Harvard rescinds admission to Parkland survivor Kyle Kashuv over past comments

• 65 results
#1 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/448866-harvard-rescinds-acceptance-to-parkland-survivor-kyle-kashuv-over-past-comments

A survivor of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting said Monday that Harvard University has rescinded his acceptance after recently surfaced screenshots showed him using racial slurs a few months before the 2018 massacre in Parkland, Fla.

Kyle Kashuv, 18, who was admitted to Harvard earlier this year, wrote on Twitter that he had been made aware of “egregious and callous comments” he made when he was 16 years old.

I'm SICK of these liberal communist colleges doing whatever th.......

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16171 posts) -

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I did some stupid shit at 16 that I hope never catches up to me, but then again it wasn't racist or spewing hate against an entire demographic.

#3 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44396 posts) -

Meh, seems like overkill. I don't think it's a good thing to ruin someones future over comments they said when they were a kid.

This is overkill. But then again Harvard is a private school (AFAIK) and like any private company they can serve and turn away whatever paying customers students they want.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I did some stupid shit at 16 that I hope never catches up to me, but then again it wasn't racist or spewing hate against an entire demographic.

Pretty much this. I don't judge anyone by their actions when they were a child. I am a completely different person than I was when I was in high school, and I daresay I am even significantly different than the person I was when I was in college and my 20's.

#4 Posted by N64DD (11990 posts) -

Thought police coming at you!

#5 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@br0kenrabbit said:

@mrbojangles25 said:

Meh, seems like overkill. I don't think it's a good thing to ruin someones future over comments they said when they were a kid.

This is overkill. But then again Harvard is a private school (AFAIK) and like any private company they can serve and turn away whatever paying customers students they want.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Pretty much this. I don't judge anyone by their actions when they were a child. I am a completely different person than I was when I was in high school, and I daresay I am even significantly different than the person I was when I was in college and my 20's.

Well, it's Harvard. They look at all the groups and activities you were in all 4 years of your highschool. It's really tough.

Comming across him using the N word so much only 1.5 years ago is probably a deal breaker. This isn't even all the comments btw. He goes on about a white girl dating blacks or "Nword-Jockies".

#6 Edited by N64DD (11990 posts) -

@zaryia: I'd appreciate it if you didn't post those racist comments. You're college should kick you out.

#7 Posted by sonicare (56837 posts) -

I don't know what the correct answer is. We've all done incredibly stupid things in our lives when we were young. Doesn't excuse it, but it puts things in perspective. I'd like to know now whether this individual stands by those comments or has grown and matured into a better individual.

#8 Posted by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

Banning a student because of private messages... that's kinda scary. It is their right to do so however I feel they should be stripped of all federal funding.

#9 Posted by watercrack445 (1836 posts) -

This guy sounds mentally ill. What in the world is this guy even saying?

#10 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

Banning a student because of private messages... that's kinda scary. It is their right to do so however I feel they should be stripped of all federal funding.

Yes, lets harm USA's already subpar education standards/rankings (thanks red states!) because Harvard didn't accept someone who spammed the N word in multiple and blatant ways.

@sonicare said:

I don't know what the correct answer is. We've all done incredibly stupid things in our lives when we were young. Doesn't excuse it, but it puts things in perspective. I'd like to know now whether this individual stands by those comments or has grown and matured into a better individual.

Well he did it months prior to applying to Harvard. It wasn't that long ago. Not the wisest thing to be spamming the N word on multiple messaging services while you are planning to apply to HARVARD......

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (35866 posts) -
@br0kenrabbit said:

yup. it's a tough one. there's nothing stupider than a teenage boy.

when i was young my friends and i would blatantly harass people on prodigy chat ( yeah, yeah, i'm old ) until they kicked us off and we had a blast doing it. then we'd just grab a new free trial disk and fire up a new session. kids are assholes.

#12 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1950 posts) -

Media hit job. In Harvard's letter to him they specifically mentioned the press reports as the reason why they are rescinding his admission. A kid saying edgy shit on a private message board is not news. The media had no reason to talk about this other than to **** with a kids life.

#13 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16171 posts) -

@n64dd said:

You're college

Oof.

#14 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Media hit job. In Harvard's letter to him they specifically mentioned the press reports as the reason why they are rescinding his admission. A kid saying edgy shit on a private message board is not news. The media had no reason to talk about this other than to **** with a kids life.

Yes but edgy on multiple message boards and even personal texts with the same types of jokes? Calling fellow black athlete students "nword jocks" behind their backs? This wasn't THAT LONG AGO. And it was a mere months before applications started.

Harvard looks at your HS activities and actions. It's not a community college. I'd be surprised even any elite college would accept someone who made such remarks while they were a Junior/Sophomore applying to their college.

By the way the "Kill all Jews" comments he also made would probably cancel his application to most Colleges period.

#15 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@zaryia: You're not really posting relevant points.

That federal funding would be better spent on public schools as opposed to an Ivy league school. Harvard has already become lax in its acceptance. It should be based off academic merits. It should have nothing to do with if the student hurt your feelings.

#16 Edited by MirkoS77 (14467 posts) -

Man, if you’re hoping to go to Harvard, you’d best check yo self from gradeschool homie. Harvard has just as much invested and at stake in the reflection of their alumni on their reputation as the applicants do on their reputation and future.

It’s hard for me to hold to account children for their actions as kids tend to be overly impulsive and not particularly thoughtful to the consequences of their actions and words at that stage in their lives, but nonetheless, that’s not really Harvard’s concern. They’re not beggars, they have plenty of choices from the best of the best. This is no loss to them, is the prudent choice, and is one I’d make if I were them.

A harsh lesson to learn.

#17 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

It should be based off academic merits. It should have nothing to do with if the student hurt your feelings.

That's not how any of this works.

If a college you applied for sees you said you wrote you wanted to kill jews and spammed the Nword you're done.

#18 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@zaryia: It is how it works. Most colleges don't find your post from a private chat. In most cases it is based off of academic merits.

Maybe they should forgive him?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mycentraljersey.com/amp/2016604002

Amazing a professor was able to get away with this and be forgiven. Although if he was talking about a different group of people its doubtful he would have kept his job.

#19 Posted by SOedipus (11580 posts) -

I'm in the middle on this one. I don't feel strongly for or against Harvard's actions. Reading the photos TC posted was shocking, however. I'm surprised the mods haven't removed them yet.

#20 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1950 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Yes but edgy on multiple message boards and even personal texts with the same types of jokes? Calling fellow black athlete students "nword jocks" behind their backs? This wasn't THAT LONG AGO. And it was a mere months before applications started.

Harvard looks at your HS activities and actions. It's not a community college. I'd be surprised even any elite college would accept someone who made such remarks while they were a Junior/Sophomore applying to their college.

By the way the "Kill all Jews" comments he also made would probably cancel his application to most Colleges period.

It's clear targeting. There were plenty of other edgy posts going on in those message boards. Nobody else is having their education ruined, and that still doesn't explain why the media reported on this at all.

At any rate, the idea of combating racism with social/institutional ostracisation is not progressive at all. It's actually how objectivist believe racism should be dealt with.

#21 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

So wait. A high school student is being judged on things he did in high school? I'm sure Harvard had no better applicants to give placement to. There's just a gaping hole on campus where this champion of humanity once filled..

#22 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8706 posts) -

@n64dd said:

Thought police coming at you!

That is the wrong reply to this thread

#23 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10952 posts) -

Booohooo, the kid got caught saying stupid (and racist) things. Harvard can have the pick of the litter every year, why would they waste a spot on this kid knowing this?

I get that kids say stupid things but I'm not about to make a martyr out of some douche. He has other options, his life isn't ruined.

#24 Posted by Serraph105 (34055 posts) -

Perfect example of freedom of speech not meaning the same thing as freedom from consequences. Would anyone feel differently if this kid got fired from his job for the same thing? There's other colleges that I'm sure will take this kid, just like there's other places of work that wouldn't care about this behavior. He's not being denied education, just education from this particular school.

#25 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan: They seem to waste plenty of quality spots actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/harvard-asian-admission.amp.html

Gotta hit that diversity quota... even if it means allowing students to go there that wouldn't actually qualify.

#26 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10952 posts) -

@r-gamer said:

@HoolaHoopMan: They seem to waste plenty of quality spots actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/harvard-asian-admission.amp.html

Then write them a strongly worded email telling them you don't like their admissions criteria. If you want to argue about affirmative action go all out, but it doesn't apply to some douche getting caught with his pants down.

#27 Edited by br0kenrabbit (16171 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

yup. it's a tough one. there's nothing stupider than a teenage boy.

when i was young my friends and i would blatantly harass people on prodigy chat ( yeah, yeah, i'm old ) until they kicked us off and we had a blast doing it. then we'd just grab a new free trial disk and fire up a new session. kids are assholes.

Yeah, well...when I say I did some stupid shit at 16, what I mean to say is lemme check the statute of limitations on that shit first....

#28 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan: I'm actually against affirmative action it's just funny how Harvard was for it but only for certain races.

I also don't feel a kid should spend his life unable to obtain higher education because of a private chat. It's interesting though I suppose you feel he should pay for this for the rest of his life?

#29 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10952 posts) -

@r-gamer said:

@HoolaHoopMan: I'm actually against affirmative action it's just funny how Harvard was for it but only for certain races.

I also don't feel a kid should spend his life unable to obtain higher education because of a private chat. It's an interesting though I suppose you feel he should pay for this for the rest of his life?

The thing is, he will get into a college somewhere else. He won't be denied that. I don't think a dumb kid should be ruined for the rest of his life, but he certainly isn't free from consequences (this being proof of it).

You're just creating strawman arguments now.

#30 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

I also don't feel a kid should spend his life unable to obtain higher education because of a private chat. It's interesting though I suppose you feel he should pay for this for the rest of his life?

You're not going to get into an Elite College after saying all jews should die and that a white girl was dating Nword Jocks and spamming the Nword if said Elite College sees evidence of you saying that stuff. Welcome to Earth. The google community he posted it in wasn't even a private message to 1 person. It was a school group. He spammed this stuff in multiple media.

In fact I'm sure most colleges would decline you if such data was made to light.

The little racist has to deal with his actions.

#31 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@zaryia: So you feel it should be a life sentence? Correct?

#32 Edited by Serraph105 (34055 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

As @HoolaHoopMan said to you, this kid will almost certainly get to go to college if he wants to, just not his preferred college. That's something that happens to people all the time for all sorts of reasons and usually not as easily understandable as this.

#33 Posted by tenaka2 (17227 posts) -

Lol good, guys a racist.

#34 Edited by Kadin_Kai (541 posts) -

Harvard did the right thing. At the age of sixteen, he is mature enough to know what is right and what is wrong. Therefore he should bear the consequences of his actions.

Also, his surviving of a massacre has nothing to do with this.

As for comments above that this has become a life sentence. No. But he created a life sentence for himself by publicising this.

#35 Posted by ronvalencia (28237 posts) -

@zaryia said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/448866-harvard-rescinds-acceptance-to-parkland-survivor-kyle-kashuv-over-past-comments

A survivor of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting said Monday that Harvard University has rescinded his acceptance after recently surfaced screenshots showed him using racial slurs a few months before the 2018 massacre in Parkland, Fla.

Kyle Kashuv, 18, who was admitted to Harvard earlier this year, wrote on Twitter that he had been made aware of “egregious and callous comments” he made when he was 16 years old.

I'm SICK of these liberal communist colleges doing whatever th.......

That's pretty bad. Kyle should criticize ideology NOT people.

#36 Posted by Kadin_Kai (541 posts) -

@Serraph105: This is not a freedom of speech issue, this is inciting racial/ethnic hatred issue.

Why not go to the airport and shout “bomb” repeatedly and then claim freedom of speech.

Or go to the White House and and shout, “Let’s kill Trump”, and see what happens.

Go to the UK and hold up a banner, “kill the Queen”. I am sure you will be arrested immediately.

There is a difference between freedom of speech and the abuse of it.

#37 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

No. Life Sentence =/= Not getting into Elite Colleges for poor behavior.

The only reason this is even being "debated" is because the dude was one of those lame far right nutters who all seem to feel victimized at the moment. Under normal circumstances we would all be saying "yeah, duh" at a kid not getting into his college of choice due to spamming the Nword and saying he wants to kill Jews. HOW is that even a question?!

#38 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -

Unsurprisingly this isn't turning point USA's first foray into racism. It seems many of their prominent members hold similar views.

A short history of Turning Point USA's racism

These incidents of racism just keep happening

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2019/05/10/short-history-turning-point-usas-racism/223677

#39 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@zaryia: Because the leftwing nutjobs do the same thing and become professors. It's an odd double standard.

#40 Posted by comp_atkins (35866 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

@zaryia: Because the leftwing nutjobs do the same thing and become professors. It's an odd double standard.

lol.

no it isn't

#41 Posted by Jacanuk (18898 posts) -

Well, a private university so they are entitled to accept or deny who they want so I have zero problems with them not standing by this kid even if he was only 16 when he said it.

Kids should learn there are consequences and being a kid is no excuse.

#42 Posted by Daredevils2k (2121 posts) -

Well if this kid was trying to get a job at Harvard after 10 years has passed then that is one thing, because people do say or do stupid stuff during high school.

But since it’s only been about a year or so, I’m glad that Harvard rejected his arse, he needs to learn that their are consequences to every stupid thing he has done, which is pretty obvious his parents didn’t Even mention the the term consequences

#43 Posted by Drunk_PI (2828 posts) -

Yeah, a conservative rising star staying racist comments...

What a surprise....

#44 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

More left wing people become professors because more left leaning people are likely to become professors due to their interests. There are multiple studies on this.

#45 Posted by comp_atkins (35866 posts) -
@drunk_pi said:

Yeah, a conservative rising star staying racist comments...

What a surprise....

get him into congress ASAP!

#46 Posted by Chutebox (44747 posts) -

I'm so lucky there was no social media when I was in high school.

#47 Posted by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@zaryia: But they are not punished for racist comments in the same way. So your saying because most of them are leftwing it's ok because they share the same viewpoints?

#48 Posted by Nuck81 (7753 posts) -

Spot the Difference

Republicans:

"Tamir Rice was 12, that's old enough to know better! It is his own damn fault he died! BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!"

Also Republicans:

"Why destroy his Harvard life over racism? Kyle Kashuv was only sixteen! He didn't know it was wrong!"

#49 Posted by N64DD (11990 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

Spot the Difference

Republicans:

"Tamir Rice was 12, that's old enough to know better! It is his own damn fault he died! BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!"

Also Republicans:

"Why destroy his Harvard life over racism? Kyle Kashuv was only sixteen! He didn't know it was wrong!"

You can count to potato!

#50 Posted by Zaryia (9663 posts) -
@r-gamer said:

@zaryia: But they are not punished for racist comments in the same way. So your saying because most of them are leftwing it's ok because they share the same viewpoints?

Please stop acting like this isn't business as usual,

Two years ago, Harvard University revoked admissions offers to 10 students who participated in a highly offensive Facebook group called "Harvard memes for horny bourgeois teens." The group included jokes about abusing children and the Holocaust and insulting remarks about members of various racial and ethnic groups. Harvard's actions set off a debate over whether admissions officers should pay attention to what students write on social media (some do) and make admissions decisions based on what they find (some do).