Cohen confirms that Sean Hannity is one of his clients.

#1 Edited by PraetorianMan (1977 posts) -

So I'm not sure how much actual fallout there will be from this aside from Hannity possibly violating some disclosure protocol with Fox and making himself look like a shady ****, though this possibly places him under new legal scrutiny since, as Hannity put it, "Michael Cohen has never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received an invoice, or paid legal fees. I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective."

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/985970632201564161

If Hannity's version of their relationship is true, it means that his and Cohen's communications are not covered by attorney-client privileged and Hannity could possibly get nailed for even minor bullshit.

If Cohen's version is more accurate; that Hannity was an actual client, then it makes Hannity's taint-licking and brown nosing even more hilarious.

I'd post a link, but if you just slam "Cohen Hannity" into any search engine ever you'll get a shitzillion results.

#2 Posted by joebones5000 (2743 posts) -

Apparently, Michael Cohen considers Sean hannity a client. This administration is such an embarrassment.

#3 Posted by mattbbpl (17479 posts) -

"If Hannity's version of their relationship is true, it means that his and Cohen's communications are not covered by attorney-client privileged"

That's a really good point. Hadn't considered that.

#4 Posted by Zaryia (9696 posts) -

#5 Edited by narlymech (1681 posts) -

Cohen seems like an attorney for crooks and Hannity is probably a crook too.

#6 Posted by MirkoS77 (14471 posts) -

This keeps getting better and better.

*michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif*

#7 Posted by DrLostRib (5070 posts) -

well that seems sketchy

#8 Posted by Nuck81 (7764 posts) -

Cohen is like the real version of Saul from Breaking Bad

#9 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

Avenatti sparked my attention a few weeks ago and I had a feeling what he was working on was going to be big.

I didnt think it was going to be this big

#10 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9768 posts) -

@tryit said:

Avenatti sparked my attention a few weeks ago and I had a feeling what he was working on was going to be big.

I didnt think it was going to be this big

This wasn't what Avenatti has been working on for his civil case. This was the FBI investigating Cohen for fraud and campaign finance violations.

#11 Edited by DrLostRib (5070 posts) -

And it seems according to hannity, he's sometimes-always-maybes a client of Cohen

#12 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

how long before Hannity says 'that is attorney client privileged information with me and the lawyer I never sought legal services with'

tick tock.

#13 Posted by Horgen (121190 posts) -

@zaryia: Damn it... Weak point

@mattbbpl said:

"If Hannity's version of their relationship is true, it means that his and Cohen's communications are not covered by attorney-client privileged"

Nice of him to clear this up for us.

#14 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44419 posts) -

Oh boy, another part of the web revealed. Wonder how long before we see the whole thing for what it is.

@horgen said:

@zaryia: Damn it... Weak point

@mattbbpl said:

Nice of him to clear this up for us.

Nice indeed!

hannityyouplayedyourself.jpeg

#15 Posted by Jacanuk (18919 posts) -

@PraetorianMan said:

So I'm not sure how much actual fallout there will be from this aside from Hannity possibly violating some disclosure protocol with Fox and making himself look like a shady ****, though this possibly places him under new legal scrutiny since, as Hannity put it, "Michael Cohen has never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received an invoice, or paid legal fees. I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective."

If Hannity's version of their relationship is true, it means that his and Cohen's communications are not covered by attorney-client privileged and Hannity could possibly get nailed for even minor bullshit.

If Cohen's version is more accurate; that Hannity was an actual client, then it makes Hannity's taint-licking and brown nosing even more hilarious.

I'd post a link, but if you just slam "Cohen Hannity" into any search engine ever you'll get a shitzillion results.

That is clearly not true.

You may want to read up on what attorney-client privilege is before trying to point out something that is not true.

As long as Hannity sought out legal advice his conversations are covered, and for god´s sake use google next time, it´s not that hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#16 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk: how could there be client-attorney privilege if Hannity himself said he’s not a client of Cohen?

#17 Edited by Jacanuk (18919 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@Jacanuk: how could there be client-attorney privilege if Hannity himself said he’s not a client of Cohen?

Because it covers even if someone goes to an attorney for legal advice as it says

"“(1) Where legal advice of any kind is sought (2) from a professional legal adviser in his [or her] capacity as such, (3) the communications relating to that purpose, (4) made in confidence (5) by the client, (6) are at his [or her] instance permanently protected (7) from disclosure by [the client] or by the legal adviser, (8) except the protection be waived.”8"

And Hannity confirms exactly that he has simply sought out his legal advice.

#18 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@PraetorianMan said:

That is clearly not true.

You may want to read up on what attorney-client privilege is before trying to point out something that is not true.

As long as Hannity sought out legal advice his conversations are covered, and for god´s sake use google next time, it´s not that hard.

so first off

Hannity claims he never sought legal services from Choen.

So I dont think it can be attorney-client privilege

second off

I think he would have to paid him and have it understood that he was acting as his lawyer before attorney-client privilege kicks in

third off

if a lawyer is commiting fraud or crime then it does not apply

fourth off

the courts finding as of now is that it appears to them Choen does actually practice law.

#19 Posted by DrLostRib (5070 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

he said latter that he slipped Cohen ten bucks and asked for attorney-client privilege. I believe he also called "no take backs"

#20 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk: You are ignoring that Hannity said he asked Cohen as a friend, not as a lawyer. Because Cohen is a friend that also happens to be a lawyer, that doesn’t automatically make Hannity his client.

#21 Edited by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@Jacanuk: You are ignoring that Hannity said he asked Cohen as a friend, not as a lawyer. Because Cohen is a friend that also happens to be a lawyer, that doesn’t automatically make Hannity his client.

and it also does not make it attorney-client privilege

its not true that anything you say to anyone with a law degree falls into attorney-client privilege. you have to have hired them as your lawyer, at min. AND it has to pretain to what you hired him for

#22 Posted by Jacanuk (18919 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

Does not matter that you ask a friend, the legal definition as set by the courts are pretty clear.

As long as Hannity had the intention of possibly becoming a client and was seeking legal advice, then he is covered by the protection.

#23 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:

Does not matter that you ask a friend, the legal definition as set by the courts are pretty clear.

As long as Hannity had the intention of possibly becoming a client and was seeking legal advice, then he is covered by the protection.

that is incorrect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

#25 Edited by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk: How do you know he had “the intention of possibly becoming a client”? That’s a pretty vague standard.

#26 Posted by Horgen (121190 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:

Then Hannity is lying in his tweet... It would be wiser of him to say nothing at all than what he said.

#27 Posted by DrLostRib (5070 posts) -

two articles on the matter. Make of it what you will, but it seems like details of the actual relationship will need to be known to determine privilege

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/hannity-s-attorney-client-privilege-claim-put-cohen-ethical-bind-n866561

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/04/17/yes-sean-hannity-was-a-legal-client-of-michael-cohens/?utm_term=.21328796c0b4

#28 Posted by Jacanuk (18919 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:

Then Hannity is lying in his tweet... It would be wiser of him to say nothing at all than what he said.

Lying in what way?

Nothing in his tweet is contrary to him having protection.

#29 Posted by mattbbpl (17479 posts) -

@drlostrib: "he said latter that he slipped Cohen ten bucks and asked for attorney-client privilege."

I legit thought this was a sarcastic joke. Then I read the news.

#30 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

@drlostrib: "he said latter that he slipped Cohen ten bucks and asked for attorney-client privilege."

and that would be called 'seeking legal services from Cohen'

lol

#31 Posted by TryIt (13157 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:

Lying in what way?

he said latter that he slipped Cohen ten bucks and asked for attorney-client privilege."

and that would be called 'seeking legal services from Cohen'

lol

#32 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9768 posts) -

You don't have to pay your attorney to have privilege. That would imply that pro bono work isn't privileged. I'm not sure what the threshold is, exactly, but I would think you'd probably need some sort of agreement.

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36593 posts) -

Sean Hannity is calling for privacy. How cute, considering he never did for The Obama's or the family of Seth Rich.

#34 Posted by mattbbpl (17479 posts) -

You don't have to offer compensation for attorney client privilege to be in effect. Technically you don't even have to have the attorney in question agree that an attorney client relationship exists (although that gets a bit thornier and has to be sorted out).

But if the client says there's no attorney client relationship, there's no attorney client privilege.

#35 Posted by Horgen (121190 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Lying in what way?

He was never a client of Cohen.

#36 Posted by Serraph105 (34060 posts) -

Sean Hannity’s Ties to Two More Trump-Connected Lawyers

Hannity in bed with Trump thrice confirmed. Soon to be headline will be about how Sean wants out of his non-disclosure agreement with Trump so he can talk about his affair.

#37 Posted by tjandmia (1073 posts) -

We'll find out that hannity paid off women soon

#38 Posted by Dinosaur_Teeth (570 posts) -

Another Nothing Burger for the Left and Mainstream Media to Devour...

Also, THE RUSSIANS ?...

#39 Posted by N64DD (11990 posts) -

@tjandmia said:

We'll find out that hannity paid off women soon

That's speculation, joebones.

#40 Posted by sonicare (56842 posts) -

I would like to disclose that I am not one of Cohen's clients.

#41 Posted by Jacanuk (18919 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Lying in what way?

He was never a client of Cohen.

Well, clearly a judge disagrees and Cohen.

Remember he was forced to reveal all his clients