As Jair Bolsanaro is sworn in, Guardian reminds us of endangered tribes in Brazil

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Guardian

On 1 January, Jair Bolsonaro will be sworn in as Brazil’s 38th president. He has expressed open disdain for the indigenous peoples of Brazil, and it is no exaggeration to say that some of the world’s most unique and diverse tribes are facing annihilation. Genocide is defined by the UN as “the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group”. Large-scale mass genocides rightly receive global attention, yet countless others go unreported and unpunished because the victims number only a few hundred, or even a few dozen.

Right now, deep in the Amazon rainforest, a small tribe of survivors is on the run. They are the Kawahiva, an uncontacted tribe of just a few dozen people, the victims of waves of horrific attacks which have pushed them to the brink of extinction. We know almost nothing about them, except that they are fleeing chainsaws in a region with the highest rate of deforestation in the Amazon. Brazil’s first ever investigation into the genocide of an uncontacted tribe was launched in 2005, and 29 people suspected of involvement in killing Kawahiva were detained but later released, including a former state governor and a senior policeman. The case stalled for lack of evidence.

The Kawahiva’s territory lies near the town of Colniza, one of the most violent areas in Brazil, where 90% of income is from illegal logging. Survival International, the global movement fighting for the rights of tribal people, has recently called for increased police protection for the team responsible for protecting the Kawahiva’s land. FUNAI, Brazil’s Indian Affairs Department, has been prevented from properly carrying out its work in the area due to violence from illegal loggers and ranchers, leaving the tribe exposed.

Preventing a genocide of uncontacted people is not a priority for Bolsonaro. He once said: “There is no indigenous territory where there aren’t minerals. Gold, tin and magnesium are in these lands, especially in the Amazon, the richest area in the world. I’m not getting into this nonsense of defending land for Indians.”

Indigenous peoples are frequently regarded as obstacles to the advance of agribusiness, extractive industries, roads and dams. As more rainforest is invaded and destroyed in the name of economic “progress” and personal profit, uncontacted tribes become targets – massacred over resources because greedy outsiders know they can literally get away with murder. These are silent, invisible genocides, with few if any witnesses. The news often only emerges months, if not years, later.

The UN convention on genocide came into force 70 years ago, yet entire tribes continue to be exterminated by the dominant society in order to steal their land and resources. Symbolic of this is the “last of his tribe”, a lone man living in a patch of forest in Brazil’s western Amazon region. We know nothing about him except that he rejects all contact, and survived waves of attacks carried out in the 1970s and 80s against his people and his neighbours, the Akuntsu tribe – of whom just four survive. No one has ever been prosecuted for these genocides. This impervious mentality harks back to the wild west of the 18th and 19th centuries, when Native Americans in the US were slaughtered by the colonists. Indeed, Bolsonaro himself has declared: “It’s a shame that the Brazilian cavalry wasn’t as efficient as the Americans, who exterminated the Indians.”

The majority of the world’s 100 or so uncontacted tribes live in the Brazilian Amazon. They are aware of the outside world, use and adapt outside goods for their own purposes and may engage sporadically with contacted tribes nearby. Their hunter-gatherer lifestyles require vast and acute botanical and zoological knowledge. With this unique understanding of sustainable living, they protect some of the largest and most biodiverse forests on Earth.

Uncontacted people make homes, love their families, tend the landscape, and, like any of us, want to live well and in peace. Where their rights are respected they continue to thrive, but all face catastrophe unless their land is protected.

The largest area of primary rainforest under indigenous control is the Yanomami territory, which straddles part of the Brazilian border with Venezuela. It is home to around 32,000 Yanomami, including some groups who are uncontacted. A “epidemic” of goldminers have illegally invaded the territory to pillage its riches, bringing disease and death to the tribe.

In May, Yanomami reported that two uncontacted members of the tribe had been murdered by miners. FUNAI had closed its protection post in the area due to a lack of funds and, while prosecutors have ordered the post to be reopened, the authorities have not yet investigated the killings.

Bolsonaro opposed the creation of the Yanomami territory in the 1980s, calling it a “crime against the motherland”, and a “scandal”. He affirmed his beliefs in 2017, saying he regarded the creation of the reserve as “high treason”, and there are murmurs that this is an area already in the crosshairs of the new administration.

Bolsonaro intends to take FUNAI out of the justice ministry and into a newly created ministry for women, family and human rights. This is a move sure to weaken the department’s efficacy and clout – it has already been undermined by huge budget cuts. Bolsonaro has appointed Damares Alves as the new minister, an evangelical preacher and congressional aide who co-founded Atini, a controversial group that evangelises in indigenous communities and is subject to an investigation by public prosecutors for inciting racial hatred against indigenous peoples.

After her appointment, she immediately questioned Brazil’s landmark policy to respect uncontacted tribes’ choice to remain uncontacted: “We are going to bring them to the forefront, not because they are uncontacted, but because they are forgotten and left to the care of NGOs. It is the state which will take care of these uncontacted people.” This is Bolsonaro-speak for forcing contact in order to open up and plunder their lands. Bolsonaro’s transition team has already announced that a task force will review the boundaries of a large indigenous territory in the northern Amazon, Raposa-Serra do Sol.

“We are afraid of a new genocide against the indigenous population and we are not going to wait for it to happen. We will resist. We will defend our territories, and our lives,” said Sônia Guajajara, a leader of Articulação dos Povos Indígenas do Brasil, which represents more than 300 Brazilian indigenous peoples.

Tribes are mobilising themselves to protect their territories using satellite technology and drones to monitor invasions. In the Araribóia reserve in Maranhão state, a group of men from the same tribe as Sônia, the Guajajara, have embarked on a desperate struggle to protect the forests they share with several dozen uncontacted Awá. A spokesman from these “Guardians of the Amazon” explains: “Our forest is being invaded by illegal loggers, right now. It’s an emergency. We patrol, we find the loggers, we destroy their equipment and we send them away. We constantly receive death threats from the logging gangs. But we continue, as our forest is our life. Our uncontacted Awá relatives also live in the forest. They cannot survive if it’s destroyed. As long as we live, we will fight for the uncontacted Indians, for all of us, and for nature.”

Solidarity with the indigenous peoples of Brazil can change the world in their favour. Survival International was founded 50 years ago, following the publication of Norman Lewis’s article Genocide in the Sunday Times in 1969, which revealed some of the atrocities suffered by Brazil’s indigenous peoples last century. We are the only organisation fighting worldwide to stop the extermination of uncontacted tribes. Now, more than ever, we must mobilise our collective power to expose and put an end to these hidden genocides.

On Twitter, there's already DC that it would've happened with Bolsanaro's political rivals (and somehow not Bolsanaro himself, which I refuse to believe), and to that I say, it doesn't matter. Bolsnaro has shown to be a scary enough man to put Brazil in a further hole than it's already in.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Does he hate the tribes in Amazon forrest, or just loving profits to much?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

He is just a tool for the rich elites. I still cannot understand why his voters insist on believing he is anything else.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

At what point does the world step in and say "enough"? I know that's a tad icky, but, you know, that forest belongs to the world too. Especially the whole air-cleaning and oxygen-producing part of it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

At what point does the world step in and say "enough"? I know that's a tad icky, but, you know, that forest belongs to the world too. Especially the whole air-cleaning and oxygen-producing part of it.

"Step in"? What exactly are you suggesting?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@Master_Live said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm suggesting this single-world-government all the conspiracy folk speak of take their secret army of genetically-modified super-soldier-sayans and invade Brazil, obviously. Paid for with Jewish gold, of course. And powered by virgin sacrifices performed by the subterranean lizardfolk.

No, I kid. What I am saying is that if they are going to be reckless with this deforestation, then we sanction the shit out of them. Or do whatever it is the international community does to countries when they need a "time out".

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

So is he actually going to cut down the whole forest?

I haven't seen this guy in action so I have nothing much to say. He has a big mouth like trump. But can he deliver?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

One may think of the Amazon's as belonging to the world but when it comes down to it it belongs to Brazil. Unilateral sanctions by the US are highly unlikely under the current administration.

At the UN level while there may be some sympathy toward halting this practice, violation of sovereignty of this kind is something that even countries like the UK and France (among veto holders) would be wary of, let alone the US, China and Russia. Basically, you step in now in the name of climate change and where does it stop? It is Pandora's box.

That isn't to say that the world community shouldn't pressure him and shame him into being judicious with whatever big steps he intends to take regarding the Amazon.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

No, I kid. What I am saying is that if they are going to be reckless with this deforestation, then we sanction the shit out of them. Or do whatever it is the international community does to countries when they need a "time out".

Just drop some freedom bombs, that always seems to work.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@Damedius said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Just drop some freedom bombs, that always seems to work.

OK, but only if they're filled with democracy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Are you really asking when the world goes in and "do" something about a democratically elected leader because he happens too not be on the left?

Holy shit the far-left has really gone of the rails here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@horgen said:Does he hate the tribes in Amazon forrest, or just loving profits to much?

both, probably. I have no idea I'm just guessing lol

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

There is already people living there. Don't they deserve their home?

@watercrack445 said:

@horgen said:Does he hate the tribes in Amazon forrest, or just loving profits to much?

Your guess is as good as mine.

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Are you really asking when the world goes in and "do" something about a democratically elected leader because he happens too not be on the left?

What about the people living in the forest? Or are they out of luck because they can't lawyer up?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@watercrack445 said:

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

What about the people living in the forest? Or are they out of luck because they can't lawyer up?

Lawyer up? If the Brazilian government decides that foresting is ok, then who or what law is going to say they cant?

It sounds like you guys forget that this is a sovereign country who by a democratic election have chosen a specific direction by electing this man for president.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Lawyer up? If the Brazilian government decides that foresting is ok, then who or what law is going to say they cant?

It sounds like you guys forget that this is a sovereign country who by a democratic election have chosen a specific direction by electing this man for president.

It sounds like you forgot that tribes lives in this forrest.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not really.

Which country does the forest belong to? unless these tribes have formed their own nation and have been granted independence from Brazil, they are still under the jurisdiction of the Brazilian government.

You may not like what the Brazilian government does, but they are a sovereign country just like Norway is.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Dude's living out in the boonies by himself, he must be depressed. I'd hate to be the last of my people. You can't much more depressed than that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Not what I am saying at all lol. Why did I have a feeling that would be taken out of context. Then again it wouldn't be the first time the US government has done what you thought I said, left or right, so no fault there I suppose haha.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@watercrack445 said:

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

International law, maybe?

Last time I checked, if genocide, war crimes, and/or crimes against humanity are being performed, there are actions the world can take on the offending state.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not really.

Which country does the forest belong to? unless these tribes have formed their own nation and have been granted independence from Brazil, they are still under the jurisdiction of the Brazilian government.

You may not like what the Brazilian government does, but they are a sovereign country just like Norway is.

Do these tribes even know they live in a country called Brazil? I know Brazil can legally (if not already, change the laws so it becomes legal) get rid of that forest.

Performing genocide on the other hand... I guess we should just turn a blind eye to that as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

No he just doesn't care.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

Do these tribes even know they live in a country called Brazil? I know Brazil can legally (if not already, change the laws so it becomes legal) get rid of that forest.

Performing genocide on the other hand... I guess we should just turn a blind eye to that as well.

Well, not really interesting what they know. Fact is that Brazil owns that land and cutting down the forest is their right. Same as Norway have the right to drill for oil.

And there is no genocide being performed, these people have no legal rights in Brazil to the land so it´s just tough luck.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Last time I checked, if genocide, war crimes, and/or crimes against humanity are being performed, there are actions the world can take on the offending state.

But Brazil is not killing them, they are just using the resources their land provides, again the west may not like it but it´s no more our right to tell Brazil what they can do then it is for anyone to tell America what to do.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

But Brazil is not killing them, they are just using the resources their land provides, again the west may not like it but it´s no more our right to tell Brazil what they can do then it is for anyone to tell America what to do.

Fair enough, I'm just asking "at what point". When the lumber companies start hiring mercenaries to shoot the indigenous people? When they're all sick and dying from exposure to illness?

From what I've read, it sounds like all the above and more, is already occurring. And I'm not some bleeding heart I know we need trees for resources and land for grazing and that's all well and good, but as I said, what's the limit? At what cost?

I totally respect autonomy for the most part, but there's a limit to that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair enough, I'm just asking "at what point". When the lumber companies start hiring mercenaries to shoot the indigenous people? When they're all sick and dying from exposure to illness?

From what I've read, it sounds like all the above and more, is already occurring. And I'm not some bleeding heart I know we need trees for resources and land for grazing and that's all well and good, but as I said, what's the limit? At what cost?

I totally respect autonomy for the most part, but there's a limit to that.

I do agree that if lumber companies are hiring mercenaries to move/kill the tribes, then there is a problem and the world should respond with the only ways they can, IE sanctions against that company and Brazil if the Brazilian government does not intervene.

It´s different though if the lumber companies are hiring guards to protect their employees and operation, then it´s not good and the Brazilan government should be the ones dealing with the tribes but that is an internal problem.

NattyDaddy604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By NattyDaddy604
Member since 2019 • 304 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Master_Live said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm suggesting this single-world-government all the conspiracy folk speak of take their secret army of genetically-modified super-soldier-sayans and invade Brazil, obviously. Paid for with Jewish gold, of course. And powered by virgin sacrifices performed by the subterranean lizardfolk.

Read the talmud, considered to be the holiest book by jews and let me know what they think of you.

You also probably think its a mere coincidence jews control the worlds media

http://tapnewswire.com/2015/10/six-jewish-companies-control-96-of-the-worlds-media/

Were also the ones behind the bolshevik revolution

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v14/v14n1p-4_Weber.html

Karl Marx, creator of the communist manifesto, coincidentally, was a jew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx

Please give me your explanation on these coincidences :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

@nattydaddy604 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Master_Live said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Read the talmud, considered to be the holiest book by jews and let me know what they think of you.

http://tapnewswire.com/2015/10/six-jewish-companies-control-96-of-the-worlds-media/

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Trump's America: where it's OK to be an open bigot.

NattyDaddy604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 NattyDaddy604
Member since 2019 • 304 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@nattydaddy604 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Master_Live said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Trump's America: where it's OK to be an open bigot.

Nice explanation shill. I give you multiple links with multiple resources PROVING what I have stated and you're only rebuttal is an attempt to insult (and an absolutely pathetic one too).

Not an American either btw, so you're labeling "Trumps America" does not apply to me.

I left my home country because of America tearing it apart, and which they continue to do today as they watch Israel DESTROY Palestine, Iran, and other parts of the Middle East.

Definition of Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Sorry buddy, I have no tolerance towards those that want to destroy the ethnic heritage of Europeans, and eventually, all the other unique african/asian ethnicities of the world.

https://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/the-coudenhove-kalergi-plan-the-key-to-understand-the-mass-immigration-crisis-in-europe/

European Union, North American Union(not yet, but may eventually happen), NATO. These were established to destabilize nations, and prevent the rights of sovereignty and self preservation.

I have no ill will to any people, But I will put my people/culture first.

So are you going to give me a proper rebuttal refuting everything I have said in this post (and the previous one ), or are you going to continue giving me mean titles? :'(