ANTIFA attacks journalist Andy Ngo with milkshakes mixed with cement, puts him in hospital

• 150 results
#1 Edited by ad1x2 (7646 posts) -

Washington Times

The milkshake movement has been going strong for a little while now, with people being encouraged to throw milkshakes at politicians and others they disagreed with. Defenders of the practice have claimed that the movement is mostly harmless, and at worst results in embarrassment, to include this guy:

Sometime after this tweet, Republican Matt Gaetz was hit with a drink by a woman, although it wasn’t a milkshake. The woman was charged with assault.

Yesterday, members of ANTIFA allegedly attacked Andy Ngo by throwing milkshakes with cement mixed in, and they also physically assaulted him. He was taken to the hospital and is currently being treated. This tweet was released by the Portland police after the incident, which was responded to with accusations of orders of them being told to stand down against ANTIFA:

Violence is wrong no matter what side of the aisle you are on, but the way people will react to this incident versus how people reacted to other events such as the alleged beating of Jussie Smollett will be telling. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36465 posts) -

As I said before, Antifa and the Proud Boys are two sides of the same coin.

Typical predictable answer: "But the left embraces Antifa."

Not as a whole, they don't. I sure as hell have no love for them. Have people forgotten that the left is very split, which some right-wingers HAVE taken advantage of (and still do)? Associating the whole left with Antifa (and for that matter, the whole right with the Proud Boys) is like associating all Muslims with al-Qaeda/ISIL, Hindus with RSS, Irish with IRA, British with UDA/UVF, Japanese with Aum Shinrikyo/JRA, all whites with the Klan, all Blacks with New Black Panthers, etc.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

And thus "it's just a milkshake bro", escalates.

#4 Edited by nintendoboy16 (36465 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

If it's true, then no. Last I checked, Nigel Farage didn't have acid or cement in the shake thrown at him, so his case is the equivalent of eggs being thrown at Arnold Schwarzenegger sort of thing. Ngo's case is something freaking else.

#5 Edited by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

If it's true, then no. Last I checked, Nigel Farage didn't have acid or cement in the shake thrown at him, so his case is the equivalent of eggs being thrown at Arnold Schwarzenegger sort of thing. Ngo's case is something freaking else.

Well it certainly looks inspired and motivated by Carlos Maza if they were in milkshake cups. Which makes me wonder what action they will take against Maza's online presence, since he has convinced YT and their advertisers that it's of vital importance to force people to take responsibility for their words. (BTW, the target was LGBTQIA+)

I agree with you that this is all nonsensical. And that the left should not be seen as the alt-left because most are far from it, which has become kind of a hopeless message to get through, today, with so many defending these terrible actions. And that the right should not be seen as alt-right for the exact same reason, which has been a hopeless message to spread for years now. (Wonder what came first and what I warned people against. Remember GG?)

But hey, he dug his own grave. In fact, you all did. Might as well nudge him into it. If this gets some of the more pro-censorship figures censored (oh sorry they are private companies I mean 'quieted down') then maybe their brains will start working. If that's not going to work, I fear people will stop listening to each other altogether. I'm running out of options to de-escalate. We better hope that the people who were attacked will suffer no permanent damage. The fringe groups must be put on a leash or it could get out of hand, precisely because guilt by association has become so popular.

#6 Posted by ad1x2 (7646 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

As I said before, Antifa and the Proud Boys are two sides of the same coin.

Typical predictable answer: "But the left embraces Antifa."

Not as a whole, they don't. I sure as hell have no love for them. Have people forgotten that the left is very split, which some right-wingers HAVE taken advantage of (and still do)? Associating the whole left with Antifa (and for that matter, the whole right with the Proud Boys) is like associating all Muslims with al-Qaeda/ISIL, Hindus with RSS, Irish with IRA, British with UDA/UVF, Japanese with Aum Shinrikyo/JRA, all whites with the Klan, all Blacks with New Black Panthers, etc.

While the left as a whole may not embrace ANTIFA, they don’t receive as much scorn as the Proud Boys. On Twitter for example, there are several ANTIFA pages but the Proud Boys were suspended from the platform. There is a Twitter page called Proud Boys USA, but it has nothing to do with the right-wing group and is a page stating that it is attempting to take it back for the LGBT community. Their current pinned Tweet repeats the phrase “F*** ICE” several times.

Of course, there have been some Democratic politicians that have denounced ANTIFA’s most violent acts, to include Speaker Pelosi, so anyone from the right that says no Democrat has denounced them would be mistaken at best and flat-out lying at worst. But liberal journalists like Don Lemon aren’t helping distance the left as a whole from ANTIFA when he describes them as “not perfect” after they engage in violent clashes.

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (34287 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Last time you checked, someone basically had acidic chemicals thrown on their face. That's escalation my man, I would expect nothing less from those unstable mentalists. Exactly why you don't normalize and give it a free pass because "teh left just protesting".

Doesn't matter who's doing it, and doesn't matter if it's an egg, a vegetable or a flying pig, we aren't in medieval times anymore, as a society we should be better than that.

Although I agree both groups are dumb-asses as bad as each other. Didn't get enough attention from mommy.

#8 Posted by phbz (4567 posts) -

I like the milkshake thing. This, I hope whoever did it spends a good time in jail.

#9 Posted by Horgen (120879 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

It's no longer just a milkshake. It's a cup of cement.

#10 Posted by jeezers (3146 posts) -

Antifa are hypocrits and misguided. You arent anti facist by pumeling gay asian journalists with cement milkshakes (might as well call it what it is, a brick at that point)

Btw? Why does portland have so much Antifa? Its always friggin portland lol

#12 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (1914 posts) -
@jeezers said:

Antifa are hypocrits and misguided. You arent anti facist by pumeling gay asian journalists with cement milkshakes (might as well call it what it is, a brick at that point)

Btw? Why does portland have so much Antifa? Its always friggin portland lol

Because the police don't do anything(usually). People are travelling from all over the country are going to Portland just to cause chaos. It's like a tourist spot at this point.

#13 Posted by jeezers (3146 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: yeah thats what it sounds like to me, where I live your ass is going to jail if your throwing milkshakes at people in public lol

#14 Posted by Nuck81 (7707 posts) -

Man, this is so tragic.

This is way worse than driving a car into a crowd of people you disagree with an killing someone

#15 Posted by Serraph105 (33960 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Man, this is so tragic.

This is way worse than driving a car into a crowd of people you disagree with an killing someone

Very fine people my friend. On both sides, on both sides.

#16 Posted by Sevenizz (4013 posts) -

Arrest Carlos for inciting violence already.

#17 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36465 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

Man, this is so tragic.

"Um... that's different because..."

#18 Posted by ad1x2 (7646 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Man, this is so tragic.

Since you want to play games and act like this is meaningless because some idiot murdered an innocent woman at a protest, will you still be okay with it if the next milkshake is mixed with acid and it results in the target being killed? Or better yet, what would your reaction be if the next person that has a milkshake thrown at them pulls out a pistol, shoots them, and tells police he shot the thrower because he was unsure if the milkshake had some toxic substance in it and is released for self-defense reasons as a result?

#19 Posted by mattbbpl (17344 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:
@Nuck81 said:

Man, this is so tragic.

Since you want to play games and act like this is meaningless because some idiot murdered an innocent woman at a protest, will you still be okay with it if the next milkshake is mixed with acid and it results in the target being killed? Or better yet, what would your reaction be if the next person that has a milkshake thrown at them pulls out a pistol, shoots them, and tells police he shot the thrower because he was unsure if the milkshake had some toxic substance in it and is released for self-defense reasons as a result?

Perhaps this type of tit-for-tat escalation is inevitable as the economic/social tensions continue to grow, people see the levers of institutional power increasingly rigged against them, and those institutions become viewed as illegitimate.

#20 Edited by watercrack445 (1714 posts) -

Is it worth the money to dump milkshake(s) onto somebody's face?

#21 Edited by Master_Live (19656 posts) -

Lets not throw milkshakes at anyone.

#22 Posted by ad1x2 (7646 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@ad1x2 said:
@Nuck81 said:

Man, this is so tragic.

Perhaps this type of tit-for-tat escalation is inevitable as the economic/social tensions continue to grow, people see the levers of institutional power increasingly rigged against them, and those institutions become viewed as illegitimate.

Just because a person doesn’t trust the system to work in their favor, resorting to violence isn’t the way to react as long as they have the right to vote for change. Even if it is something one may consider as benign as throwing a milkshake, which at a minimum, excluding humiliation, will cost the target money in dry cleaning bills.

With the rise of protestors throwing milkshakes at politicians and other right-wing figures, some people are concerned that the milkshakes would be a precursor to actual assassination attempts by exposing vulnerabilities to the targets and/or getting targets used to assuming objects thrown at them are nonlethal.

#23 Edited by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

It's ok as long as you call them nazi beforehand. Hey, no organization is perfect.

Loading Video...

Look, I know it's nothing new for people to get attacked in protests in the USA. But it's not exactly fantastic. I'm posting this because I want there to be no doubt as to what they do and for people to know what they are getting into.

This stuff happens with other fringe groups too, so if you are not one of the lunatics, take care of yourselves whatever side you happen to be on during a protest. If you are going to protest: announce it to the police to get adequate police protection and don't assume that others have done that for you, don't allow masked people in your protest group and steer clear of fringe fanatics.

#24 Edited by Vaasman (13800 posts) -

I will agree to be outraged if you can agree that this is not even close to the level of indiscriminate murder of uninvolved citizens that comes from the opposite side of the coin. Otherwise this transparent display rings hollow.

#25 Posted by mattbbpl (17344 posts) -

@ad1x2: "Just because a person doesn’t trust the system to work in their favor, resorting to violence isn’t the way to react as long as they have the right to vote for change. "

*Looks at recent GOP actions limiting voting power*

#26 Posted by jeezers (3146 posts) -

@mattbbpl: so is that your way of justyfying what happened?

https://youtu.be/VXVG6Iw-Igw

#27 Edited by mattbbpl (17344 posts) -

@jeezers: Not at all. Please read my original post.

#28 Posted by Nuck81 (7707 posts) -

@ad1x2: since we are talking about meaningless what ifs, and fear mongering escalation...

Would you be ok with the next right wing Nazi throwing pipe bombs into a crowd of protesters? What if instead of a car they drive a truck and kill more people?

#29 Edited by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

Leftists ITT: um yeah that's kind of an asshole thing to do and I really can't score any political points in defending this but how about this other thing done by a bunch of trash people who are completely unrelated to the victim, that's worse so what just happened doesn't matter k?

What is it exactly that you think you're achieving using a tu quoque fallacy? Does it make you sleep better at night knowing that in recent history "your side" has had less shows of extreme physical violence than "the other side"? What are you, 12?

#30 Edited by Serraph105 (33960 posts) -

@jeezers said:

@mattbbpl: so is that your way of justyfying what happened?

https://youtu.be/VXVG6Iw-Igw

It seems like what Matt is saying is that people can expect to see negative consequences the more that politicians rig democracy against them. Maybe the way to avoid a pissed off public is to allow their voices and concerns to be heard and to actually do something rather than continually ignoring them.

I don't think you will find anyone many willing to defend the literal food throwers, but perhaps surprise at the fact that they exist shouldn't continue to be feigned.

#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17197 posts) -

My milkshakes bring all the nazies to the yard.

#32 Posted by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

The organizers for the Antifa event even called it "Portland unites against fascist violence" and singled Ngo out for his interest in reporting antifa's not-so-antifascist methods.

Meanwhile, on their site they openly endorse physical violence, suppression of mediatic exposure to criticism of the group's direction and also call to avoid cooperation with law enforcement.

Hope I don't need to spell out for you guys that this is extremely likely to go downhill real fast

#33 Edited by joebones5000 (2617 posts) -

Antifi is not anti violence. Antifi is anti fascist violence. Maybe the right should stop framining antifa as something it isn't?

#34 Edited by ad1x2 (7646 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@ad1x2: since we are talking about meaningless what ifs, and fear mongering escalation...

Would you be ok with the next right wing Nazi throwing pipe bombs into a crowd of protesters? What if instead of a car they drive a truck and kill more people?

The fact that you are trying to downplay this by bringing up what some right-wingers have done that are worse doesn’t make you seem morally superior, it makes you seem like an apologist. Encouraging people to do those things is just going to get one of them killed eventually. The targets of the milkshakes are more likely to have CCWs than the the ones throwing them, and I’m not going to feel the least bit sorry for them.

#35 Posted by Serraph105 (33960 posts) -

@tenaka2 said:

My milkshakes bring all the nazies to the yard.

And they're like, "Actually, we're a legitimate organization in America now and you have to tolerate us, but f*** you and everything you stand for. We're white (nationalists) so we will just be called very fine people for this."

#36 Posted by Willy105 (24855 posts) -

Man, what a mess.

@joebones5000 said:

Antifi is not anti violence. Antifi is anti fascist violence. Maybe the right should stop framining antifa as something it isn't?

They kinda have to frame it that way, otherwise Republicans would normally love them.

#37 Edited by npiet1 (2466 posts) -

@Willy105 said:

Man, what a mess.

@joebones5000 said:

They kinda have to frame it that way, otherwise Republicans would normally love them.

ZERO EVIDENCE LOLOLOL look at the container. How many "milkshakes" have acidic hazard label. RETRACTED it's the baby might drown symbol.

#38 Posted by Serraph105 (33960 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@Willy105 said:

Man, what a mess.

@joebones5000 said:

ZERO EVIDENCE LOLOLOL look at the container. How many "milkshakes" have acidic hazard label.

I could just do what Trump supporters do for all of his rape and sexual assault allegations and say, "Well, the evidence is really unclear, and there's so many accusers."

Or is that line of logic not okay in this situation?

#39 Edited by npiet1 (2466 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@npiet1 said:
@Willy105 said:

Man, what a mess.

@joebones5000 said:

ZERO EVIDENCE LOLOLOL look at the container. How many "milkshakes" have acidic hazard label.

I could just do what Trump supporters do for all of his rape and sexual assault allegations and say, "Well, the evidence is really unclear, and there's so many accusers."

We aren't talking about that and I haven't looked into the evidence to form an opinion on it, Nor am I pro or anti-trump. Why the **** do people always bring up trump, even when it has nothing to do about him?

#40 Posted by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

With the difference being that in this case there is actually substantiative evidence that violence happened because 1) it was caught on video 2) the guy had abrasions on his face and a black eye 3) both the video capture of the incident and the photographs were published in hours consistent with the rally's schedule and not years later only when it was politically palatable 4) the guys who did it openly called for violence against its opposition and singled Ngo out for having kept an eye on them in the past.

If you can't write a reply that is more intelligent than what one of the bricks that Bender shits when he eats something bad could come up with you probably should just avoid using the "Post Reply" button.

#41 Posted by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

Since we're resorting to shitslinging, I thought it'd be interesting to add that "he/she asked for it" is now an allowed answer again.

Hear that, dear "I believe victims" and metoo supporters? Your efforts have just been suicided by the same people who claimed to fight for you. This is a Human Rights Campaign communications representative.

#42 Posted by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

I will agree to be outraged if you can agree that this is not even close to the level of indiscriminate murder of uninvolved citizens that comes from the opposite side of the coin. Otherwise this transparent display rings hollow.

I don't want to ask you to pretend. But I have no problem denouncing any indiscriminate murders. I haven't kept score exactly but what you say it's probably true.

#43 Posted by Serraph105 (33960 posts) -

@N30F3N1X: all of that may be true, but without true video evidence of it happening for all we know this reporter could be making it all up. The evidence is really unclear and you have no true way to know without jumping to some conclusions that, frankly, make you sound like a hysterical crazy person.

#44 Posted by Nuck81 (7707 posts) -

@ad1x2: antifa killed zero people in 2018.

Right wing extremists killed over 50 people.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/extremist-killings-links-right-wing-extremism-report-2019-1

#45 Posted by comp_atkins (35796 posts) -

"Violence is wrong no matter what side of the aisle you are on"

#46 Posted by Jacanuk (18712 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/extremist-killings-links-right-wing-extremism-report-2019-1

Not sure what you are trying to "whataboutisem" there

But are you in favour of ANTIFA and the facist violent methods they use?

#47 Edited by PraetorianMan (1973 posts) -

Ngo's career consists of peddling race science and inspiring Atomwaffen-affiliated kill lists targeting other journalists. Do I wish that he gets attacked by politically motivated violence? No. I do wish that he’d OD on heroine and accidentally kill himself though

#48 Posted by Nuck81 (7707 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Nuck81 said:

Not sure what you are trying to "whataboutisem" there

But are you in favour of ANTIFA and the facist violent methods they use?

Loading Video...

#49 Posted by Jacanuk (18712 posts) -

@Nuck81: So you learned something from the Democrats, How to avoid answering a question since I did not ask about anyone else but you

But in your avoidance, you did actually answer and thanks for showing your hypocrisy.

#50 Posted by N30F3N1X (8923 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@N30F3N1X: all of that may be true, but without true video evidence of it happening for all we know this reporter could be making it all up. The evidence is really unclear and you have no true way to know without jumping to some conclusions that, frankly, make you sound like a hysterical crazy person.

What the **** are you smoking? Unclear? What's unclear about seeing him getting beat up and having milkshakes thrown at him by people who had their face covered, seeing him report the beating he took on video with the police checking on him, and his lawyer stating that he's getting checked in at an ER with a brain bleed, after being literally named as a target by antifa who openly called for violence and who also went on to beat up another old guy?

Like seriously, what the **** do you want more than this? A publicly posted tactical plan in which they explain how they're going to assassinate him, and a video with him actually getting killed?