Climate change deniers, what do you base your reasoning on?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm just curious. Something like 99% of the scientific community believes in man made climate change. There are numerous scientific studies which clearly show how it happens and the extent of it. The vast majority of evidence points to it and suggests catastrophic consequences for the planet if it continues to progress.

The scientific community at large has no financial incentive to falsify this data. Even if they did, I would highly doubt that you would get 99% of them to back it.

The major push against accepting climate change comes from fossil fuel companies who obviously have a conflict of interest. They do have a financial incentive to deny it.

So what are your reasons for denying climate change? Do you have specific evidence that it does not exist or is not a problem? Is it something that is too abstract and distant to bother your every day life? Are you concerned that if you accept it, that the steps taken to combat it could affect you or your income in an adverse way?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

I think a scientist summed it up best (can't remember who it was, I'll have to try and find his name and the interview I saw it in), but he said if someone still denies that climate change is real in 2019, they are either completely ignorant of the scientific facts or they have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

Simple as that.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2122 Posts

Just take a look at some of potholer54 videos and you'll see that deniers fall into one of these 3 categories:

- those who strawman actual scientists for the purpose to deny climate change (pretty much lying about what the original article states for the purpose to discredit it) or to get more clicks on their own articles with sensationalist claims (not made by the original authors in scientific journals)

- those who cite the BS articles of the first category and claim that that the scientists are the ones saying that shit (in order to profit from idiots and/or discredit science)

- those who watch shitty youtube videos made the the second category because they are either to lazy to look up the original source, are willingly ignorant or just are deniers looking for validation in other deniers

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

The usual points of climate change deniers fall into two distinct groups. The first is absolute stupidity and the second is selective reasoning.

The stupid group:

- It’s a hoax created by China to weaken the US.

- It wasn’t hot last summer and winter was colder than the previous years and it lasted longer.

- The atmosphere has less than a quarter percentage point made up of carbon dioxide so adding a little is hardly going to make a difference.

- The climate has always changed, it’s a natural phenomenon.

Selective reasoning group:

- The are not enough weather stations on earth to accurately measure climate change.

- Rising sea levels and floods are not caused by melting glaciers but erosion of coasts.

- Rising greenhouse gases are caused by water vapour from the sea and not due to human activity (billions of cars on the road, thousands of oil refineries, petrochemical plants and etc).

None of the points are sensible and they have all be disproved.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Trump said so.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I don't deny climate change. I deny that many people really care about it. People/politicians who bitch about cc often want to do away with things like nuclear and clean burning gas and don't acknowledge the woeful inefficiencies of solar, wind, and batteries. It's more woke virtue signalling than problem solving.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

This is a common misconception the Left has to the Right. I fall on the Right politically and I’ve yet to meet or hear a pundit flat out deny climate change. Our position is that a) it’s not as big of a deal as the activists claim (America’s warmest year on record was 1934) and b) you got a better, more viable form of energy - energy you need to live as well? What is it? We’d all love to know.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

This is a common misconception the Left has to the Right. I fall on the Right politically and I’ve yet to meet or hear a pundit flat out deny climate change. Our position is that a) it’s not as big of a deal as the activists claim (America’s warmest year on record was 1934) and b) you got a better, more viable form of energy - energy you need to live as well? What is it? We’d all love to know.

Right here is a great example of cherry picking data. America was very hot in 1934, but America is not the whole world. Global temperatures were below average in 1934.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@judaspete: How do you get around your town or city for work, entertainment, or social? How will you be cooling yourself off in the coming hotter months? Do you eat?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@Sevenizz: Making it clear you don't understand what is meant by climate change. Thank you.

In comparison with Norway the hottest year was 2014. Not even 2018 with the warmest and driest summer in many years managed to get into top 10.

Maybe some more relevant. If I look at the statistics for Norway since 1900. It does indeed show that the 1930's were hot, but on average the yearly average temperature has been higher in Norway since the late 90's. And are rising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@Sevenizz: hey and now we have a strawman.

You're pretty good at this

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Man made climate change? Women can’t contribute too?

Feminism die in the liberal party much?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@n64dd said:

Low quality troll bait in political gamers. Get out of here :P

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:

Low quality troll bait in political gamers. Get out of here :P

Haven't had my morning caffeine yet.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: I agree, I dont deny it, but I question the politics of it. People bring up the oil/gas companies pushing against it for thier monetary gain and dont think about green energy companies doing the exact same for thier own monetary gain. Theres alot of money in solar panels, theres plenty incentive to push the world is ending in 10 years for thier profits. The average american cant just drop 30-50k on solar panels for thier home.

The real revolutionary idea will be when someone finds a green energy source that working class people can afford. Someone make a water powered car thats less than 15k new. Then we might have something good.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@sonicare: No one will/should deny that the climate is changing, after all just look at the recent picture from Greenland where the heatwave has caused a lake to form on top of the perma-ice

The reason for discourse is why and how big a role the human population have, while not denying that humans play a role, after all, we all remember the ozone.

The issue is how big and if we are in a period where the natural climate change is perhaps "Exponentially" expanded by the impact we make.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3850 Posts

@sonicare said:

I'm just curious. Something like 99% of the scientific community believes in man made climate change. There are numerous scientific studies which clearly show how it happens and the extent of it. The vast majority of evidence points to it and suggests catastrophic consequences for the planet if it continues to progress.

The scientific community at large has no financial incentive to falsify this data. Even if they did, I would highly doubt that you would get 99% of them to back it.

The major push against accepting climate change comes from fossil fuel companies who obviously have a conflict of interest. They do have a financial incentive to deny it.

So what are your reasons for denying climate change? Do you have specific evidence that it does not exist or is not a problem? Is it something that is too abstract and distant to bother your every day life? Are you concerned that if you accept it, that the steps taken to combat it could affect you or your income in an adverse way?

That figure is wrong it is ore like 50%.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/sean-long/2014/11/20/only-50-scientists-blame-mankind-climate-change-new-study

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JimB

A new article on climate change.

ps://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/a_shocking_scientific_discovery_winds_affect_ocean_temperatures.html

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@JimB said:
@sonicare said:

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/sean-long/2014/11/20/only-50-scientists-blame-mankind-climate-change-new-study

That article is 5 years old and dumb. It survey's all types of people not just Climatologists.

Studies show for climate scientists it is 90-99%.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

This thread is amazing.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zaryia
@Sevenizz said:

This is a common misconception the Left has to the Right.

No it's not,

In a 2019 Gallup poll, 89% of Democrats compared to 34% of Republicans said they believe increases in the Earth’s temperature are due more to the effects of pollution from human activities than because of natural changes in the environment.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Climate change deniers aren't reasoning, that's the problem.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By horgen  Moderator
@Vaasman said:

Climate change deniers aren't reasoning, that's the problem.

It's like American Thinker logic. Read the link by Jim.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

@judaspete: How do you get around your town or city for work, entertainment, or social? How will you be cooling yourself off in the coming hotter months? Do you eat?

you didn't address his point.

the fact remains, 1934 is NOT the warmest year on record globally.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-planet-s-hottest-five-years-on-record-are-the-last-five-years

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts
@JimB said:

A new article on climate change.

ps://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/a_shocking_scientific_discovery_winds_affect_ocean_temperatures.html

not even trying any more, are you?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

All those cow farts.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 judaspete

@Sevenizz said:

You got me. I don't live off the grid or anything. I do own a car, but will bike and take public transportation to work. Have to admit though, the company I work for provides passes for the Light Rail, so I might be driving if that wasn't the case. No AC at my house, but there is at work. And yes I do eat. Excellent questions btw.

I understand oil and coal are not going away overnight, but I don't think putting more wind, solar, geothermal, natural gas, and yes even nuclear power generation into our grid is a crazy idea. Also decrease the subsidies propping up fossil fuel industries, increase the ones propping up renewables, then sit back and let the free market take it from there.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@comp_atkins said:
@Sevenizz said:

you didn't address his point.

the fact remains, 1934 is NOT the warmest year on record globally.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-planet-s-hottest-five-years-on-record-are-the-last-five-years

But hey it was some hot years at the end of WWII. Totally defeats your claim.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

It is a shame that americans hate science :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

I love science. Can't get enough of these TED talks. Wonderful podcasts.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

Political ideologues always had science, because no matter what it will not prove or outright contradict their side.

Be it the fact that science shows no evidence for the harm of GMOs, or the reality of climate change.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

This thread is amazing.

Is it what you expected?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

This thread is amazing.

Is it what you expected?

The posters on this board illustrated every logical twist out there on this topic in this very thread. It's perfect.

My personal favorites include using outright false data and parading non-experts around as experts.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

This thread is amazing.

Is it what you expected?

The posters on this board illustrated every logical twist out there on this topic in this very thread. It's perfect.

My personal favorites include using outright false data and parading non-experts around as experts.

The goal posts are always shifting. There's nothing consistent about it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

I don't think you can really "believe" in climate change since it's a fact; you either accept the facts until data proves otherwise, or believe it's untrue.

@tenaka2 said:

It's a shame you stereotype against a country that generally produces a lot of great scientists and scientific breakthroughs.

I don't blame you, though, the people that know the least tend to shout the loudest, so it's easy to get lost in the bullshit.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@sonicare:

I have 3.5Kw solar panels and working on 7Kw panels, I drive the same hybrid drive-train and car brands as Al Gore's vehicles, but my views are based on this.

Loading Video...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ronvalencia

@judaspete said:
@Sevenizz said:

You got me. I don't live off the grid or anything. I do own a car, but will bike and take public transportation to work. Have to admit though, the company I work for provides passes for the Light Rail, so I might be driving if that wasn't the case. No AC at my house, but there is at work. And yes I do eat. Excellent questions btw.

I understand oil and coal are not going away overnight, but I don't think putting more wind, solar, geothermal, natural gas, and yes even nuclear power generation into our grid is a crazy idea. Also decrease the subsidies propping up fossil fuel industries, increase the ones propping up renewables, then sit back and let the free market take it from there.

Coal mines are important for incoming heavy carbon material based batteries and solar panels.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Power Japan Plus has already announced this new battery technology called Ryden dual carbon. Not only will it last longer and charge faster than lithium but it can be made using the same factories where lithium batteries are built.

The batteries use carbon materials which mean they are more sustainable and environmentally friendly than current alternatives.

https://baogroup.stanford.edu/index.php/research-highlights/391-stanford-scientists-build-the-first-all-carbon-solar-cell

"Carbon has the potential to deliver high performance at a low cost," said study senior author Zhenan Bao, a professor of chemical engineering at Stanford. "To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of a working solar cell that has all of the components made of carbon. This study builds on previous work done in our lab."

1. Batteries has graphite (refined coal) materials and Coal mines are one of the source for graphite.

2. Coal mine is needed for steel making. Next generation carbon-carbon batteries and all carbon solar cells.

For semi-conductor material, Carbon has the potential to replace Silicon.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 horgen  Moderator

@ronvalencia said:

Coal mines are important for incoming heavy carbon material based batteries and solar panels.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Power Japan Plus has already announced this new battery technology called Ryden dual carbon. Not only will it last longer and charge faster than lithium but it can be made using the same factories where lithium batteries are built.

The batteries use carbon materials which mean they are more sustainable and environmentally friendly than current alternatives.

https://baogroup.stanford.edu/index.php/research-highlights/391-stanford-scientists-build-the-first-all-carbon-solar-cell

"Carbon has the potential to deliver high performance at a low cost," said study senior author Zhenan Bao, a professor of chemical engineering at Stanford. "To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of a working solar cell that has all of the components made of carbon. This study builds on previous work done in our lab."

1. Batteries has graphite (refined coal) materials and Coal mines are one of the source for graphite.

2. Coal mine is needed for steel making. Next generation carbon-carbon batteries and all carbon solar cells.

For semi-conductor material, Carbon has potential to replace Silicon.

I think it is awesome that they are researching newer battery tech, and if it is carbon based, it's a big win. However that's not what I want to focus my attention on right now. It's rather the link itself (https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air) and something from the article:

Graphenano, the company behind the development, says the batteries can be charged to full in just a few minutes and can charge and discharge 33 times faster than lithium ion. Discharge is also crucial for things like cars that want vast amounts of power in order to pull away quickly.

This energy has to come from somewhere. Will the future gas stations has extremely large batteries instead of the fuel tanks they currently got, have them slowly (slow being relative here) charged the whole time and when someone comes in to charge their car, they tap into the stored energy there, or will the power grid see a sudden surge of a few megawatts being drawn each time a car hooks up to charge? The latter is going to require one hell of a robust and capable power grid.

I know Teslas supercharger charges at 480V. For 120KW, their current max, that requires 250A. Plans for increasing it to 250KW requires 520A. Will they have better cooling on the charging cable, or increase the thickness of it? And wonder how the Volkswagen fast charger will be, the 375KW one.

I just don't see it as likely that we are plugging in these cables ourselves if the max charge speed is going even further up without adjusting the voltage.

/rant

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JimB

@zaryia said:
@JimB said:
@sonicare said:

That article is 5 years old and dumb. It survey's all types of people not just Climatologists.

Follow the money. By the way even more scientists now disagree with man made climate change.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 judaspete

@ronvalencia said:
@judaspete said:
@Sevenizz said:

Great. Let's set less coal on fire, and put it into batteries or semiconductors instead.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zaryia
@JimB said:
@zaryia said:
@JimB said:
@sonicare said:

Follow the money. By the way even more scientists now disagree with man made climate change.

What....no...wt?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator

@zaryia said:

What....no...wt?

Zaryia you got to read articles in the right places. Like this one :P

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HoolaHoopMan

@horgen said:
@zaryia said:

What....no...wt?

Zaryia you got to read articles in the right places. Like this one :P

He consistently links that blog (read: propaganda).

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ronvalencia

@horgen said:
@ronvalencia said:

I think it is awesome that they are researching newer battery tech, and if it is carbon based, it's a big win. However that's not what I want to focus my attention on right now. It's rather the link itself (https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air) and something from the article:

Graphenano, the company behind the development, says the batteries can be charged to full in just a few minutes and can charge and discharge 33 times faster than lithium ion. Discharge is also crucial for things like cars that want vast amounts of power in order to pull away quickly.

This energy has to come from somewhere. Will the future gas stations has extremely large batteries instead of the fuel tanks they currently got, have them slowly (slow being relative here) charged the whole time and when someone comes in to charge their car, they tap into the stored energy there, or will the power grid see a sudden surge of a few megawatts being drawn each time a car hooks up to charge? The latter is going to require one hell of a robust and capable power grid.

I know Teslas supercharger charges at 480V. For 120KW, their current max, that requires 250A. Plans for increasing it to 250KW requires 520A. Will they have better cooling on the charging cable, or increase the thickness of it? And wonder how the Volkswagen fast charger will be, the 375KW one.

I just don't see it as likely that we are plugging in these cables ourselves if the max charge speed is going even further up without adjusting the voltage.

/rant

Carbon batteries acts like hydrocarbon energy carriers and it can discharge energy similar to hydrocarbon based combustion engine.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170718091549.htm

New hydrocarbon fuel cells with high efficiency and low cost. It can defeat hydrogen based fuel cell on transport and storage cost.

https://newatlas.com/co2-water-hydrocarbon-fuel-uta/41976/

Liquid hydrocarbon fuel created from CO2 and water in breakthrough one-step process

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vl4d_l3nin

My girl at it again. Refineries explode because of climate change or something

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: Eh? what does a fire, at a Philadelphia Refinery have to do with climate change?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk: Apart from being an oil fire I don't know. Maybe going for the parallell that we are doing this on a slower but much larger scale with our massive consumption of oil?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: Apart from being an oil fire I don't know. Maybe going for the parallell that we are doing this on a slower but much larger scale with our massive consumption of oil?

I think she is saying that if all our energy was renewable, we wouldn't have any refineries, and this explosion wouldn't have happened.

That's what we call "stretching it", folks. I still like AOC a lot but she needs to learn from Trump's mistakes and maybe stay off the Twitter, or at least sleep on it in relation to what she wants to post.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 vl4d_l3nin
@Jacanuk said:

@vl4d_l3nin: Eh? what does a fire, at a Philadelphia Refinery have to do with climate change?

If we just used renewable energy, these types of accidents wouldn't happen!