FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1106256047/why-democrats-are-paying-for-ads-supporting-republican-primary-candidates

This will be a huge backfire on them

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23009 Posts

Yeah, that's not wise. People trying to be too smart for their own good.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3350 Posts

I think it's "wise" but it's also an example of really rotten politics.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

@mattbbpl said:

Yeah, that's not wise. People trying to be too smart for their own good.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/28/democrats-big-bets-on-gop-primaries-come-due-what-to-watch-in-tuesdays-elections-00042738

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man

@kathaariancode said:

I think it's "wise" but it's also an example of really rotten politics.

Clinton's War room did it back in 2016, boy did that backfire them hard

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3723 Posts

Good. smart move. You want to run against extremist crazies. Republicans do the same. They even switch parties to vote in Democratic primaries. This is nothing new.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FireEmblem_Man

@tjandmia said:

Good. smart move. You want to run against extremist crazies. Republicans do the same. They even switch parties to vote in Democratic primaries. This is nothing new.

Did it work in 2016? Nope, it did not

joementia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joementia
Member since 2022 • 193 Posts

Given the ever increasing polarization of this country, I think it's a stupid idea to promote extreme right wing candidates. No one thought Trump would win in 2016 and we were stuck with an awful president for 4 years.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KathaarianCode

@FireEmblem_Man: Trump did manage to be the first(?) president to lose reelection, along with house and senate. There's some evidence that the Trump route poisons the republican waters enough to give Dems the edge. Trumpism is no longer an unknown and many swing voters shown they don't care for it.

Might not work but I can see the logic behind it, but it's really rotten of the Dems to do it. Literally feeding a cancer.

And it absolutely can backfire of course, the more extremist is a voter base the more motivated they are to vote and Democrats through Biden fail to seduce the far left the same way Republicans through Trump does the far right. But there's nothing they can do about it, all they have left is to fight for the centre, center right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

It's funny I've been saying Democrats need to play dirty but then I read this and I'm like "eehhhhhh, nah. Stick to the high road". Relatively speaking.

@joementia said:

Given the ever increasing polarization of this country, I think it's a stupid idea to promote extreme right wing candidates. No one thought Trump would win in 2016 and we were stuck with an awful president for 4 years.

Yup. We all laughed at Trump but then the GOP candidates kept falling one by one until he was left, then he won.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, right?

joementia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joementia
Member since 2022 • 193 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's funny I've been saying Democrats need to play dirty but then I read this and I'm like "eehhhhhh, nah. Stick to the high road". Relatively speaking.

@joementia said:

Yup. We all laughed at Trump but then the GOP candidates kept falling one by one until he was left, then he won.

Yeah, my opinion on things has changed over these last 4 years. I used to think that somethings were impossible or incredibly unlikely, but it's amazing what people will tolerate or even support. I always thought this talk of democracy failing was hyperbole, but now I'm truly concerned that we're heading down a treacherous path. Unfortuantely, this primary system seems to generate unlikeable candidates and far more extreme candidates that continue to pull this country in separate directions.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
@joementia said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@joementia said:

Yeah, my opinion on things has changed over these last 4 years. I used to think that somethings were impossible or incredibly unlikely, but it's amazing what people will tolerate or even support. I always thought this talk of democracy failing was hyperbole, but now I'm truly concerned that we're heading down a treacherous path. Unfortuantely, this primary system seems to generate unlikeable candidates and far more extreme candidates that continue to pull this country in separate directions.

Oh yeah, it is definitely failing. And not just in the US, around the world as well.

If there was ever a time to let our ideals shine through, and to suppress our pessimism, I feel it is during our elections. It's the one time we get to say "Hey, let's find someone that's going to get shit done!"

Save the pessimism for the rest of your life. I know some people are reading that an laughing but still...we should vote with optimism, we should vote for things and not against them.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4342 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@joementia said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@joementia said:

Oh yeah, it is definitely failing. And not just in the US, around the world as well.

If there was ever a time to let our ideals shine through, and to suppress our pessimism, I feel it is during our elections. It's the one time we get to say "Hey, let's find someone that's going to get shit done!"

Save the pessimism for the rest of your life. I know some people are reading that an laughing but still...we should vote with optimism, we should vote for things and not against them.

i watch a doc on pbs. about fascism. it was a excellent doc.

end of the doc. the person ask all the people that has study it etc.

how do we defend against it.

everyone of them said education. (i mean quality not bias type).

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7975 Posts

I'm all for it lol America First candidates are taking over and the Democrats are helping fund it.

They are delusional. The average person will take America First over the current failing Democrats. Democrats will be asking lefties for $20 donations and they will take it and prop up America First/MAGA. Hahahahhaha

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

@sargentd: lmao...I found this funny too. But I appreciate the dirty plays. All this time I thought dems were soft. But this is a double edge sword lol

As for candidates, sadly the country doesn't have any real moderates to lead it. I think a common sense independent who aligns with my ideals politically would be more popular with every one. Sadly, all you get nowadays are crazies on both sides.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25

@firedrakes: Pretty much. It all comes down to education.

Just teaching kids critical thinking. These are really basic things. You have to wonder if American education (at the K-12 level) is kept in such a terrible state on purpose.

Cut the military budget by 10%, give it all to education. Problem solved.

Perfect example of education vs lack of education is the recent election in the Philippines. The country elected the son of a deposed president that still owes the country billions of dollars (along with a vice-president that is Duterte's daughter, and we all know him). The educated folks almost entirely voted for the opposition, and for good reason.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I mean... we are talking about the group of people who don't believe printing money causes inflation. And that the world will end in under 12 years. They're not exactly the most intelligent group. It's cute though whenever one of them suggests someone else is the one need of being properly educated. Case in point, the person above me who thinks giving money to education actually improves the quality of it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
@eoten said:

I mean... we are talking about the group of people who don't believe printing money causes inflation. And that the world will end in under 12 years. They're not exactly the most intelligent group. It's cute though whenever one of them suggests someone else is the one need of being properly educated. Case in point, the person above me who thinks giving money to education actually improves the quality of it.

Giving money doesn't necessarily improve it, but it can afford things that improve it.

How does the saying go? "Money isn't happiness; money can buy you happiness, though"

Simply throwing money at education won't fix it, but with smart reform and the financing to support it, it will definitely improve. Then again, with teachers making so little, communities needing to throw fundraisers to supply kids with the basic materials they need like pens and paper...I don't think throwing money at it isn't necessarily such a bad idea after all.

With that said, you don't think education in the US is in a bad state? You think kids are learning enough? Learning the right things?

And please, don't use this as an opportunity to go on some anti-LGBTQ rant about how schools are brainwashing kids. I jsut want to know if you think the basic education that kids get in the US's K-12 public education system is good enough.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eoten

@mrbojangles25 said:
@eoten said:

Giving money doesn't necessarily improve it, but it can afford things that improve it.

How does the saying go? "Money isn't happiness; money can buy you happiness, though"

Simply throwing money at education won't fix it, but with smart reform and the financing to support it, it will definitely improve. Then again, with teachers making so little, communities needing to throw fundraisers to supply kids with the basic materials they need like pens and paper...I don't think throwing money at it isn't necessarily such a bad idea after all.

With that said, you don't think education in the US is in a bad state? You think kids are learning enough? Learning the right things?

And please, don't use this as an opportunity to go on some anti-LGBTQ rant about how schools are brainwashing kids. I jsut want to know if you think the basic education that kids get in the US's K-12 public education system is good enough.

It's not a matter of affording things, the US spends one of the highest amounts of money on education around the world once you're done including local and state funding. The problem is with the execution, and the people in the positions to manage that. Giving more money to those people does nothing but give more money to fund the problem. There are a lot of bad teachers out there, and it's nearly impossible to fire them. Solve that issue first, then we'll talk.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD

Democrats going to pay to make the GOP MAGA.

This is the equivalent of GOP propping up Bernie Sanders. They wouldn't do that, because then you might actually get Bernie.

This is some wild shit. The GOP would be much better turning to America First candidates. They appeal to a much larger base than Mitt Romney/Mcain Republicans. Actually do shit unlike most establishment repubs.

This is going to backfire on demmys.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 606 Posts

They are banking that they will take the moderate vote when the general election comes. That already happened in the presidential election where suburban voters went democrat.

It's a risky and unwise play and i wish there was some way to avoid it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Eoten
@nirgal said:

They are banking that they will take the moderate vote when the general election comes. That already happened in the presidential election where suburban voters went democrat.

It's a risky and unwise play and i wish there was some way to avoid it.

Have you considered they might just be that out of touch?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1106256047/why-democrats-are-paying-for-ads-supporting-republican-primary-candidates

This kind of stuff has been common in politics for decades.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4342 Posts

1 thing is funds from lottery.

not allow to general fund it.

its school funds only.

that another issue. is how they general funded all the school funds for most states.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2502 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Trump did manage to be the first(?) president to lose reelection, along with house and senate. There's some evidence that the Trump route poisons the republican waters enough to give Dems the edge. Trumpism is no longer an unknown and many swing voters shown they don't care for it.

Might not work but I can see the logic behind it, but it's really rotten of the Dems to do it. Literally feeding a cancer.

And it absolutely can backfire of course, the more extremist is a voter base the more motivated they are to vote and Democrats through Biden fail to seduce the far left the same way Republicans through Trump does the far right. But there's nothing they can do about it, all they have left is to fight for the centre, center right.

Some candidate backed by Trump just won in in IL yesterday. She said the Roe V Wade overturn was a win for white life then her campaign revoked her statement lol. Freudian slip perhaps

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode

@mysticaldonut: That's why I say this is a rotten strategy from the Dems. While most moderates will vote Democrat over closeted fascists, even if they win they will be financing those reactionary traitors.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@sargentd: lmao...I found this funny too. But I appreciate the dirty plays. All this time I thought dems were soft. But this is a double edge sword lol

As for candidates, sadly the country doesn't have any real moderates to lead it. I think a common sense independent who aligns with my ideals politically would be more popular with every one. Sadly, all you get nowadays are crazies on both sides.

crazy catches attention, headlines, clicks.

moderates are drowned out in the noise.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

We'll see what happens at the midterms. Biden's approval ratings are terrible, but you would think the democrats have some momentum with the January 6th hearings and the RvW situation. Then again, I think the democrats have created a lot of backlash amongst their own and alienate a lot of independent voters.

On the flipside, Trump still owns the GOP. If I were a dem, I wouldn't tempt fate here. Even if it's not Trump, I could foresee DeSantis also winning. There is no universe where I see a democrat winning the whitehouse in 2024. Not because of any political view, I think Biden will have run his course plus his age, nobody likes Harris (so if Biden can't finish his term, he'd better have a damn good VP), and there's no dem in the background waiting to jump in and run with it (at least not at the moment.)

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nirgal

@eoten: you mean out of touch with the voters? I am not sure about that.

But its true that moderate conservatives are being left without options when maga candidate take the spots of traditional conservatives.

Now will those people chose to vote democrat instead of maga ? I dont know, probably most not. Maybe they are Banking on them just not voting.

Still, i think financing candidates from the opposite party is a stupid thing to do and should not be allowed.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SargentD

@nirgal: will George Bush Republicans vote MAGA conservative candidates over the Democrats right now?

YES

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eoten

@nirgal said:

@eoten: you mean out of touch with the voters? I am not sure about that.

But its true that moderate conservatives are being left without options when maga candidate take the spots of traditional conservatives.

Now will those people chose to vote democrat instead of maga ? I dont know, probably most not. Maybe they are Banking on them just not voting.

Still, i think financing candidates from the opposite party is a stupid thing to do and should not be allowed.

The problem is those MAGA candidates are the traditional conservatives. When you're comparing them to candidates like McCain and Romney which are indistinguishable to voters from DNC candidates. If that's what the RNC offers up as a moderate, can you blame voters for moving away? Even democrats at one point were against the Roe v Wade ruling but have gradually moved further and further left to the point where the actual center is to the right of either party. What you're seeing now is basically a rebalancing mechanism in effect. That's why you're seeing people move towards the MAGA candidates and away from the mainstream republicans that bear little contrast to the other party at all.

Financing the other side's candidates in this case is a huge miscalculation on their party. They don't realize people actually support those candidates for reasons they clearly do not comprehend, and that in doing so, it's only going to increase voter turnout, not decrease it as the mainstream establishment candidates we've seen do nothing time and time again have resulted in a lack of enthusiasm, and decreased turnout because of it.

Given this, the January 6th stuff, Covid, abortion, and other issues being ranked secondary in importance to things like economy, inflation, gas prices, and issues those MAGA candidates are running on, they're setting themselves up for a slaughter.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nirgal

@eoten: I don't agre. Traditional republicans were austeric spenders, pro free trade, strong on military and foreign affairs, pro family.

Maga candidates represent none of that.

The only aspects that have survived in maga as conservative are anti immigration, lower taxes, anti climate change, anti social change.

Other than that it has become a finance populism with debt and troll the other guys kind of movement.

Maybe in your opinion a pro busines, pro free trade, limit spending person that cares less about immigration, social issues and trust science about climate change is nothing but a democrat.

But many of those people will often vote republican if they have a good candidate.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eoten
@nirgal said:

@eoten: I don't agre. Traditional republicans were austeric spenders, pro free trade, strong on military and foreign affairs, pro family.

Maga candidates represent none of that.

The only aspects that have survived in maga as conservative are anti immigration, lower taxes, anti climate change, anti social change.

Other than that it has become a finance populism with debt and troll the other guys kind of movement.

Maybe in your opinion a pro busines, pro free trade, limit spending person that cares less about immigration, social issues and trust science about climate change is nothing but a democrat.

But many of those people will often vote republican if they have a good candidate.

If you are not in support of those things, then how could you possibly know what it is those people look for? And they weren't pro free trade, they were pro fair trade, something we lost in the late 90s, early 2000s with unfair "free trade" agreements. And there's a difference between foreign affairs, and being used by our allies who never lift a finger to do anything. How much can the US continue to throw at Ukraine for example, while not a single other member of NATO can manage a fraction of what we've done, after creating the problem we warned them against in the first place? Being "pro foreign affairs" and being abused by our allies are not the same thing.

It's been twisted to believe if we don't want to send all of our jobs overseas, inflating the Chinese war machine in the same fashion Europe inflated the Russian one (which we are seeing the outcome of now in Ukraine) that we're not pro free trade, or that we're being isolationists. That simply isn't true.

Secondly, nobody is anti-immigration. You confuse immigration with illegal immigration, illegal immigration is destructive to legal immigration which absolutely takes priority. The DNC wishes to conflate the two in order to make a point that isn't there.

And what is being anti "social change" exactly? Like calling out the fact transexuals in women's sports wasn't going to end well? Gee, were they being "anti" or were they merely being correct?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178807 Posts

@sargentd said:

@nirgal: will George Bush Republicans vote MAGA conservative candidates over the Democrats right now?

YES

Nah I see moderate conservatives moving over to moderate democrats. Eventually the democratic party will split between moderate and liberal/progressive and the republican party will cease to matter.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@sargentd said:

YES

This is wrong. There are very few George Bush republicans left, but none of them are voting MAGA. The Lincoln Project is full of George Bush republicans.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:

YES

Nah I see moderate conservatives moving over to moderate democrats. Eventually the democratic party will split between moderate and liberal/progressive and the republican party will cease to matter.

Holy shit. You do live under a rock. Patrick? Is that you?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178807 Posts

@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:

YES

You are going to be extinct, watch and see.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:

YES

You are going to be extinct, watch and see.

ROFLMAO, sure I am... sure I am.