Federal judge overturns Cali's high capacity magazine ban.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Link

-

A federal judge in California on Friday ruled against the Golden State’s ban on gun magazines that are able to hold more than 10 rounds.

U.S. District Court Judge Roger T. Benitez said the rule violates the Second Amendment and infringes upon citizens’ rights to defend themselves.

“California’s law prohibiting acquisition and possession of magazines able to hold any more than 10 rounds places a severe restriction on the core right of self-defense of the home such that it amounts to a destruction of the right and is unconstitutional under any level of scrutiny,” he wrote in an 86-page decision.

“California’s ban is far-reaching, absolute, and permanent. The ban on acquisition and possession on magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds, together with the substantial criminal penalties threatening a law-abiding, responsible, citizen who desires such magazines to protect hearth and home, imposes a burden on the constitutional right that this Court judges as severe,” he wrote.

Benitez, a George W. Bush appointee who serves on the bench for the Southern District of California, also wrote that California’s ban unfairly impacts a wide swath of the state’s gun owners, as many choose to use magazines containing over 10 rounds for their defense.

-

CA attorney general will appeal to the 9th circuit where it will likely get reinstated, then the Supreme Court will likely say no-no to the 9th circuit. It will be an interesting turn of events in California.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Don't really care either way to be honest.

'California’s law prohibiting acquisition and possession of magazines able to hold any more than 10 rounds places a severe restriction on the core right of self-defense of the home such that it amounts to a destruction of the right and is unconstitutional under any level of scrutiny,” he wrote in an 86-page decision.'

But seriously, this is hilarious. I can't properly defend my home since my magazine can only hold 10 rounds! lol

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

CA attorney general will appeal to the 9th circuit where it will likely get reinstated, then the Supreme Court will likely say no-no to the 9th circuit. It will be an interesting turn of events in California.

Of course he will as the AG doesn't give a hoot in hell about the 2A and neither does KA for that matter.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

'California’s law prohibiting acquisition and possession of magazines able to hold any more than 10 rounds places a severe restriction on the core right of self-defense of the home such that it amounts to a destruction of the right and is unconstitutional under any level of scrutiny,” he wrote in an 86-page decision.'

But seriously, this is hilarious. I can't properly defend my home since my magazine can only hold 10 rounds! lol

Could have more than one invader or you could just have really poor aim.

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If you need more than 10x 5.56mm rounds to defend your home, you might be living in a warzone.

Plus, a short barrel 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 00-buck shot and slugs will do a better job than any handgun or assault rifle.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

If you need more than 10x 5.56mm rounds to defend your home, you might be living in a warzone.

Plus, a short barrel 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 00-buck shot and slugs will do a better job than any handgun or assault rifle.

Yeah, shotguns have always been best for home defense. SImply the cocking sound of a shotgun will be enough to deter almost any home invader.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxhound_fox

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Yeah, shotguns have always been best for home defense. SImply the cocking sound of a shotgun will be enough to deter almost any home invader.

Then again, there will be a much bigger mess to clean up.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Solaryellow

@foxhound_fox said:

You make it sound as if the ban was only on a "high" capacity magazine for any semi-auto 5.56 firearm.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox

@Solaryellow said:
@foxhound_fox said:

You make it sound as if the ban was only on a "high" capacity magazine for any semi-auto 5.56 firearm.

You read it wrong then, I just chose a random caliber of bullet.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Could have more than one invader or you could just have really poor aim.

I own 3 guns. What do conservatives usually say? Survival of the fittest? Maybe next time this woman could lay some claymores in her yard.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

When the bad guy kicks in my door...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

That's terrible reasoning.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Chutebox said:

Which part on this federal court judge's 86 page decision was terrible reasoning?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Chutebox said:

Which part on this federal court judge's 86 page decision was terrible reasoning?

Referring to the bullet count.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Chutebox: what do you mean?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Chutebox: what do you mean?

"California’s law prohibiting acquisition and possession of magazines able to hold any more than 10 rounds places a severe restriction on the core right of self-defense of the home such that it amounts to a destruction of the right and is unconstitutional under any level of scrutiny,"

Don't agree with that.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan:

I don't know what conservatives say because I'm not a conservative.

AnComs have guns too, ya know?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I've always known guns as a privilege, so I've never been against more gun control, but I think removing guns has major implications that will cause more problems than solve.

Let's say every avid gun collector met half way in a peace treaty, and removed all assault rifle-like weapons from their collections, like my vintage Russian SKS that I got for my Birthday from my Dad, but kept the shotguns and muzzle loaders. I'd honestly accept this deal if government payed me for it and the ammo.

However, what happens if mass murders still continue to happen, what will they do next if removing some guns didn't work? Hell, even if all mass murders stop, do you think these people will stop at assault rifles or high capacity clips? If crime lowers cause of removed guns, they'll want to remove more.

Whether violence goes up or down, they're gonna come after the rest the guns, and once they take that inch it will be a bureaucratic nightmare. It's why I think each state should handle their own gun law, cause you're not gonna need same kind of laws for Texas, Utah or Montana, as you would Maryland, Massachusetts, or Flordia.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow

@saltslasher said:

I've always known guns as a privilege, so I've never been against more gun control, but I think removing guns has major implications that will cause more problems than solve.

In our country the anti 2a's seem to think firearm ownership is indeed a privilege rather than a right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@Solaryellow: I probably own more guns than most on this forum. Semi autos are for bitches. Men use revolvers and bolt action rifles.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

That's good. Seriously. "High-capacity" magazine bans are kind of silly, seeing as how someone can reload a handgun in about one second. All laws like this do are A.) alienate voters, B.) give people false sense of security, and C.) accomplish not a whole lot. Political theatre "blah blah blah we will ban high cap magazines blah blah weapons of criminals blah blah who needs it blah blah".

Maybe we can get some legitimately intelligent and effective gun laws in its place now.

@Nuck81 said:

@Solaryellow: I probably own more guns than most on this forum. Semi autos are for bitches. Men use revolvers and bolt action rifles.

But how will you kill a room full of deer if you have to stop and reload every six shots!?!?!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'm honestly surprised the gun industry doesn't quietly support lower capacity magazines. If people want to buy a certain amount of bullets they would have to actively buy more magazines to get that amount with lower capacities. If the people ask why they can't just add more bullets per mag they can just say it's out of their hands.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Solaryellow

@mrbojangles25 said:

@Nuck81 said:

But how will you kill a room full of deer if you have to stop and reload every six shots!?!?!

That would be quite humorous if it was not so damned facetious.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer:

The second amendment wasn't in the original constitution, it was only included 70 years later, ie after the founding fathers kicked the bucket. The gun nuts who think the 2a is a holy law passed by God are the real idiots.

I don't mind the 2a but I believe that if you shoot or injure someone who is innocent or hasn't harmed you, then you pay out of your wages for the rest of the innocent mans life to make the person comfortable. This would make people think twice before using a gun.

If you can't pay the fine, then the innocent man gets to shoot you back in the same spot to suffer the same.injury. I believe in eye for an eye.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Stevo_the_gamer:

The second amendment wasn't in the original constitution, it was only included 70 years later, ie after the founding fathers kicked the bucket.The gun nuts who think the 2a is a holy law passed by God are the real idiots.

I don't mind the 2a but I believe that if you shoot or injure someone who is innocent or hasn't harmed you, then you pay out of your wages for the rest of the innocent mans life to make the person comfortable. This would make people think twice before using a gun.

If you can't pay the fine, then the innocent man gets to shoot you back in the same spot to suffer the same.injury. I believe in eye for an eye.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Weren't the first ten amendments, including the 2nd amendment, added to the Constitution in 1791, a mere 3 years after the Constitution was officially established??

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1

@mattbbpl:

My mistake, it was added a whole 4 years after the constitution was written. Also, the law was made when the most powerful gun had a capacity of one bullet, and it could be fired 3 times per minute by the most skilled soldier.

If the founders ever even dreamed of a world where a machine gun could fire 500 rounds per minute, I'm pretty sure the second ammendment would not have been added to the constitution. A dumb law without any real thought behind it.

Again, the guns of those times were super weak and hard to use. If they had foresight to imagine what modern weapons could do, don't even think for a second the founding fathers would have added the 2nd ammendment.

NattyDaddy604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By NattyDaddy604
Member since 2019 • 304 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@mattbbpl:

If the founders ever even dreamed of a world where a machine gun could fire 500 rounds per minute, I'm pretty sure the second amendment would not have been added to the constitution. A dumb law without any real thought behind it.

Again, the guns of those times were super weak and hard to use. If they had foresight to imagine what modern weapons could do, don't even think for a second the founding fathers would have added the 2nd amendment.

The founding fathers knew guns were going to evolve to become more efficient, it is why they worded the 2A in that manner. If they wanted limitations on what type of weapons the citizens can own, they would have mentioned it specifically. But they did not. This is because they realized a citizen must be armed to their best capabilities in order to fight a tyranny. It is highly unlikely citizens with severely limited weapons such as muskets, would be capable of fighting off tyrannies equipped with M-16's/M4's. They would not have changed anything about the 2A. If anything, they would have equipped themselves with military style weapons.

Everything else is pure speculation, you have no evidence backing up your claim they would not have supported the 2A if they knew of today's style of weapons.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@nattydaddy604:

The fact it took them 4 years to add it after the original constitution was made just proves the point.

Besides that, it's funny how the 2a defenders are okay with people not being allowed to buy fully automatic guns, or tanks, or even nukes. That's infringement of the 2a, so why are people okay with it?

It's definitely not speculation, just common sense. If the founders ever imagined nukes would be possible, or tanks, or fully automatic weapons, would they still support a citizens right to bear arms? Hell no, the 2a would never been so general if they could have even imagined the world 300 years into the future. A lot of weapons and tech we have now a days would be considered horrendous magic to the people living in the 1700s. We would probably be thought of as gods to them.

And this is the problem with following old text as law. If you take everything literally in a 300 year old book known as the constitution, then what's different between that and a religious nut job following a 2000 year old book. Not much in the end.

The constitution isn't holy, its not sacred. It's just a set of rules that doesn't make sense in the modern age.