GOP unveils nationwide abortion ban after 15 weeks

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

22142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 22142 Posts

In a shocking move that absolutely no one saw coming, Lindsey Graham has introduced a bill banning abortion nationwide after 15 weeks.

Upending the political debate, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham introduced a nationwide abortion ban Tuesday, sending shockwaves through both parties and igniting fresh debate on a fraught issue weeks before the midterm elections that will determine control of Congress.

Graham’s own Republican Party leaders did not immediately embrace his abortion ban bill, which would prohibit the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy with rare exceptions, and has almost no chance of becoming law in the Democratic-held Congress. Democrats torched it as an alarming signal of where “MAGA” Republicans are headed if they win control of the House and Senate in November.

“America’s got to make some decisions,” Graham said at a news conference at the Capitol.

The South Carolina Republican said that rather than shying away from the Supreme Court’s ruling this summer overturning Roe v. Wade’s nearly 50-year right to abortion access, Republicans are preparing to fight to make a nationwide abortion ban federal law.

“Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, we’re going nowhere,” the senator said while flanked by female advocates from the anti-abortion movement. “We welcome the debate. We welcome the vote in the United States Senate as to what America should look like in 2022.”

Link

Who here supports such a ban?

Update:

Mike Pence comes out in support of such a ban and says the next GOP president will support it as well.

Former Vice President Mike Pence said in a new interview that the next Republican elected to the Oval Office, “whoever that may be,” will support a national abortion ban.

“I welcome any and all efforts to advance the cause of life in state capitals or in the nation’s capital,” Pence said in an interview with RealClearPolitics published Wednesday. “And I have every confidence that the next Republican president, whoever that may be, will stand for the right to life.”

“It is imperative that Republicans and conservatives resolve, here and now, that we will not shrink from the fight,” added Pence, who is seen as a potential 2024 presidential candidate and has been among the GOP’s most outspoken advocates for anti-abortion policies.

At a South Carolina speech in July, he said that the country has the opportunity to become a “more perfect union” with the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

“Standing here in the first days of post-Roe America, we must resolve that we will not rest, we will not relent, until the sanctity of life is restored to the center of American law in every state in the nation,” he added in that speech.

Link

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
br0kenrabbit

17561

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17561 Posts

Wouldn't have to scroll down that far to find threads where the right-wing here on PG swore this wouldn't happen and we were just being alarmists.

Avatar image for girlusocrazy
GirlUSoCrazy

20974

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 20974 Posts

The senator must be mistaken. The GOP wants individual states to decide with no federal mandates.

@br0kenrabbit: I've seen them

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

4762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 4762 Posts

Hate Lindsey graham. I swear he's trying to sabotage maga going into the midterms.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts

This is awesome.

Hopefully Doc Oz wins. Then we can all bone our cousins guilt-free and then won't be able to do anything when we find out our baby are The Hills Have Eyes babies.

@sargentd said:

Hate Lindsey graham. I swear he's trying to sabotage maga going into the midterms.

So we should love Linsey Graham then? So we can sabotage the right?

@br0kenrabbit said:

Wouldn't have to scroll down that far to find threads where the right-wing here on PG swore this wouldn't happen and we were just being alarmists.

Well, as they say, if you give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile.

Avatar image for firedrakes
firedrakes

4041

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4041 Posts

Everyone expected this

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

4762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 4762 Posts

@mrbojangles25: yeah honestly, if you love Democrats and hate MAGA You should love that dumb bitch Lindsay Graham. This move only help stir up Democrats. It has no chance of going anywhere. I truly don't see any reason to pull this move at this time other than he's trying to hurt MAGA candidates going into the midterms.

I believe that dumb bitch Lindsay and his evil grandpa Mitch McConnell hate MAGA and are on the same team as the Neo Libs.

Avatar image for kathaariancode
KathaarianCode

1028

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 1028 Posts

Weird that MAGAs that just a few weeks ago were defending even stricter abortion laws under the pretext of "personal responsibility" now are against it. Is it because it came from outside the cult?

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

8671

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#9 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Lmao, Lindsey Graham.

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

8671

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#10 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@sargentd said:

Hate Lindsey graham. I swear he's trying to sabotage maga going into the midterms.

Of course, he used to be John McCains shadow going wherever he went, doing whatever he did. He has flipflopped on just about every statement he has ever made when it has become more personally beneficial for him to do so. Mitt Romney does the same shit too.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

177193

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 177193 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

Weird that MAGAs that just a few weeks ago were defending even stricter abortion laws under the pretext of "personal responsibility" now are against it. Is it because it came from outside the cult?

Because they are losing votes over it.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
HoolaHoopMan

14724

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Directly contradicting their 'States Rights' motto and setting the stage for a national ban that will slowly be chipped away year after year. This is it folks, this is what the GOP wants (whether they state it outright or not). Just because it's unpalatable to some because of 2022 election implications doesn't mean that these same candidates wouldn't vote for it in an off-election year.

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

2874

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 2874 Posts

More republican big government.

@sargentd said:

Hate Lindsey graham. I swear he's trying to sabotage maga going into the midterms.

MAGA does a good enough job at sabotaging itself.

Avatar image for palasta
palasta

934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 palasta
Member since 2017 • 934 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Who here supports such a ban?

Not you i suppose? Why not? Undemocratic? Oh, i see the rub ... "but we are 'muricans!"

"Adults in the room" ... pf, what a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#National_laws

Avatar image for shellcase86
shellcase86

6364

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6364 Posts
@firedrakes said:

Everyone expected this

Pretty much.

Avatar image for kathaariancode
KathaarianCode

1028

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 1028 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kathaariancode said:

Weird that MAGAs that just a few weeks ago were defending even stricter abortion laws under the pretext of "personal responsibility" now are against it. Is it because it came from outside the cult?

Because they are losing votes over it.

Are you insinuating it was not about personal responsibility after all??

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

22142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 22142 Posts

@palasta said:
@mattbbpl said:

Who here supports such a ban?

Not you i suppose? Why not? Undemocratic? Oh, i see the rub ... "but we are 'muricans!"

"Adults in the room" ... pf, what a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#National_laws

I cannot tell what your argument is from this word salad. Did you have a stroke while typing it?

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

35801

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35801 Posts
@sargentd said:

@mrbojangles25: yeah honestly, if you love Democrats and hate MAGA You should love that dumb bitch Lindsay Graham. This move only help stir up Democrats. It has no chance of going anywhere. I truly don't see any reason to pull this move at this time other than he's trying to hurt MAGA candidates going into the midterms.

I believe that dumb bitch Lindsay and his evil grandpa Mitch McConnell hate MAGA and are on the same team as the Neo Libs.

So, basically, it's what republicans want to see happen, but really ought to know better than to talk about before they have power again. Cool cool cool cool.

Avatar image for firedrakes
firedrakes

4041

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4041 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@sargentd said:

@mrbojangles25: yeah honestly, if you love Democrats and hate MAGA You should love that dumb bitch Lindsay Graham. This move only help stir up Democrats. It has no chance of going anywhere. I truly don't see any reason to pull this move at this time other than he's trying to hurt MAGA candidates going into the midterms.

I believe that dumb bitch Lindsay and his evil grandpa Mitch McConnell hate MAGA and are on the same team as the Neo Libs.

So, basically, it's what republicans want to see happen, but really ought to know better than to talk about before they have power again. Cool cool cool cool.

yep and seems silent super salty atm

Avatar image for joementia
joementia

193

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 joementia
Member since 2022 • 193 Posts

I would not support a ban at 15 weeks. That's a little too early. But things start to get a little sketchy at about 19+ weeks. I'm all for the right to choose, but once you get well into the second trimester, you really should have made that choice.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

4762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 4762 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @firedrakes: this literally has no chance of passing, the majority of the right don't even want a federal 2 week ban. Again it can't get passed anyway. This is definitely bitch ass Lindsay gram and McConnell trying to sabatoge the emerging MAGA canidates going into the midterms. They want them to lose just as much as the DNC does. That is the only logical conclusion of him pulling this move.

Republicans like Lindsey see the writing on the wall, they are loosing thier grip on the Republican party. Just like McConnel coming out and saying the pool of candidates running this November are weak. They are mad they are loosing thier grip on the Republican party. I guarantee that Lindsey and McConnell would much rather have Neo Libs control the house and Senate (because they are more similar to them) than have an emerging populist wing take over their party.

Too bad so sad though. Nobody likes McConnell or that bitch Lindsey. They can't stop it. It's happening.

Avatar image for sargentd
SargentD

4762

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 4762 Posts

@eoten: yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts
@silentchief said:

I'm not really sure why lefties are so upset? Does it take nearly 4 months for the average purple haired cat mom to figure who the dad is? Or do these freaks just get more satisfaction killing something that's more developed? Please explain to me.

Well, in our quest to birth the antichrist, you don't often see signs of him until about six or seven months. Any developing fetus that is not the antichrist needs to be aborted because, as you probably figured out, it's an odds game we are playing here. Every occupied womb that isn't occupied by the antichrist is a wasted opportunity, so we need to abort abort abort!

@sargentd said:

@eoten: yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches

Every time you call Lindsey a bitch you offend bitches everywhere. Have some class, man.

😉

Avatar image for firedrakes
firedrakes

4041

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#25 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4041 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@silentchief said:

I'm not really sure why lefties are so upset? Does it take nearly 4 months for the average purple haired cat mom to figure who the dad is? Or do these freaks just get more satisfaction killing something that's more developed? Please explain to me.

Well, in our quest to birth the antichrist, you don't often see signs of him until about six or seven months. Any developing fetus that is not the antichrist needs to be aborted because, as you probably figured out, it's an odds game we are playing here. Every occupied womb that isn't occupied by the antichrist is a wasted opportunity, so we need to abort abort abort!

@sargentd said:

@eoten: yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches

Every time you call Lindsey a bitch you offend bitches everywhere. Have some class, man.

😉

ok that made me laugh.

Avatar image for silentchief
Silentchief

4557

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 4557 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@silentchief said:

I'm not really sure why lefties are so upset? Does it take nearly 4 months for the average purple haired cat mom to figure who the dad is? Or do these freaks just get more satisfaction killing something that's more developed? Please explain to me.

Well, in our quest to birth the antichrist, you don't often see signs of him until about six or seven months. Any developing fetus that is not the antichrist needs to be aborted because, as you probably figured out, it's an odds game we are playing here. Every occupied womb that isn't occupied by the antichrist is a wasted opportunity, so we need to abort abort abort!

Aww ok.

Avatar image for kathaariancode
KathaarianCode

1028

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#27 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 1028 Posts

@silentchief: Also it's around that time that they're more tasty.

Avatar image for silentchief
Silentchief

4557

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 4557 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

@silentchief: Also it's around that time that they're more tasty.

Hmm thats funny. I just it was a reason for more purple haired cat moms to get angry.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

@silentchief: Also it's around that time that they're more tasty.

Of course. We use every part of the baby. We aren't savages *scoffs*

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

42382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 42382 Posts

This is so odd mainly because GOP leadership knows this is a losing issue to back publicly so they're doing their best to distance themselves from the issue as much as possible. They're scrubbing their campaign websites and social media of any notions they backed resitricting women's reproductive rights. I see all the Twitter comments like "Lindsey Graham used to say it's a states rights issue and now pushing for federal legislation, hypocrite!". Democrats are certainly loving the chance to demonize this publicly on their end.

I'm just scratching my head as to why. We know the GOP is trying to not touch the issue as much as possible, it's a toxic issue for them. There's no way Lindsey Graham's bill has any chance to pass either chambers right now, and no chance to get passed both chambers unless they gain control in midterms, and even then Joe Biden won't sign it, so it's nothing more than political theater.

Lindsey Graham is obviously gone rogue, so I can only speculate as to why. Doing this no doubt appeals to the GOPs most solid base and he can raise money off it, but he's not up for re-election for another few years. Just a shot in the dark, but my guess is he needs money for legal resources to protect him in the Georgia's election meddling investigation and went to Mitch McConnell who told him "no", because right now the Senate is tightening its strings having very early burned through their campaign ad revenue and are having issues keeping up with current Senate campaign ad funding. My guess is Lindsey is doing this to raise his own money, which he would be allowed to turn toward a legal defense later should he need it, at the expense of the party. But really, could be any reason, but definitely he's not on board with the rest of the party, that much is clear.

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

35801

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35801 Posts

@sargentd: "yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches"

Uh, McConnell is the reason Republicans own the courts and overturned roe v wade, but by all means go off.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

22142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 22142 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@sargentd said:

@mrbojangles25: yeah honestly, if you love Democrats and hate MAGA You should love that dumb bitch Lindsay Graham. This move only help stir up Democrats. It has no chance of going anywhere. I truly don't see any reason to pull this move at this time other than he's trying to hurt MAGA candidates going into the midterms.

I believe that dumb bitch Lindsay and his evil grandpa Mitch McConnell hate MAGA and are on the same team as the Neo Libs.

So, basically, it's what republicans want to see happen, but really ought to know better than to talk about before they have power again. Cool cool cool cool.

Yuuuuup:

Mike Pence comes out in support of such a ban and says the next GOP president will support it as well.

Former Vice President Mike Pence said in a new interview that the next Republican elected to the Oval Office, “whoever that may be,” will support a national abortion ban.

“I welcome any and all efforts to advance the cause of life in state capitals or in the nation’s capital,” Pence said in an interview with RealClearPolitics published Wednesday. “And I have every confidence that the next Republican president, whoever that may be, will stand for the right to life.”

“It is imperative that Republicans and conservatives resolve, here and now, that we will not shrink from the fight,” added Pence, who is seen as a potential 2024 presidential candidate and has been among the GOP’s most outspoken advocates for anti-abortion policies.

At a South Carolina speech in July, he said that the country has the opportunity to become a “more perfect union” with the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

“Standing here in the first days of post-Roe America, we must resolve that we will not rest, we will not relent, until the sanctity of life is restored to the center of American law in every state in the nation,” he added in that speech.

Link

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts

@mattbbpl: iirc Mike Pence is part of that Christo-nationalist crowd and any abortions is too many abortions, so that makes sense.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

22142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#34 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 22142 Posts

@mrbojangles25: He is. Serraph can tell you all about him, lol.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts

@sargentd said:

@eoten: yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches

so you really aren't a strict GOP supporter, just Trump? Gotta say man I usually find most people fall into the GOP voter pool and just sort of justify voting for Trump/against Dems.

Kind of interesting to meet someone that isn't like that.

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: He is. Serraph can tell you all about him, lol.

@Serraph105 please, do tell.

I mean, I know he is allegedly one of the dumbest politicians in the system. He isn't as old as his pure-white hair would indicate (which is frightening, because he could run for president over the next 20 years easily). And he is a religious fundamentalist.

Avatar image for Lotus-Edge
Lotus-Edge

50507

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50507 Posts

Seems like a stupid act just for the sake of publicity.

Someone should add an amendment to it for term limits, just to troll him.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
HoolaHoopMan

14724

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Uh, McConnell is the reason Republicans own the courts and overturned roe v wade, but by all means go off.

What I don't understand is that the GOP had that pocket group of Christ-fascists in their corner for half a century. They would have stayed there regardless of overturning Roe v Wade. Now that they've done it, they're losing ground with more middle of the road republicans and swing voters. The dog has caught the proverbial car...but they don't know what to do with it and are looking around watching support dwindle. All democrats need to do is run on abortion rights, gay marriage rights...anything 14th amendment related to be honest, and keep hammering home on it.

Avatar image for palasta
palasta

934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By palasta
Member since 2017 • 934 Posts
@mattbbpl said:
@palasta said:
@mattbbpl said:

Who here supports such a ban?

Not you i suppose? Why not? Undemocratic? Oh, i see the rub ... "but we are 'muricans!"

"Adults in the room" ... pf, what a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#National_laws

I cannot tell what your argument is from this word salad. Did you have a stroke while typing it?

Don't worry. I was just mocking the whole situation.

@mrbojangles25 said:

@mattbbpl: iirc Mike Pence is part of that Christo-nationalist crowd and any abortions is too many abortions, so that makes sense.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I mean, I know he is allegedly one of the dumbest politicians in the system. He isn't as old as his pure-white hair would indicate (which is frightening, because he could run for president over the next 20 years easily). And he is a religious fundamentalist.

Wait, hold on, am i getting this right? 15 weeks compared to abortion laws of other countries...

[Germany - 12 weeks, Spain - 14 weeks, Norway - 12 weeks, Austria - 3 months, Poland - Prohibited, Ukraine - 12 weeks, Denmark - 12 weeks, France - 16 weeks]

...is from this christo-nationalist crowd perspective surprisingly forthcoming. But, for the american progressive it's still not enough and seen as far-right christian fundamentalism? Am i correct in my assumption? It would be a (another) revealing insight... to put it politely.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
comp_atkins

38089

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#39 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38089 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@silentchief said:

I'm not really sure why lefties are so upset? Does it take nearly 4 months for the average purple haired cat mom to figure who the dad is? Or do these freaks just get more satisfaction killing something that's more developed? Please explain to me.

Well, in our quest to birth the antichrist, you don't often see signs of him until about six or seven months. Any developing fetus that is not the antichrist needs to be aborted because, as you probably figured out, it's an odds game we are playing here. Every occupied womb that isn't occupied by the antichrist is a wasted opportunity, so we need to abort abort abort!

roko's basilisk take on the coming anti-christ.

if you're not actively trying to enable his coming, you're standing in his way and will suffer the consequences...

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

54630

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#40  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 54630 Posts

@palasta: to me it is not an issue of time, but of choice. It's never about the fetus, it's about the woman's right to choose. Looking at your watch and going "Well, we just passed the mark. You have to keep your child now" is pretty devastating.

Now if I am being honest, my personal thoughts are that if you haven't figured it out by almost four months into your pregnancy, you are a bit of a dolt. Butmy personal feelings don't really matter, and there are a variety of extenuating circumstances that may or may not exist.

  • Maybe it takes five months for certain genetic disorders to manifest in the fetus, and it would be better to abort the fetus?
  • Maybe abortions are illegal in the woman's home state and all surrounding states, and she is too broke to fly and pay for it out of pocket, and needs to save up for a few months to afford it?
  • Maybe she was expecting a miscarriage based on her doctor's information, and decided to wait it out and it took too long?

Again, I don't know the multitude of reasons; I am not a woman and I don't really care about the very specific medical and personal reasons. I just don't think it is my place to make that choice and/or remove that choice based on some arbitrary timeline.

Going back to the original post and idea: the fact there is a nationwide federal ban being proposed at all is pretty bad given recent trends of state's rights and stuff like that. GOP is supposed to be the party of small government.

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

2874

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#41 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 2874 Posts

Why would we ever allow the state to grant special rights to one life to limit a woman's right to choose what happens to her own body? It's such a fascist position.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
mattbbpl

22142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 22142 Posts
@palasta said:
@mattbbpl said:
@palasta said:
@mattbbpl said:

Who here supports such a ban?

Not you i suppose? Why not? Undemocratic? Oh, i see the rub ... "but we are 'muricans!"

"Adults in the room" ... pf, what a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#National_laws

I cannot tell what your argument is from this word salad. Did you have a stroke while typing it?

Don't worry. I was just mocking the whole situation.

@mrbojangles25 said:

@mattbbpl: iirc Mike Pence is part of that Christo-nationalist crowd and any abortions is too many abortions, so that makes sense.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I mean, I know he is allegedly one of the dumbest politicians in the system. He isn't as old as his pure-white hair would indicate (which is frightening, because he could run for president over the next 20 years easily). And he is a religious fundamentalist.

Wait, hold on, am i getting this right? 15 weeks compared to abortion laws of other countries...

[Germany - 12 weeks, Spain - 14 weeks, Norway - 12 weeks, Austria - 3 months, Poland - Prohibited, Ukraine - 12 weeks, Denmark - 12 weeks, France - 16 weeks]

...is from this christo-nationalist crowd perspective surprisingly forthcoming. But, for the american progressive it's still not enough and seen as far-right christian fundamentalism? Am i correct in my assumption? It would be a (another) revealing insight... to put it politely.

Your argument is that America is too free?

Sounds like something a christo-nationalist would say.

Avatar image for palasta
palasta

934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#43 palasta
Member since 2017 • 934 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@palasta:

  • Maybe it takes five months for certain genetic disorders to manifest in the fetus, and it would be better to abort the fetus?

Graham’s own Republican Party leaders did not immediately embrace his abortion ban bill, which would prohibit the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy with rare exceptions, and has almost no chance of becoming law in the Democratic-held Congress.

I don't know what they concoct in detail, but usually rare exceptions include for example severe birth-defects, rape and incest. Considering 15 weeks limit is well in tune with abortion laws of other 1st world countries, it is almost certain "genetic disorders" are covered by rare exceptions clauses.

  • Maybe abortions are illegal in the woman's home state and all surrounding states, and she is too broke to fly and pay for it out of pocket, and needs to save up for a few months to afford it?

A universal abortion law (15weeks on request). That means the states handle it all the same. It wouldn't be illegal anywhere.

  • Maybe she was expecting a miscarriage based on her doctor's information, and decided to wait it out and it took too long?

What? That's not how miscarriage works. The fetus dies. Why would the woman wait? For preference of an unexpected and very unpleasant experience? This doesn't make any sense! It took too long? What took too long? When a miscarriage happens the baby is d e a d! Or did you mean premature birth? Nahdsntmakesenseeither...

oy vey.. you people..

Going back to the original post and idea: the fact there is a nationwide federal ban being proposedat allis pretty bad given recent trends of state's rights and stuff like that. GOP is supposed to be the party of small government.

Ok, so there is the fear the nemesis is gaining too much power.

Avatar image for zaryia
Zaryia

20188

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 20188 Posts

Not a good idea politically,

Lindsey Graham abortion ban bill splits GOP on midterm message (cnbc.com)

Sen. Graham exposed lie by GOP; states crafting abortion law | The State

Graham's abortion ban stuns Senate GOP - POLITICO

'Bad idea': Republicans pan Lindsey Graham's 15-week abortion ban (nbcnews.com)

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
HoolaHoopMan

14724

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#45 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@zaryia said:

Not a good idea politically,

Lindsey Graham abortion ban bill splits GOP on midterm message (cnbc.com)

Sen. Graham exposed lie by GOP; states crafting abortion law | The State

Graham's abortion ban stuns Senate GOP - POLITICO

'Bad idea': Republicans pan Lindsey Graham's 15-week abortion ban (nbcnews.com)

Depends on what you think their end game is. Sometimes I give them too much credit but I think it could be an excuse to get Congressional republicans on the record of opposing their own abortion ban. They set up the vote and let vulnerable GOP members vote no, intentionally setting it up to fail and be a sacrificial bill. That way they have plausible deniability and can still rally around banning it at the state level still.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

40121

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 40121 Posts

Big shock! Republicans give no damns about state rights...

Avatar image for hansbeej
hansbeej

320

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#47 hansbeej
Member since 2014 • 320 Posts

Hmm, seems like the Democrats could simply quote Graham and use his remarks as one of their points to run on.

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

35801

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#48 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35801 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@sargentd said:

@eoten: yup, Romney, McConnell, Mcain, and that bitch Lindsey. All of them are scum. Throw em out. Uniparty losers, never did shit, establishment leaches

so you really aren't a strict GOP supporter, just Trump? Gotta say man I usually find most people fall into the GOP voter pool and just sort of justify voting for Trump/against Dems.

Kind of interesting to meet someone that isn't like that.

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: He is. Serraph can tell you all about him, lol.

@Serraph105 please, do tell.

I mean, I know he is allegedly one of the dumbest politicians in the system. He isn't as old as his pure-white hair would indicate (which is frightening, because he could run for president over the next 20 years easily). And he is a religious fundamentalist.

I mean, he was my former governor and he was absolutely a piece of shit then with his RFRA that protected private businesses should they choose to discriminately against the lgbtq community, but really Indiana is just a terrible place to live in general if you aren't a rich person. They're constantly allowing companies (utilities in particular) to constantly f*** the general population with higher rates. Hell, they're even among the states who are choosing to tax people for getting student loans cancelled (because they consider it "income"), even though they don't do that for health care bills getting cancelled if they are too poor to pay.

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
PurpleMan5000

10469

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#49 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10469 Posts

I think Lindsay Graham still has presidential delusions and believes he can do well in a republican primary if he is the only candidate actually pushing for a national abortion ban.

Avatar image for Serraph105
Serraph105

35801

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35801 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think Lindsay Graham still has presidential delusions and believes he can do well in a republican primary if he is the only candidate actually pushing for a national abortion ban.

Well, it is what republicans actually want, regardless of their bullshitting about "states rights". Lindsay isn't going to be president though. Not no way, not no how.