dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1056 Posts

Not only is it the most unfunny, unoriginal thing concocted but it is dehumanizing and reduces thoroughly intellectual condemnations and critiques of the Trump administration to “orange man bad”.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

The NPC meme is nothing but an excercise in complete lack of self awareness.

Edit: That fad is still a thing?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Nah, there's no line crossed, it's just dumb.

Using a meme to articulate to someone that they use canned or scripted responses rather than thinking for themselves is just about the most ironic thing I can think of. It says more about the person using the meme than who it's directed at.

If someone uses it in a serious manner, immediately write them off as an imbecile with no self awareness and go on your merry way.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Haha, you beat me to it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Maroxad said:

Haha, you beat me to it.

You explained it in much greater detail though.

When I first saw someone accuse someone else of being an NPC (before I even knew of the meme), my first reaction was to facepalm. I could immediately see the complete irony the accusers accusation.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Not sure I know what it is, can anyone elaborate?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: I had to google it.

It’s basically Non-Playable-Characters who just repeat the same lines over and over again....like the liberals do.

They have no personality and are only able to say “racist”, “sexist” etc. No meaningful conversations. They are not human beings.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

We used it a few weeks ago to trigger the Left. It worked, we moved on.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@ajstyles said:

It’s basically Non-Playable-Characters who just repeat the same lines over and over again....like the liberals do.

They have no personality and are only able to say “racist”, “sexist” etc. No meaningful conversations. They are not human beings.

Seems like a lame strawman.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Never heard of that. For some reason I imagine people have weird conversations with Oblivion music playing in the background.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

It’s just super cringe, try hard bullshit from right wingers who are trying to sound more clever than they actually are. It’s still not as retarded as them trying to appropriate what cuck means, but it’s not far off either

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

No idea what it is and to be fair do not care.

Meme´s are Meme´s and the term is being overused to an extreme which just shows a lack of creativity from the far-left and the far-right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

the what

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

@dark_drag765: Stupid meme since the vast majority of normal people won’t understand its connection with role playing games, and worse explaining it to them makes you look like a complete loser.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I thoroughly enjoy it when defenders of the status quo try to pass off their thought as somehow original. It's fourth-level simulacra type shit.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@ajstyles said:

It's ironic, considering you're all spamming the same line in use of that ad-hom insult to deflect from facts.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

@dark_drag765 said:

Not only is it the most unfunny, unoriginal thing concocted but it is dehumanizing and reduces thoroughly intellectual condemnations and critiques of the Trump administration to “orange man bad”.

Dehumanizing. You mean like calling everyone who disagrees with you Deplorable or fascists?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@Damedius said:
@dark_drag765 said:

Dehumanizing. You mean like calling everyone who disagrees with you Deplorable or fascists?

When you present an argument and the right defends against it........sometimes the names are accurate. As for Fascist..........if you read how they come into power and some of their actions prior you can see parallels to this administration. Just because someone has a letter next to their name that you love doesn't mean they are above criticism. I see the country divided between the ends justify the means and those who uphold American ideals. Hint.......the trump supporters are the former and the rest of the country........which doesn't actually need to agree politically.......the latter.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Haven't heard of the meme before, so I googled it. Looks like all the other memes: Horribly drawn and neither clever nor funny. Does it go to far? No, not at all.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Damedius said:
@dark_drag765 said:

When you present an argument and the right defends against it........sometimes the names are accurate. As for Fascist..........if you read how they come into power and some of their actions prior you can see parallels to this administration. Just because someone has a letter next to their name that you love doesn't mean they are above criticism. I see the country divided between the ends justify the means and those who uphold American ideals. Hint.......the trump supporters are the former and the rest of the country........which doesn't actually need to agree politically.......the latter.

That is wonderful exercise in rationalization.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

We used it a few weeks ago to trigger the Left. It worked, we moved on.

that is certifiably the only thing The Right wants to do in life. is just troll others

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
@Baconstrip78 said:

@dark_drag765: Stupid meme since the vast majority of normal people won’t understand its connection with role playing games, and worse explaining it to them makes you look like a complete loser.

you see. umm.. in this videogame i like to.. um. play in my parent's house where i live um. there are these characters, um. that just spout scripted lines over and over and stuff. so um.. i was trying to say um... that teh liberals are like the same way...

because they, um... say the same stuff a lot.

get it?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@tryit: Wrong.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TryIt

@Sevenizz said:

I havent ever seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.

These forums in fact are a good example, when asked directly all a person on the right says is 'The Left is just getting bent out of shape' I have never that I can recall an actual position on policy that you or anyone else on the Right espouses OTHER than if it makes someone else upset.

In short, its very hard based on what people on The Right say to determine what they actually stand for

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@tryit said:
@Sevenizz said:

These forums in fact are a good example, when asked directly all a person on the right says is 'The Left is just getting bent out of shape' I have never that I can recall an actual position on policy that you or anyone else on the Right espouses OTHER than if it makes someone else upset.

In short, its very hard based on what people on The Right say to determine what they actually stand for

You're the biggest troll on these boards and you're on the left...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@Sevenizz said:

or you can address his argument

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 N64DD

@comp_atkins said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@Sevenizz said:

or you can address his argument

I wonder why we gave up doing that...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#28 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Why don't know how is it different from calling someone a sheep or non-woke. It is equally ironic since it invariably comes from people that just repeat whatever narrative is fed to them. But taking it too far? No, not really. It's just funny.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N64DD

@phbz said:

Why don't know how is it different from calling someone a sheep or non-woke. It is equally ironic since it invariably comes from people that just repeat whatever narrative is fed to them. But taking it too far? No, not really. It's just funny.

Taking memes seriously is a dumb idea all around.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

The parallels I see are between the tactics of the brown shirts, soviet secret police in the Cold War and Antifa ‘protestors’.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@dark_drag765:

Dehumanising? What, that thing that the entire radical left do...and this meme takes the p*ss out of that.

What do you want to do? Censor it?

Is this genuinely a thread about getting rid of a dumb meme because it offends?

Really?

REALLY?!

‘Self awareness malfunction, beep boop beep’

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Gotta keep those memes rolling off the assembly line for people who can't hold up their end of a debate. Gives them something to respond with.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TryIt

@mandzilla said:

Gotta keep those memes rolling off the assembly line for people who can't hold up their end of a debate. Gives them something to respond with.

my current favorite non-meme that should be and kinda is a meme

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@tryit: It definitely has potential!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just gotta accept that memes are a part of politics now. For the same reasons political cartoons and political hit pieces are thing. It grabs the attention of ideologues.

You'll see them written in political science textbooks, one day.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Perfect meme for idiots that keep repeating there nonsense over and over again but have no argument.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I think it's kinda funny. There have definitely been little groups behaving that way. (Who by the way love to use hate-speech and insult people time and again using words like pigs, nazi's and incels, or run echo-chambers.) I don't think it goes too far at all in the sense that it is holding up a mirror and done in a tongue in cheek manner. I think in that sense it is elegant. The idea alone that people want to get rid of it instead of understanding it plays into its hand. I'm sure it is also being taken too far. Of course there are also people with legit criticisms and arguments (I think I have those myself) but I doubt they feel offended by something like this, because they would probably not behave like that.

But no I did not take part in it.