General James Mattis is our international savior

#1 Posted by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

Thank God for this brilliant man. He truly is the General Patton of our day. We live in an age with international tension ticking our dooms day clock closer and closer to midnight. At this point I could care less whose President even if it was Daffey Duck, if it meant we'd have him as our Secretary of Defense. He truley is a General who advises the best possible solution in order to prevent all out war. The greatest Generals of all time are those that can prevent all out war and work towards peace even if it means having to engade in decisive battles.

Regardless of what you think of the events leading up to the strikes leading up to the U.S. missle strikes in Syria, this man had to develop a plan in extreme choppy waters. The U.S. was able to meet its moral obligation to detour the use of chemical weapons at the same time not exculating an all out war with Russia. That's a win/win in my book.

Even if you believe the chemical attacks were staged, it's still irrelevant when it's your job is to develop a military response that's already been decided whose responsible. I'm sure WWIII will happen sooner or later, but i'm grateful to this man whose work on making sure it's later rather than sooner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
#2 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

What are you on about? Or just...what are you on? :p

#3 Posted by SUD123456 (5134 posts) -

It is an odd way of putting it, but sure, you have to defend the non-proliferation and chemical weapons treaties to some extent or you risk encouraging all sorts of crazies. And if you can do so without making a mess a much larger problem then that is probably good. Sadly though, it rarely makes a difference on the original mess.

#4 Posted by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

@korvus: I'm the type of nerd whose studied a modest amount of war history. WWI began by a series of events sparked by one simple assassination that concluded with the deaths of millions, although the warhawks in Germany thought the sooner they can go to war with Russia the better because Russia was in the process of modernising its military. Thus, it could be argued Germany was looking for any excuse for it and probably help facilitate the beginning stages. Point is millions could die in an instant in our day and age while history tells us the most unsuspecting events can lead us there.

I'm not on anything atm, just taking a breath of fresh air :D I tend to keep an eye on international affairs involving national security. I'm not worried about dieing in an instant, i'm just worried about the complexies involved in having to survive as well as keeping my family alive in a post apocalyptic world. I'm in a rural area so even if we get plunged in a nuclear winter i'm sure death would be inevitable, but what would happen in the middle i'm sure would be unfortunately painful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b797108c254e (11245 posts) -

@Trinitarian: Sounds about what I was expecting :D

#6 Posted by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

@SUD123456: How longs the war been going on in Syria? Like 7 yrs? That place gives the word mess a bad name. It can't get anymore messy there. If in fact we actually did hit 3 sites which were developing and storing chemical weapons then bravo for U.S., U.K. and France.

However, for the sake of argument, by the collation not targeting the Syria military capabilities to weaken the State overall and thus tipping the balance of power in the region, I'm lead to believe there was no conspiracy at work here and the governments involved in the strike actually did what they claimed. Even if there was a conspiracy it failed at having any significant impact to manipulate the alliance to do any significant damage to the Syrian military.

#7 Posted by bigfootpart2 (919 posts) -

How does launching a few cruise missiles from afar make someone on par with Patton?

#8 Posted by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

@bigfootpart2: Eh, it doesn't but go read his biography to get the bigger picture. However, the fact no ones shooting back right now is a pretty good starting point.

#9 Posted by bigfootpart2 (919 posts) -

I glanced at his biography. I see nothing on par with playing a major role in winning a world war.

#10 Posted by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

@bigfootpart2: Oh, to be a great General you have to come out of a world war? No other wars count? Maybe you should do more than glance, try doing some actual research.

#11 Edited by bigfootpart2 (919 posts) -

Certainly no recent wars. Germany had the best trained, best equipped, most technologically advanced military in the world at the time. Patton took them on and won. Patton played a critical role in North Africa and the Normandy Breakout. Patton stopped the German counter-offensive. Patton was on the front lines with his troops, because unlike modern military leaders, he wasn't some coward who commanded from afar. My grandfather served under him and met him while on the front lines in the Battle of the Bulge. This guy aint no Patton.

#12 Edited by Trinitarian (1408 posts) -

@bigfootpart2: You need to modernize your military education. General Mattis is the best of the best. He may not be thee Patton, but he's is the closest we'll ever get to one in our life. Step away from this d!ck measuring contest and do some serious research on the man.

#13 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1047 posts) -

@Trinitarian: Nuclear weapons changed everything. Big boys like Russia, china, Western Europe, and the US are far less likely to throw down with each other like they once were.

#14 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41843 posts) -

yeah "Mad Dog" Mattis is probably the only person in this administration I have any respect for.

#15 Posted by sonicare (56200 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

yeah "Mad Dog" Mattis is probably the only person in this administration I have any respect for.

I also have respect for one of the white house janitors. Comes to work every day with great attitude.

#16 Edited by mrbojangles25 (41843 posts) -

@korvus said:

he's high on life, man!

@sonicare said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I also have respect for one of the white house janitors. Comes to work every day with great attitude.

and don't forget about the gardener!

#17 Edited by sonicare (56200 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@korvus said:

he's high on life, man!

@sonicare said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

and don't forget about the gardener!

That gardener is straight up dope.

#18 Posted by joebones5000 (1854 posts) -

Lol. Putting the general mattis circle jerk aside, are there people dumb enough to think the chemical attack was staged?

Conservatives are the dumbest people alive. It's ridiculous.

#19 Posted by Shewgenja (20632 posts) -

Why do people tempt fate like this? We are all praying that Israel or Saudi Arabia don't get the bright idea of taking initiative against Syria right now. After this stupid attack, we are that close to world war.