Do you think Kim Jong Un is playing Trump?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you think Kim Jong Un is playing Trump? (21 votes)

Yes, he's got something up his sleeve 48%
Maybe, time will tell 29%
No, Trump has officially won 24%

Seriously, I think Kim is playing politics here. What does he truly want? I'm starting to think he's after a South Korea alliance but eventually weaken the South ties to Washington. I believe the Trump/Kim summit will never happen. They simply won't come to the negotiation table, however, Kim will grow closer to the East as he believes this is the best way to counter the U.S.

• 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

His nation is starving, he, as George Costanza would say, has "no hand".

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

His nation is starving, he, as George Costanza would say, has "no hand".

Does it matter to him? He's a dictator after all. I do think of course he wants easing of sanctions, but from China and the South... from the U.S?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

The basic problem with this line of thinking is that North Korea is publicly dismantling it's propaganda machine. That isn't really something you do if you want to remain dictator.

Besides, he and the folks who pull his strings have a lot to gain. With peace the lives of everyone in North Korea is going to improve suddenly and dramatically. If they manages to take credit for that boost, while placing the blame for the current state of things on previous administrations, his people are likely to view him/them as something akin to a saint.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@needhealing said:

Does it matter to him? He's a dictator after all. I do think of course he wants easing of sanctions, but from China and the South... from the U.S?

I watched a documentary a few years ago on North Korea, and the nation is on the brink of revolution.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@needhealing said:

I watched a documentary a few years ago on North Korea, and the nation is on the brink of revolution.

I've heard the same things said about Venezuela, Iran, Turkey... even China, yet here we are. Who knows though, anything can happen I guess.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Wow..the deny is strong in this one...if Kim Jong Un is playing Trump...then he's also playing South Korea & China...lol..that's a very bad move.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

He’s attempting to play South Korea and the US against each other. So far it seems to be working.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Yes.
The North Korea strategy is working brilliantly. They've built up a nuclear arsenal and are now getting basically everything that they've wanted over the past 30 years without having to concede a single thing.

No concessions on basic human rights, economic policy, governmental oppression, terrorizing their own people, etc etc etc. Nothing.

North Korea's goals for the past 30 years have primarily been being treated as a legitimate government, maintaining their own security, lifting sanctions, and continuing on as a dictatorship. North Korea is about to get ALL of that without giving up a single thing overall.

The purpose of NK having nukes was for them to use it as leverage to get everything else that they wanted, and its working.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@mandzilla said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@needhealing said:

I've heard the same things said about Venezuela, Iran, Turkey... even China, yet here we are. Who knows though, anything can happen I guess.

Iran, if nothing else, did at least elect a moderate government. Trump is busy spitting it back into their face but the situation in Iran did at least bear some fruit.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Trump is a scary God man who posts threats on Twitter that makes Kim shake in his boots to the point of making him make peace deals. It is known.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:
@mandzilla said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@needhealing said:

Iran, if nothing else, did at least elect a moderate government. Trump is busy spitting it back into their face but the situation in Iran did at least bear some fruit.

Yeah that's true, at least for now anyway. However if he tears up the Iran nuclear deal, then expect that to be replaced by a hardliner government. And good luck convincing North Korea to agree to their own nuclear deal after seeing the US signing up to one, and then reneging on it. Any assurances would be worthless then.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

If anything, if Kim Jong Un is serious about making a deal, then he is doing it for self-preservation. He's not stupid, he saw what happened to Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi after they were removed from power.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

no I think trump just lied to him and offered a deal we cant honor is all

I know I know, Trump lie? no way

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Nukes seem to be the equalizer against the US. If a country has nukes, the US politicians and government suddenly aren't so keen on spreading democracy. Let's face it, if any of the middle eastern countries that we invaded had nukes and ICBM technology, there would be much more peaceful negotiation. If you want proof, just look at one fact...we have never directly attacked a nuclear power in our history. Even the Russians, who pretty much pulled a modern day Hitler move by annexing a country, were left alone (aside from economic sanctions). On the other hand, Iraq did the same thing in the 90s with kuwait, and we sent over all our freedom forces. The only difference was, no nukes.

The fact is, nukes seem to be the answer and NK won't ever give that up. The Iranians are probably working on getting nukes also.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Needhealing

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Nukes seem to be the equalizer against the US. If a country has nukes, the US politicians and government suddenly aren't so keen on spreading democracy. Let's face it, if any of the middle eastern countries that we invaded had nukes and ICBM technology, there would be much more peaceful negotiation. If you want proof, just look at one fact...we have never directly attacked a nuclear power in our history. Even the Russians, who pretty much pulled a modern day Hitler move by annexing a country, were left alone (aside from economic sanctions). On the other hand, Iraq did the same thing in the 90s with kuwait, and we sent over all our freedom forces. The only difference was, no nukes.

The fact is, nukes seem to be the answer and NK won't ever give that up. The Iranians are probably working on getting nukes also.

I think Kim would be stupid to give up Nukes, I agree with you. That's the reason he's remained in power. Now that he gives up on them, what comes next for him? People are going to want change. He'll slowly lose power and I doubt his regime will last in his lifetime. OF course this is good, but i'm wondering what is his line of thinking at this point.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@needhealing said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I think Kim would be stupid to give up Nukes, I agree with you. That's the reason he's remained in power. Now that he gives up on them, what comes next for him? People are going to want change. He'll slowly lose power and I doubt his regime will last in his lifetime. OF course this is good, but i'm wondering what is his line of thinking at this point.

also when calculating what all this might mean people need to consider the fact that its EXTREEMLY unlikely that Trump to him.

so the question is what.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

No, I don't think he wants a repeat of the Korean war where we firebombed about 6+ North Korean cities from existence. If North Korea attacked us, we would wipe them from the face of the Earth and I think it was a mix of fear and pressure from China.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Needhealing

Kim is meeting first with China, in a surprise move

Lol, I love the drama. Honestly, I think he's going to troll Trump.