1st 2020 Democratic Primary Debate Thread.

• 68 results
#1 Edited by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

Tomorrow night starts the 1st debate of the primaries for the Democratic nomination. With 20 candidates qualifying for the debates it will be split over 2 nights. The debate will be in Miami, Florida starting at 9:00pm ET and will be transmitted/hosted by NBC News, MSNBC and Telemundo.

The DNC Tried To Avoid A Lopsided Debate. It Got One Anyway.

What We Know About The Impact Of Primary Debates

What are your expectations for the debate?

#2 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10902 posts) -

I'm not really sure to expect anything new to be honest. The one thing is that I see Biden getting some heat in night 2. This is the time for the low % candidates to hit hard and make a name for themselves, especially against Biden/Sanders. Sanders has the chance to really dig into Biden's positions since they are essentially going head to head.

Honestly, I don't usually watch debates (not a fan). I'll read the transcripts afterwards.

#3 Posted by plageus900 (2722 posts) -

I really should watch these, even though I won't get a chance. This will be the first time I vote for a Democrat in the presidential election.

#4 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1923 posts) -

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss these ones, but things are going to get pretty interesting at some point.

If you look at the polls and add up the more progressive candidates (mainly Sanders, Harris, Warren, Buttigieg) it's about 45-50%, which leads me to believe about half of Dems want the party to be much more progressive. They just may get their candidate, because Biden sucks balls at debating, especially with fellow democrats.

#5 Posted by jeezers (3185 posts) -

tulsi and yang. The rest can frig off

#6 Edited by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

I’m expecting them to tear each other apart in talking about how they are the one that can make Donald Trump a one term president. Since I’m independent but registered as a Republican for the purpose of voting in the primaries in Texas, I’ll probably skip them (trying to finish as much of Master Mode on BOTW as I can before Super Mario Maker 2 comes out on Friday) and catch the highlights later.

Ironically, the only candidate I may actually consider voting for over Trump if they were the nominee (Tulsi Gabbard) and Trump looked like he was going to lose doesn’t have a chance of getting the nomination. Apparently, too many people view her as a DINO and were pissed off when she met with Trump at Trump Tower after he won the election.

#7 Edited by watercrack445 (1749 posts) -

The top of the first and second one are well-known figures while the bottom of the first and second one are not very well-known. See it for yourself.

#8 Edited by N64DD (11970 posts) -

Watch the rats eat other.

#9 Posted by Horgen (120944 posts) -

@n64dd said:

Watch the rats each other.

Eat? Blow? Play? Kill? Highfive? There are so many possibilities :P

#10 Posted by N64DD (11970 posts) -

@horgen: lol fixed

#11 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

Ummm, that's actually good branding. It can be turned on her but you worry about that letter. With the way polls have moved recently and finding her footing regarding messaging Warren's campaign has to be feeling good. Lets see how she does tonight.

#12 Posted by mattbbpl (17378 posts) -

@Master_Live: Us policy wonks are pretty excited about how Warren has positioned herself.

#13 Posted by Heirren (2272 posts) -

Wow these are the clowns the democrats are running?!

#16 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -

From what I'm hearing (do not want to watch, not in the mood after work today, watched EPN instead), Tulsi makes an ass of herself... of course.

#17 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

Amy, wow, lets say, that look is unflattering to you. The hair, the make up and the neck. Gee, couldn't someone tell her to wear something that would cover the upper area of the chest/ lower part of the neck.

Kind of dig the whole grandma look for Warren.

#18 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

#19 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -

@Master_Live: "But Gabbard's the progressive one..."

#21 Posted by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

#23 Edited by Heirren (2272 posts) -

Inslee: " climate change #1 priority...."

Ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahhaa ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahhaahahahhahahaa ahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaaah

Would like to hear his plan to alter the earths rotation.

#24 Edited by jeezers (3185 posts) -

@ad1x2: lmao

#25 Posted by watercrack445 (1749 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

Lol, Trump is an idiot. His whole presidency is boring.

#26 Posted by Heirren (2272 posts) -

@watercrack445:

Nah hes hilarious.

#27 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -

Right-wing screwballs (including Mike "waah, James Gunn got his job at Marvel back" Cernovich) are praising Tulsi. Of course... she is the Trump of the Democratic Party.

#28 Edited by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

I wouldn't call it a mistake, because she was just being honest and one believes what one believes but that answer Warren gave regarding Single-Payer, especially how the question was worded: "phasing out employer based insurance" (I'm paraphrasing) could prove to be highly problematic on a general election campaign. It isn't merely her position but the whole setup couldn't be scripted any better even Republicans wanted to.

Others seem to agree with me:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/warren-makes-risky-call-to-end-private-health-insurance.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_campaign=di&utm_source=tw

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/27/elizabeth-warren-debate-landmine-227241

#29 Posted by KungfuKitten (26749 posts) -

Where can you watch the debates?

#30 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

Where can you watch the debates?

If you are interested in yesterday's debate you can watch it here:

Loading Video...

#31 Edited by KungfuKitten (26749 posts) -

@Master_Live: Cool, thanks.

I was going to say: 5 hours seems a little short for such a large debate.

In my national debates they allow candidates to ask a follow up question to another candidate. And I kind of like that system because it highlights the differences between two candidates. But I suppose if your talkers are all 'on the same team' in a way, maybe that's scary to do. On the other hand, you don't want the votes to be divvied up too much in a 2 party system like the USA, I imagine.

I do like that they don't immediately kill reactions so far. At first I thought they wouldn't allow for it, and I would have a problem with them asking select questions to select candidates. But if this continues throughout the debate I am OK with that.

So far, Elizabeth Warren is positively surprising me a little. She seems to be understanding the severity of the position of powerful companies. Julian Castro is more weasely than I expected. He is using too many tricks.

They do a pretty bad job at making them talk one at a time though. >__<

I think Amy Klobuchar makes a very old, very important, and very wrong argument about needing more immigrants to fill jobs. Been there, done that, never works. If it is true (which it never is) you created too many jobs to fill and set up this problem to happen. As long as there is still healthy unemployment, there is no reason the unemployed people cannot take up the worst jobs in the system. Excuse me, how many homeless people do you have? If I understand correctly from my American friends, big cities in the USA all have known places where herds of homeless people can be found. People in need of an income, healthcare and stability. Inviting immigrants to fill shitty jobs that nobody wants to do, does more harm than good. It creates a divide between those communities and the rest of the population, they will have worse working conditions and push Americans out who will then become antagonistic to immigration. Even the immigrants will become antagonistic to immigration and you will have a big mess. If you can help more immigrants, fantastic. But you'll never really need more immigrants.

Same with pensions and healthcare in general. If it's based on the idea that the population keeps increasing... then that's a f'd up system that needs to be adjusted to be sustainable. The solution for that is not to pull in people for the sake of supporting the elderly. You have to make your economy function without a constant influx of people or you're going to invite tons of (costly) problems while foregoing fixing the actual problems with your system that is inevitable f'ing big chunks of your population.

#32 Posted by Sevenizz (4026 posts) -

Thanks for guaranteeing Trump’s reelection, Democrats. That was beyond awful.

Trump 2020!

#33 Posted by mattbbpl (17378 posts) -

@Master_Live: Regarding Warren on healthcare, it's gutsy and she's right. I give her credit on both counts.

#34 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166919 posts) -

@heirren said:

Wow these are the clowns the democrats are running?!

As opposed to the idiot in office?

#35 Posted by comp_atkins (35805 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:
@ad1x2 said:

Lol, Trump is an idiot. His whole presidency is boring.

embarrassing is the word you're looking for.

#36 Posted by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Right-wing screwballs (including Mike "waah, James Gunn got his job at Marvel back" Cernovich) are praising Tulsi. Of course... she is the Trump of the Democratic Party.

Looks like she hits a nerve with Democrats for some reason since a few people on the right like her. Despite that, she was the most searched candidate during the debates:

Of course, a few Tulsi haters that probably hate Trump too blamed Russian bots. Too bad, since Democrats have a better chance taking back the White House with a semi-normal candidate like her than someone that is too far to the left.

Since the goal is to make Trump a one term president by any means necessary, in the unlikely situation that she wins the nomination would you vote for her then or would you just stay home? I’m sure that you won’t vote for Trump no matter who his opponent is.

#37 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -
@ad1x2 said:

Looks like she hits a nerve with Democrats for some reason since a few people on the right like her. Despite that, she was the most searched candidate during the debates:

Of course, a few Tulsi haters that probably hate Trump too blamed Russian bots. Too bad, since Democrats have a better chance taking back the White House with a semi-normal candidate like her than someone that is too far to the left.

Since the goal is to make Trump a one term president by any means necessary, in the unlikely situation that she wins the nomination would you vote for her then or would you just stay home? I’m sure that you won’t vote for Trump no matter who his opponent is.

Pray tell, who is far left in the Democratic Party that is running for 2020? Because it isn't Warren, it isn't Kamala, it isn't Beto, and it sure as hell ain't Biden.

And I'm not surprised my backwards, LDS puppeted state of Utah would be searching for Tulsi like mad.

If I had to... I guess I would, but only because it's not so much "lesser of two or more evils" but that it's easier to impeach a Democrat (see: Clinton) than it is a Republican (see: Trump).

#38 Posted by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:
@ad1x2 said:

Pray tell, who is far left in the Democratic Party that is running for 2020? Because it isn't Warren, it isn't Kamala, it isn't Beto, and it sure as hell ain't Biden.

And I'm not surprised my backwards, LDS puppeted state of Utah would be searching for Tulsi like mad.

If I had to... I guess I would, but only because it's not so much "lesser of two or more evils" but that it's easier to impeach a Democrat (see: Clinton) than it is a Republican (see: Trump).

I said certain candidates are moving farther to the left, that doesn’t mean they are absolutely far-left by definition. But to answer your question, several candidates have been trying to outdo each other for the purpose of pandering to the crowd that follows AOC and other freshmen politicians like her religiously. Some examples include the following:

• Beto practically apologizing for being white, and his promise to not only stop wall construction (a common desire among many Democrats), but to take it a step farther and tear down parts of the wall that have already been built. There is absolutely no reason to tear down what is already up unless you are trying to make it easier for migrants to cross illegally, because while you can dig a tunnel in a few hours, you can cross an empty patch of land in a few minutes.
  • Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders vowing to get rid of 1.4 trillion dollars of student loan debt. Nevermind the people that worked hard to pay off their own debt, or the people that didn’t have debt to begin with because they either paid for it up front, earned a full ride scholarship, or joined the military and used military tuition assistance and/or the GI Bill.
  • Kamala Harris vowing to outlaw private insurance and make everything fall under the government. Lots of veterans that have to deal with the VA will tell you how they feel about government-ran healthcare.
  • At least two male candidates vowing to select a female running-mate no matter what. Nothing wrong with a woman running, but that kind of promise is just pandering to the people that want a woman president by giving them a consolation prize (Sarah Palin didn’t count because she was on the Republican ticket and was pretty much nuts) and ignores whether or not the woman they select is more qualified than other men willing to join their ticket.
#39 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -

@ad1x2: What next, do you find addressing climate change a "far left" ideology?

#40 Posted by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: You can be farther to the left without meeting the textbook definition of far-left. I wouldn’t consider the vast majority of the candidates as. “far-left” but there are candidates that are obviously farther left than others. Also, while I don’t agree with people that claim climate change is a hoax, I also don’t agree with the idea of us trying to spend more than the combined global GDP on AOC’s Green New Deal.

#41 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (1923 posts) -

Media already blaming Russia for Tusli's popularity.

Maybe Americans are just tired of nearly 20 years of war.

#42 Posted by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

Yeah, like, why is Tulsi the only anti-war candidate? Frankly, I think the issue of ending these wars is so important that I could see myself casting a vote for her if I could.

#43 Posted by jeezers (3185 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Media already blaming Russia for Tusli's popularity.

Maybe Americans are just tired of nearly 20 years of war.

that video is amazing lol of coarse TYT isnt going to put her on the poll, why would democrats want the message of ending the military industrial complex to spread???? If tulsi was a real democrat she would focus on the gender pay gap and reparations lol

#44 Posted by Vaasman (13817 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Tulsi literally ignored her economic question to rant about 9/11, her military career, and the military complex. I'm fairly convinced they like her because she came off as vapid compared to the frontrunners of the group who were laying out genuine domestic policy considerations. Or perhaps they just like that she owned the libs by calling out Tim "suicide by words" Ryan for his terrible answer to the war related questions.

#45 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36482 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: @Master_Live: Lol. Tulsi is "anti-war" the same way Peter King is "anti-terrorist".

#46 Edited by Master_Live (19668 posts) -

#47 Posted by ad1x2 (7671 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Yeah, like, why is Tulsi the only anti-war candidate? Frankly, I think the issue of ending these wars is so important that I could see myself casting a vote for her if I could.

Maybe because she is one of only two candidates that served in the military (Buttigieg is the other) and deployed to a combat zone? Sometimes seeing it first hand versus watching it on CNN or hearing about it thought briefings can change your view.

#48 Edited by DaVillain- (37605 posts) -

I say this as someone is cool with Bernie, he was awful tonight too! Dodging questions, kind of incoherent through most of it. He’s the second biggest loser behind Biden.

It was really smart of Harris to go after Biden the way she did. It was necessary if she hopes to catch up to him in the polls but it also made her look like someone who's not going to get pushed around by Trump if she's the nominee. Harris definitely won the night, but I don't know that creating a sound-byte will be enough for a lasting victory. Especially since she personally brought her time as AG into the fray, which is not nearly as squeaky clean as she wants us to think. I think Pete will get the most mileage out of his time tonight, even if he didn't have nearly the showing Harris did.

#49 Posted by Nuck81 (7713 posts) -

K.H/M.O 2020

#50 Posted by R-Gamer (465 posts) -

Watching these debates remind me of why I could never vote Democrat.