Elizabeth Warren calls for the end of the Electoral College, some states already make moves to disavow it

• 62 results
#51 Posted by JimB (2473 posts) -

@horgen said:
@JimB said:

It will take 3/4 of the states to approve the change to the Electoral College as well as 3/4 of congress and the senate to make the change. Making a change is just wishful thinking. Instead of winning an election some people just want to change the rules.

Are you talking about GOP?

No, The Democrats, the have proposed an number of rule changes to ensure they never lose another election. The latest one is H.R. 1.

#52 Posted by Horgen (120611 posts) -

@JimB said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:

It will take 3/4 of the states to approve the change to the Electoral College as well as 3/4 of congress and the senate to make the change. Making a change is just wishful thinking. Instead of winning an election some people just want to change the rules.

No, The Democrats, the have proposed an number of rule changes to ensure they never lose another election. The latest one is H.R. 1.

Like making voting day a national holy day? What about GOP and their numerous attempts at limiting voting rights to minorities?

#53 Posted by JimB (2473 posts) -

@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:

Like making voting day a national holy day? What about GOP and their numerous attempts at limiting voting rights to minorities?

How by asking for a voter ID? You need an ID form many things. Is that also limiting minorities. Did the GOP stand at the voting booths in black uniforms to intimidate voters as happened in Philadelphia when Obama was president and then directed the DOJ to ignore the incident. The Dems are the ones letting illegals vote and advocating form them to vote. That was how they won the popular vote.

#54 Edited by Horgen (120611 posts) -

@JimB said:

How by asking for a voter ID? You need an ID form many things. Is that also limiting minorities. Did the GOP stand at the voting booths in black uniforms to intimidate voters as happened in Philadelphia when Obama was president and then directed the DOJ to ignore the incident. The Dems are the ones letting illegals vote and advocating form them to vote. That was how they won the popular vote.

Voter ID as a single issue isn't a problem. It's changing which ID are allowed to use when voting. Removing those that are often used by certain minorities. Changing other laws to make it more difficult to for minorities to vote.

Didn't GOP change voting rights for students in New Hampshire last year? Isn't GOP continuously trying to lower voter turnout?

#55 Posted by AJStyles (913 posts) -

I don’t understand why California and New York are worth so much. It is complete BS.

Fix the electoral college. 50 states = 50 votes. That’s it. California shouldn’t be worth 50 or whatever votes by itself out of 500 whatever.

California/New York should not be allowed to dictate the future of the entire country.

#56 Posted by mattbbpl (17222 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

I don’t understand why California and New York are worth so much. It is complete BS.

Fix the electoral college. 50 states = 50 votes. That’s it. California shouldn’t be worth 50 or whatever votes by itself out of 500 whatever.

California/New York should not be allowed to dictate the future of the entire country.

Because that's where so many people live. You're upset that a group of under-represented people have as much power as they do while a group of over-represented people don't have more.

#57 Posted by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

The electoral system is outdated, dating back to the days before the US had the tech to count the popular vote. But now that it has the tech to count the popular vote, that just makes the electoral system redundant and outdated.

#58 Edited by sonicare (56768 posts) -

Elizabeth Warren is also pushing for reparations. Which is ok as long as soley registered democrats pay for them. It's a win for everyone.

#59 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (2959 posts) -

The electoral college was just a way to rig the presidential election in favor of republicans, so WITH it in place, the much less popular repubs benefit, without it, the dems benefit, as there are WAY more people who vote democratic in the general election.

#60 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

I realize we have to be careful of the "tyranny of the majority" which, iirc, is what the EC is all about...but I feel like we are experiencing the opposite of that right now with Trump and the incredibly vocal minority that supports him.

So yeah maybe we revisit the whole idea of having an EC or maybe just get rid of it entirely.

#61 Edited by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

I realize we have to be careful of the "tyranny of the majority" which, iirc, is what the EC is all about...but I feel like we are experiencing the opposite of that right now with Trump and the incredibly vocal minority that supports him.

So yeah maybe we revisit the whole idea of having an EC or maybe just get rid of it entirely.

The danger of a "tyranny of the majority" was that it could lead to the majority trampling the rights of minorities. Except what's happened here with the EC is the opposite, an over-represented minority trampling the rights of minorities.

#62 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36344 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, righties have been predicting civil war even with the current system now. Alex Jones did as recent as last year when he said it would happen 07/04/2018.

I'm a leftist though, mainly because of my economic views.

Alex Jones is a clown but a funny clown.

Yet, like some other self described "leftists" (from YouTubers like Carl "Sargon" Benjamin and Dave Rubin, alongside celebs like Roseanne to politicians like Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte), you seem to support a lot of right-wing talking points.

I take it you think this church is defending democracy in my state by that logic by rejecting what the people actually vote for (like legal medicinal marijuana)?

#63 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19965 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, righties have been predicting civil war even with the current system now. Alex Jones did as recent as last year when he said it would happen 07/04/2018.

I'm a leftist though, mainly because of my economic views.

Alex Jones is a clown but a funny clown.

Yet, like some other self described "leftists" (from YouTubers like Carl "Sargon" Benjamin and Dave Rubin, alongside celebs like Roseanne to politicians like Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte), you seem to support a lot of right-wing talking points.

I take it you think this church is defending democracy in my state by that logic by rejecting what the people actually vote for (like legal medicinal marijuana)?

I don't watch Dave Rubin anymore. He's not exactly the most honest person and think of him more as a career politician with no real views. Sargon is interesting on anti-SJW subjects but not well rounded with political views on economics.

As for the legal medicinal marijuana, I'm all for it. I'm from California and voted for the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes, and I dab concentrates like shatter and wax quite frequently for depression and chronic pain.

I may sound like a typical right-wing troll; because I'll admit, they make the spiciest memes on the internet, but my views don't align with your typical traditional conservative or evangelical christian. Most conservatives make me feel out of place but they do have a point about far left dogma. I am an advocate for free speech, and that includes hate speech coming from both sides.