Fun thread, democrats, what republican would you like to replace Trump?

• 60 results
N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Trump is not my first choice either. I think Pence is actually a lot more scary than Trump?

Everybody's first answer is going to be "no republican", but who would you replace Trump with if you could only do Republicans.

They have to be alive too :D

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Its hard for me to say I would have to think about it.

That said I would rather have Pence then Trump for sure.

I think the only one I could say I would like to see is now past away, McCain.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

There's not a chance in hell I'm voting for a Republican in the current state of the party.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Do they have to be current Republicans? Because the only nationally recognized Republicans actually holding office that I find even remotely palatable are John Kasich and Lisa Murkowski, and even then I find their positions on 99% of the issues to be repugnant. It's like they're 0/10's on almost everything, but on one or two select issues they're 8 or 9's. If they don't have to be current office-holders, then hands-down Colin Powell. He'd be my first choice out of any Republican to hold any office, I'd even prefer him to some Democrats (though I like my rep and Senator too much to prefer him over them). But let's face it, literally any Republican would be better suited than Trump to be president, even that Christian jihadist Pence.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TryIt

@n64dd said:

Trump is not my first choice either. I think Pence is actually a lot more scary than Trump?

Everybody's first answer is going to be "no republican", but who would you replace Trump with if you could only do Republicans.

and what is wrong with Pence exactly?

please answer without questions

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N64DD

@theone86 said:

Do they have to be current Republicans? Because the only nationally recognized Republicans actually holding office that I find even remotely palatable are John Kasich and Lisa Murkowski, and even then I find their positions on 99% of the issues to be repugnant. It's like they're 0/10's on almost everything, but on one or two select issues they're 8 or 9's. If they don't have to be current office-holders, then hands-down Colin Powell. He'd be my first choice out of any Republican to hold any office, I'd even prefer him to some Democrats (though I like my rep and Senator too much to prefer him over them). But let's face it, literally any Republican would be better suited than Trump to be president, even that Christian jihadist Pence.

Colin Powell would be a strong choice. I always wanted him to run.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt

@n64dd said:
@theone86 said:

I am curious and ask out of ignorance,

what is wrong with Pence that makes him 'more scary then Trump'?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N64DD

@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@theone86 said:

Probably the whole gay shock therapy thing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TryIt

@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@theone86 said:

Probably the whole gay shock therapy thing.

what do you mean 'probably'?

so dont know for sure the reason to your own statement?

well IF it is 'the whole gay shock thing' which I am a bit surprised you are unsure of as your answer regarding your own comment about your own feelings of fear, I dont think the 'gay shock thing' is remotely even in the same universe as being as scary as Trump. How could it be?

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

McCain was alright. His choice of running mate was horrible, but I thought he was a legitimately good person. He was a strong leader. He suffered greatly for his country. I didn't agree with him on many things, but he wasn't a garbage human like Trump. Also I really did agree with him on campaign finance reform back when that was his big thing.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD

@bigfootpart2 said:

McCain was alright. His choice of running mate was horrible, but I thought he was a legitimately good person. He was a strong leader. He suffered greatly for his country. I didn't agree with him on many things, but he wasn't a garbage human like Trump. Also I really did agree with him on campaign finance reform back when that was his big thing.

Mccain was a democrat in Republican clothing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TryIt

@n64dd said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

Mccain was a democrat in Republican clothing.

which is why we are answering as we are.

generally speaking I think most educated liberals might rather hit their balls with a hammer then vote for ANY republican. So we have to stretch a great deal to have an answer for you.

That said, to drive my earlier point a bit more. I absolutely positively would rather have Pence then Trump, not a seconds thought on that one

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Mattbppl pretty much covered why it's impossible to adequately answer this question. The republican party is basically package with a bomb in it that wants to blow up everything holding the country up so that the richest people can get richer.

The president leading the charge of the republican party is basically just the bow that gets placed on the package. The package still holds a bomb in it regardless of how nice looking that bow is, and it still is going to destroy things the momet you give it power, or in this case, keep destroying things as long as you let it hold on to power.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD

@tryit: you made a very fair point about mccain!

I concede on this one!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Sarah Sanders of course. :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23900 Posts

If I was a US Citzen.

Not only would I have picked John Kasich over Donald Trump.
But I would probably have picked him over Hillary Clinton as well.

There is a lot I dont agree with him on. But at the very least he seemed talented.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

There isn't any current Democrat in the pool that I would like to see replace him, maybe, maybe Joe Biden. I'd give Gary Johnson a shot if it was between him and Biden, and not the mention to follow.

The only person out there that I think would make a good President is John Kasich, that is who I wanted to win in 2016.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N64DD

@Maroxad said:

If I was a US Citzen.

Not only would I have picked John Kasich over Donald Trump.

But I would probably have picked him over Hillary Clinton as well.

There is a lot I dont agree with him on. But at the very least he seemed talented.

No disagreements there.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Anyone who isn't Mike Pence is a good start.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TryIt

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I really do not see that.

he would not be the best choice but by far not as bad as Trump I mean seriously 'gay stuff' is really not as important nationally as many other topics. yeah I feel for them but jesus people we have a lot more important things to worry about

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl

@tryit: Likewise, I fail to see how you fail to see that that's a problem.

But for the sake of argument, let's set it aside. In what ways would a Pence administration be materially different from a Trump administration that would make it desirable?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TryIt

@mattbbpl said:

@tryit: Likewise, I fail to see how you fail to see that that's a problem.

But for the sake of argument, let's set it aside. In what ways would a Pence administration be materially different from a Trump administration that would make it desirable?

'materially'

1. in that it would likely restore our allies to back at least to a neutral set.

2. we might (depending on his connections with Russia) be able to have more of our national security secrets not end up in the hands of Putin.

3. despite what people think, tone and temperament actually has a direct and real effect on people who are inspired by chaos.

Given all the serious things in the world, from war, enviroment, energy, trade and all that mixture I am sorry but gay issues is WAY down on my list of things to be concerned with, more over given that I personally think the goverment should be completely 100% out of any and all marriages or civil unions, that is a relgious matter that has no business in goverment.

I know his is a religious man and I am not but I would still rather have that then Trump.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

The republican party is basically package with a bomb in it that wants to blow up everything holding the country up so that the richest people can get richer.

The president leading the charge of the republican party is basically just the bow that gets placed on the package. The package still holds a bomb in it regardless of how nice looking that bow is, and it still is going to destroy things the momet you give it power, or in this case, keep destroying things as long as you let it hold on to power.

that's a pretty good analogy.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105

@tryit said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

he would not be the best choice but by far not as bad as Trump I mean seriously 'gay stuff' is really not as important nationally as many other topics. yeah I feel for them but jesus people we have a lot more important things to worry about

That's a really low bar dude. Shoot higher.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt

@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

yeah it is a lower bar but I am sorry if the ENTIRE scope of 'reason why Pence is bad' is 'because he doesnt like gays' that too is not remotely good enough for me. Because Trump is a LOT worse for the country then 'doesnt like gays'

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Serraph105

@tryit said:
@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

yeah it is a lower bar but I am sorry if the ENTIRE scope of 'reason why Pence is bad' is 'because he doesnt like gays' that too is not remotely good enough for me. Because Trump is a LOT worse for the country then 'doesnt like gays'

Honestly I think they stand for the exact same things at the end of the day. Both would love to give huge tax cuts for the rich and pay for it with the funds for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Both would love kill unions, decrease education and science, both would love to go to war, etc. Pence is just less obtuse about it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TryIt

@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Honestly I think they stand for the exact same things at the end of the day. Both would love to give huge tax cuts for the rich and pay for it with the funds for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Both would love kill unions, decrease education and science, both would love to go to war, etc. Pence is just less obtuse about it.

well that is also 100% of all conservatives.

I would rather not vote for any of them, just saying I dont understand people on the right who like to say Pence scares them more the Trump. I think they are trolling liberals for 'identity politics' whatever that actually means materially

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@tryit: "well that is also 100% of all conservatives."

That's basically our point. This party is unacceptable, writ large.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TryIt

@mattbbpl said:

fair point, I was just putting it out there given the hypothetical suggested.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Flake might be OK, as would Powell and Mattis. I trust military men for the most part, exception being Oliver North lol but he is a politician in military disguise :P

There were also those two Senators from Alaska and Maine that seemed OK. Murkowski and Collins, iirc.

@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@theone86 said:

Pence is a religious fundamentalist. That alone is scary. He is also smart, young (despite the white hair, he is barely in his 50's), politically connected, and politically ambitious; I don't think you really become VP if you don't want to become President.

Trump is a do-nothing; he might be an asshole, but so far he has not been causing any damage, though the long-term effects remain to be seen.

@mattbbpl said:

Yes, the obvious answer to the question is "none" because they are all unacceptable, and they are all "RINO's" (Republicans In Name Only).

But, if I were forced to choose, I think there are some less extreme versions.

The real question is this: are these people toeing the line to stay in power as long as Trump is in power, or has the GOP legitimately lost all its senses?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

There's not a chance in hell I'm voting for a Republican in the current state of the party.

This. I firmly believe that party needs to die..........

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25 said:

The real question is this: are these people toeing the line to stay in power as long as Trump is in power, or has the GOP legitimately lost all its senses?

I argue that it doesn't matter. A lot of people see Trump and they see a blowhard who is damaging our reputation. While I find that upsetting, I'm more focused on policy, and the policy I see coming out of the Republican party is irredeemable. This is a party that is unconstitutionally suppressing votes across multiple states to stay in power. They are increasing upwards wealth distribution by cutting taxes on the wealthy and earmarking cuts to programs that keep middle and lower class Americans out of poverty. They are quite literally admitting they're destroying the ecosystem for their children and grandchildren but won't do anything about it because it would be an inconvenience for them. Hell, we have users on this board who have casually discussed letting people die from lack of healthcare while talking about drinking $50,000+ bottles of liquor.

This party is irredeemable not because of Trump but regardless of Trump. This party is a sociopathic organization. Not Trump... The party.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Rand Paul.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt

@mrbojangles25 said:

given I have family who are conservatives and I work with people who are I think it 'legitimately lost all its senses' I having Trump as president they feel they can turn it up to 11 now

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

Between all the overt white nationalists and child molesters in the modern GOP, it’s so hard to choose...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By theone86
@mrbojangles25 said:

Flake might be OK, as would Powell and Mattis. I trust military men for the most part, exception being Oliver North lol but he is a politician in military disguise :P

There were also those two Senators from Alaska and Maine that seemed OK. Murkowski and Collins, iirc.

@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@theone86 said:

Pence is a religious fundamentalist. That alone is scary. He is also smart, young (despite the white hair, he is barely in his 50's), politically connected, and politically ambitious; I don't think you really become VP if you don't want to become President.

Trump is a do-nothing; he might be an asshole, but so far he has not been causing any damage, though the long-term effects remain to be seen.

@mattbbpl said:

Yes, the obvious answer to the question is "none" because they are all unacceptable, and they are all "RINO's" (Republicans In Name Only).

The book I'm reading right now is actually kind of digging into that question. Spoiler alert, the answer is basically both.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=how+democracy+dies&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229084193197&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3609883388954412097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021476&hvtargid=kwd-411511191033&ref=pd_sl_223nngialk_e_p37

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I argue that it doesn't matter. A lot of people see Trump and they see a blowhard who is damaging our reputation. While I find that upsetting, I'm more focused on policy, and the policy I see coming out of the Republican party is irredeemable. This is a party that is unconstitutionally suppressing votes across multiple states to stay in power. They are increasing upwards wealth distribution by cutting taxes on the wealthy and earmarking cuts to programs that keep middle and lower class Americans out of poverty. They are quite literally admitting they're destroying the ecosystem for their children and grandchildren but won't do anything about it because it would be an inconvenience for them. Hell, we have users on this board who have casually discussed letting people die from lack of healthcare while talking about drinking $50,000+ bottles of liquor.

This party is irredeemable not because of Trump but regardless of Trump. This party is a sociopathic organization. Not Trump... The party.

Hey, we can't let anything hurt profits, okay?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl

@theone86: What are the offramps the book discussed that allow a country get off that path?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl

@horgen: Naturally. They know who they serve and what they worship. Everyone's in on the gag except their voters.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@n64dd said:

Hmm, in reality, Kasich

For laughs James Woods

And the far out there Arnold, Would be fun to see the Presidenator

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Comey, simply because it would be amusing to see him undue Trump's work. Although everyone's head would explore seeing the entire Republican party disown Trump and rally behind Comey if that were to happen (we all know it would).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Comey, simply because it would be amusing to see him undue Trump's work. Although everyone's head would explore seeing the entire Republican party disown Trump and rally behind Comey if that were to happen (we all know it would).

The thread is about Republicans, not democrats.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Loyal, ignorant, and persistent. Perfect for Trump's voter block. You never fail to impress us, Jac.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

He's Republican. Duh.......

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

He's Republican. Duh.......

Funny, you trying out a new comedy act?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Loyal, ignorant, and persistent. Perfect for Trump's voter block. You never fail to impress us, Jac.

You clearly did not hear his congressional testimony. oh and let´s not forget his urge to people to vote democratic.

So again this thread is about Republicans not democrats

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 theone86
@mattbbpl said:

@theone86: What are the offramps the book discussed that allow a country get off that path?

Haven't gotten that far yet. They have been mentioning gatekeeping and crossing party lines to keep extremist candidates out of office, however both of those options in this case rely upon Republicans. Republican party donors have largely supported Trump and his agenda, and Republican voters are obviously not lining up to vote for a Democrat as a check on Trump.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

It is fun to ponder this as a moderate and to see Democrat responses, but tbh I am more interested in who Republicans would rather see in office. I feel a lot of them have buyer's remorse or have always disliked Trump, but couldn't get the ideal and are too chickenshit to vote third party.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: "I am more interested in who Republicans would rather see in office. I feel a lot of them have buyer's remorse or have always disliked Trump"

But he has historically high support from the Republican party.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 N64DD

@mattbbpl said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Is that referring to me wanting to try out a 50 year Macallan?