Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@theone86 said:

"Something, something, AOC, something something!"-Republicans

@JimB said:

If you are looking for some one to blame try looking at the congress that wrote 77,000 pages of tax code.

Right, blame the system and not the people blatantly taking advantage of it. Thank you for proving again that Republicans know exactly jack shit about personal responsibility.

It's kind of both though. If the system sucks, then change it. It's not just republicans, people in general have proven they dont do jack shit about personal responsibility. I've found most democrats to be just as shitty in that regard. They just have higher opinions of themselves but zero personal introspection. Too busy holding their noses up at the world. Bunch of dicks.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Welcome to the policy of the conservatives.

Democrats has the House of Representatives. Amazon's Jeff Bezos is a pro-Democrat operative.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Democrats has the House of Representatives. Amazon's Jeff Bezos is a pro-Democrat operative.

And yet the Republican had control and did not remove loopholes. Hence the policy of the conservatives. The more you know.........

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ronvalencia

@LJS9502_basic said:
@ronvalencia said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And yet the Republican had control and did not remove loopholes. Hence the policy of the conservatives. The more you know.........

And yet the Democrats had control and did not remove loopholes.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ronvalencia

@Serraph105: Any corporate tax discussions needs to factor in globalization and OECD competition factors.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@theone86 said:

@JimB said:

If you are looking for some one to blame try looking at the congress that wrote 77,000 pages of tax code.

Right, blame the system and not the people blatantly taking advantage of it. Thank you for proving again that Republicans know exactly jack shit about personal responsibility.

Do you take the deductions on your taxes?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@horgen said:
@Solaryellow said:

Amazon actually pays A LOT of taxes. I would encourage people to actually research the issue rather than not.

Do you mean their workers through their wages, or the customers when they buy a product?

Payroll, state and local tax, etc.., I guess the argument is whether or not it should be paying more.

The topic is specific to Federal taxes, hence a discussion to a change in the 'Federal' tax code. Saying they pay taxes via other means is ignoring the topic at hand.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

And yet the Democrats had control and did not remove loopholes.

No they did not.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ronvalencia

@SUD123456 said:

I have posted on this a number of times, including a few weeks ago. Until there is an international effort to align the various tax regimes, close loopholes, etc.for these multinational companies there is only one way which this is going to go which is a race to the bottom. This is exactly why the most recent tax changes in the US are insane. They were never going to effect the large multinationals who already exploit international tax rules. And they simply shift the tax burden even more from companies to individuals for all other largely domestic entities.

The only possible benefit is in the case of domestic industries largely producing for export. In that case a targeted approach would have been possible, but even then the whole effect can be absorbed easily by China through currency devaluation since the Yuan doesn't really float.

Americans are idiots supporting this growing trend and buying into the BS posted about max tax rates and your competitiveness. And then completing ignoring what you are getting for those taxes in the first place. You are going down the path of trying to compete against economies with a billion people that are either gov't manipulated like China or reinvest little back into society like India. You are completely delusional to believe that lower corporate tax is going to benefit you and your society in this context. Worse still you are insane to fail to reconcile additional tax cuts at a time of record profits, historically low levels of unemployment and a 10 yr stock run up.

It is crazy and the only lever left is to print more money and ultimately devalue 99% of your citizenry for the other 1%. Nothing can possibly stop the growing spread with the current set of policies.

The top 26 billionaires have as much wealth as the bottom 3.8 billion people on the planet. Think about that for a second.

Billionaires can leave a state with high tax rates i.e. they are very mobile.

AOC's driving away Amazon from NY is an example.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ronvalencia: You're just proving his point.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@sonicare said:
@theone86 said:

@JimB said:

It's kind of both though. If the system sucks, then change it. It's not just republicans, people in general have proven they dont do jack shit about personal responsibility. I've found most democrats to be just as shitty in that regard. They just have higher opinions of themselves but zero personal introspection. Too busy holding their noses up at the world. Bunch of dicks.

Democrats have tried and have changed it in the past. We passed financial oversight, for instance, which was then summarily torn to shreds by Republicans once they got into power. There are plenty of good tax proposals that help average Americans on the Democratic side, but as soon as they get put forward the red-baiting starts and they're completely dead in the Senate without so much as a debate. Don't rig the rules of the game and then say it's my fault for not winning a rigged game.

And besides, I'm not talking about abstractions. I have a real concrete example of a Republican saying that loopholes are bad, but refusing to hold corporations that utilize responsible. That's exhibit A in lacking responsibility. No one forces these corporations to exploit loopholes, and no one forces Republicans to refuse to hold them responsible. Either loopholes are bad and we should be concerned about both legislative reform and calling out corporations who take them, or loopholes aren't really that much of a problem. But don't say they're a problem, and then say it's all fine and dandy for corporations to utilize them until Democrats manage to break through a historically deadlocked political process and completely undo a tax code that was created over decades.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@theone86 said:
@sonicare said:
@theone86 said:

@JimB said:

Democrats have tried and have changed it in the past. We passed financial oversight, for instance, which was then summarily torn to shreds by Republicans once they got into power. There are plenty of good tax proposals that help average Americans on the Democratic side, but as soon as they get put forward the red-baiting starts and they're completely dead in the Senate without so much as a debate. Don't rig the rules of the game and then say it's my fault for not winning a rigged game.

And besides, I'm not talking about abstractions. I have a real concrete example of a Republican saying that loopholes are bad, but refusing to hold corporations that utilize responsible. That's exhibit A in lacking responsibility. No one forces these corporations to exploit loopholes, and no one forces Republicans to refuse to hold them responsible. Either loopholes are bad and we should be concerned about both legislative reform and calling out corporations who take them, or loopholes aren't really that much of a problem. But don't say they're a problem, and then say it's all fine and dandy for corporations to utilize them until Democrats manage to break through a historically deadlocked political process and completely undo a tax code that was created over decades.

I think the mistake you are making is putting your faith in democrats. I think we need a new party. republicans are obviously in the pocket of big business, but most democrats are too. They talk one way but then act another. Hillary wouldnt have been hiding her speeches to the big banks if there wasn't something amiss. If you want true change, you need to drop the donkey and go with the iron sickle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@theone86 said:
@sonicare said:
@theone86 said:

@JimB said:

It's not that the game is rigged, it's just one side doesn't want or know how to win. The democratic party is the party of political impotence. You have to admit that. Obama had majorities in the house and senate for his first 2 years. yet, all i ever heard was how the republicans are preventing this and that. They could have easily passed whatever legislation they wanted without a single republican vote. But they couldn't find agreement in their own party. Could have done better financial reform, could have passed a far superior version of obamacare, could have passed environmental legislation etc. etc etc. Look at the country. More people identify with the democratic party and their policies. More people are registered as democratic voters. Simply get their base out to vote and the democratic party should have majorities in government. No reason they should have lost the presidential election. Yet they always find a way to fail or lose.

Yes, the constitution does seem to require a large amount of inertia and energy to get things done, but put in the damn effort. then. Bush and Trump got their incredibly irresponsible tax cuts passed. Why can't the democrats do similar things on their end? Why can republicans tear democratic policy to shreds, but the democrats can't tear down policies they don't like when they are in power? Why are the constantly outmanouvered by a party of clowns? The problem i have with this party is that it's the party of blame others and do nothing. Why can the republicans get shit done and the democrats can't? That's the question that democrats should be asking their politicians and themselves.

It's not that republicans lack responsibility, they just are responsible to the wrong group. They side with corporations. They always have. I highly doubt that they are concerned about closing supposed "loopholes" if they benefit businesses. And what exactly are these loopholes? How is amazon not paying taxes and not being fined or its members given jail time? How are they avoiding taxes? Businesses can carry losses forward and can deduct expenses. Neither of those are really loopholes. If they're shuttling money out of the country to avoid taxes on it, then I wouldn't mind seeing laws enacted to curtail that. Some US companies have their corporate headquarters in foreign countries to avoid paying the higher US corporate tax rates. I think we could address that as well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

The number of large corporations zeroing out their tax liabilities has doubled under the GOP tax plan.

At least 60 companies reported that their 2018 federal tax rates amounted to effectively zero, or even less than zero, on income earned on U.S. operations, according to an analysis released today by the Washington, D.C.-based think tank, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. The number is more than twice as many as ITEP found roughly, per year, on average in an earlier, multi-year analysis before the new tax law went into effect.

The identified companies were "able to zero out their federal income taxes on $79 billion in U.S. pretax income," according to the ITEP report, which was released today. "Instead of paying $16.4 billion in taxes, as the new 21 percent corporate tax rate requires, these companies enjoyed a net corporate tax rebate of $4.3 billion, blowing a $20.7 billion hole in the federal budget last year." To compile the list, ITEP analyzed the 2018 financial filings of the country's largest 560 publicly-held companies.

The controversial Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, signed by President Donald Trump in December 2017, lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent, among other cuts. That's partly to blame for giving corporations an easier way out of paying taxes, said Matthew Gardner, an ITEP senior fellow and lead author of the report. The new corporate tax rate "lowers the bar for the amount of tax avoidance it takes to get you down to zero," he said.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#65 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I don't have a problem with Amazon as a business. I like the service. But this is obviously egregious tax loop-hole-ing and is so shitty and awful. We have to stomp on this.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

The number of large corporations zeroing out their tax liabilities has doubled under the GOP tax plan.

At least 60 companies reported that their 2018 federal tax rates amounted to effectively zero, or even less than zero, on income earned on U.S. operations, according to an analysis released today by the Washington, D.C.-based think tank, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. The number is more than twice as many as ITEP found roughly, per year, on average in an earlier, multi-year analysis before the new tax law went into effect.

The identified companies were "able to zero out their federal income taxes on $79 billion in U.S. pretax income," according to the ITEP report, which was released today. "Instead of paying $16.4 billion in taxes, as the new 21 percent corporate tax rate requires, these companies enjoyed a net corporate tax rebate of $4.3 billion, blowing a $20.7 billion hole in the federal budget last year." To compile the list, ITEP analyzed the 2018 financial filings of the country's largest 560 publicly-held companies.

The controversial Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, signed by President Donald Trump in December 2017, lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent, among other cuts. That's partly to blame for giving corporations an easier way out of paying taxes, said Matthew Gardner, an ITEP senior fellow and lead author of the report. The new corporate tax rate "lowers the bar for the amount of tax avoidance it takes to get you down to zero," he said.

Our ballooning deficit is a myth!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#67 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I think people should take this into consideration when voting in 2020.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#68 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

So before we all grab out pitchforks and nooses, has anybody bothered to ask how many jobs Amazon have created in that time period?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mattbbpl

@Dark_sageX: Relevance?

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#70 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

Job creation as the benefit for reducing taxation on business? or is that something not important to you?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mattbbpl

@Dark_sageX said:
@mattbbpl said:

Job creation as the benefit for reducing taxation on business? or is that something not important to you?

Are you implying that they would have foregone making that 11.2 billion dollars if they had to pay 21% of it in taxes (thus merely earning 8.8 billion dollars in profits)?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@Dark_sageX: And how much their employees contribute to federal taxes.

Also, when customers make a purchase, aren’t they paying a tax as well? Is it all state or municipal?

What’s this ‘no tax’? That’s impossible.