Your favorite all time PS3 game stories?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 riff_farmer
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

Hello all,

So with the PS4 on the horizon, I want to make sure I havn't overlooked any titles worth checking out before the ol PS3 gets retired (plus I'm itching to pick up some new games). I would like to kow what PS3 games (obvious or not so obvious) really impressed you with their storytelling. Some of my personal favorites were:

1. Red Dead Redemption:I actually restarted the game where John gets shot outside the farmhouse by the bureau agents & his gang thinking I could change the story!!! What an ending as well.
  2. Demon Souls/Dark Souls: Dark Fantasy with a tense and mystifying story. Great, great games!

Let me (and everyone else) know what some of your favorites are and feel free to explain why. Hopefully you can persuade me to pick up some titles I havn't yet tried!!!

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Skyrim

Red Dead

Far Cry 3

All of the Uncharted Games

Ni No Kuni

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

I really liked Far Cry 3 it was a game before Christmas I was thinking it look awful and not something that I would want to play. Then I thought I will give it ago and after playing it I loved the story. Other then that I liked the light heartened uncharted games stories and about to start my mass effect trilogy and I can only presume I'm going to like that.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 3

Skyrim

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#5 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Bioshock - My favourite game of all time, everything about it is practically perfect. The world is just as haunting as it is beautiful, the art design is amazing, the gameplay and concepts within it offer depth and unending enjoyment, and the story is a masterpiece with an unthinkably awesome twist. 10/10

Dead Space - A truly scary and gore-filled experience with stunning graphics and unique dismemberment gameplay that ratchets up the tension to unbelievably nervy heights. An added bonus with the intriguing story that is mysterious and horrifying, overall outstanding survival horror game. 10/10

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts
My in order Uncharted 2 Uncharted 3 God of war 1, 2,3 And finally Heavy Rain
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#7 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Red Dead Redemption

Heavy Rain

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 riff_farmer

Bioshock - My favourite game of all time, everything about it is practically perfect. The world is just as haunting as it is beautiful, the art design is amazing, the gameplay and concepts within it offer depth and unending enjoyment, and the story is a masterpiece with an unthinkably awesome twist. 10/10

Dead Space - A truly scary and gore-filled experience with stunning graphics and unique dismemberment gameplay that ratchets up the tension to unbelievably nervy heights. An added bonus with the intriguing story that is mysterious and horrifying, overall outstanding survival horror game. 10/10

Venom_Raptor

I've had my eye on both of these for awhile and considering they're so cheap now it would be alot of bang for my buck. I'll admit though I've gotten progressively wimpier and shy away from survival horror, although Resident Evil 2 is one of my all time favorite games.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I thought Dead Space 2 was better than DS1, but certainly play both... preferrably in a dark room with the sound turned up :D Your heart will get a workout!

First Bioshock was good. The 2nd one doesn't really polish or add anything to it though... just kind of a rehash of the same game.

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 riff_farmer

I really liked Far Cry 3 it was a game before Christmas I was thinking it look awful and not something that I would want to play. Then I thought I will give it ago and after playing it I loved the story. Other then that I liked the light heartened uncharted games stories and about to start my mass effect trilogy and I can only presume I'm going to like that.

ziggyww

ME 1 & 2 (especially 2) were great-you'll enjoy the experience.

I'm in the same boat you were as far as Far Cry 3 goes, but based on what you have said maybe I'll give it a go.

I tried Uncharted and for some reason couldn't really get into it. Wierd considering how much I like the Indiana Jones movies. I guess I enjoy more of a sci-fi/fantasy settting when it comes to games.

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 riff_farmer

I thought Dead Space 2 was better than DS1, but certainly play both... preferrably in a dark room with the sound turned up :D Your heart will get a workout!

First Bioshock was good. The 2nd one doesn't really polish or add anything to it though... just kind of a rehash of the same game.

DaRq_MiNoS

Thanks! I'll pick these up today for sure.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#12 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Heavy Rain

Catherine

Valkyria Chronicles

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite story in a PS3 game. Also my favorite PS3 game.

Ni No Kuni's story is also delightful so far.

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 riff_farmer

Heavy Rain

Catherine

Valkyria Chronicles

Lucky_Krystal

Heavy Rain seems to keep popping up on a few people's lists. looks intriguing.

Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

Catherine and MGS4 are probly on my top. I also really like FF13's story.

KIERON93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KIERON93
Member since 2012 • 52 Posts
The mass effect series, RDR, far cry 3, uncharted series, the resistance series I liked the storyline
leo_andres_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 leo_andres_21
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

1st Metal Gear Solid 4

2nd Heavy Rain

3rd Catherine (Just because)

Haven't played Ni No Kuni, but it does look promising. And God of War dialogue is too stale for my liking

DangerRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DangerRemix
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts
Metal Gear Solid series Uncharted series Socom series (which this gen it flat out SUCKS) Also enjoyed, heavy rain story.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

the mass effect series is my favourite story of this gen, and also my favourite games of this gen. MGS4 also had a great story, although im not sure i understood it all lol. it was awesome though nonetheless just seeing old snake be a bad ass. red dead redemption was also really great. the OP mentioned demon/dark souls, wtf? am i missing something cuz it seemed like they didn't have much of a story at all.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Sleeping Dogs

Darksider 1 & 2

Resistance 3 campaign

Lord of Shadows

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 riff_farmer

the OP mentioned demon/dark souls, wtf? am i missing something cuz it seemed like they didn't have much of a story at all.

idunnodude

lol in many ways you are very right. other than the over arching context of each game, there wasn't an obvious storyline to follow. I guess I enjoyed the "wonder" each game presents to the player. It's nice to see a game designer not rely on a heavy handed approach to storytelling, especially with a dark fantasy series like the Soul series.

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 riff_farmer

Sleeping Dogs

Darksider 1 & 2

Resistance 3 campaign

Lord of Shadows

ristactionjakso

As someone who gravitates towards crime drama in film, Sleeping Dogs was a nice homage to that film genre and maybe more particularly hong kong crime films.

I actually ordered Lord of Shadows a few days ago as well. Can't wait! I was a huge fan of Castlevania 2:Simon's quest on the NES and this will be my next Castlevania game since then!!!

riff_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 riff_farmer

Metal Gear Solid series DangerRemix

MGS gets top marks in game reviews. I wonder though if the story will grab me. MG for the NES I was super into, but these ninja soldiers or whatever Solid Snake has to fight doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I should buy the MGS HD collection and try that?

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts

While the story itself is very short and by no means stellar, I loved the way the story was presented in Little Big Planet. I found it a very creative way to tell stories. Of course there are plenty great user created story levels out there as well.

Another favorite of mine would be both Portal and Portal 2. Again the story is short but it leaves you to discover and realize little plot points by observing your surroundings. It does this in a very indirect and subtle way rather than spelling out everything for you.

Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

The Uncharted story is an interesting one in all 3 Games.
In Final Fantasy games there were a few times when i felt an great journey before me.
God Of War III, because if you were thinking that you will fight the Olympic Gods, you knew it's going to get full of action.
Little Big Planet it's because of 3 things. 1.The guy talking had such a nice voice that it sounded like a goodnight story. 2.I remember loving Kingsley's Adventure on PSX and the blubering characters with just text written on in LBP remind me of it, and 3.because it all fittet great in this game.
MGS Story-you know why :P

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

demon's souls: the structure is so good with immediate information right in front of the player through the level design but really important stuff for the overall story getting hidden away. also, i love how they take one of the most basic video games urges, the desire to level up, and turn it into a dark addiction (or maybe they only labeled it better).

limbo: it's an uncomplicated story told with few ingredients. the plot itself isn't much different than mario saving the princess. the difference is the storytelling, which goes through great lengths to give motivations through the environment.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Sleeping Dogs

Darksider 1 & 2

Resistance 3 campaign

Lord of Shadows

riff_farmer

As someone who gravitates towards crime drama in film, Sleeping Dogs was a nice homage to that film genre and maybe more particularly hong kong crime films.

I actually ordered Lord of Shadows a few days ago as well. Can't wait! I was a huge fan of Castlevania 2:Simon's quest on the NES and this will be my next Castlevania game since then!!!

You are going to like it. The only thing I found wierd is the way they tell the story about how Gabriel has all this rage and anger, but he NEVER shows it. Gabriel after the first half of the game shows little to no emotion. But other than that, the game is great, has a awesome very fluid combat system.