because it'd be redundant.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@SOedipus said:

One could say they are very vocal on various forums and user feedback enabled content...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Yeah, they control all the media outside of Fox News and Breitbart.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

No, they have a presence on social media but that's about it. Thankfully they don't make important laws or have any real power.

Sadly the same can't be said about the opposite end of the spectrum at the moment.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

One could say they are very vocal on various forums and user feedback enabled content...

/thread.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

And this would be the media or individuals?

Its important to note that most people in our nation have "left wing" ideals. Its also important to note that those "left wing ideals" should not be "left wing", they are really more centrist, its just we've gone so far to the corporate right, that anything that is not padding CEOs pockets with our tax dollars and unlimited firearm ownership (which is not at all a stance of traditional conservatives) is considered "left".

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus

@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

And one would be right.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

And one would be right.

So basically, they haven't taken over shit.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus

@zaryia said:
@SOedipus said:
@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

And one would be right.

So basically, they haven't taken over shit.

Nothing significant, which I wrote previously.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There is still quite a few of them in college as seen by the latest thing, no stormtroopers at a Star Wars themed party for a class reunion for the Princeton Class of 2012.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

There is still quite a few of them in college as seen by the latest thing, no stormtroopers at a Star Wars themed party for a class reunion for the Princeton Class of 2012.

At my college we had rodeos, tractor pulls, and "biggest pumpkin" competitions, which is pretty white trash wholesome fun. Hell, we were even sponsored by Skoal.

Granted, the rodeos were with horses bred with million-dollar sperm, the tractors designed in a lab sponsored by Lockheed Martin and powered by turbine engines, and the pumpkins were later launched by various forms of home-built artillery by engineers; but whatever we were still rednecks and some were wearing the "Stars and Bars" while doing it.

And this was on the California coastline, plenty of liberals. So I'd say the Yale thing might not be a good representation of the college experience.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

There's a crazy amount of them. I'd say we've reached a point where the radical (regressive) left vastly outnumber the more moderate left. People now think they're "in the middle" by holding 99% liberal views. Then these same people then will vote for a President based purely on their sex, race, and class.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@kod said:
@horgen said:
@SOedipus said:

And this would be the media or individuals?

Its important to note that most people in our nation have "left wing" ideals. Its also important to note that those "left wing ideals" should not be "left wing", they are really more centrist, its just we've gone so far to the corporate right, that anything that is not padding CEOs pockets with our tax dollars and unlimited firearm ownership (which is not at all a stance of traditional conservatives) is considered "left".

Wow. Someone who actually got it right. Yeah, what most people actually want is something in the middle. However it way to common these days as labeling anything and anyone who doesn't share your views to be part of the opposite group., and that there can be only two groups/sides in a discussion/case.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I hate it when these people ruin things for others or companies cave in to their demands. I do believe people are becoming aware of these people and starting to oppose them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@mark1974 said:

... Oh yeah absolutely nothing regressive about a political ideology that is suppose to be about diversity and equality defending and supporting one of the biggest enemies to said ideals out there (Islam).. Seeing a person like Sansour at the front of the women's march almost made me hurl.. This is some one who openly supports and advocates Sharia law, who defends and supports countries like Saudi Arabia.. You know one of many Islamic countries that tortures, mutilates and puts to death people for being gay.. What a freaking brilliant idea, lets condone to out right support a ideology that stands against everything you stand for.. Lets claim to be for equal rights among the sexes but openly support one of the most anti woman ideologies on the planet currently.. Yeah nothing regressive to see here that the side that I original thought was for liberal and secular ideals is embracing and inviting into the region the antithesis to that.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@mark1974 said:

... Oh yeah absolutely nothing regressive about a political ideology that is suppose to be about diversity and equality defending and supporting one of the biggest enemies to said ideals out there (Islam).. Seeing a person like Sansour at the front of the women's march almost made me hurl.. This is some one who openly supports and advocates Sharia law, who defends and supports countries like Saudi Arabia.. You know one of many Islamic countries that tortures, mutilates and puts to death people for being gay.. What a freaking brilliant idea, lets condone to out right support a ideology that stands against everything you stand for.. Lets claim to be for equal rights among the sexes but openly support one of the most anti woman ideologies on the planet currently..

That example of some on the left supporting regressive people and ideologies in the name of cultural acceptance is wrong. But those regressive ideologies are supported on the right. They make no bones about being against gays. Those on the left that would support extreme Muslims in the name of accepting other cultures is misguided. But those extreme right wing Sharia law types have a lot more in common with our right wing politically. Not all Muslims believe in these anti-women or anti-gay ideas though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@mark1974 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@mark1974 said:

... Oh yeah absolutely nothing regressive about a political ideology that is suppose to be about diversity and equality defending and supporting one of the biggest enemies to said ideals out there (Islam).. Seeing a person like Sansour at the front of the women's march almost made me hurl.. This is some one who openly supports and advocates Sharia law, who defends and supports countries like Saudi Arabia.. You know one of many Islamic countries that tortures, mutilates and puts to death people for being gay.. What a freaking brilliant idea, lets condone to out right support a ideology that stands against everything you stand for.. Lets claim to be for equal rights among the sexes but openly support one of the most anti woman ideologies on the planet currently..

That example of some on the left supporting regressive people and ideologies in the name of cultural acceptance is wrong. But those regressive ideologies are supported on the right. They make no bones about being against gays. Those on the left that would support extreme Muslims in the name of accepting other cultures is misguided. But those extreme right wing Sharia law types have a lot more in common with our right wing politically. Not all Muslims believe in these anti-women or anti-gay ideas though.

....... Horse shit.. False equivalency.. You are going to have to bring up some examples in which these extreme Christians bury a gay man to his neck and throw stones at his head til he dies.. You are going to have bring me some examples in which they hang a gay man from a crane with a group chearing on watching as he strangles to death for 30 minutes.. You're going to have to show me where these extreme Christians are putting to death rape victims because they were sodomized by another man against their will..

They... ARE.. NOT.. Even.. REMOTELY the same.. You're right, not all Muslims due, but a vast majority in these countries DO.. So much so that Germany had to make a special refugee camp for gay refugees because the "peaceful" refugees were assaulting the gay refugee's..

You are going to have to bring me very many examples of extremely popular preachers crying out for the death of gays as just.. To some how remotely match the numerous Imams, Clerics, who have openly called for the death of gays.. Or violence against groups like atheists.. Not just in these countries.. Recently one of the biggest Imam's in Great Britian called for violence in Bengaladesh against atheists.. So yes you are regressive you can't realize the fact that a gay person or atheist are infinitely in a better siutation in the worse most conservative place in the US compared to any Islamic nation.

This is how regressive this shit has gotten, I a agnostic atheist, have to defend conservative Christians a group of people that I have always been critical of. Because I have the logic to see the difference between what they do in the west, compared to the kind of shit that goes down in Islamic countries.. The horror refusing a gay couple a wedding cake..

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#25 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@mark1974 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@mark1974 said:

....... Horse shit.. False equivalency.. You are going to have to bring up some examples in which these extreme Christians bury a gay man to his neck and throw stones at his head til he dies.. You are going to have bring me some examples in which they hang a gay man from a crane with a group chearing on watching as he strangles to death for 30 minutes.. You're going to have to show me where these extreme Christians are putting to death rape victims because they were sodomized by another man against their will..

They... ARE.. NOT.. Even.. REMOTELY the same.. You're right, not all Muslims due, but a vast majority in these countries DO.. So much so that Germany had to make a special refugee camp for gay refugees because the "peaceful" refugees were assaulting the gay refugee's..

You are going to have to bring me very many examples of extremely popular preachers crying out for the death of gays as just.. To some how remotely match the numerous Imams, Clerics, who have openly called for the death of gays.. Or violence against groups like atheists.. Not just in these countries.. Recently one of the biggest Imam's in Great Britian called for violence in Bengaladesh against atheists.. So yes you are regressive you can't realize the fact that a gay person or atheist are infinitely in a better siutation in the worse most conservative place in the US compared to any Islamic nation.

Across Africa christians wreak violence in different ways, along with numerous conflicts in the Balkans. However, Christian groups are fighting each other over theological differences. Also, they are not waging a campaign of jihad in which people across Europe are being blown up in cafes. These people have nothing to do with any foreign policy, yet are murdered for living in free societies not bound to any religious affiliation. Furthermore, it is the adherents of Islam, not christianity, who clash with every other religion they share space with. Islam has a problem with every single other religion it comes into contact with. This is unique.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d151f079814

@hillelslovak: Really says alot that we have to go all the way to third world tribal civil war torn African nations to some how make a comparison to the most successful Islamic countries in the world.. The fact of the matter is I am absolutely maddened by the fact that the side that claims to value equal rights with women's rights.. Supposedly supports LGBT rights.. Believes in secular rule.. Is rubbing shoulders, defending, to out right supporting the importation of the absolute antithesis to those ideals.. Meanwhile we had a media shit storm when two Christians refused service to a gay couple for their cake..

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#27 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@hillelslovak: Really says alot that we have to go all the way to third world tribal civil war torn African nations to some how make a comparison to the most successful Islamic countries in the world.. The fact of the matter is I am absolutely maddened by the fact that the side that claims to value equal rights with women's rights.. Supposedly supports LGBT rights.. Believes in secular rule.. Is rubbing shoulders, defending, to out right supporting the importation of the absolute antithesis to those ideals.. Meanwhile we had a media shit storm when two Christians refused service to a gay couple for their cake..

Agreed. When you look at Muslim apology, you hear people like Reza Aslan, when confronted with the fact that liberal values, democratic reform, etc are incompatible with Islam, they inevitably bring up Indonesia. Indonesia is a theocratic shithole in which state run purity squads oppress, beat and torture people for things such as sitting in a car with your girlfriend, listening to western music, etc etc. And that is their BEST EXAMPLE.

The left is in a state of moral confusion. You cannot say you stand for liberal values like free expression and the equality of women whilst aligning yourself with the adherents of a religion that is a negation of these values.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

no

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No lol that is absurd. If this were even remotely true Donald Trump wouldn't have won the election and the GOP wouldn't control over 30 state legislatures and two (soon to be three) branches of government.