A red state has the worst poverty in the developed world.

• 151 results
#1 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

Alabama has the worst poverty in the developed world. Wow.

Conservativism fails on all levels. It's amazing why voters don't see this. All conservativism does is foster poverty and ignorance.

Not even the poorest inner city areas in any blue state are half as bad as Alabama. This is what Republicans do though, right? Keep their voters in poverty, then blame it all on "big gubment".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-worst-poverty-developed-world-152119314.html

#2 Posted by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -

Even I don't think a simple switch of political ideology is going to change this.

#3 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

Switching political ideologies is going to be a great start. The first step would be to stop blaming Democrats and government for the problems that failed right wing economic policy creates.

#4 Edited by IvanGrozny (720 posts) -

After 8 years of Obama presidency their life has not improved, and you expect them to vote for another democrat? Furthermore, you are trying to blackmail them into changing their political stance in exchange for a promise of raising their life conditions if they do so? Yeah i wonder why they don't vote democrats lol

#5 Edited by TOOLFRENZY (558 posts) -

@joebones5000:

They’ve obviously never walked through skid row.

#6 Posted by Drunk_PI (2689 posts) -

@ivangrozny said:

After 8 years of Obama presidency their life has not improved, and you expect them to vote for another democrat? Furthermore, you are trying to blackmail them into changing their political stance in exchange for a promise of raising their life conditions if they do so? Yeah i wonder why they don't vote democrats lol

First off, Alabama voted for McCain and Romney in the 2008 and 2012 election respectively. In addition, Alabama (and this includes all states as well) elect their own governors, mayors, board of supervisors, state legislators, and so on. Most of them are also Republican.

Second, contrary to what people think, the president of the U.S. does not have full control on how states operate. The inner workings on how a state is run depends on the governor and state legislatures, and to go down even further, depends on local leadership.

And third, this isn't blackmail. Alabama does have significant problems courtesy of ill-conceived and backward policies courtesy of the Alabama GOP. If the other party is offering an opportunity to better the lives of the people of Alabama, that's not blackmail, that's campaigning. That's how democracies work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#7 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

Yup, the poorest, dumbest, fattest, and just overall lowest quality of life states are all conservative states lol. The irony of it all is they're also the states that take more from the government than they give in.

Nothing really you can do, tbh. Can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

#8 Posted by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -

@drunk_pi said:
@ivangrozny said:

First off, Alabama voted for McCain and Romney in the 2008 and 2012 election respectively. In addition, Alabama (and this includes all states as well) elect their own governors, mayors, board of supervisors, state legislators, and so on. Most of them are also Republican.

Second, contrary to what people think, the president of the U.S. does not have full control on how states operate. The inner workings on how a state is run depends on the governor and state legislatures, and to go down even further, depends on local leadership.

And third, this isn't blackmail. Alabama does have significant problems courtesy of ill-conceived and backward policies courtesy of the Alabama GOP. If the other party is offering an opportunity to better the lives of the people of Alabama, that's not blackmail, that's campaigning. That's how democracies work.

No offense, but I don't see why any of this says, "Vote Democrat" beyond trying something new. I mean, for me that would be a good enough reason, but why would I (a republican in Alabama) suddenly put my trust in a party that was in power for 8 years that did very little to cater to my state or try to improve it? Yes, I'm aware Obamacare likely helped people, but where was the attempt to bring in business so that people could have more money to afford that insurance or anything else for that matter? Not to mention all the social issues that dems differ from the majority of Alabama on.

To me this may just come down to the idea that the best way to get someone to do something is to get them to want to do it. If the Democratic party wants Alabama to vote for them, then they are going to have to try to give them something that they want to incentivise the people of Alabama to vote for them. Looking at it from a conservative perspective I think people would want something not being offered currently by even the republicans which means most social issues are out (examples religion, guns, abortion), but perhaps good jobs might be enough of an incentive to get them to vote for the Dems. Here's the kicker, democrat politicians will have to take on this endeavor with zero assurances that it will work and likely little to no support from their base for doing so. That makes it highly unlikely this will happen and Alabama will forever vote for different flavors of republican because at least they stand for the things that the people of the state care about.

#9 Edited by Frank_Castle (1982 posts) -

@drunk_pi: So what’s the excuse for an extremely liberal, crime ridden and politically corrupt shithole like Chicago aka Obama’s home town?

It became the murder capital of the country during his presidency and has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, yet gang violence is still rampant.

I love how liberals think they have all the answers.

#10 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41603 posts) -

Not surprising; when you look at the rest of the world, the poorest countries tend to be the most conservative and religious places.

Kind of baffling, to be honest; I don't understand how any state with access to the ocean and the natural resources of Alabama can be the most poverty-stricken place in the world.

The real tragedy here, however, is how any place in the United States is so poor, especially given how the red states and Republicans tend to use so much government aid.

What's the second poorest place in the world? Mississippi?

@frank_castle said:

@drunk_pi: So what’s the excuse for an extremely liberal, crime ridden and politically corrupt shithole like Chicago aka Obama’s home town?

It became the murder capital of the country during his presidency and has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, yet gang violence is still rampant.

Well at least it's not Alabama. And I don't think anyone is saying liberals have all the answers.

#11 Edited by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@frank_castle: The guns in Chicago come from outside the state from states with lax gun laws like Indiana and Missouri.

#12 Posted by Horgen (118103 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@frank_castle: The guns in Chicago come from outside the state from states with lax gun laws like Indiana and Missouri.

And we are off topic...

How is the education in Alabama?

#13 Posted by DaBrainz (7959 posts) -

The blue states are dominated by the homeless by far. I don't think the Dems are going to swoop in and help anybody.

#14 Posted by Maroxad (14846 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Even I don't think a simple switch of political ideology is going to change this.

Neither do I.

The current state of Alabama is due to a myriad of complex, and interconnected reasons, as opposed to a single root cause like simplistic ideologues like to paint it as.

#15 Posted by mark1974 (4249 posts) -

@frank_castle: I don't think you know anything about Chicago and only repeat what you hear from right wing media. Chicago does not even rank in the top 100 cities for murders per capita. It's also a very expensive city to live in and far from a shit hole. Trump even owns the best skyscraper any one has ever seen in its skyline.

#18 Posted by Drunk_PI (2689 posts) -

@frank_castle said:

Correction: St. Louis is the murder capital in the United States.

#19 Posted by Frank_Castle (1982 posts) -

@mark1974: They had over 570 homicides as of October 2017 and over 3,000 shootings.

Pretty exponential

#20 Posted by PraetorianMan (1914 posts) -

@frank_castle: you don’t even know what exponential means

#21 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

@ivangrozny said:

lol. They never voted for Obama in the first place. They kept on electing the same crooked republicans with the same bad policies that have made them the poorest in the world, and they're about to do it again with Roy Moore.

#22 Posted by KOD (2754 posts) -

@Maroxad said:
@Serraph105 said:

Neither do I.

The current state of Alabama is due to a myriad of complex, and interconnected reasons, as opposed to a single root cause like simplistic ideologues like to paint it as.

I saw a documentary a couple years ago about how Alabama has a law that allows people who don't pay rent or are even late on rent, to be arrested and sentenced.

#23 Posted by N64DD (10454 posts) -
Loading Video...

#24 Edited by comp_atkins (35157 posts) -

@frank_castle said:

@mark1974: They had over 570 homicides as of October 2017 and over 3,000 shootings.

Pretty exponential

well that was easy.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

#25 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

Lol. Frank cattle done owned himself... Again. Lol.

#26 Posted by Horgen (118103 posts) -

@frank_castle said:

Yeah, what about it? How is it relevant to this topic?

Or should I rephrase the question? If one blue city has a shooting problem, does that mean all of them have? If one red state is poor, does that mean all of them are poor?

Why should anyone vote for republicans, look at Alabama. Worst poverty in the developed world. Why would anyone want that? What is the excuse for Alabama having the worst poverty in the developed world?

@comp_atkins said:
@frank_castle said:

Pretty exponential

well that was easy.

Clearly fake news. :P

#27 Posted by Maroxad (14846 posts) -

@kod said:
@Maroxad said:
@Serraph105 said:

Neither do I.

I saw a documentary a couple years ago about how Alabama has a law that allows people who don't pay rent or are even late on rent, to be arrested and sentenced.

Now, that is pretty disturbing.

I was once late on paying rent due to a slight issue with my bank. My landlord merely said it's fine, and said they hope I could gain access to my bank soon enough.

#28 Posted by pyro1245 (3917 posts) -

Amazing is one word you could use to describe voters doing the things they do.....

#29 Posted by Wolfgang133 (66 posts) -

Murder capital of US? How about New Orleans? From what I hear they have one of the highest murder rates in the country.

Also when I was there I read in a pamphlet at a guesthouse I was staying at that half the children in New Orleans live in poverty.

One of the workers at the guesthouse an African-American himself explained that the reason is that half the children in New Orleans are black.

Basically he was telling me that majority of blacks there tend to live below poverty line.

Where there is poverty there is crime and usually a lot of it.

#30 Posted by TOOLFRENZY (558 posts) -
@comp_atkins said:
@frank_castle said:

Pretty exponential

well that was easy.

#31 Posted by Serraph105 (32576 posts) -
@TOOLFRENZY said:
@comp_atkins said:
@frank_castle said:

Pretty exponential

well that was easy.

DAYUM! So much ownage. And hell, two places in Bama outranking your hated city of Chicago.

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (164658 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@drunk_pi said:

No offense, but I don't see why any of this says, "Vote Democrat" beyond trying something new. I mean, for me that would be a good enough reason, but why would I (a republican in Alabama) suddenly put my trust in a party that was in power for 8 years that did very little to cater to my state or try to improve it? Yes, I'm aware Obamacare likely helped people, but where was the attempt to bring in business so that people could have more money to afford that insurance or anything else for that matter? Not to mention all the social issues that dems differ from the majority of Alabama on.

To me this may just come down to the idea that the best way to get someone to do something is to get them to want to do it. If the Democratic party wants Alabama to vote for them, then they are going to have to try to give them something that they want to incentivise the people of Alabama to vote for them. Looking at it from a conservative perspective I think people would want something not being offered currently by even the republicans which means most social issues are out (examples religion, guns, abortion), but perhaps good jobs might be enough of an incentive to get them to vote for the Dems. Here's the kicker, democrat politicians will have to take on this endeavor with zero assurances that it will work and likely little to no support from their base for doing so. That makes it highly unlikely this will happen and Alabama will forever vote for different flavors of republican because at least they stand for the things that the people of the state care about.

The Republican party has their constituency brainwashed over abortion and guns.

#33 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@drunk_pi said:

The Republican party has their constituency brainwashed over abortion and guns.

And pretend socialism and communism.

#34 Posted by mark1974 (4249 posts) -

@joebones5000: and they consider "socialism" a bad word without knowing what it means.

#35 Edited by Jacanuk (15749 posts) -

@joebones5000: LOL you are a funny troll. But at least you got someone to bite i see.

And of course communism is the way forward right?

#36 Edited by TryIt (10710 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@joebones5000: LOL you are a funny troll. But at least you got someone to bite i see.

And of course communismen is the way forward right?

clearly corporate socialism with welfare that makes social welfare look like small time which is a Republicans dream come true is the best approach

#37 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Apparently, it's the way forward for Putin-loving Republicans...

#38 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

What is “communismen”? For someone who thinks he’s so smart you sure type like a first grader, lol.

#39 Posted by Jacanuk (15749 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

What is “communismen”? For someone who thinks he’s so smart you sure type like a first grader, lol.

Wow you got me there.

Poor Canadian Blue. But i guess when you have nothing else it´s the small things right?

#40 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wow you got me there.

Poor Canadian Blue. But i guess when you have nothing else it´s the small things right?

Lol not at all, m8. I got plenty going for me just pointing out your low ability to communicate. :)

#41 Posted by DrLostRib (4125 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wow you got me there.

why does it matter that he's Canadian?

#42 Posted by Jacanuk (15749 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wow you got me there.

Lol not at all, m8. I got plenty going for me just pointing out your low ability to communicate. :)

Maybe you should focus on your low ability to debate probably without turning to pettiness.

But hey i know being Canadian is hard enough on you, so I know you need to take pleasure from the small things.

And being in a country that has close ties with Cuba i guess you have to defend the ideology as well.

#43 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19486 posts) -
@joebones5000 said:

Switching political ideologies is going to be a great start. The first step would be to stop blaming Democrats and government for the problems that failed right wing economic policy creates.

Tell that to Detroit and Chicago.

#44 Posted by DrLostRib (4125 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wow you got me there.

Maybe you should focus on your low ability to debate probably without turning to pettiness.

But hey i know being Canadian is hard enough on you, so I know you need to take pleasure from the small things.

And being in a country that has close ties with Cuba i guess you have to defend the ideology as well.

I think this needed a little more focus

#45 Posted by joebones5000 (1839 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:
@joebones5000 said:

Tell that to Detroit and Chicago.

You mean two cities that have less poverty than Alabama? LOL. Yeah, you didn't think that one through. Let me take a wild guess.....Trump voter?

ha ha.

#46 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Jacanuk: I don’t think pointing out your poor ability to communicate on a forum is petty, no. If you can’t communicate your thoughts then that’s an impediment to discourse.

#47 Posted by Jacanuk (15749 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@Jacanuk: I don’t think pointing out your poor ability to communicate on a forum is petty, no. If you can’t communicate your thoughts then that’s an impediment to discourse.

You are doing some nice mental gymanstics there,

Also do yourself a favour and go read up on how you debate. You are after all on a debate forum and not in a school where your childish behaviour would be more accepted.

#48 Posted by Maroxad (14846 posts) -

@perfect_blue: Jacanuk may be a complete moron. But pointing out his poor grammar, is pretty fallacious and has little to do with the merits of his own argument. Not saying his arguments carry any merits, but still.

#49 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@perfect_blue: Jacanuk may be a complete moron. But pointing out his poor grammar, is pretty fallacious and has little to do with the merits of his own argument. Not saying his arguments carry any merits, but still.

I don’t recall saying anything about the merits of his argument.

Even if I did, that wouldn’t be fallacious in this case lol. An ad hominem isn’t a fallacy when it’s an attack on the person’s credibility... in this case his spelling and grammar.

#50 Posted by SUD123456 (5115 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

Yup, the poorest, dumbest, fattest, and just overall lowest quality of life states are all conservative states lol. The irony of it all is they're also the states that take more from the government than they give in.

Nothing really you can do, tbh. Can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

You are supposed to be better than this. What do you think the report is going to say about the poorest counties in California, or DC, or Puerto Rico, or even W Virginia? You can bet he is going to dump on every one of the counties he is visiting....given that he is visiting these particular places for a reason.

Poverty in the US is far more complex than red vs blue.