BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/10/politics/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-abortion/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2018-12-10T16%3A32%3A43&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN

The Supreme Court Monday rebuffed efforts by states to block funding to Planned Parenthood.

This justice began the Supreme Court's conservative transformationIt left in place two lower court opinions that said that states violate federal law when they terminate Medicaid contracts with Planned Parenthood affiliates who offer preventive care for low income women. It would have taken four justices to agree to hear the issue, and only three conservative justices -- Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch -- voted to hear the case.Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh appeared to side with the court's liberals in not taking up the case -- showing an effort to avoid high-profile abortion-related issues for now.Roberts and Kavanaugh "likely have serious objections," said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law. "But such votes seem to be a signal that they would rather avoid contentious, high-profile disputes for now, at least where possible."At issue is not whether states can provide federal funding for abortion. Instead, the case concerned whether they can block Medicaid funds from offices that provide such women with annual health screens, contraceptive coverage and cancer screening.Thomas wrote a dissent for the three conservatives, saying the court isn't doing its job."What explains the Court's refusal to do its job here?" Thomas wrote."I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named Planned Parenthood," he wrote.RBG's message one month after fall: I'm still here"But these cases are not about abortion rights," he said. "They are about private rights of action under the Medicaid Act. Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood's ability to challenge the states' decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits."

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

So, obviously I just didn't want a Conservative appointed to the bench, accusations false or not - politics is a dirty business.

But, I'm hoping he'll continue to be a moderate and not extreme.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15560 Posts

Perhaps Kavanaugh is a secret counter-troll and is going to work against the Republican interests that streamrolled him into the spot.

A man can dream.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Ouch. That means tears were shed.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Yeah this and news about Avanatti falling out of the election race makes my predictions random

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

I think the media onslaught was to make Trump supporters think that he was their guy. It's the same strategy they used with Trump to convince his supporters that he was going to drain the swamp and fight the deep state.

It's the same strategy they use to keep Trump supporters from turning on Trump.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Every conservative I talked to knew this guy was a moderate, who tends to side with legal precedent. Most of us wanted Amy Barrett.

If Barrett was nominated, those feminist clawing and banging on the doors of the Supreme Court would've at least had reason to be doing so. It would still be an act of juvenile futility, but there would've been at least something symbolic about it.