HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Great to see another country say no to far right candidates like La Pen.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/24/1094532512/french-election-macron-le-pen

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

And.........it wasn't even close.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
@SUD123456 said:

And.........it wasn't even close.

After the debate some places started seeing Macron taking a large head to head lead. I'm glad considering how La Pen faired in the first round.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Good. Can't have the lunacy spread.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Not surprising at all.

Macron has a lot of problems. But between an extremist ideologue like Le Pen and a realpolitik moderate. The moderate will win pretty much every time unless the situation is really weird. Multiple party systems tend to result in this.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Not surprising at all.

Macron has a lot of problems. But between an extremist ideologue like Le Pen and a realpolitik moderate. The moderate will win pretty much every time unless the situation is really weird. Multiple party systems tend to result in this.

Le Pen got a lot of help from someone on the right of her on the spectrum.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

Hasn't La Pen done everything just shy of admitting she loves Russian money and would shamelessly sell out the country for them, including dropping EU and NATO support? The fact she even got to 40% of votes is ridiculous.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3738 Posts

I'm glad that right-wing wacko didn't win. These people are nuts and dangerous.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad

The french electoral system is far from perfect still. But glad other parties such as the left wing party being given a chance before the final round.

At least they arent throwing tantrums when their candidate of choice (Melenchon) doesnt win the first round.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@Maroxad said:

The french electoral system is far from perfect still. But glad other parties such as the left wing party being given a chance before the final round.

At least they arent throwing tantrums when their candidate of choice (Melenchon) doesnt win the first round.

Especially considering you can only vote in person on election day, and must present a ID. :)

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

Not surprising at all.

Le Pen got a lot of help from someone on the right of her on the spectrum.

And when she couldn't hide behind Zemmour anymore in the second round she got exposed. I am not shocked macron won by as much as he did. I predicted he would win by about 16 points.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Maroxad said:

Especially considering you can only vote in person on election day, and must present a ID. :)

You just couldn't help yourself, could you? 🤣😉

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#14 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

You just couldn't help yourself, could you? 🤣😉

I was adding important additive information to the system being far from perfect! :D

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I'm all for mandatory voter ID if we have an election system closer to France, Denmark, England, Canada, etc. Better in many ways to make up for any potential downsides of Voter ID. Of course with such vastly superior systems, Republicans here would never win so yeah never going to happen.

U.S. Elections Compare Poorly to Other Democracies, Research Shows | Best Countries | US News

The U.S. has ‘worst elections of any long-established democracy,’ report finds - The Washington Post

Just objectively better.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts
@zaryia said:

I'm all for mandatory voter ID if we have an election system closer to France, Denmark, England, Canada, etc. Better in many ways to make up for any potential downsides of Voter ID. Of course with such vastly superior systems, Republicans here would never win so yeah never going to happen.

U.S. Elections Compare Poorly to Other Democracies, Research Shows | Best Countries | US News

The U.S. has ‘worst elections of any long-established democracy,’ report finds - The Washington Post

Just objectively better.

Same-day voter registration would be nice, as explained in that first article. I didn't even know that could be an option. Maybe we could have registration kiosks at polling stations during elections, I don't know.

I think auto-enrollment would be good, too. If you got a W2 or a address or some other form of verifying who you are and your residency, you're automatically enrolled to vote.

In either case, I'm also OK with mandatory ID if it is easier to vote. Employers could also give people a half-day to go vote, like five hours of paid time off.

For all our romanticizing of the Constitution, we certainly don't seem to pursue its ideals. I didn't realize we ranked so poor relative to other democracies, especially Western ones.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad

I think pretty much everyone would agree that the reason Voter ID laws work here in europe is because of things like same day voter registration (if not automatic).

France has pretty strong democratic values. Naturalized citizens and those who turn 18 are automatically registered to vote. However, you are registered with with your region and must continously update it if you move around. This has caused around 3 million people to become what is called "poorly registered". That is around 5% of the population, so it is no small ammount by any means. And is one of the reasons researchers say that france has such a poor voter turnout compared to neighbouring countries.

Another thing I would love to see would be if France adopted ranked choice, rather than their current model of "rounds". While the current system in france helps remove need for strategic voting, it may not do enough, because in the end, the final round, you still vote for one or the other. Thus some may still feel a need to vote for the most milquetoast to ensure the clownshow doesnt win. Rather than something they actually believe in.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad

Sadly there seems to be a lot of protesting going on now, with people not being happy about how Macron got a lot of votes in the last few moments. There are violent protests and, the police are trying to keep stability. Conspiracy theories and people protesting employing the use of force... I hope this doesnt become a common trend.

In related news. Slovenia voted out its far right lunatic. And the center left, Freedom Movement has won. Today is a good week for freedom.

And in just 2 weeks time, we may just see the current far left party in the Phillipines be voted out as well.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@super600 said:

And when she couldn't hide behind Zemmour anymore in the second round she got exposed. I am not shocked macron won by as much as he did. I predicted he would win by about 16 points.

I don't have much faith in predictions anymore :(

@mrbojangles25 said:
@zaryia said:

Just objectively better.

Same-day voter registration would be nice, as explained in that first article. I didn't even know that could be an option. Maybe we could have registration kiosks at polling stations during elections, I don't know.

I think auto-enrollment would be good, too. If you got a W2 or a address or some other form of verifying who you are and your residency, you're automatically enrolled to vote.

In either case, I'm also OK with mandatory ID if it is easier to vote. Employers could also give people a half-day to go vote, like five hours of paid time off.

For all our romanticizing of the Constitution, we certainly don't seem to pursue its ideals. I didn't realize we ranked so poor relative to other democracies, especially Western ones.

Auto registration once you turn 18. Have a free state ID that can be used for ID when voting. Renewing the state ID can not be reason to fire someone (for taking a few hours off from work). Have it so you book an appointment so you don't need to wait in line for hours.

Maybe that would help.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad

@girlusocrazy said:
@Maroxad said:

Sadly there seems to be a lot of protesting going on now, with people not being happy about how Macron got a lot of votes in the last few moments. There are violent protests and, the police are trying to keep stability. Conspiracy theories and people protesting employing the use of force... I hope this doesnt become a common trend.

This s*** again? It's the new normal now I guess, thanks to crazy politicians insisting on keeping the delusion alive even when faced by loss after loss in the courts and allegations instantly disintegrating under any scrutiny

Authoritarians love watching democratic nations tear themselves down, the doubt being sewn into democratic institutions by their own members on the inside

Loading Video...

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

@horgen said:
@super600 said:

I don't have much faith in predictions anymore :(

@mrbojangles25 said:
@zaryia said:

Just objectively better.

Auto registration once you turn 18. Have a free state ID that can be used for ID when voting. Renewing the state ID can not be reason to fire someone (for taking a few hours off from work). Have it so you book an appointment so you don't need to wait in line for hours.

Maybe that would help.

you know what scary. with what you said?

in s fl you be called a traitor of the right. am not joking.

Piperis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Piperis
Member since 2022 • 12 Posts

@firedrakes: that’s because when it’s easier to vote, and more people vote, Republicans lose. Period. They have a vested interest in making it harder and shrinking the pool of voters as much as possible.