Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt called a white supremacist for wearing shirt based on Gadsden Flag

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Yahoo!

Last week, Yahoo! composed an article implying that Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt was wearing a white supremacist symbol because he was wearing a shirt based on the Gadsden Flag and featured a few tweets from people calling it so. For those unfamiliar with it, the actual flag is below and dates to the Revolutionary War:

After receiving criticism, Yahoo! made some changes in the article, which can be seen in the link along with a disclaimer stating their original title.

Pratt has already been the target of criticism for other reasons; not too long ago actress Ellen Page criticized him for attending a church that is not LGBTQ friendly:

While Yahoo! made changes to the article, there are plenty of people out there that are still saying that the Gadsden flag is a white supremacist symbol. The symbol was featured in this political attack ad, which featured a presumably racist pickup truck driver with Gadsden Flag plates trying to run over some minority children.

At the same time, people came to Chris Pratt’s defense and ridiculed the criticism, comparing it to Nike pulling their Betsy Ross shoes off the market after Colin Kaepernick called the flag on the shoes racist. The Washington Post wrote an article stating that the criticism just gives the right more ammo against news organizations critical of President Donald Trump and it undermined their criticism of his tweets targeting the “Squad” led by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Thoughts? Was it an overreaction, or do you think the Gadsden Flag is now a white supremacist symbol?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@ad1x2: the dont tread on me flag has always been a flag against big government and tyranny, very common within the libertarian party.

I remember that attack ad against Ed Gilipsie, one of the most race baiting pathetic ads ive ever seen in politics, Ed Gilipsie lost to Ralph Northam in VA for govenor.

The irony is that soon after Ralph Northam won there was a big controversy because a yearbook picture from northams college had him in blackface with a friend in a KKK hood and gown.

Northams nickname in college was coonman.

Hes also caught flak for promoting post birth abortions.

Liberals labeled Gilipsie as a racist, but the joke is on them because Northam was the racist all along and is a stain on thier party. Many liberals in VA felt stupid after everything came out.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I've never seen people refer to the 'Tread on me' thing as white supremacist. I know it as the tea party symbol which resurfaced post Obama. I wouldn't call it racist, but if I saw someone wearing it I'd probably assume they're some dumb Teapublican.

I'm not really up on current events with Pratt. But if he attends an anti-LGBT church go a head an criticize them. Any and all churches that actively promote bigotry to the LGBT crown deserve admonishment.

To answer your question, I don't think it's a white supremacist symbol. I don't know his political views to put it in context. The guy could just be wearing a damn shirt.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I don't think Chris Pratt is a white supremacist. That is just ridiculous.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Of course it was an over-reaction, we live in an era where a bunch of mentalist leftists try to use the media as a platform to spout their nonsense, just the same as the right. And a bunch of virtue signalling attention seekers hop aboard the outrage choo-choo train for some short term gratification.

Grow up, please.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

This is as dumb as the media falling for the Tide Pod Challenge and "okay sign is racist" pranks by 4chan.

I swear, some days, I wonder if Trump isn't a consequence of how braindead our media is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

well he is a patriotic straight white christian male which is everything the modern left hates , and as usual the left shows how "open-minded" and "tolerant" they really are.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

EVERYTHING IS RACIEST!!! That is the new motto for the liberal party and it is just disgusting!

Just look at the black lady at the grocery store that just lied about her raciest situation. Come to find out the guy was Cuban and hates Trump. ROFLMAO! You just can make this up!

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xabiss
@joebones5000 said:

Well, let's be honest - if you're wearing that shirt, you are in all likelihood a a racist, conservative scumbag, as that's all you really ever see wearing stupid shit like that.

Perfect example of a liberal who screams EVERYTHING IS RACIEST! ROFLMAO! Pathetic!

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BaelNergal

@Xabiss said:

Just look at the black lady at the grocery store that just lied about her raciest situation. Come to find out the guy was Cuban and hates Trump. ROFLMAO! You just can make this up!

*sighs, researches*

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/state-rep-says-man-told-her-to-go-back-where-you-came-from-at-grocery-store/968677735

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/20/man-denies-telling-black-lawmaker-go-back-came/39728369/

Verdict: Indeterminate. Need to wait for police to make a determination, based on video.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xabiss
@baelnergal said:
@Xabiss said:

*sighs, researches*

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/state-rep-says-man-told-her-to-go-back-where-you-came-from-at-grocery-store/968677735

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/20/man-denies-telling-black-lawmaker-go-back-came/39728369/

Verdict: Indeterminate. Need to wait for police to make a determination, based on video.

Well, Ms. Smollett is already walking back on her claim. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Even the reporter is speechless. Case closed!

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BaelNergal

@Xabiss said:
@baelnergal said:
@Xabiss said:

*sighs, researches*

Well, Ms. Smollett is already walking back on her claim. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Even the reporter is speechless. Case closed!

*facepalm*

And the racists win another round because of a liberal being a dumbass and getting caught.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

i never saw that flag to be specifically associated with white supremacist.

is it possible that the same types of people who fall into white supremacist thinking are the types that would fly that flag regularly? sure, but i never saw the reverse as being true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@joebones5000 said:

Well, let's be honest - if you're wearing that shirt, you are in all likelihood a a racist, conservative scumbag, as that's all you really ever see wearing stupid shit like that.

???? Not really, dude. Stop trying to ruin this country, you russian mole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Yahoo!

Thoughts? Was it an overreaction, or do you think the Gadsden Flag is now a white supremacist symbol?

This is why I hate american liberals. Seriously, the only shirt that you can wear with an american flag would be of one that is being burned and urinated on while a bunch of ppl circle it and chant "america sucks". Because anything else is redneck and racist.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

Oi haha

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@joebones5000: You have got to be either one of the biggest trolls or dipshits on this site, which is it?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
@iwilson1296 said:

well he is a patriotic straight white christian male which is everything the modern left hates , and as usual the left shows how "open-minded" and "tolerant" they really are.

Absolutely.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I mean, isn't the whole western civilisation a white supremacy symbol? So yeah, I think the shirt can be considered a white supremacy symbol. Just like the USA flag, the Canadian flag, UK flag, the EU flag.

Any white person using the N word. Most hand symbols also used by white people. Most white people themselves, right? Not just everyone who voted for Trump. Not just everyone who is centrist, or worse: leftist but not voting for AOC. (And a third of democrats agree that it's racist to criticise AOC, so those with the wrong opinions are close to white supremacy if not there already.) The very existence of white people lends credence to that ideology, by portraying white skin in public.

Scarlet Johansson is white supremacist. Even what's his name... the Dalai Lama is white supremacist. If you don't have a blue check-mark on Twitter, you are pretty much guaranteed to be white supremacist. So yeah, sure. The members of that political movement have been increasing exponentially the past few years. It's all the rage right now.

Maybe they should throw the shirt in jail and set an example.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@sonicare: American flags on shirts are perfectly acceptable

Example

Nothing wrong with that. All it suggests is that you love the USA. If you threw a political message in there it's less about patriotism and more about political activism and then the shirt becomes about whether people agree with that political position/message, but I doubt you will find many taking issue with the the flag itself.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Damn he loses shape fast when he's off the steroids. Same with Gerard Butler, and tons of others.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zaryia
@vfighter said:

@joebones5000: You have got to be either one of the biggest trolls or dipshits on this site, which is it?

This has got to be one of the most hypocritical posts I've ever seen.

You randomly enter a thread to spam I'm delusional and never post back after I decimate you. Like 20+ times now.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Huh? When did Don't Tread on Me equal White Supremacist. We really need to stop catering to every little offense some feels. I don't care if your feelings are hurt. Grow up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

@zaryia said:

Damn he loses shape fast when he's off the steroids. Same with Gerard Butler, and tons of others.

This happens a lot to people who lose weight or put muscle on rapidly. Look at Tom Hardy, up and down like a yo-yo.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ad1x2: What else can you say then that people who want to be offended will find something to be offended about and people should learn to relax and don´t try to ruin everything because they are too far up their own smugness to see things for what they are.

And no Pratt is not a white supremacist and the flag is from 1775 so that is definitely not racist.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@zaryia said:

They were never in excellent shape to begin with. As in the topless scenes are probably prepped for by dehydrating.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@horgen said:
@zaryia said:

They were never in excellent shape to begin with. As in the topless scenes are probably prepped for by dehydrating.

Or fixed in production with tech. Now everything is changeable with a button click.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VFighter

@zaryia: Well when the shoe fits...

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter

@horgen: He was in amazing shape for Guaridans 1 and 2, getting rid of some water weight isn't going to get a fatty ripped. And he was really fat at one point, just watch the Office, again fatties dont get ripped abs by dehydrating themselves lol.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zaryia
@vfighter said:

@zaryia: Well when the shoe fits...

Extreme diet and lifting regiments for months on end (not exactly hard when you're payed millions to do it), and of course with the special ingredient they leave out in interviews - steroids/PEDs. That's how many Hollywood stars go from complete trash to ripped gods in such an impossibly short amount of time. Especially older ones. Several trainers admitting to this.

Also the same reason as why as soon as the movie is over they go back to looking like slobs like complete slobs like in the OP.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@vfighter said:

@horgen: He was in amazing shape for Guaridans 1 and 2, getting rid of some water weight isn't going to get a fatty ripped. And he was really fat at one point, just watch the Office, again fatties dont get ripped abs by dehydrating themselves lol.

Oh he worked out, I am not arguing that. But to look their best in some of these scenes they are dehydrating themselves. You can do a lot in 6 months time with trainers and drugs, but you can't create a solid base that requires 2 years worth of work in that time.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

Is Metallicas Black album a white supremacist album now?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

Is Metallicas Black album a white supremacist album now?

No, it's still just a horrible album.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@heathen75: True

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter

@zaryia: Oh I know they use all kinds of peds, roids, hgh, test, all kinds of fun stuff. But they still have to work their ass off in the gym or none of the pill popping/injections will do much.