Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

The Hill

An Arizona woman said a pharmacist refused to give her a miscarriage prescription, citing his “moral objection.”

Nicole Arteaga, 35, said she received the heartbreaking news that she was miscarrying during her 10-week checkup, The Arizona Republic reportedSaturday.

A doctor prescribed her with medication to terminate the pregnancy, as the baby’s development had stopped and there was no heartbeat.

When Arteaga went to a Peoria, Ariz., Walgreens to pick up the prescription, the pharmacist refused to fill her medication for her, she said.

“I didn't want to need those pills," Arteaga said, according to the news outlet. "This is not how I wanted my pregnancy to go, but this is my situation."

The pharmacist said he wouldn’t give her the pills because of his ethical beliefs, Arteaga said.

He instructed her to come back the next day or go to another pharmacy, despite the fact that there were other employees working behind the counter, the newspaper reported.

Her husband returned to the store on her behalf and was reportedly met with the same resistance.

“His mind was pretty much made up,” Arteaga said of the pharmacist. “I tried to explain to him. I have to take this medication because it is an undeveloping fetus inside of me and he still refused, standing there silent and looking at me.”

Pharmacists are allowed under company policy to walk away from filling a prescription if they have a moral objection, Walgreens said in a statement on Saturday, according to the news outlet.

Employees are required, however, to have another pharmacist or manager handle the prescription so that the patient’s needs are met “in a timely manner.”

A Walgreens representative said they reached out to Arteaga to apologize but she told The Arizona Republic she only heard from the Peoria store manager after she complained.

Arteaga wrote about the experience in a Facebook post on Friday night and received an outpouring of support.

The post had been shared more than 28,500 times as of Sunday afternoon.

“I don't have control over my body and I don’t have control of the situation," Arteaga said.

Welcome to the post-Christian baker era. Though I think THIS is worse. MUCH worse. Due to the fact that this about a woman's health, where the former was about a wedding cake for a gay couple.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

So why did he become a pharmacist if he refuses to do his job, and help people? Seems like he's in the wrong line of work.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Ok folks, let's all get a grip. Denying cakes to gays and denying a restaurant table to Huckabee-Sanders is one thing; denying potentially life-saving medication (or any medication) on "moral" grounds is another.

This pharmacist should be fired, if not imprisoned.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Being a pharmacist and refusing to sell/give a prescribed medication because of one's Pro-life "moral beliefs" is silly.

Being one when the fetus is dead is just sheer stupidity.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

That is unprofessional. He should lose his license. Maybe he can go into preaching.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

Welcome to the post-Christian baker era. Though I think THIS is worse. MUCH worse. Due to the fact that this about a woman's health, where the former was about a wedding cake for a gay couple.

Welcome to a policy Walgreens have had way before the baker-case even was a case.

So do not see a problem, they have an employee policy and the policy states they can refuse and refer them to a manager or other employee. So right now all we have is this lady´s word for that there was a manager and other employees there who had the time to fill it.

But I do see the spin here, so nice try.

Also, this is funny coming now when another person was worshipped for refusing service at a restaurant to a person for no other reason than a political disagreement. You can´t eat the cake and have it at the same Democrats.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

Welcome to a policy Walgreens

Pharmacists are allowed under company policy to walk away from filling a prescription if they have a moral objection, Walgreens said in a statement on Saturday, according to the news outlet.

Employees are required, however, to have another pharmacist or manager handle the prescription so that the patient’s needs are met “in a timely manner.”

He instructed her to come back the next day or go to another pharmacy, despite the fact that there were other employees working behind the counter, the newspaper reported.

A Walgreens representative said they reached out to Arteaga to apologize

Durr hurrr.

What with Trump fans being so god damn stupid.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

Welcome to a policy Walgreens

A Walgreens representative said they reached out to Arteaga to apologize

Durr hurrr.

Nice quote sniping there.

I guess when you have no real valid argument, that is a strategy you can use.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

As a former Walgreens manager, I can say the pharmacist had this right. But if he knew what the medicine was actually prescribed for(a miscarriage, not abortion), he wouldn't of had a problem selling it. He's also protected by state law. It's a big misunderstanding and unfortunate for this lady. Also, there's almost always 2 pharmacist on duty at every Walgreens I've worked at, unless this occurred at an overnight pharmacy. Not sure why she'd have to drive 20 minutes away. But, this isn't a Trump thing... It was a policy put in place by Walgreens at least 10 years ago to protect their pharmacist, and is also a state law allowing pharmacist to refuse the sale of any medicine on religious grounds. Yeah, it's stupid to be in that field if you feel that strongly against it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@zaryia: How does this have anything to do with Trump? You're climbing up the stupid ladder pretty quick as of late.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

ffs can we just stop it with using religion as a shield for being an asshole already?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@vfighter said:

@zaryia: How does this have anything to do with Trump? You're climbing up the stupid ladder pretty quick as of late.

It doesn't, it had to do with the poster. Context, you buffoon.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@zaryia: And yet it still doesn't matter and you're still high up on that ladder.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Conservatives hate women and would turn America into the Handmaid's Tale if given the opportunity. News at 11.

Oh and Arizona is a shithole. Who the **** would want to live in like 115 degree heat surround by angry hateful conservatives?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@comp_atkins said:

ffs can we just stop it with using religion as a shield for being an asshole already?

This, and what people do with their medication is none of anyone's goddamned business, and what women do with their bodies is none of anyone's goddamned business. This situation perfectly illustrates what being pro-choice is all about. It's not about giving women license to slaughter babies or whatever BS line the right wants to throw out there. It's about recognizing that pregnancy is a complicated endeavor with few moral black lines and that the best person to make decisions about how that pregnancy progresses is the mother herself. This woman wanted to carry the pregnancy to term, lost the fetus, and was carrying a dead clump of cells inside her body. That's effing traumatic, and to then be told by some jerkoff pharmacist that she can't be served with a prescription that a doctor wrote for her because the pharmacist, who knows jack about why the woman is getting the prescription in the first place, thinks what she's doing is immoral? Every single part of this is completely ****ed.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Well that's the main difference between conservative and liberal snowflakes. The liberal gets upset when people are being assholes and the conservative gets upset when they're not allowed to be an asshole sans consequence.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Was under the impression Pharmacists should have a pretty firm understanding of how biology works. Guess that's not always the case.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

Welcome to a policy Walgreens have had way before the baker-case even was a case.

So do not see a problem, they have an employee policy and the policy states they can refuse and refer them to a manager or other employee. So right now all we have is this lady´s word for that there was a manager and other employees there who had the time to fill it.

But I do see the spin here, so nice try.

Also, this is funny coming now when another person was worshipped for refusing service at a restaurant to a person for no other reason than a political disagreement. You can´t eat the cake and have it at the same Democrats.

Nice spin there. Does Bill O'Reilly speak to you while you sleep? If so, you do realize he's a little grabby, right? lol

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Imprisoned based on what charges?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Ummm. Being a....being a dick! Yeah!

I'm not sure what charges exactly, but I'd argue when you deny someone medical attention/medication, you are putting their life in jeopardy and/or causing them harm.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Ummm. Being a....being a dick! Yeah!

I'm not sure what charges exactly, but I'd argue when you deny someone medical attention/medication, you are putting their life in jeopardy and/or causing them harm.

Apparently the law favors him.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

As a former Walgreens manager, I can say the pharmacist had this right. But if he knew what the medicine was actually prescribed for(a miscarriage, not abortion), he wouldn't of had a problem selling it. He's also protected by state law. It's a big misunderstanding and unfortunate for this lady. Also, there's almost always 2 pharmacist on duty at every Walgreens I've worked at, unless this occurred at an overnight pharmacy. Not sure why she'd have to drive 20 minutes away. But, this isn't a Trump thing... It was a policy put in place by Walgreens at least 10 years ago to protect their pharmacist, and is also a state law allowing pharmacist to refuse the sale of any medicine on religious grounds. Yeah, it's stupid to be in that field if you feel that strongly against it.

Agreed it probably was a misunderstanding, and he has the right not to do business with them, its like people forget (or want to change) that businesses can choose who they can do business with theres other chemist. if Arizona is anything like here theres another chemist 2 minutes away.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@npiet1: They also forget that those other employees behind the counter are not pharmacist. They cannot sell the prescription without the pharmacist approval. They have been doing budget cuts here in the U.S., so maybe only one pharmacist was on duty at the time. Also, most managers like I was, do not have a pharm degree. We were only required to be certified pharmacy techs for store managers, and only basic knowledge of pharmacy for assistant managers. It always irritated me and then made me laugh that people thought Walgreens was some public tax paid store and that they were entitled to shop there.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@npiet1: They also forget that those other employees behind the counter are not pharmacist. They cannot sell the prescription without the pharmacist approval. They have been doing budget cuts here in the U.S., so maybe only one pharmacist was on duty at the time. Also, most managers like I was, do not have a pharm degree. We were only required to be certified pharmacy techs for store managers, and only basic knowledge of pharmacy for assistant managers. It always irritated me and then made me laugh that people thought Walgreens was some public tax paid store and that they were entitled to shop there.

Its the same here in Australia, I've known a few who think pharmacy is just a 6 week course

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@Jacanuk: dude, no one would die if some one refuse service to someone in a restaurant. ..but some one would die if some is refuse service in a pharmacy.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@Solaryellow: placing a person's life in danger

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

@npiet1 said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Its the same here in Australia, I've known a few who think pharmacy is just a 6 week course

Oh yeah, they’re treated like shit there. I feel sorry for my friends. I went to school there to get my degree but I left asap when I finished.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@dreman999 said:

@Jacanuk: dude, no one would die if some one refuse service to someone in a restaurant. ..but some one would die if some is refuse service in a pharmacy.

I think if someone is in such dire straits they'd be in the hospital.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacanuk

@dreman999 said:

Way to go overboard.

Denying service is denying service, you can´t have it both ways.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Seems like that pharmacist needs to update his information on what he is selling is for.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Jacanuk: I don't think many want to see Sarah blocked from accessing goods or services. I, for one, would love to see her walk into any establishment, be courteously waited on, and allowed to enjoy what she purchased in peace.

The difference is I want anyone to be able to do so. If we create a playing field where people can deny others that ability due to deeply held beliefs, I don't see how people can object to doing so for the enablers of that policy due to their deeply held beliefs that those people are really *****y people.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Why take a job where you may not agree with the medicine you are being told to give people through a prescription? It makes no sense.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: I don't think many want to see Sarah blocked from accessing goods or services. I, for one, would love to see her walk into any establishment, be courteously waited on, and allowed to enjoy what she purchased in peace.

The difference is I want anyone to be able to do so. If we create a playing field where people can deny others that ability due to deeply held beliefs, I don't see how people can object to doing so for the enablers of that policy due to their deeply held beliefs that those people are really *****y people.

Well, here we have our key difference.

My problem is not that Sanders was asked to leave, in fact I think it´s within the rights of the business owner to do so, the problem is the hypocrisy shown, if you want the right to see Sanders to the door based on arbitrary reasons, then you should also respect and give the same right to people you disagree with, Like the Baker.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@dreman999 said:

Way to go overboard.

Interestingly enough, there is difference between Spaghetti Bolognese and Prescribed medication.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@dreman999 said:

Way to go overboard.

Interestingly enough, there is difference between Spaghetti Bolognese and Prescribed medication.

And no one is denying actual medicine. This is about abortion medication and funny enough, that rarely leads to death when the person is standing in line at the drugstore.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@dreman999 said:

Way to go overboard.

And no one is denying actual medicine. This is about abortion medication and funny enough, that rarely leads to death when the person is standing in line at the drugstore.

Unless the undeveloped dead fetus begins to decompose and rot within the womb, with the bacterial blend then being absorbed into the body and enters one's bloodstream. Causing a larger health risk.
But hey, I guess you and the pharmacist know better then the doctor who prescribed the medicine.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@dreman999 said:

Way to go overboard.

Unless the undeveloped dead fetus begins to decompose and rot within the womb, with the bacterial blend then being absorbed into the body and enters one's bloodstream. Causing a larger health risk.

But hey, I guess you and the pharmacist know better then the doctor who prescribed the medicine.

And again all this person have to do is ask for a manager or another clerk. Or travel 10min to another pharmacy.

Religion is a protected class, and until the constitution is changed, well you can´t eat the cake and have it too.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:

Way to go overboard.

And again all this person have to do is ask for a manager or another clerk. Or travel 10min to another pharmacy.

Religion is a protected class, and until the constitution is changed, well you can´t eat the cake and have it too.

Unless you're the pharmacist.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

@Treflis: Having their religion respected is not "eating the cake and having it too"

It´s no different then what you want for the LGBT community. (with the key exception that sexuality is not a protected class under the constitution)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Jacanuk: I'm rather confident they'd happily trade it. In the meantime, this is the playing field.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:

@Treflis: Having their religion respected is not "eating the cake and having it too"

It´s no different then what you want for the LGBT community. (with the key exception that sexuality is not a protected class under the constitution)

Was thinking more about how they can refuse service because of their own belief and still cash in a check for a job well done.
Frankly, If your religion prevents you from doing an aspect of your job then you should find a different job where it doesn't. Otherwise I could cost an Oil rig project millions a day and likely several people their jobs by refusing to ship out required parts cause I feel that it harms "mother earth" and nobody could say anything.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:

Was thinking more about how they can refuse service because of their own belief and still cash in a check for a job well done.

Frankly, If your religion prevents you from doing an aspect of your job then you should find a different job where it doesn't. Otherwise I could cost an Oil rig project millions a day and likely several people their jobs by refusing to ship out required parts cause I feel that it harms "mother earth" and nobody could say anything.

Well, they can do that because the company have a policy that allows them to do so.

So if you want to blame someone, blame Walgreens, not the employees who clearly follow company policy. So do not get the "find another job" well clearly they shouldn´t because the company agrees with them and they have a policy that allows them to work and respect their religion.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Treflis

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:

Well, they can do that because the company have a policy that allows them to do so.

So if you want to blame someone, blame Walgreens, not the employees who clearly follow company policy. So do not get the "find another job" well clearly they shouldn´t because the company agrees with them and they have a policy that allows them to work and respect their religion.

Well then the company is to blame, Frankly I find it odd to have a policy in place where clerks can turn away customers based on their own belief. But I guess I'm just more pragmatic when it comes to economics that way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jacanuk

@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:
@Jacanuk said:

Well then the company is to blame, Frankly I find it odd to have a policy in place where clerks can turn away customers based on their own belief. But I guess I'm just more pragmatic when it comes to economics that way.

Ya, turning customers away is not a very sound business idea. But the policy does state that the employee has to refer the customer to a manager or another clerk.

So why that didn´t happen is unknown and all we have to go on is an article that has no credible source as to why that it did not happen.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'm assuming that Walgreens probably has a procedure in place to cover scenarios like this, so what went wrong and who is to blame on their end?

This is ignoring that religious fuckwads like these shouldn't even be working in their field if these reservations exist. I'd outright fire anyone working under me that dictated when/how they would do the job we're paying them to do.