Captain Marvel has sixth largest opening wekend ever. Right-wing outrage machine defeated?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

... and is also 2019s biggest movie so far. The third biggest movie ever to launch in March in the US.

http://fortune.com/2019/03/11/captain-marvel-opening-weekend/

It would appear the Social Justice Warrior Feminists have won this round. Maybe it even helps movies to be boycotted by the right, now. Let's hope that many more examples can be taken for accurate results.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

Can a movie just have a female protagonist without being turned into something political?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

I'm not surprised. The vast majority of people were unaware there was even a controversy surrounding this movie and Brie Larson. One of those things you only hear about if you frequent nerd forums like us nerds here. It's a Marvel movie. People just kinda go to these.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@horgen: The same thing happened with Black Panther, and that one's only sin was having a largely black cast.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Not really that impressive. Opening a Marvel movie and having it tie in with what will likely be the best selling movie of the year( Avengers: end game) is a sure way for all these movies to succeed. I'm curious how their next standalone movies do once Avengers is over.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blackhairedhero

@judaspete: It's true. Most people are unaware of her comments and the controversy.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19375 Posts

Worldwide, it's the second biggest movie of the year so far, after The Wandering Earth (a Chinese sci-fi movie that's huge in China). But Captain Marvel should likely surpass it next weekend.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jag85  Online

@judaspete: I didn't know there was a controversy either, until I started noticing comparisons between Alita and Captain Marvel... And as an Alita fan, I jumped on the Captain-Marvel-bashing bandwagon without even realizing why it was being bashed in the first place. It's only afterwards that I became aware the reason was Brie Larson's comments, and I still don't get what's so offensive about them. She literally repeated "I don't hate white men" multiple times in that clip, but was just asking for more diversity.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts

Right Wing SIWs are just as obnoxious as left wing SJWs.

And they dont even realize just how obnoxiously authoritarian they are. Claiming to fight against political correctness, by enforcing their own brand of political correctness.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: How about you just stop signaling out an entire group of people? That would be a start.

If she said her comments about any other group of people it would have been an absolute shitstorm and her career would be over.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58637 Posts

I don't get it, her comments were really very little to do with the movie itself, even if you disagree. She's also a single component of a larger entity created by a team of people.

@horgen said:

Can a movie just have a female protagonist without being turned into something political?

Feel this way about games. When you put a really good female character like Elizabeth Shaw no one will blink an eye-lid. As soon as it's publicised as something political you got yourself a battleground.

Prometheus is great movie btw. At some point, 100 years from now, it will be considered a masterpiece.

Maybe 200, but it will come.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

Thread is a nothingburger, controversy is nothing. Of course she asked for more diversity, every sane person should after looking at the statistics. She wasn't against anything (therefore no controversy), only for things.

@Maroxad said:

Right Wing SIWs are just as obnoxious as left wing SJWs.

And they dont even realize just how obnoxiously authoritarian they are. Claiming to fight against political correctness, by enforcing their own brand of political correctness.

Pretty much this.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@horgen: the main actress was the one that pushed for that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jag85  Online

@blackhairedhero:

She did not single out an entire group of people. She was simply asking for more diversity in the film criticism profession. And then she added "I don't hate white men" several times to clarify that she is not hating on white males, but just wants to hear more female and non-white perspectives in film criticism.

I doubt other groups would react with a shitstorm over someone asking for more diversity. In hip hop, for example, a number of female and non-black rappers have similarly spoken about how the hip hop industry is dominated by black males, and how hip hop should have more diversity. Did a large group of black males react with rage, threats and boycotts against female or non-black rappers? No.

And for the record, I'm not even rooting for this movie. If anything, I'd be glad if it fails. But my reasons (Disney's corporate monopoly over Hollywood) are different to the reasons others may want it to fail (they hate Brie Larson).

EDIT: Also, just for the record, I have an issue with outrage culture in general, not just alt-right outrage. I have also criticized outrage culture from the left (e.g. Liam Neeson, #MeToo allegations, Sony censorship, etc.), but alt-right outrage tends to be the pettiest kind of snowflake behaviour. The outrage over Liam Neeson or #MeToo allegations are at least understandable, but the outrage over Brie Larson is just petty.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@horgen: Wonder Woman was highly regarded and mostly free from negativity. Captain Marvel isn’t as good and was criticized as s result.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178807 Posts

@horgen said:

Apparently not........

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Promethous even 1000 years from now will not be co,soldered a great or even good film lol.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Jag85: Her "I dont hate white men" came off like some racist hillbilly saying "I don't hate black people but...".

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

not really shocking...you add some diversity to the cast and the movie is a bit more enjoyable for everybody. Though, even in the big movies like the avengers, diversity isn't really a thing. You have 10 heroes, all white, and one token black guy...black panther. Hollywood is still pretty behind on the diversity metric, an area where Netflix is far ahead.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jag85  Online

@vfighter: It would've been better if she didn't say the "I don't hate white men" part at all, because that's ironically the part that has caused the most outrage from snowflakes who completely missed the point of what she was saying... All they heard is "I don't hate white men", didn't bother listening to anything else she said, and went straight into rage mode.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: If you have to say " I don't hate" a certain group of people before bashing them it's usually not a good sign. The problem with Brie Larson is she sounds like a typical virtue signaling Hollywood celebrity. And yes she did single out a group, White men specifically. She said she didn't care what white men thought about a wrinkle in time but wanted to know what a women of color thought.... really Brie? Now imagine if I said that about any group of people but swapped races. And your hip hop example is laugable. When they mean more diversity they meant more women. This goes into my next big problem. Why do people only talk about diversity when it involves white people??? Have you seen movies in China? The cast is 100% Asian. What about Bollywood films? 100% Indian. Why does diversity only matter when it involves white people? This a question leftwing snowflakes always get stumped on.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jag85  Online

@blackhairedhero:

Except she didn't say that. She was misquoted by the media, and then the misquote was taken out of context by the alt-right. Here is what she actually said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/brie-larsons-i-do-not-hate-white-dudes-lack-of-inclusion-film-critics-1201974617/

On Monday, the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative — led by Dr. Stacy L. Smith, honored earlier at the ceremony by Frances McDormand — released a report that examined nearly 20,000 reviews of last year’s 100 top-grossing movies. The report found that 63.9 percent of those reviews were written by white men, versus white women (18.1 percent), underrepresented men (13.8 percent), and underrepresented women (4.1 percent).

“Am I saying I hate white dudes?” asked the Oscar-winning “Room” actress, a question that she’d repeat twice more during her speech. She answered with a sneer, “No, I’m not … [but if] you make the movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie and review your movie.”

Larson continued, “[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.

She is essentially saying, she already knows what "40-year-old white dude" critics said about the movie, but what she hasn't heard are what "women of color" critics thought about the movie, despite "women of color" being the movie's primary target audience. Her point is about women of color being under-represented, not about white men. But the alt-right missed the point, and went into a rage.

And you're dead wrong about hip hop. Plenty of non-black rappers have spoken about how hip hop is dominated by black guys, that it's hard for non-black rappers to make it, etc. Did that lead to backlash from black guys going on a rage against non-black rappers? No. The only people who throw a tantrum the moment the word "diversity" is mentioned are the alt-right.

As for China and India, they're not homogenous nations like you're making out. China has at least dozens of ethnic groups, some of whom don't have a typical "East Asian" phenotype (such as the people of Xinjiang province, most of whom have a more "Central-Asian" or "Middle-Eastern" looking appearance). And India especially is very diverse, with at least hundreds of ethnic groups, who come in all kinds of skin tones and phenotypes. In Bollywood, there has been a big push for diversity in recent years, with increasing demands from women, ethnic minorities, darker-skinned people, traditionally lower castes, religious minorities (e.g. Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, etc.) and Northeast Indians (who generally have a more "East Asian" looking appearance) to get more representation in Bollywood.

Whenever a democracy has sizeable minority populations who feel under-represented, it's inevitable that these under-represented minority groups will eventually demand to be represented. It's not a "black" and "white" thing, but it's a "majority" and "minority" thing. That's what "diversity" is about, under-represented minority groups who are citizens of a country getting their fair share of representation in that country. But I think "representation" is a better way to describe it. The word "diversity" is somewhat ambiguous, whereas the word "representation" is more clear and concise.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: I watched her entire speech. You keep saying the alt right misquoted it. I summed up her quote perfectly. The movie wasn't made for them? Ok then why should we see it?

" I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. "

That says it pretty clear right there. Take the word white out of the quote and replace it with anything and she would get blackballed from hollywood. You live in an absolute fantasy land if you don't think that's the truth.

Um they are homogeneous nations. The vast majority of the population in China and Japan is of East Asian decent. Again you don't see them apologizing for it you see them celebrating it! That doesn't seem to be the case in the US and Europe though where diversity is demanded. Hell you can't even make a show about a book by a Polish Author ( yes I'm talking about the witcher on Netflix) without casting black people in key roles. European culture is the only one not allowed to be celebrated without crazy leftwing maniacs screaming for diversity.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

If Star Wars taught me anything, they'll still find a way.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shewgenja

@blackhairedhero: You very clearly did not watch her speech because she was explicitly talking about another movie. Fake rightwing outrage got owned and it's beautiful.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

not really shocking...you add some diversity to the cast and the movie is a bit more enjoyable for everybody. Though, even in the big movies like the avengers, diversity isn't really a thing. You have 10 heroes, all white, and one token black guy...black panther. Hollywood is still pretty behind on the diversity metric, an area where Netflix is far ahead.

The fact that it took Marvel Studios this long to get a movie with a female lead is pretty telling.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49564 Posts

What? Am I missing something here but why would there be political controversy with Captain Marvel?

Second of all, who in their right mind expected it not to do well? It had no competition, and serves as a tie in to the anticipated movie of the year, End Game?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

What? Am I missing something here but why would there be political controversy with Captain Marvel?

Second of all, who in their right mind expected it not to do well? It had no competition, and serves as a tie in to the anticipated movie of the year, End Game?

The lead actress said dumb things that pissed people off. That's pretty much it.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blackhairedhero

@Shewgenja: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_DNrV6izw

That's what I watched, It is what it is. She is a virtue signaling white guilt liberal. I don't have outrage as much as it just makes me cringe to watch the speech.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: yep, I just watched the movie and I enjoyed it. It was probably one of the more diverse movies to come out in recent memory. Though the color of the cast didn't matter too much in the overall movie enjoyment.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jag85  Online
@blackhairedhero said:

@Jag85: I watched her entire speech. You keep saying the alt right misquoted it. I summed up her quote perfectly. The movie wasn't made for them? Ok then why should we see it?

" I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. "

That says it pretty clear right there. Take the word white out of the quote and replace it with anything and she would get blackballed from hollywood. You live in an absolute fantasy land if you don't think that's the truth.

Um they are homogeneous nations. The vast majority of the population in China and Japan is of East Asian decent. Again you don't see them apologizing for it you see them celebrating it! That doesn't seem to be the case in the US and Europe though where diversity is demanded. Hell you can't even make a show about a book by a Polish Author ( yes I'm talking about the witcher on Netflix) without casting black people in key roles. European culture is the only one not allowed to be celebrated without crazy leftwing maniacs screaming for diversity.

You're still quoting her out of context. You can't just take that one line, and ignore the wider context:

[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.

She is not talking about white men, but she is talking about women of color. She just said "40 year-old white dude" as an example. She could've just as easily said "I do not need some 18-year-old boy to tell me what didn’t work for him" and it wouldn't make much difference. If she just said "some 40 year-old dude" without the "white" part, would that have been less offensive for you? And as a white woman herself, why can't she say the word "white"? There are plenty of black women who talk shit about black men, or brown women who talk shit about brown men, etc. So how is it "racist" for white women to talk about white men? You can't be "racist" against your own race.

You missed my point about majority-minority dynamics. You keep trying to boil it down to a simplistic racial "black" and "white" narrative, when it's more of a "majority" and "minority" issue. It's about which groups are the majority in a country, and who are the minority groups in that country. Whatever country you are talking about, the people with the power in that country will most likely be the majority group. In China, for example, the Han ethnic group make up about 90% of the population, so they hold power over the dozens of minority ethnic groups in China. And because it's not a democracy and lacks free speech, ethnic minorities there (e.g. Tibetans, Uyghur, Hui, etc.) lack the voice to demand greater representation. Whereas in Asian democracies with free speech (e.g. India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.), minorities there do have a voice to speak out and demand greater representation. Like I said about India, there is growing demand for diversity in Bollywood, with a number of different minority groups demanding greater representation in Bollywood. In other diverse Asian countries like Malaysia and Singapore, you see ethnic minorities get plenty of representation in their local media (e.g. Chinese/Indians/whites in Malaysia, or Malays/Indians/whites in Singapore). And even in Japan, despite the country being mostly homogenous, there is a growing representation of minorities. In Japanese movies and TV shows these days, it's becoming increasingly common to see people of either half-Japanese or non-Japanese descent (e.g. Korean, Chinese, white, black, South & Southeast Asian, etc.). Some of the biggest celebrities in Japan nowadays are "hafu" (half-Japanese), despite Japan being relatively homogenous. Representation (or "diversity" as many call it) is a global issue across the world. Whatever countries have democracy and free speech, you'll almost always get under-represented minority groups demanding greater representation in their country. The only way to "shut up" minorities is to become an authoritarian regime like China and deny them free speech.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Its funny how people who don't want to hear dumb opinions, put their ear on the bowls of internet where every last possible opinion is, and then gets mad that there is people out there with dumb opinions. I know my Mom and Sister went and saw it this weekend, as did rest of America, and what people on internet say doesn't stop regular people from seeing a movie.

No matter what happens, there is always a vocal hater group for everything. The only thing that differentiates them all, is how much credibility we allow each of them to have. I wouldn't be shocked if 50% of the internet's "complaining" isn't spearheaded by trolls who don't actually care, aka instigators.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: I linked the video. She specifically states the overwhelming amount of critics who are white men. She wasn't just using them as an example she was calling them out. I didn't say she can't do it she can say whatever she wants especially when it pertains to bashing white men in Hollywood. They all do it hell I feel I've heard similar speeches to that a dozen times the past two years. My point is it reeks of virtue signaling and if people are upset about it that's her fault.

Also you bringing up Japan is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You realize the Japanese have bars where if your not Japanese you can't go in? And most the diversity you see in Japanese media involves white people because they are obsessed with western culture. It's no different then white people making a game or movie about Samurais. The fact is they are allowed to make things that celebrate their culture without having to apologize for it. Only western cultures are forced to apologize and have a POC quota for everything they release.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jag85  Online

@blackhairedhero:

If they all do it, then why single-out Brie Larson? Why not boycott Marvel or Disney as a whole? (Which I wouldn't mind, to be honest.) Why go after just a single woman? It's one thing to go after a corporation, but targeting a single woman just makes it look like a harassment campaign, no matter how they spin it (as we've learnt from the whole Gamergate fiasco).

Those signs in Japan are referring to language, not race. Because many foreigners have a tendency to speak English, that's why they put up signs saying their staff speak Japanese only. And it's not just white people, but it's not uncommon to see celebrities who are fully or partially from other minority ethnic backgrounds (e.g. Ainu, Okinawan, Korean, Chinese, South Asian, Southeast Asian, black) in Japanese media as well. Even a relatively homogeneous country like Japan is starting to make efforts to represent minorities in their media, let alone diverse Asian countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore where minorities (e.g. Chinese, Indians, Malays, whites, etc.) are very common in their media. In fact, Crazy Rich Asians, a movie that has been celebrated for diversity/representation in the West, was bashed in Singapore (where the movie takes place) for its lack of diversity/representation, for reinforcing Singapore's "Chinese privilege" and failing to represent the darker Malay & Indian minorities. In other words, Singapore has its own issues with "Chinese privelege", much like "white privelege" in Western countries.

And great, at least you acknowledge that white people are over-represented in Japan. And it's not just Japan, but white people are over-represented in many other Asian countries as well. So why is it okay for white people to be over-represented in Asia, yet somehow it's bad for non-white people to be represented fairly in the West? And countries across the world are being "forced to apologize" for their cultures, more so in Eastern cultures that are being pressured by Western cultures to conform to their Western values. For example, the whole censorship fiasco over Sony's new gaming headquarters in California attempting to impose their American values on Japan. As for quotas, they're not just a thing in Western countries, but similar systems exist in Asian countries. For example, one of the first countries to have a quota system was India, after abolishing the caste system, to give more representation to traditionally lower castes.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shewgenja

@Jag85 said:
@blackhairedhero said:

You're still quoting her out of context. You can't just take that one line, and ignore the wider context:

[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.

She is not talking about white men, but she is talking about women of color. She just said "40 year-old white dude" as an example. She could've just as easily said "I do not need some 18-year-old boy to tell me what didn’t work for him" and it wouldn't make much difference. If she just said "some 40 year-old dude" without the "white" part, would that have been less offensive for you? And as a white woman herself, why can't she say the word "white"? There are plenty of black women who talk shit about black men, or brown women who talk shit about brown men, etc. So how is it "racist" for white women to talk about white men? You can't be "racist" against your own race.

You missed my point about majority-minority dynamics. You keep trying to boil it down to a simplistic racial "black" and "white" narrative, when it's more of a "majority" and "minority" issue. It's about which groups are the majority in a country, and who are the minority groups in that country. Whatever country you are talking about, the people with the power in that country will most likely be the majority group. In China, for example, the Han ethnic group make up about 90% of the population, so they hold power over the dozens of minority ethnic groups in China. And because it's not a democracy and lacks free speech, ethnic minorities there (e.g. Tibetans, Uyghur, Hui, etc.) lack the voice to demand greater representation. Whereas in Asian democracies with free speech (e.g. India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.), minorities there do have a voice to speak out and demand greater representation. Like I said about India, there is growing demand for diversity in Bollywood, with a number of different minority groups demanding greater representation in Bollywood. In other diverse Asian countries like Malaysia and Singapore, you see ethnic minorities get plenty of representation in their local media (e.g. Chinese/Indians/whites in Malaysia, or Malays/Indians/whites in Singapore). And even in Japan, despite the country being mostly homogenous, there is a growing representation of minorities. In Japanese movies and TV shows these days, it's becoming increasingly common to see people of either half-Japanese or non-Japanese descent (e.g. Korean, Chinese, white, black, South & Southeast Asian, etc.). Some of the biggest celebrities in Japan nowadays are "hafu" (half-Japanese), despite Japan being relatively homogenous. Representation (or "diversity" as many call it) is a global issue across the world. Whatever countries have democracy and free speech, you'll almost always get under-represented minority groups demanding greater representation in their country. The only way to "shut up" minorities is to become an authoritarian regime like China and deny them free speech.

She said "40 year old white dude" because that is the demographic of the reviewers. It was the entire point.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: You signal out Brie Larson because she was the one giving that cringeworthy speech. Shes the one talking about how hard it is to be a women in Hollywood as she makes more money then 99% of the US public.

And no in Japan their not referring to race. You can't even get in the door. I saw a documentary on it. Lol and I love how you talk about diversity in Japan and then mention that their idea of diversity is different Asian cultures. Lmao! You say asians are forced to adopt western values and your example is the left wing division of Sony who' gets offended by a little ass? Hey I agree white guilt liberals know no limits when it comes to virtue signaling but in most cases asians are unapologetic for their culture and they don't need to be. Meanwhile out west you can't even have a movie about European knights without casting PoC in a key role lmao!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shewgenja

@blackhairedhero said:

@Jag85: You signal out Brie Larson because she was the one giving that cringeworthy speech. Shes the one talking about how hard it is to be a women in Hollywood as she makes more money then 99% of the US public.

And no in Japan their not referring to race. You can't even get in the door. I saw a documentary on it. Lol and I love how you talk about diversity in Japan and then mention that their idea of diversity is different Asian cultures. Lmao! You say asians are forced to adopt western values and your example is the left wing division of Sony who' gets offended by a little ass? Hey I agree white guilt liberals know no limits when it comes to virtue signaling but in most cases asians are unapologetic for their culture and they don't need to be. Meanwhile out west you can't even have a movie about European knights without casting PoC in a key role lmao!

That's because medieval Europe, did in fact, have PoC. It's actually hilarious to think Europe would exist at all as a racial hegemony. You use these silly little things because of it, in fact: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

https://www.publicmedievalist.com/race-racism-middle-ages-tearing-whites-medieval-world/

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Shewgenja: Errr no it didn't not as high ranking knights and kings anyway and if so it was rare. Your far left blog piece doesn't even deny that. It's simply saying PoC existed in the midevil times[ they had their own versions of knights] Muslim nations etc. And yes they existed in Europe but they were not heroes and they were a minority. You didn't see random black men leading fighting forces for England and France.

White people made their way to Africa hundreds of years ago but does that mean a cultural piece about Africa would star a large portion of white people because some people existed there? Lmao

nice logic!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shewgenja

@blackhairedhero: Oh, you mean every movie about Egypt ever? Have a seat.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Shewgenja: You mean movies from the 50's and 60's?

Now the filmmakers have to apologize for it.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/11/28/entertainment/gods-of-egypt-cast-apology-feat/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

And after Rome conquered Egypt there was alot of white DNA found in ancient Egyptians.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shewgenja

@blackhairedhero: Maybe because they should? No one owes you a comfortable white world. I bring the receipts.

https://www.pinterest.com/Aglosab23/black-royalty-and-nobility-of-ancient-europe/

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Shewgenja: Bring what receipts? Mostly Morrish knights who were their own civilization till the Spanish wiped them out? Or the blacks who served the Roman empire( before midevil Europe) after they conquered Egypt? That's the vast majority of what those pictures portray. St. Maurice is an exception not a rule. There were a few white Samurais as well. That doesn't mean we make a movie about feudal Japan full of white people.

Are you actually arguing that France, Europe, Germany etc were just peppered with knights of African descent.?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

The fact that it took Marvel Studios this long to get a movie with a female lead is pretty telling.

Probably wouldn't have done so if they had not seen the success of Wonder Woman. For some reason Hollywood still puts women below men.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@horgen: The same thing happened with Black Panther, and that one's only sin was having a largely black cast.

Yet to see that movie.

@Sevenizz said:

@horgen: Wonder Woman was highly regarded and mostly free from negativity. Captain Marvel isn’t as good and was criticized as s result.

Wonder Woman is the only decent DC movie in their attempt at recreating Marvel's success with live adaptations of their comics. The bar is really low. :P

@Jag85 said:

@blackhairedhero:

She did not single out an entire group of people. She was simply asking for more diversity in the film criticism profession. And then she added "I don't hate white men" several times to clarify that she is not hating on white males, but just wants to hear more female and non-white perspectives in film criticism.

Sadly that has almost guaranteed the opposite effect in how people interpret it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

@blackhairedhero said:

@Shewgenja: Bring what receipts? Mostly Morrish knights who were their own civilization till the Spanish wiped them out? Or the blacks who served the Roman empire( before midevil Europe) after they conquered Egypt? That's the vast majority of what those pictures portray. St. Maurice is an exception not a rule. There were a few white Samurais as well. That doesn't mean we make a movie about feudal Japan full of white people.

Are you actually arguing that France, Europe, Germany etc were just peppered with knights of African descent.?

How did this argument even develop. You and other alt right groups took what she said way out of context and whined. There is nothing wrong with wanting to hear the opinion of people a specific work was created toward. You cannot put yourself in the same situation of any demographic you are not a part. She didn't say white men shouldn't review the movies. She wants more diversity in the reviews.

Unless one is extremely insecure this idea should not cause them to get their panties in a twist.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blackhairedhero

@LJS9502_basic: I didn't whine I stated a fact. I'm sorry your enraged that some people are angry. I posted a full video of her statement's. Nothing was taken out of context.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@blackhairedhero said:

@LJS9502_basic: I didn't whine I stated a fact. I'm sorry your enraged that some people are angry. I posted a full video of her statement's. Nothing was taken out of context.

I'm not enraged. Stupidity amuses me. However they are enraged. And you are defending that anger so you must be enraged as well. Edited content changes meaning.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shewgenja

@blackhairedhero: Okay, first of all, black people were not wiped out by the Spanish. They were expelled, but SURPRISE, they went elsewhere. All over Europe, to be precise. If black people were few and far between before they sure as hell weren't during the Renaissance. Deus Vult?

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackhairedhero

@LJS9502_basic: No I'm just stating facts for her apologists that nothing was taken out of context. Video evidence and direct quotes point to that. If your ok with what she said that's fine but call it for what it is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

@blackhairedhero said:

@LJS9502_basic: No I'm just stating facts for her apologists that nothing was taken out of context. Video evidence and direct quotes point to that. If your ok with what she said that's fine but call it for what it is.

Well you've been wrong this entire time so there's that.