Do you think college athletes should get paid?

Avatar image for sonicare
#1 Posted by sonicare (56757 posts) -

I think they should

I used to have mixed feelings, but if you generate billions of dollars in revenue annually, you should partake in the fruits of your labor. Yes, I know they get free scholarships, but that's a drop in the bucket in terms of what they make for the school.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#2 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

They do. They get a free ride through college.

Avatar image for npiet1
#3 Posted by npiet1 (2308 posts) -

A free college seems like a decent payment.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
#4 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

Most universities should probably scrap their athletics programs, to be frank.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#5 Posted by Serraph105 (33834 posts) -

I think everyone who's not already super rich should be getting paid more than they do in all honesty, and yes, that extends to people who help generate millions or even billions of dollars.

Avatar image for plageus900
#6 Posted by plageus900 (2703 posts) -

I'm with @mattbbpl. I'm not sure why there is such a focus on athletics in college. My wife was telling me that her coaches tried to pressure her to switch her major from chemistry to something like english so she could focus more on her training.

Avatar image for vfighter
#7 Posted by VFighter (4992 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: I never realized every single college athlete got a free ride through school.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#8 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19962 posts) -

They sort of do already with getting their college paid for.

Avatar image for horgen
#9 Posted by Horgen (120580 posts) -

A free ride through college doesn’t bring food on the table.

Avatar image for Treflis
#10 Posted by Treflis (13644 posts) -

Considering the vast majority of them will not have a future in the professional leagues upon graduation, their focus when in college is more on training and matches rather then the academics and that College sports in the US provide such huge revenue. Then yes, I'd say they ought to be financially compensated for their contribution.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#11 Posted by Master_Live (19551 posts) -

Those that bring in revenue, yes.

Avatar image for Vaasman
#12 Posted by Vaasman (13712 posts) -

If they are getting free or reduced tuition that should be enough. Most athletes are ridiculously overpaid anyway, no need to further that standard.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#13 Posted by robert_sparkes (3069 posts) -

I think there should be a set amount that each player should receive. Like an apprenticeship type salary. I'm from the uk so it's completely different over here.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#14 Edited by Master_Live (19551 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

If they are getting free or reduced tuition that should be enough. Most athletes are ridiculously overpaid anyway, no need to further that standard.

Professional athletes, speaking of those in the NFL, MLB, NBA etc., at part of an industry that bring in enormous revenue and they are collectively bargain the rules that allow for their generous pay. Nothing wrong with that.

Avatar image for n64dd
#15 Posted by N64DD (11913 posts) -

Free ride to college. These aren’t jobs.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#16 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44043 posts) -

No, and I think their athletic careers should be shortened to two seasons or one total year of contribution.

Way too much emphasis put on college sports, it's frankly atrocious imo.

@mattbbpl said:

Most universities should probably scrap their athletics programs, to be frank.

Yup.

@n64dd said:

Free ride to college. These aren’t jobs.

Right, but at the same time they are often asked to give up that college experience. So is it really a free ride? They take special classes, are given tutors, are allowed to make their own schedules...often time these athletes are recruited not because of their test scores and academic achievements, but simply because of their physical ability.

They aren't exposed to new ideas, they don't hang out with anyone but their teammates, and so on. It's basically high school 2.0 for many college athletes.

The focus should be on education.

Avatar image for Nuck81
#17 Posted by Nuck81 (7635 posts) -

@horgen: no but booster giving them cash under the table does.

Avatar image for Baconstrip78
#18 Edited by Baconstrip78 (1380 posts) -

4 and 5 star college recruits that are spending 1-2 seasons at a college only to become eligible for their pro league absolutely should get paid. What is Zion Williamson or Ja Morant going to do with a 4-year college degree? College degrees are for people that don’t already have a multi-million dollar skill.

Zion’s first shoe contract alone will be worth more than the entire collective lifetime earnings of everyone currently posting on this forum put together. His rookie 4-year deal will be upwards of 50 million dollars and the one after that will pay around 30-35 million a year.

And he risked all of that to play for Duke for 1 year, generating millions of dollars for their school, for not 1 nickel in salary. The head coach for a division 1 school is a multimillionaire. But the players who actually put butts in the seats lose their elligibility if they allow an alumni to buy them dinner or a pair of shoes. The entire system is absurd and corrupt.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#19 Edited by Master_Live (19551 posts) -

The NBA can't get rid of the 1 and done rule fast enough.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
#20 Posted by Solaryellow (4930 posts) -

College athletes do get paid and compensated.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
#21 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

I would push for colleges to do away with athletic programs that are essentially businesses. Get rid of rules that require people to play in college, it only fuels this small industrial 'farm' league for the NBA and NFL.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I would push for colleges to do away with athletic programs that are essentially businesses. Get rid of rules that require people to play in college, it only fuels this small industrial 'farm' league for the NBA and NFL.

Would that not raise tuition for everyone?

Avatar image for mattbbpl
#23 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: Most athletics programs are money pits. Outside of a handful of high profile programs, getting rid of them would lower costs.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
#24 Posted by Solaryellow (4930 posts) -

Assuming a portion of athletic revenue goes towards general tuition, yes. Considering the top performing NCAA D1 programs (Alabama, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Auburn, etc.., ) require a lot of $$$$ to operate their fb/bb programs I'd be very interested to see how much of the revenue is funneled to the price for the average kid trying to get a degree.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
#25 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I would push for colleges to do away with athletic programs that are essentially businesses. Get rid of rules that require people to play in college, it only fuels this small industrial 'farm' league for the NBA and NFL.

Would that not raise tuition for everyone?

No, most programs do not bring in profits (in the traditional sense) from my understanding.

Avatar image for Baconstrip78
#26 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1380 posts) -

@mattbbpl: As with most things, it’s not that simple. Most of the studies that call for elimination of athletic programs are doing so based purely on ticket sales. But what universities that run these programs already know is that alumni donations which are the lifeblood of university funding are largely tied to the excitement that successful sports teams generate.

Avatar image for SOedipus
#27 Posted by SOedipus (11509 posts) -

No.

Avatar image for mattbbpl
#28 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@Baconstrip78: I'd be interested to read some studies indicating as such.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#29 Edited by comp_atkins (35728 posts) -

not for their playing in NCAA sports. like many have said. their free education is their compensation. if they want to turn pro to make money, they can quit school.

however, if their name and likeness is used in things like video games, endorsements, etc... outside of school, they should be allowed to receivecompensation IMO

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#30 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@sonicare said:

I think they should

I used to have mixed feelings, but if you generate billions of dollars in revenue annually, you should partake in the fruits of your labor. Yes, I know they get free scholarships, but that's a drop in the bucket in terms of what they make for the school.

Get paid beyond their "free ride through college?"

Well watch this and tell me that their "free ride" is enough and that in an industry that earns billions these athletes shouldn´t have some kind of compensation. Because the way it is now is insane and when someone can lose their scholarship for receiving a free dinner from their coach on the way home to bury their parent, then clearly something is messed up.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for horgen
#31 Posted by Horgen (120580 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@sonicare said:

I think they should

I used to have mixed feelings, but if you generate billions of dollars in revenue annually, you should partake in the fruits of your labor. Yes, I know they get free scholarships, but that's a drop in the bucket in terms of what they make for the school.

Get paid beyond their "free ride through college?"

Well watch this and tell me that their "free ride" is enough and that in an industry that earns billions these athletes shouldn´t have some kind of compensation. Because the way it is now is insane and when someone can lose their scholarship for receiving a free dinner from their coach on the way home to bury their parent, then clearly something is messed up.

Loading Video...

You two are agreeing.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#32 Posted by shellcase86 (4427 posts) -

Yes. The free schooling isn't always a fair/equitable trade.

If they're part of a team that generates a considerable amount of revenue, they should get a cut, especially parts of ticket and merchandise sales.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#33 Posted by comp_atkins (35728 posts) -
@shellcase86 said:

Yes. The free schooling isn't always a fair/equitable trade.

If they're part of a team that generates a considerable amount of revenue, they should get a cut, especially parts of ticket and merchandise sales.

so you've already conceded that they are paid ( free schooling for ball throwing )

Avatar image for Serraph105
#34 Posted by Serraph105 (33834 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

Most universities should probably scrap their athletics programs, to be frank.

Probably never going to happen. I'd say that as long as they're acting like for-profit industries then they shouldn't be trying to have things both ways and be forced to do what they don't seem to want to do, pay their stars like they are employees. Maybe they'll start looking into doing things differently in that case, or perhaps they will simply do it and better reflect what they actually are.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#35 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@horgen said:

You two are agreeing.

Ya, sometimes we do agree

On obvious injustices like this, how can you disagree?

Avatar image for horgen
#36 Posted by Horgen (120580 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

You two are agreeing.

Ya, sometimes we do agree

On obvious injustices like this, how can you disagree?

It was like reading someone disagreeing with it each other but they are actually agreeing. Kinda weird imo :P

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#37 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

You two are agreeing.

Ya, sometimes we do agree

On obvious injustices like this, how can you disagree?

It was like reading someone disagreeing with it each other but they are actually agreeing. Kinda weird imo :P

hehe ok

But nah i am for college athletes being paid especially considering that their college education is worthless and filled with a course like Swahili and they end up not even being able to speak one word because it´s all coaster-classes.

And before someone says "but they can just take proper classes" They could but their scholarship would be on the line since their goal is not a proper education but to be drafted for NFL/NHL etc.... and make it big which requires 100% focus on the sport and not on classes.

Avatar image for horgen
#38 Posted by Horgen (120580 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

hehe ok

But nah i am for college athletes being paid especially considering that their college education is worthless and filled with a course like Swahili and they end up not even being able to speak one word because it´s all coaster-classes.

And before someone says "but they can just take proper classes" They could but their scholarship would be on the line since their goal is not a proper education but to be drafted for NFL/NHL etc.... and make it big which requires 100% focus on the sport and not on classes.

That's sad really. For many /most it is just wasting the years at college. Most don't get to NFL/NHL if I remember right.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#39 Edited by pyro1245 (5049 posts) -

Yeah they should get paid a paltry sum, barely enough to eat. Like all student employees at a university.

I taught the FORTRAN class labs at my university and was paid $10/hr. $12/hr when I was put in charge of the whole thing. Oh yeah and my hours were limited to 25/wk.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#40 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

hehe ok

But nah i am for college athletes being paid especially considering that their college education is worthless and filled with a course like Swahili and they end up not even being able to speak one word because it´s all coaster-classes.

And before someone says "but they can just take proper classes" They could but their scholarship would be on the line since their goal is not a proper education but to be drafted for NFL/NHL etc.... and make it big which requires 100% focus on the sport and not on classes.

That's sad really. For many /most it is just wasting the years at college. Most don't get to NFL/NHL if I remember right.

Yes, it´s very sad and you are correct it´s a fraction who make it big and who end up with a multi-million dollar contract with the big leagues.

The rest will either drop out completely and end up working low-end jobs because they got zero actual useable education and some will go on and play in the minors for scraps.

Which makes it kinda crazy to think that we are talking about college sports which are a multi-billion dollar industry and we have teams like Texas A&M who avg. earnings are over 140million pr year, which all goes to anyone but the team players who made that happen.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#41 Edited by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@horgen said:

That's sad really. For many /most it is just wasting the years at college. Most don't get to NFL/NHL if I remember right.

NBA. NHL doesn't really require college. Those that go that route generally are educated though.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#42 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (7200 posts) -

A college education is more than $100k in many of these schools. These athletes get a full scholarship paid for. The best players barely stay even one year before they sign up for draft. Those players can't be compared to the average college athletes.

I do think that all food and hotel stays should be fully paid for by the schools. On top of that, they should be provided a vehicle and gas allowance. A phone also

Avatar image for tocool340
#43 Edited by tocool340 (21371 posts) -

IMO, yes. Revenue alone from them participating in televised games would make up more than enough for their tuition. And considering the amount of time spent keeping themselves in shape and the risk they take every time they step out on the field/court (possibility of sustaining a injury like Kevin Ware as an example) leaves me to think that, yeah they should at least get some type of compensation. No, I don't think they should get NBA-tier amount of money, but at least some percentage from the profit of each game they play....