DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

The defamation lawsuit against John Oliver brought by coal baron Robert Murray has been dismissed by a West Virginia court. The lawsuit was brought after John Oliver's segment about Coal that heavily criticized Robert Murray and his company. The court accepted HBOs motions to dismiss the case on the basis that Oliver's statements were protected by the 1st Amendment and that Murray had failed to state a for defamation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/john-oliver-hbo-beat-coal-executives-defamation-lawsuit-1088133

Robert Murray, Murray Energy and other associated coal companies sued both the network and Oliver in June, arguing the host created a "villainous" portrait of the coal baron.

The original segment criticized the company's practices regarding the safety and health of its employees, described Murray as a "geriatric Dr. Evil" and featured a man dressed as a squirrel who proclaimed "Eat shit, Bob." The lawsuit prompted a second segment in which Oliver told viewers about the litigation.

The case was remanded to West Virginia state court where HBO and Partially Important Productions submitted two motions asking the judge to dismiss the matter, one arguing that the challenged statements are protected by the First Amendment and another that the court lacked jurisdiction.

Judge Jeffrey Cramer agreed, and on Wednesday sent a brief letter to the attorneys notifying them of his decision to grant dismissal.

"I find the arguments set forth in the Defendants' Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim and Reply well-founded, appropriate in this matter and will grant the same," writes Cramer. "The Court adopts, with little exception, Defendants' argument in support of their Motion regarding all issues addressed in the same."

I guess Murray will have to wait until his buddy President Trump starts loosening up those libel laws

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Ah, I remember this.

I didn't think it was ever going to go through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I hate lawsuits. Shitty lawyers ftl. free speech shoudl be encouraged.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

I don't think anyone expected this to go through.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

I remember that episode, it was a good one, and Murray is a son of a bitch to the highest degree.

Mr Nutter Butter is a damn good lawyer

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41525 Posts

As it should be, it's like suing Seth MacFarlane or Matt Groening for making fun of people.