Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

NPR

The frontrunner in Brazil's presidential election is recovering from a knife attack at a campaign rally, much to the relief of voters who support his far-right vision for the country.

Jair Bolsonaro, 63, was stabbed in the stomach on Thursday while campaigning in Juiz de Fora, a city in southeast Brazil.

Doctors said he suffered intestinal damage and serious internal bleeding, undergoing a two-hour operation. He was transferred from a local hospital to Albert Einstein Hospital in São Paulo. The candidate is now stable and in "good clinical condition," according to doctors.

Flavio Bolsonaro, a son of his who is running for a seat in the Brazilian senate, tweeted a photo of his father in recovery on Saturday: resting in a chair, wearing a hospital gown and making a "guns up" pose with his hands – reflecting his hardline stance on law and order.

The candidate's son said his father lost so much blood that he almost died. In a video message, the son asked people to gather at Copacabana beach on Sunday. "It's our obligation to show that Brazil is with Bolsonaro," he said.

The presidential candidate himself tweeted Saturday afternoon about corruption and freedom, telling followers, "The moment unites and strengthens us. We are in good hands."

A retired army captain, Bolsonaro is leading in the polls, but he has faced condemnation for remarks that his critics have assailed as racist, homophobic and sexist — such as a comment to a congresswoman in 2003 that she did not deserve to be raped by him. Some observers see his rise as akin to President Trump's – and like Trump, he has called mainstream media "fake news."

At the rally, followers attacked the assailant before police were able to take him into custody. Officers identified him as 40-year-old Adelio Obispo de Oliveira. He reportedly told investigators he was acting on the orders of God.

Both supporters and critics denounced the stabbing and already, Bolsonaro's rivals have pulled back their attacks of him in the media. Some observers have said the attack will extend Bolsonaro's lead as the October elections draw nearer – even if he cannot resume campaigning before polls open.

"This plays straight into his message: the security issues, the violence and the need to address those issues," Monica de Bolle, the director of Latin American Studies at Johns Hopkins University, told The New York Times. "There are still a lot of undecided voters. It might be that a number of them now say 'Bolsonaro is our guy.'"

The coverage of the attack has also increased his presence on national television. Oliver Stuenkel, a professor of international relations in São Paulo, wrote in a tweetthat the assassination attempt "increases his chances to make it into the 2nd round. Frequent updates on his health status will give him visibility on primetime TV. Adversaries won't be able to attack him as easily as before."

Authorities have already banned his biggest rival, former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, from running in the election. He is serving time in prison for corruption but denies wrongdoing.

This is going to give him sympathy in the elections, isn't it? Then again, looking to the UK, I recall another stabbing on a pro-EU politician by someone from someone from the extreme right, and look where the UK is now. *sigh*

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Around the world, there is this rising phenomenon with the elections of right-wing people. Either extreme ring-wing or left-wing, people are choosing one or other. But no center politician.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

And not a **** was given.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

Damn, and I thought a republican candidate body slamming a reporter was bad.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

It is bad.

We can't let stabbings be "the new normal". Don't move the line we measure by. I don't want to wake up one day to a reporter being beaten or a politician getting shoved and we all go "well, at least he was not stabbed" and then shrug it off.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Serraph105 said:

It is bad.

We can't let stabbings be "the new normal". Don't move the line we measure by. I don't want to wake up one day to a reporter being beaten or a politician getting shoved and we all go "well, at least he was not stabbed" and then shrug it off.

Damn right. I was mostly just making a joke.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Serraph105 said:

It is bad.

At least he wasn't shot.

Already way ahead of you ;)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Was the knife okay though?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@mandzilla said:

Was the knife okay though?

i stayed to the end of credits, saw a "no knives were harmed in the making of this stabbing" so I think the knife made it out OK

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Good, I was waiting for this. That's the sort of closure I needed, cheers. ?? Can sleep easy now.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

How far right could you get when Brazil is pretty much split between the super poor and rich?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

While you may disagree with someone's politics and views, wishing violence and death upon them is pretty shitty. Doesn't that make you just as bad as them, if not, most likely worse?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I wonder if Trump is planning any trips to Brazil in the near future?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@sonicare said:

While you may disagree with someone's politics and views, wishing violence and death upon them is pretty shitty. Doesn't that make you just as bad as them, if not, most likely worse?

Is that always the case, or are there times when wishing/instigating violence for political ends justified?

My initial thought was in regards to the Southern Democrat voting block that prevented federal anti-lynching laws for decades, but I'm sure there are other examples out there as well that make the question at least worth asking.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#15 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Just another day in Brazil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@mattbbpl said:
@sonicare said:

Is that always the case, or are there times when wishing/instigating violence for political ends justified?

My initial thought was in regards to the Southern Democrat voting block that prevented federal anti-lynching laws for decades, but I'm sure there are other examples out there as well that make the question at least worth asking.

I dont know, but I always hold this same analogy with the death penalty. I'm sure there are some people that truly deserve it, but I think it demeans a society to put people to death. Life should have value, even for those we dislike.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl

@sonicare said:
@mattbbpl said:
@sonicare said:

I dont know, but I always hold this same analogy with the death penalty. I'm sure there are some people that truly deserve it, but I think it demeans a society to put people to death. Life should have value, even for those we dislike.

I don't see the two situations as analogous. I agree that in all situations the least damaging/violent solution to the injustice should be pursued, but the implication of the death penalty situation is that the bad actor is already neutralized and no longer a threat. The implication that I had in mind (and that you admittedly may not have shared) was that the political system was currently carrying out such injustices.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I'm sad that people like this total moron so much, the guy is just like Trump, doesn't know anything, and trashes workers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@mattbbpl said:
@sonicare said:
@mattbbpl said:
@sonicare said:

I don't see the two situations as analogous. I agree that in all situations the least damaging/violent solution to the injustice should be pursued, but the implication of the death penalty situation is that the bad actor is already neutralized and no longer a threat. The implication that I had in mind (and that you admittedly may not have shared) was that the political system was currently carrying out such injustices.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I was just stating that using violence as a means to attack your political opponents is a terrible strategy. I think it demeans the people that use it and then allows opponents to justify their own violent measures. I have no idea what this brazilian politicians political views are. However, I don't think that he should be killed or assaulted because of them. I don't agree with the use of physical force to push a political agenda.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@sonicare: Yeah, I think we're talking about two distinctly different scenarios.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Its amazing to me...the radical left believes in globalism or death.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Bit fascistic to stab someone for having a different point of view.

@blackhairedhero: the radical left are supposed to want end 'end' to globalisation. They are idiots and believe in Anarchy, which they don't understand at all. Which is a terrible idea as far as I can make out it sounds like tribalism.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoboy16
@blackhairedhero said:

Its amazing to me...the radical left believes in globalism or death.

No! Anyone whose studied economics even the slightest knows globalism has been a benefit to the economy. Kill that and you have an economic hellhole in the making (points to the UK). It's not really a radical left (Antifa, Sinn Fein, Scottish National Party) idea.

@jackamomo said:

Bit fascistic to stab someone for having a different point of view.

Or just radical in general. Like when the IRA tried to assassinate Margaret Thatcher, monster she was. But let's not forget that, again, a far-right anti-EU terrorist stabbed a pro-EU politician to death in the UK and since then, Brexit won. So... yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It's so funny seeing how people just buy into any shit they read online. The radical-left is as anti-globalism as the radical-right. Unless by radical-left people mean " any political thought that is not radical, right or left".

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackhairedhero

@nintendoboy16: lol Britian was fine before they entered the EU. And although they may at have struggles they will be fine once they leave.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

@blackhairedhero: So, more possible violence between Britain and Irish republicans is fine? Brexit violates the Good Friday Agreement, which slowed down combat by a mass amount.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blackhairedhero

@nintendoboy16: You ever been to Ireland? Because I have and I've also talked to a former member of the IRA. Just curious what do you think their views on Brexit are?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16
@blackhairedhero said:

@nintendoboy16: You ever been to Ireland? Because I have and I've also talked to a former member of the IRA. Just curious what do you think their views on Brexit are?

All I can say is that Sinn Fein's (much as I can't stand them and am more thankful Trump canned his visitation plans to the ROI) views on Brexit isn't entirely unfounded. It wouldn't be wrong to assume that both Sinn Fein and the Scottish National Party plan to further push a vote to break NI and Scotland respectively from the UK. And if not that, don't be surprised if splinter IRA units (New IRA, Continuity IRA) get more violent than ever. Several articles are out there expressing concerns of old feuds (eg: The Troubles) reigniting after the Brexit vote.

And no, I've never been to Ireland. But that does not mean I shouldn't talk about their politics when I can study their political situation, have a British family member who lived through that hellish time, and have lived in England for four years.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@nintendoboy16: I went to Ireland last November and talked to a former member of the IRA and asked his views on Brexit. They want Brexit and want Northern Ireland, Ireland and Britain to leave the EU together. It's crazy they are willing to side with Britain over the EU. But they do not want Ireland to turn into London where natural born citizens are now a minority. They feel Ireland will become the new center for refugees and say if that happens shit will hit the fan.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blackhairedhero

@jackamomo: No the radical left loves globalization. The left is all about bigger government and government control. The more people they have unified together the more people they can brainwash.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

@blackhairedhero: Exactly what part of the IRA was this guy you apparently talked to apart of? Because Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA is quite pro-EU and it's usually the unionists with views like that.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blackhairedhero

@nintendoboy16: He may have been and I didn't know all the divisions among them at the time. But even people beyond the IRA are not crazy about what may happen to Ireland if they stay in the EU. They are culturally proud people.