Baltimore removes Confederate statue's overnight. Lets burn history books while we're at it!!! But....

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes it was the point. He said all statutes must be taken down. American leaders are not the same as leaders from a rebel state that took arms against us. You can't make false equivalency's and act like you are posting logically.

Be wary of the slippery slope though, first it's Confederate statues because of things like slavery but remember George Washington and the founding fathers owned slaves too and people will use that as an excuse some already are attempting to.

There is no slippery slope. George Washington and the Founding Fathers are honoured for the ideals they represented and fought for. The ownership of slaves, while abhorrent, is a defect or a glitch in their character. The characters aren't being honoured so much as it is the symbolism that they represent. Values and ideas like life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, self-government, and equality for all.

Whereas people like Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, Alexander Stephens etc. the ownership of slaves, fighting to keep slavery an institution, and betraying their country is not just a main feature of their character but precisely why monuments to them are erected. While someone like Confederate general James Longstreet who took great strides to mend race relations after the Civil War is seen as a failed general and traitor to the confederate cause.

It isn't the same as monuments to the Founding Fathers whose characters may not entirely match the ideals and values they fought for. There was nothing honourable about the Confederacy and what it fought for, it is in fact the opposite. To honour traitors whose opposition to the abolition of slavery almost brought about the end of the country is a disgrace to everything the United States holds dear.

Fanatics won't care for what they stood for or what they represent. They will find a flaw with the character of historical figures and attack just be viglante and hope you don't have to defend the Washington monument for example. As someone who enjoys history I feel uncomfortable with this sort of thing.

I'm not judging them they are a product of the times they lived.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 borninblood60

@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes it was the point. He said all statutes must be taken down. American leaders are not the same as leaders from a rebel state that took arms against us. You can't make false equivalency's and act like you are posting logically.

Be wary of the slippery slope though, first it's Confederate statues because of things like slavery but remember George Washington and the founding fathers owned slaves too and people will use that as an excuse some already are attempting to.

I don't understand why anyone equates the confederacy with the founding fathers. It's illogical and frankly stupid.

I'm not equatteing but some may use the fact that they also owned slaves to demand that those be removed also.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't understand why anyone equates the confederacy with the founding fathers. It's illogical and frankly stupid.

I'm not equatteing but some may use the fact that they also owned slaves to demand that those be removed also.

People can say what they want doesn't mean it has to happen. Also if a community wants to remove a Confederate symbol it should be up to that community. Not people from other parts of the country and NOT the president.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 borninblood60

@LJS9502_basic: I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Except we have had people like Vice voice those very things.. And now a Lincoln statue in Chicago was defaced, basically destroyed in which his entire front face was carved out.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Except we have had people like Vice voice those very things.. And now a Lincoln statue in Chicago was defaced, basically destroyed in which his entire front face was carved out.

What morons. Oh well, what do you expect from the left?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-59d151f079814

@n64dd said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I would be more comfortable in saying these are the actions of regressives, I identify as a liberal and voted liberal in the last election.. I am apart of the left.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By N64DD

@sSubZerOo said:
@n64dd said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:

I would be more comfortable in saying these are the actions of regressives, I identify as a liberal and voted liberal in the last election.. I am apart of the left.

Sounds like you're part of the problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@n64dd: I would argue this very mentality is the problem, the either with us or against us extreme thinking that has divided the country... This self righteous indignation on both sides that has destroyed any kind of nuance or room for open debate.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@n64dd: I would argue this very mentality is the problem, the either with us or against us extreme thinking that has divided the country... This self righteous indignation on both sides that has destroyed any kind of nuance or room for open debate.

"we are right, they are wrong. the arguments on this radio program cannot be broken"

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

The statues are part of our history for good or bad. They will ever remind us of a bad period in our history which they should. Six hundred thousand people died to end slavery. If we don't remember history we are destined to repeat it. We should focus on the future not some statue of a person that fought in a war one hundred sixty years ago. How does taking down a statue help someone improve their life? Four thousand people were shot in Chicago last year, mostly black. How taking down a statue help that. Instead of protesting a statue we should focus on solving the and healing the countries problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@JimB: what a load of shit.

The statues removed don't educate people on history, nor were they really a part of history (most confederate statues being built long after the civil war)

There are plenty of monuments to the civil war that don't celebrate racism and treason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@JimB said:

The statues are part of our history for good or bad. They will ever remind us of a bad period in our history which they should. Six hundred thousand people died to end slavery. If we don't remember history we are destined to repeat it. We should focus on the future not some statue of a person that fought in a war one hundred sixty years ago. How does taking down a statue help someone improve their life? Four thousand people were shot in Chicago last year, mostly black. How taking down a statue help that. Instead of protesting a statue we should focus on solving the and healing the countries problems.

lol the statues were put up long after the Civil War was over, precisely to intimidate black people. History has nothing to do with why those monuments of hatred are standng. There's a reason most of them went up during Jim Crow and the Civil Rights movement - as a middle finger to blacks, funded by Lost Cause whackos. You really don't know what you are talking about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:

Statues erected during the Civil Rights era you mean? I don't know about you but I crack a book....or website....to learn history. Not stare at statues.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Statues erected during the Civil Rights era you mean? I don't know about you but I crack a book....or website....to learn history. Not stare at statues.

Maybe if you censor history out, it won't exist.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

As usual you missed the point. You focus on a statue and forget the problems.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#117 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Ya, that is what the left want to do.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Maybe you should read the entire post. It's not that hard. I kept it easy for you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

See the above answer............it applies to you as well.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

I have a question for you. Why at this time is ti decided to take down the statues. Why didn't Obama do it while he was president?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I have a question for you. Why at this time is ti decided to take down the statues. Why didn't Obama do it while he was president?

Obama has nothing to do with it lol. All these statues and monuments are being taken down at the municipal and state level. They are fueled by anger and resentment to white supremacy and the people who are sympathetic to racist hatred like the current President.

Your question is ultimately pointless. The fact of the matter is these monuments to white supremacy and traitors are going down now and that's all that matters. Deal with it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

This has zero to do with the federal government and more to do with states/cities rights. Obama has nothing to do with this. Or are you as republican for small government not advocating local communities have a say in their communities? You cannot have it both ways. It makes you a hypocrite.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 JimB

It is only state rights when it serves your needs. Obama didn't think anything wrong with the statues or the Democrats who walked by them every day( since they were the ones who erected them). The real reason is a fight about freedom of speech. If the left can't control it they silence it. The left sends out their enforcers all covered in black and their faces covered. They are the modern day KKK.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JimB said:

It is only state rights when it serves your needs. Obama didn't think anything wrong with the statues or the Democrats who walked by them every day( since they were the ones who erected them). The real reason is a fight about freedom of speech. If the left can't control it they silence it. The left sends out their enforcers all covered in black and their faces covered. They are the modern day KKK.

You are a disgrace.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:

So we've learned today that you don't understand politics, government, state's rights, presidential authority, history of hate groups in the US....and more. Sad!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

If you mean the crack a book comment, then you should probably be aware of the state of the education system not to mention that ADFL did a survey , and almost 50% asked did not believe in the holocaust. and close to 40% thinks its highly exaggerated

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Let me wager a guess here, why it´s time now is because it´s the lefts response to Trump winning and while they can´t fight Trump they can fight symbols that they in the delusion think is representative.

It´s sad and it will just divide this country even more.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

what i do not understand is why people care so much that a statue remains? and don't give me that "history" bullshit. if that many people gave a shit about history the history channel wouldn't have to resort to the shit programming it now carries. people barely know history, let alone care about it.

stop with this myth that the elders all gather around a statue in a park somewhere with a group of eager students to teach the youth about their forebears.

it seems they care about it simply because someone they don't agree with politically is trying to remove it.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

So we've learned today that you don't understand politics, government, state's rights, presidential authority, history of hate groups in the US....and more. Sad!

What I have learned today is the reason the reason the Democrats want the Confederate statues taken down. The Democrats erected them and they are a symbol of their racist past. I understand the history of hate groups. The KKK was a terrorists enforcement arm of the DNC. It was conceived at a national Democratic convention. Nazi' are socialists, that is what the term stands for. I also know the protest groups supported by the left a called in to cause violence to prevent anyone from speaking that has a different view than them. The wear all black and cover their faces and lean communist. The Nazi's add communists are on the same side in their thinking. I understand States Rights that it is only applied when it suits a certain cause other than that the federal government mostly Democrats ignore the 10th Amendment.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 JimB

@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:

lol the statues were put up long after the Civil War was over, precisely to intimidate black people. History has nothing to do with why those monuments of hatred are standng. There's a reason most of them went up during Jim Crow and the Civil Rights movement - as a middle finger to blacks, funded by Lost Cause whackos. You really don't know what you are talking about.

Thank you for the information I was in error as to why they were put up. When I thought of Confederate statues I thought of Gettysburg.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Jacanuk

@comp_atkins: People care because the left cares , and because people have gone by them for decades without having a problem. (Sure some morons will always have a problem , but they are like the idiots in Hyde park who stand with a doomsday sign)

Oh and not forgetting that the left only have a problem because Trump won and they don´t know how to take a loss like that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 LJS9502_basic

@JimB: Democrats and Republicans flipped. Which is why I laugh when they strut around and call themselves the party of Lincoln. Only the name is the same. NOT the ideology. Unfortunately your party is espousing racism today. Which is more important than the past.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:

Thank you for the information I was in error as to why they were put up. When I thought of Confederate statues I thought of Gettysburg.

Gettsyburg WAS NOT in a Confederate state.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:

No, it isn't, it has Confederate statues, the only one I ever saw.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JimB: Democrats and Republicans flipped. Which is why I laugh when they strut around and call themselves the party of Lincoln. Only the name is the same. NOT the ideology. Unfortunately your party is espousing racism today. Which is more important than the past.

They flipped in the 1930 on the matters of taxes and the size of government not the treatment of minorities. The Democrats own the dastardly treatment of minorities by themselves. You can't escape that fact. In fact someone in the American Spectator wrote there today about what I have been posting for the last several days. About the statues and why the Democrats did not take them down and why they want them down now. You can't hide from the truth no matter how hard you try.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

They flipped in the 1930 on the matters of taxes and the size of government not the treatment of minorities. The Democrats own the dastardly treatment of minorities by themselves. You can't escape that fact. In fact someone in the American Spectator wrote there today about what I have been posting for the last several days. About the statues and why the Democrats did not take them down and why they want them down now. You can't hide from the truth no matter how hard you try.

They certainly flipped on the treatment of minorities.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Gettysburg is basically a big museum and therefore has both. They also do re-enactments of the battles.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Gettysburg is basically a big museum and therefore has both. They also do re-enactments of the battles.

You mean they did

Surely that has to end now like all the confederate things being removed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk: Can you give an example of a civil war memorial getting torn down recently?

Stop switching up confederate statues with anything war related. Its a blatant strawman.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You mean they did

Surely that has to end now like all the confederate things being removed.

Another lie.....no wonder you like trump.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Jacanuk

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk: Can you give an example of a civil war memorial getting torn down recently?

Stop switching up confederate statues with anything war related. Its a blatant strawman.

Well, first i would like to know how you distinguish between "civil war" memorial and "confederate"

Do you mean if i can find any example of any winning side statues? because of course i cant.

Also it´s hard to reenact something with only side allowed to play. After all the confederate would be there in uniform with the flags. which i'm sure will be barred now by you on the left.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LJS9502_basic
@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

Well, first i would like to know how you distinguish between "civil war" memorial and "confederate"

Do you mean if i can find any example of any winning side statues? because of course i cant.

Also it´s hard to reenact something with only side allowed to play. After all the confederate would be there in uniform with the flags. which i'm sure will be barred now by you on the left.

Most people........including the left aren't asking for statues to come down....so you're generalizations just lead you down the rabbit hole of wrong......again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk: its pretty simple to distinguish, are they honouring the people who fought and died, or the ideal the confederacy fought for. The former is fine, the latter is not.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk: its pretty simple to distinguish, are they honouring the people who fought and died, or the ideal the confederacy fought for. The former is fine, the latter is not.

Well, that is not what is being done.

Anything even remotely confederate is being moved, destroyed or put under black carpets.

Did you forget about the monument of the confederate soldier being destroyed that was to honour the people who fought and died.

Oh wait i forgot it was on the wrong side, so it should of course only be on the north side.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Did you forget about the monument of the confederate soldier being destroyed that was to honour the people who fought and died.

Oh wait i forgot it was on the wrong side, so it should of course only be on the north side.

People who fought and died for what?

Biscuits and gravy?

Dog ownership?

Or, The complete opposite of everything our nation is supposed to stand for? People who felt that equality in its most basic form was too much for them to handle and that secession from this idea was the only way forward.

People fight and die every single day, be it for political reasons, social, against illness, against family, against, friends, etc. This is nothing unique or new to the human condition, the question is: What are they fighting for? This is the reason why we honor people. So......... no, we don't need to honor people who felt that they cannot mentally handle having a black person equal to them in society. People who felt so strongly about this..... totalitarian idea, they died for it and hopefully many more totalitarians will die for it.

Good thing they didnt secede right? It simply would have been another dictatorship. Im sure youre incapable of understanding that though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@Jacanuk said:

People who fought and died for what?

Biscuits and gravy?

Dog ownership?

Or, The complete opposite of everything our nation is supposed to stand for? People who felt that equality in its most basic form was too much for them to handle and that secession from this idea was the only way forward.

People fight and die every single day, be it for political reasons, social, against illness, against family, against, friends, etc. This is nothing unique or new to the human condition, the question is: What are they fighting for? This is the reason why we honor people. So......... no, we don't need to honor people who felt that they cannot mentally handle having a black person equal to them in society. People who felt so strongly about this..... totalitarian idea, they died for it and hopefully many more totalitarians will die for it.

Good thing they didnt secede right? It simply would have been another dictatorship. Im sure youre incapable of understanding that though.

Just to set the record straight...it took a lot longer for people to espouse equality for black people. Don't change history on either side.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:

Just to set the record straight...it took a lot longer for people to espouse equality for black people. Don't change history on either side.

You always come up with these weird points to make and they are often off topic or pointless. In this case, both.

The topic is not when equal rights for blacks was reached. The topic is confederates and what they were fighting for and against and why we do not praise them.

Neither of us suggested anything that is a change or altering of history. Now id put money on the idea that he thinks the Civil war was about something other than or more than equal rights, but he did not address that idea and i did not respond to that idea and i certainly never suggested what you addressed.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 LJS9502_basic

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

@kod said:

You always come up with these weird points to make and they are often off topic or pointless. In this case, both.

The topic is not when equal rights for blacks was reached. The topic is confederates and what they were fighting for and against and why we do not praise them.

Neither of us suggested anything that is a change or altering of history. Now id put money on the idea that he thinks the Civil war was about something other than or more than equal rights, but he did not address that idea and i did not respond to that idea and i certainly never suggested what you addressed.

Reread your answer.....

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

@kod said:

Reread your answer.....

I dont need to, i know what i wrote. The topic was never when people espoused for equality or accomplished equality or anything other than what was being addressed. Which was confederates, what they stood for, what they fought against and why we do not honor or praise them.

Im not quite sure why you would say what you did as its incorrect, rather off topic or off the direct point and silly for you to pop in say. Especially.......... i was going to say "especially the last part", but really all of it since you don't have the absurdity of the last part without the first. Fact is i dont even like the first paragraph i wrote because of how poorly you worded your response, the fake points you made and how i had to respond to it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

@kod said:

Reread your answer.....

I dont need to, i know what i wrote. The topic was never when people espoused for equality or accomplished equality or anything other than what was being addressed. Which was confederates, what they stood for, what they fought against and why we do not honor or praise them.

Im not quite sure why you would say what you did as its incorrect, rather off topic or off the direct point and silly for you to pop in say. Especially.......... i was going to say "especially the last part", but really all of it since you don't have the absurdity of the last part without the first. Fact is i dont even like the first paragraph i wrote because of how poorly you worded your response, the fake points you made and how i had to respond to it.

*shrug* It's right there for everyone to read. Your post. If it's off topic then you veered that way.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

They certainly flipped on the treatment of minorities.

It never happened. The Democrats just changed how they mistreat the minorities. Instead of being slaves on plantations they are now slaves to the government. Democratic policies keep them in a state of poverty and will not change until they can break the cycle which has been going on for three generations.