About the flag, taking a knee during the anthem, real talk here.

• 154 results
N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

This pretty much sums up how I feel. You should feel this way too.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

People can do whatever they want. If people choose to express themselves nonviolently, then it is other peoples fault for choosing to be offended.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD

@Mercenary848 said:

People can do whatever they want. If people choose to express themselves nonviolently, then it is other peoples fault for choosing to be offended.

That's such a dumb statement I don't know where to begin.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

"You can protests anyway you like but not like that. Or that. Don't do that please. If you do that, you hate our veterans and America. You can't do this either. Ok, now you're just being silly."

@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

1st Amendment is knocking on the door. It wants to talk about the freedoms it guarantees and why it's invaluable to a free society.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

This reminds me of south park

But who cares, these are overpaid morons who think their opinion is relevant.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Keep politics out of my sports.

Sports are supposed to be a form of escapism from every day life. I don't need this shit shoved down my throat everywhere I turn.

Also, just read that Alajandro Villanueva (the Steelers OL and former Army Ranger who defied the Steelers orders to remain in the tunnel during the anthem) now has the highest selling jersey in the NFL over the last 24 hours, beating out Tom Brady.

Good shit

Might even buy me one

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7211 Posts

It's a simple act that gets a lot of attention without doing any actual harm to anyone. I find Kapernick's arguments for doing this a bit simplistic, but have no problem with the methodology.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercenary848

@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

You have the demeanor and communication skills of a teenage girl. You can't refute my point and it made your brain hurt, so regressed to your default status of making a childish retort. This new board really attracted a lot of idiots, and you are vying for front seat on the short bus n64.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@judaspete said:

It's a simple act that gets a lot of attention without doing any actual harm to anyone. I find Kapernick's arguments for doing this a bit simplistic, but have no problem with the methodology.

This where I'm at with it. It seems like everyone wants the players who are kneeling as a form of peaceful protest to just protest in a way that doesn't actually bother anyone, but that's what protesting is about. It's about making noise and being disruptive (not in a harmful way) to get people to pay attention to the issue you believe is important. It's not about being respectful because you don't respect the way things currently are.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@frank_castle said:

Sports are supposed to be a form of escapism from every day life. I don't need this shit shoved down my throat everywhere I turn.

Also, just read that Alajandro Villanueva (the Steelers OL and former Army Ranger who defied the Steelers orders to remain in the tunnel during the anthem) now has the highest selling jersey in the NFL over the last 24 hours, beating out Tom Brady.

Good shit

Might even buy me one

There's something wrong with this country when people such as yourself pretend to live in a fantasy and refuse to accept that there is something wrong with this country. I suggest you read 1984.

Also, sports and politics has always been a thing. Look up Jackie Robinson's quarrel with Jack Kennedy.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

I mean... that's kind of the foundation for our nation and the reason we have the rights we do, but if you want to call it stupid that does not shock me. Here's one of the greatest coaches of all time, who is from and lives in Texas, to explain it to you just in case you dont get it.

Loading Video...

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

This reminds me of south park

But who cares, these are overpaid morons who think their opinion is relevant.

You're talking about it so clearly it holds some weight.

@frank_castle said:

Good shit

Might even buy me one

You clearly didn't listen to Villanueva talk about how it was a mistake on his part afterwords lol.

Don't worry though guys, keep getting mad that players are kneeling for the anthem while you sit down on your couch during the anthem as well.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

You have the demeanor and communication skills of a teenage girl. You can't refute my point and it made your brain hurt, so regressed to your default status of making a childish retort. This new board really attracted a lot of idiots, and you are vying for front seat on the short bus n64.

While I understand that he likes to troll, your statement about it being other people's fault for choosing to be offended is debatable. For example, consider a situation where a white nationalist refers to black people as the N word. The First Amendment says that it is perfectly legal, but would you suggest that a black person has no right to be offended because the white nationalist was nonviolent when he called black people that?

Yes, I realize that for some people, the flag is meaningless to them and they would probably ask how someone can be more offended over disrespecting the flag or kneeling during the National Anthem versus someone using a racial slur. However, while a flag may be meaningless to someone that has issues with race relations in America, another person that is patriotic may be deeply offended by it. Them being deeply offended doesn't mean they are racist, and both the disrespect of the flag and the racial slur offends them.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848

@ad1x2 said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

While I understand that he likes to troll, your statement about it being other people's fault for choosing to be offended is debatable. For example, consider a situation where a white nationalist refers to black people as the N word. The First Amendment says that it is perfectly legal, but would you suggest that a black person has no right to be offended because the white nationalist was nonviolent when he called black people that?

Yes, I realize that for some people, the flag is meaningless to them and they would probably ask how someone can be more offended over disrespecting the flag or kneeling during the National Anthem versus someone using a racial slur. However, while a flag may be meaningless to someone that has issues with race relations in America, another person that is patriotic may be deeply offended by it. Them being deeply offended doesn't mean they are racist, and both the disrespect of the flag and the racial slur offends them.

In that context that iis a pointed statement pointed directly at an individual, as opposed to people kneeling which is more to bring attention to something. The thing is also kneeling has no malicious intent towards anyone patriotic. I think ciggerates are gross and I am anti big tobacco. So if I decline to smoke when someone offers me a cigarette and cigarette smokers got mad, that would be on them. This is more about imposing your values on others when you say people should be forced to be patriotic.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mercenary848

In highschool they say the pledge, but some kids refuse. Yeah they are usually being attention whore, but a patriotic attention whore will complain about him doing it. But what can you do? Expel a kid for not doing the pledge

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

In that context that iis a pointed statement pointed directly at an individual, as opposed to people kneeling which is more to bring attention to something. The thing is also kneeling has no malicious intent towards anyone patriotic. I think ciggerates are gross and I am anti big tobacco. So if I decline to smoke when someone offers me a cigarette and cigarette smokers got mad, that would be on them. This is more about imposing your values on others when you say people should be forced to be patriotic.

Who is forcing them to be patriotic? Same doof from Fox?

People died so that Athletes would have the right to kneel during the Anthem. People also died so that viewers would have the right to criticize kneeling during the Anthem. If anyone tries to bring the force into the equation, both sides should instantly turn on them. The right to act in a way that makes millions call you an asshole is after all sacrosanct in America.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3853 Posts

There is an old saying you don't bite the hand that feeds you. The NFL players taking a knee strike's a sore nerve with a great many people in this country, many who served in the military or had a loved one killed in action. Whatever this protest is about you can stick a fork in it. I don't even think the NFL players know what it is about. I haven't heard one of them articulate it once yet that made any sense it has just been incoherent ramblings. As TV revenues fall so will their inflated paychecks. They can then take a knee and pray the fans and revenues come back.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mercenary848

@kittennose said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Who is forcing them to be patriotic? Same doof from Fox?

People died so that Athletes would have the right to kneel during the Anthem. People also died so that viewers would have the right to criticize kneeling during the Anthem. If anyone tries to bring the force into the equation, both sides should instantly turn on them. The right to act in a way that makes millions call you an asshole is after all sacrosanct in America.

In this case I don care either way how people feel about the actions of the players. I just stated my opinion on the way people are acting. But I do think the way the president handled it was atrocious. You say a lot, but you missed the point. I was replying to adx, and he asked me how I feel about thefact that people think these players are commiting some offense, and they should be punished for not standing(which would be a type of force)

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N64DD

@JimB said:

There is an old saying you don't bite the hand that feeds you. The NFL players taking a knee strike's a sore nerve with a great many people in this country, many who served in the military or had a loved one killed in action. Whatever this protest is about you can stick a fork in it. I don't even think the NFL players know what it is about. I haven't heard one of them articulate it once yet that made any sense it has just been incoherent ramblings. As TV revenues fall so will their inflated paychecks. They can then take a knee and pray the fans and revenues come back.

Amen brother.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KittenNose

@Mercenary848 said:

In this case I don care either way how people feel about the actions of the players. I just stated my opinion on the way people are acting. But I do think the way the president handled it was atrocious. You say a lot, but you missed the point. I was replying to adx, and he asked me how I feel about thefact that people think these players are commiting some offense, and they should be punished for not standing(which would be a type of force)

There may be some sort of confusion. Sorry, the previous post was not a criticism of your post, it was a genuine question. If someone was/is talking about passing laws to force standing during the anthem, the pledge, when the president walks in, or something else asinine I was going to grab a torch and pitchfork.

Is that happening or not so much?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mercenary848

@kittennose said:
@Mercenary848 said:

There may be some sort of confusion. Sorry, the previous post was not a criticism of your post, it was a genuine question. If someone was/is talking about passing laws to force standing during the anthem, the pledge, when the president walks in, or something else asinine I was going to grab a torch and pitchfork.

Is that happening or not so much?

No problem, I hear you I felt like we disconnected. No but in the court of public opinion and how certain groups are outraged by this a lot of people seem to think their should be a law.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

People keep telling me that, as a veteran, I should be infuriated. Why? Why should I care about what someone else is doing?

People also seem to think that the flag and our nation's anthem exclusively represents our armed forces.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44005 Posts

I think that it's an excellent and non-violent way to protest and/or make a statement. Kudos to those athletes who do so. I also find it absolutely ridiculous for people who think that just because they make a lot of money that they shouldn't be able take action for a cause that they believe. In fact I applaud them more so because of that. They could just continue to take a pay check and say to hell with anyone else but they don't and for that I say good for them in doing so.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KittenNose

@Mercenary848 said:

No problem, I hear you I felt like we disconnected. No but in the court of public opinion and how certain groups are outraged by this a lot of people seem to think their should be a law.

Those people are unamerican scumbags, whoever they are. Anyone who has a problem with the protest should be encourage to boycott a player's merchandise, team, or even the sport if they feel that strongly. Or if they want to show they respect the flag, maybe they can gather outside the stadium and do something crazy like collect money for the wounded warrior foundation.

Passing a law however is just admitting their inability to change someone's mind, and I can think of few acts that show less respect for the flag. It is a step below burning it.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@plageus900: "People also seem to think that the flag and our nation's anthem exclusively represents our armed forces."

What a silly idea.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KittenNose

@InEMplease said:

What a silly idea.

It is a silly idea. The flag represents all of us. While I will happily concede the first and foremost duty of any civilian should be to offer care, comfort, and respect to our troops, the flag represents all of us. Those that fight for it, and those that burn it. Freedom is the biggest, ugliest mess humanity ever devised. You can't love it if you shun the icky bits.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 InEMplease

@kittennose: Not shunning. not punishing.

Simply calling out the assholes that don't appreciate what they have.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KittenNose

@InEMplease said:

More then fair, I am however not talking about judging them. I am talking about what the flag represents. It represents every American, and the choices each of us are allowed to make because of all of our wealth and freedom. Wealth and freedom we did not earn or sacrifice for. We can only earn and sacrifice for future Americans, building up what was built by the men and women who came before us. It isn't just the troops, or just those who respect the flag.

If someone thinks things have gotten so screwed up that they need to fly the flag upside down, burn it, kneel during the pledge or whatever, it is their duty as an American to do so. That is the entire point of fighting for freedom. Folks do it so people can do what they feel is right, instead of just think it quietly. Assuming no violence of course.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By InEMplease

@kittennose: We're on the same wave-length here. They can sit out the anthem, and I can call them babies and refuse to watch any more games.

But what does it accomplish?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@InEMplease: Which branch did you serve in?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KittenNose

@InEMplease said:

@kittennose: We're on the same wave-length here. They can sit out the anthem, and I can call them babies and refuse to watch any more games.

But what does it accomplish?

Not a darn thing. The whole thing is asinine in my view. If I was forced to come up with an actual answer, I would say it serves to distract us all from wealth inequality. Don't really see how anything else useful to anyone's agenda comes from this controversy.

That is why I only bounce in to ask about things like laws, to talk about what the flag means, what being an American means, and the like. I will argue that being total jerk is the first and foremost American right until I am blue in the face. Doesn't mean I think being a jerk accomplishes much. If I had to come up with a dream outcome for this scenario, both sides would get in a peeing for distance contest in which they try to outdo each other by raising funds for the VA. The far more likely result however is a huge waste of time. Perhaps entertainment value, but even that seems like a stretch.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 InEMplease

@plageus900: lol

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 InEMplease

@kittennose: Actually it has accomplished much. Discord, infighting, so many wasted bandwidths of data. Basically, all negative, none positive.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@ad1x2 said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@n64dd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

My reply was more towards your statement that the person who is offended is to blame whenever something they find offensive is done, not that I can't see why people are kneeling. I was also talking about the white nationalist referring to black people in general as the N word, not him calling a specific person a n***** to his face, since depending upon the situation, that action may leave the territory of free speech and could cross into fighting words.

Going back to the kneeling, to kneel during the National Anthem is a deliberate action, versus simply staying seated. While seated, some people do it not out of intentional disrespect, but because of health issues or other things that keep them from standing to include apathy. That is one of the main reasons people get upset at people kneeling.

However, the whole thing about Kaepernick kneeling versus sitting down was supposedly due to a conversation with Nate Boyer, who got him to compromise by kneeling instead of sitting if he wants to refuse to stand. So I'll give him some respect for kneeling instead of simply sitting down in that case. I may not like the idea of what they are doing, since it is disrespecting one thing many Americans find near and dear to bring attention to another, but I understand their reasons and I would never demand for their prosecution over it.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nick3306

@InEMplease said:

Ah the old fashioned "They already have it pretty good so they shouldn't get upset over anything ever" argument that makes no sense. Clearly they should just shut up and deal with injustice because other things in their life are good. GTFO here will that bullshit.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By InEMplease

@Nick3306: These (recent) idiots got upset over a tweet.

Million Dollar Baby Two - Inside the NFL.

Starring Nicholas Cage.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nick3306

@InEMplease said:

@Nick3306: These (recent) idiots got upset over a tweet.

Million Dollar Baby Two - Inside the NFL.

Starring Nicholas Cage.

It was actually a live speech by the "leader" of their country, not a tweet. Maybe try knowing what you are talking about before you run your mouth?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N64DD

@Nick3306 said:
@InEMplease said:

Ah the old fashioned "They already have it pretty good so they shouldn't get upset over anything ever" argument that makes no sense. Clearly they should just shut up and deal with injustice because other things in their life are good. GTFO here will that bullshit.

There is no injustice but what they make for themselves.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 InEMplease

@Nick3306: Where's the fun in that?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nick3306

@n64dd said:
@Nick3306 said:
@InEMplease said:

Then you are in denial. Argue against their methods all you want, those arguments have some substance even if they are misguided, but to deny problem is even worse.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 N64DD

@Nick3306 said:
@n64dd said:
@Nick3306 said:
@InEMplease said:

Then you are in denial. Argue against their methods all you want, those arguments have some substance even if they are misguided, but to deny problem is even worse.

Did I offend you?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nick3306

@n64dd said:
@Nick3306 said:
@n64dd said:
@Nick3306 said:
@InEMplease said:

Did I offend you?

Lol typical N64, can't defend any of your points so you resort to posts like this, classic.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14789 Posts

I'm all for free speech and expression. If players want to kneel then I believe they should. Likewise if fans or others think it's silly, they should be able to point their fingers at them and laugh.

Trump is a troll. He got people who disagreed with him to kneel. "Kneel before Trump" memes incoming.

"You should feel this way too."

Oh please! I'm used to hearing that type of shit from the far-left/SJWs.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58161 Posts

There's nothing wrong with us debating and even arguing like little kids over this bullshit. It's human nature and it can even be entertaining, insightful even if we are mature about it.

The thing I don't like is when people think that you have to pick a side, that it actually means something tangible, or it get's petty and personal.

It's like when two grown up people have a difference of opinion, and there's some bastard there that makes thing's worse. On their own, the two people might argue, they might get hurt feelings, agree to disagree, or even resolve their differences, but ultimately nothing will come of it because in the grand scheme of things they're just two fucking people and who cares about them, right? Who really cares about a guy taking a knee during the anthem this much, I mean seriously?

But no, you have that third party, the bastard. He's in the back, and he doesn't really have a stake in the fight, but he doesn't care, you see, because he is just a prick, a bastard, so he says to the first guy "Dude, people are talking mad shit, bro, you gonna take that, bro? You better handle this, bro!" so the first guy get's all fired up beyond reason. Meanwhile the bastard goes to the second guy and starts talking shit to him, like "Dude you suck, man, and this is such a big deal, everyone thinks so. The whole high school is going to think you're a loser" so now the second guy can't lose.

So what should be nothing is now something.

And what we have now is just a whole bunch of high school drama instigated by a prick bastard named Trump who doesn't even really care about it.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I think the dumbest part of this all for me is that a ton more players took a knee this week. If they actually gave a shit about the message Kaepernick was trying to send they wouldn't have waited until it was a huge spectacle to join in. It makes it seem like they just wanted to join in on the controversy after Trump's comments rather than actually protest injustice.

@InEMplease said:

@plageus900: "People also seem to think that the flag and our nation's anthem exclusively represents our armed forces."

What a silly idea.

You're right, it's not silly. It's down right stupid. The Flag represents our nation as a whole. Every single person. The armed forces fight for the United States, and every victory they claim, they claim for everyone in the US, that's why they plant the flag. It's not for them, it's for everyone back home. Hell, the flag is made up of non-military parts, the stars for each state and the stripes for the original colonies. How does it only represent the military? What a joke.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178813 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse: They were protesting what trump said.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: They were protesting what trump said.

I could buy that, but the players and coaches claimed otherwise in the press conferences and media releases I saw. They claimed it was all about injustice when it was really just about Trump. Even if they did only do it to protest Trump, don't you think that kind of drowns out the original, much more important, message? I'm all for a Trump protest, but it seemed very counter-productive if that was their goal.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@n64dd:

I actually agree with you and the guy in the video on this one N64.

I'm sick of the idiots who disrespect the flag of the country that allowed them to make millions playing a freaking game.

I understand freedom of action in this great country, but there are basic common sense things you do not do, you show respect to the country and representative flag that provided you with the freedom to have a great life. It has nothing to do with the issues.

I voted for Hillary Clinton but I agree with Donald Trump on this issue, it's just a basic thing you do, but so many people are such frigging lost idiots that can't separate issues from being grateful they live and prosper in a great country.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

It's about standing up for what the flag is supposed to represent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

This reminds me of the episode of Futurama where Zoidberg eats a flag.

I'll say the people getting angry about this are far more anti-american than those that kneel during the anthem.