Arizona Starbucks under fire for asking police officers to leave the premises - have since apologized for the incident

• 70 results
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36794 Posts

NPR

Starbucks has issued an apology after an employee asked a group of six police officers in Tempe, Ariz. to either leave one of its stores or move out of the line of sight of a customer. The officers say a barista told them the customer didn't feel safe with police nearby.

The Tempe Officers Association, the police union, posted a statement about the July 4th incident on its Facebook page, saying that "the officers paid for their drinks and stood together having a cup of coffee. They were approached by a barista, who knew one of the officers by name, because he is a regular at that location.

"The barista said that a customer 'did not feel safe' because of the police presence. The barista asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave.

"Disappointed, the officers did in fact leave."

The group posted an image with the words "DUMP STARBUCKS" to Facebook and Twitter, and the hashtag #DumpStarbucks began trending. In its own statement, the Tempe Police Department said it hoped that this was an "isolated incident."

Starbucks apologized to the Tempe Police Department on Sunday after meeting with the police chief, Sylvia Moir.

"When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead, they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable," Rossann Williams, the company's executive vice president, wrote.

Williams said she would be in Tempe on Sunday.

In 2018, police arrested two Black men in a Starbucks in Philadelphia while they waited in a store without ordering. The company closed thousands of its stores last year to hold racial bias training after the incident.

While many on social media wrote that they'd boycott Starbucks in response to the incident, others countered that the officers should consider how shootings involving police officers might make a customer feel uncomfortable around them. Shootings involving law enforcement reached a record high in 2018 in Maricopa County, which includes Tempe, according to The Arizona Republic. And earlier this year, a a 14-year-old boy was shot and killed by a Tempe police officer. The police said the boy had burglarized a truck and was running away with a weapon he'd stolen from the vehicle.

Yeah, this is kind of unfair to those police officers. But unfortunately, it also goes to show how low Americans trust the police these days, especially in certain states.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 19322 Posts

What an absolute terrible barista and he should definitely lose his job over this.

But typical leftist, they want to be protected when they need it and when they don´t they are against the very same individuals who serve and protect the community.

And this is how these police officers should be treated.

"When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead, they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable," Rossann Williams, the company's executive vice president,

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 11039 Posts

Then the person who doesn't feel comfortable can leave. Cops are paying customers like anyone else.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joebones5000
Member since 2016 • 2909 Posts

I assume police are more corrupt in backwards red states like AZ.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24937 Posts

Loitering is loitering, doesn't matter who does it.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1391 Posts

If I was cops, I'd think something fishy, like dude has drugs on him and shooting up in the bathroom. I'm surprised this story isn't about cops beating some dumb shit's ass acting like a weirdo.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
@Willy105 said:

Loitering is loitering, doesn't matter who does it.

EH?

But can you explain your logical conclusion as to why this is Loitering or did you just pick a random word you heard?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 942 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

What an absolute terrible barista and he should definitely lose his job over this.

But typical leftist, they want to be protected when they need it and when they don´t they are against the very same individuals who serve and protect the community.

"When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead, they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable," Rossann Williams, the company's executive vice president,

I thought the right wanted a world where you could refuse business to whoever you wanted?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk
@heathen75 said:

I thought the right wanted a world where you could refuse business to whoever you wanted?

Funny guy :) you should go to an open mic night with this routine.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 17670 Posts

@heathen75: Not when it affects them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacanuk
@mattbbpl said:

So the police is right? Good to know

And here I thought the cops were neutral and everyone should value their service

But I guess not.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5281 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

NPR

Starbucks has issued an apology after an employee asked a group of six police officers in Tempe, Ariz. to either leave one of its stores or move out of the line of sight of a customer. The officers say a barista told them the customer didn't feel safe with police nearby.

The Tempe Officers Association, the police union, posted a statement about the July 4th incident on its Facebook page, saying that "the officers paid for their drinks and stood together having a cup of coffee. They were approached by a barista, who knew one of the officers by name, because he is a regular at that location.

"The barista said that a customer 'did not feel safe' because of the police presence. The barista asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave.

"Disappointed, the officers did in fact leave."

The group posted an image with the words "DUMP STARBUCKS" to Facebook and Twitter, and the hashtag #DumpStarbucks began trending. In its own statement, the Tempe Police Department said it hoped that this was an "isolated incident."

Starbucks apologized to the Tempe Police Department on Sunday after meeting with the police chief, Sylvia Moir.

"When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead, they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable," Rossann Williams, the company's executive vice president, wrote.

Williams said she would be in Tempe on Sunday.

In 2018, police arrested two Black men in a Starbucks in Philadelphia while they waited in a store without ordering. The company closed thousands of its stores last year to hold racial bias training after the incident.

While many on social media wrote that they'd boycott Starbucks in response to the incident, others countered that the officers should consider how shootings involving police officers might make a customer feel uncomfortable around them. Shootings involving law enforcement reached a record high in 2018 in Maricopa County, which includes Tempe, according to The Arizona Republic. And earlier this year, a a 14-year-old boy was shot and killed by a Tempe police officer. The police said the boy had burglarized a truck and was running away with a weapon he'd stolen from the vehicle.

Yeah, this is kind of unfair to those police officers. But unfortunately, it also goes to show how low Americans trust the police these days, especially in certain states.

Using your own way of phrasing things, would you say how low Americans trust blacks either? Will thousands of stores close for training due to this incident as well? The "rationale" of why the customer didn't feel safe was pathetic and I don't think a large number of people share his/her opinions of police.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13687 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

That's a bit harsh regarding someone who would have to disappoint a customer irregardless of what option he chose.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HEATHEN75

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

So the police is right? Good to know

And here I thought the cops were neutral and everyone should value their service

But I guess not.

Who said anything about the police being on the right (most of them are though)? Your post history definitely puts you on the right though. Every thing I have seen from the right has been all about businesses should be able to refuse anyone the want. Isn't this the world that you wanted?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow

Starbucks needs to be consistent with how the company deals with situations like this one and others.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3565 Posts
Loading Video...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 34258 Posts

Personally I think this was a bad call, but then again I'm a white man. If I was a person of color (no idea what race the customer who complained was) I might not feel safe around people who are part of a group that has a penchant for killing people like myself with little to no cause.

I'm sure people will get pissed at me for saying that, but that's a problem in this country, and as long as it is we can't expect everyone to rest easy around police officers.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow

Little to no cause? Are you for real?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 34258 Posts

@Solaryellow Seems like Gamespot is severely messing up for me today as there is no more reply or quote buttons. Or maybe they tried to ban me and it partially failed. I'll work with it until it's fixed. Anyways, yeah, little to no cause happens more often than it should. Here's an example

Loading Video...

I can post instances where people actually die if you need me to, but I'd rather not do so.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl  Online

@Jacanuk

"And here I thought the cops were neutral"

LOL

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 45451 Posts

There's really only two types of folks afraid of the police - criminals and the naive.

A local Starbucks showing a lack of tact isn't exactly representative of the huge stores in the country. If only corporate would be more wise to allow their Californian stores not to be overrun with transients.

Nuck81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Nuck81
Member since 2005 • 7918 Posts

Itt a bunch of white conservatives talk about how poc should think and act around the police.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Solaryellow

@Serraph105 I thought it was just me w/o any option to quote and reply and oddly enough my first reaction was wondering if I earned a ban hammer. Your "little to no cause" is extreme hyperbole as a genuine and honest conversation about blacks and police would be decidedly opposite but I understand what path the narrative is supposed to follow. Misguidance happens......on an extremely low level.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

nuck, the only people i see telling "people of color" how they should think and act, are white, privileged, upper middle class suburban kids making up the vast majority of SJW in the country.. go watch what they did, how they treated, and why they called candice owens for daring to think in a way different than what those white leftwing radicals have determined black people should think

given they openly support the party of the klan, jim crow laws, segregation, who opposed emancipation, its not surprising

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36129 Posts

Bad call regardless of whether they were cops or not.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

There's really only two types of folks afraid of the police - criminals and the naive.

A local Starbucks showing a lack of tact isn't exactly representative of the huge stores in the country. If only corporate would be more wise to allow their Californian stores not to be overrun with transients.

Spot on.

And @mattbbpl Nice detraction from your comical statement

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HEATHEN75
@Jacanuk said:

Spot on.

It's not like there have been recent cases of people being released from prison after serving 20 years and then being exonerated and released due to bad cops falsifying evidence and coercing bogus confessions out of innocent people. Oh wait, that has actually happened a lot recently.

People who treat cops as infallible champions of the law are just as moronic as the people that claim all cops are dirty and racist. Cops are just regular people like you and me. Some are good and some aren't.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

What an ignorant statement. This only holds if a) all cops act in good faith, and b) all cops act competently.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2114 Posts

Well, what happens if an employee told that to a hobo. Would there be a national outcry? Hm?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan: A reasonable person does not apply a broad brush towards all law enforcement; hence the naivete sets in when someone is afraid of a multitude of officers with no connect other than the "REEEE" feels.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HoolaHoopMan

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@HoolaHoopMan: A reasonable person does not apply a broad brush towards all law enforcement; hence the naivete sets in when someone is afraid of a multitude of officers with no connect other than the "REEEE" feels.

It's possible for people to have had bad encounters with police in the past, or know people who have, thus setting up a situation where they would feel uncomfortable. On top of this, police misconduct and screw-ups happen...they exist. This isn't about painting all officers with a broad brush, it's about acknowledging reality.

For this example, I'm completely on the side of the officers. But to say that only the guilty or naive, need ever feel uncomfortable in police encounters? That's pretty ignorant.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan: A reasonable person understands a bad (relative) experience doesn't negate all future correspondence; indeed, attached to feeling the "REEEE" to request them to leave a public venue with a variety of workers and customers present... naivete. There's outliers to the manner, as can be described in "trauma" induced oriented (extremely rare) circumstances... as diagnosed by mental health/medical professionals; but the statement remains solid to the core.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3685 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

It's possible for people to have had bad encounters with police in the past, or know people who have, thus setting up a situation where they would feel uncomfortable. On top of this, police misconduct and screw-ups happen...they exist. This isn't about painting all officers with a broad brush, it's about acknowledging reality.

For this example, I'm completely on the side of the officers. But to say that only the guilty or naive, need ever feel uncomfortable in police encounters? That's pretty ignorant.

It's possible for people to have had bad encounters with blacks in the past, or know people who have, thus setting up a situation where they would feel uncomfortable. On top of this, black peoples misconduct and screw-ups happen...they exist. This isn't about painting all black people with a broad brush, it's about acknowledging reality.

For this example, I'm completely on the side of the black people. But to say that only the guilty or naive, need ever feel uncomfortable in black people encounters? That's pretty ignorant.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

If Starbucks really wanted to emphasize fairness in their stores they would close for additional training this time around. In not closing they are cheapening the message from their previous shutdown.

It's clear that their previous training was not as impactful as it should have been. Do they really care about improving their workforce and creating a safe and fair business or was the last shutdown just an empty gesture?

@nintendoboy16 said:

This only goes to show ONE Americans trust in police. Unless the majority of customers in that Starbucks equally voiced discomfort in police being there. I would feel comfortable in saying more Americans trust in law enforcement than those that do not without doing any research. Law Enforcement isn't the malicious evil monster that media portrays them as.

@heathen75 said:

The cops were already paying customers. Business had already been conducted. No company in their right mind would conduct a transaction and then ask the customer to excuse themself from the premises.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl  Online

@watercrack445: Employees tell that to homeless people all the time.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk
@heathen75 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Spot on.

It's not like there have been recent cases of people being released from prison after serving 20 years and then being exonerated and released due to bad cops falsifying evidence and coercing bogus confessions out of innocent people. Oh wait, that has actually happened a lot recently.

People who treat cops as infallible champions of the law are just as moronic as the people that claim all cops are dirty and racist. Cops are just regular people like you and me. Some are good and some aren't.

So are you really trying to negate a few bad experiences to everyone in the force?

Ok, do you know how many are arrested each year? how many officers there is America? and how many arrests that end with acquittal because from your statement it seems like you don´t really know any real facts.

So consider those facts against the minuscule % that is actually proven to be behind bars wrongfully. It´s a no-brainer here that there are a lot more good cops than bad. and I bet once you need them you will be glad they are there.

Also, no-one said police are infallible but they still earned our respect and to be treated with that respect.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HoolaHoopMan

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@HoolaHoopMan: A reasonable person understands a bad (relative) experience doesn't negate all future correspondence; indeed, attached to feeling the "REEEE" to request them to leave a public venue with a variety of workers and customers present... naivete. There's outliers to the manner, as can be described in "trauma" induced oriented (extremely rare) circumstances... as diagnosed by mental health/medical professionals; but the statement remains solid to the core.

I disagree completely, but keep proclaiming 'REEEE' to grievances grounded in reality. It's simply a reflection at how poor of an ambassador you are for the law enforcement profession.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14681 Posts

Why would someone feel uncomfortable in Starbucks from the police? A public area with others around with cameras, not to mention in a fairly liberal leaning corporation. What are the cops going to do and believe they can get away with? Strikes me as a fairly unfounded fear, especially to the extent he asked the employee to have them leave.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2114 Posts

I guess it's reasonable since there was a group police officers. If there was one I would then blame the customer. It's similar to a group of black or Hispanic people walking into Starbucks. It gets suspicious, why did a group of people walked if Starbucks sells only coffee and snacks? Why don't they go to a restaurant and eat there if they are going hang around? Also, remember the police have teasers and guns. Some people don't like looking at guns and get nausea when they see guns. Remember most first-world citizens are not used to seeing guns up so close before.

Lets be open-minded here, this person may suffer from maybe some form of disability like panic attacks, PSTD, anxiety, trauma etc. Because that sounds like the person was. I think the police should check the person medical records for any abnormal behaviors before leading into some kind of altercation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36129 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I have to address the reality that your statement is more naive than you think.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jacanuk
@Pedro said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I have to address the reality that your statement is more naive than you think.

Not really because that statment is 100% correct.

If you are afraid of the police then you either have something to hide IE Criminal or you are just naive

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HEATHEN75

@Jacanuk said:
@heathen75 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Spot on.

So are you really trying to negate a few bad experiences to everyone in the force?

Ok, do you know how many are arrested each year? how many officers there is America? and how many arrests that end with acquittal because from your statement it seems like you don´t really know any real facts.

So consider those facts against the minuscule % that is actually proven to be behind bars wrongfully. It´s a no-brainer here that there are a lot more good cops than bad. and I bet once you need them you will be glad they are there.

Also, no-one said police are infallible but they still earned our respect and to be treated with that respect.

My last 2 sentences were "Cops are just regular people like you and me. Some are good and some aren't."

You follow that up with "So are you really trying to negate a few bad experiences to everyone in the force?"

That takes a special kind of stupid.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jacanuk
@heathen75 said:

My last 2 sentences were "Cops are just regular people like you and me. Some are good and some aren't."

You follow that up with "So are you really trying to negate a few bad experiences to everyone in the force?"

That takes a special kind of stupid.

I disregarded your last comment since they were completely contrary to the rest of your post, so I assumed you either missed something or just forgot to remove it.

But this makes me unsure why you even tried to comment on my post? since you seem to be in complete agreement with the fact that 99% of the police is pretty decent.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 121760 Posts

@RicanV said:

If Starbucks really wanted to emphasize fairness in their stores they would close for additional training this time around. In not closing they are cheapening the message from their previous shutdown.

It's clear that their previous training was not as impactful as it should have been. Do they really care about improving their workforce and creating a safe and fair business or was the last shutdown just an empty gesture?

Do you really have to ask? Until they are actually losing money, they won't do anything worthwhile to improve.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solaryellow

@Jacanuk said:

Lets talk turkey. Would it fly if a white person pulled the "I don't feel safe with a black person"......because of the disproportionate amount of crime committed by that particular community? The fallout would be insane. The application of standards in a subjective manner is alarming.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 36032 Posts

@heathen75 said:
@Jacanuk said:

only if they were gay cops

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@HoolaHoopMan: Like I said, I'm sure there's outliers based on extenuating circumstances that a reasonable peer would recognize. But again, the initial marker remains solid. I'm sure there's plenty keyboard warriors, of the "triggered era" which need their safespace, but if that happens to be a popular public coffee venue on a holiday... Well then, may their Twitter and ResetEra posts be plenty and fruitful.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@RicanV said:

Do you really have to ask? Until they are actually losing money, they won't do anything worthwhile to improve.

Also, it´s worth noting that a lot of places actually give police discount to attract them and by that attract more customers.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl  Online

@Solaryellow: "Lets talk turkey. Would it fly if a white person pulled the "I don't feel safe with a black person""

They just call the cops about a suspicious character in that case.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Solaryellow

@mattbbpl said:

@Solaryellow: "Lets talk turkey. Would it fly if a white person pulled the "I don't feel safe with a black person""

They just call the cops about a suspicious character in that case.

What about the fallout?