XX Warning XX The Yellow Light can shine on you!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MontanaJefe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MontanaJefe
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

Today my PS3 has decided to stop working and demanded i do my part to help stimulate the economy by giving an additional $150 to Sony. I don't think this was part of Obama's planned redistribution of wealth. I give Sony credit, so far the process to get it fixed has been fast and friendly, i just hope it stays that way.

The main point of this is a simple warning. I took great care, I mean GREAT care of my PS3. Surge suppressor at the breaker box, APU w/surge protector at the plug in. Nothing with in afoot of the unit, and nothing above the unit to obstruct air flow. I never did the folding at home, or let it run for long periods with nothing to do. Its never been dropped, kicked, slapped, or taken out of the house. Its been air can cleaned regularly. Yes, I have used it a lot over the last 27 months, 15-18 hrs a week,but that is what you do with a PS3. And still I fell victim the the Light. Now my 60 Gig gets to go back to Sony and it may not return. Was told it would be replaced with another 60 Gig if repairs could not be made. But even if repairs are successful they will have to format my drive, erasing all my info. For me a hard lesson learned is, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, to safe guard my files. I know there are other ways to retrieve the data, but do you know how hard it is to convince a friend to let you swap out hard drives.

sweet1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 sweet1234
Member since 2003 • 196 Posts

Same thing happened with my 60 Gb ps3 R.I.P but now I got a 40 Gb and I am happy.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

this is happening to everybody these days

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Taking your HDD out will prompt reformat when reinstalling it in a PS3, even the original one it was in. Did you upgrade the original 60GB? I've seen some talk about the yellow light being related to HDD failure. I'm on a launch day 60GB (came with Telladega) upgraded the HDD twice for capacity's sake and no issues to this day.
theROOTS420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 theROOTS420
Member since 2008 • 408 Posts

Thats total BS. You payed over $400+ for this system, it breaks on you and they charge you 150$ to fix it?!?!?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Thats total BS. You payed over $400+ for this system, it breaks on you and they charge you 150$ to fix it?!?!?theROOTS420
It's out of warranty. Electronics typically fail within a year if it's manufacturing defect.
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Well that's not fun. To be honest I havent heard about too many PS3s breaking. Granted it doesnt help you any. But seriously, we are talking about electronics...mass produced electronics at that. Failure is almost a certainty at some point. However, to play devil's advocate with myself...I nvr had a problem with ps1, or ps2...could it be that as consoles get more powerful that they're more prone to breakage? Sad sad sad :(
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
another 60 gig bites the dust - sorry dude - i back up all my saves ones a week
_Ben99_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 _Ben99_
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts

Today my PS3 has decided to stop working and demanded i do my part to help stimulate the economy by giving an additional $150 to Sony. I don't think this was part of Obama's planned redistribution of wealth. I give Sony credit, so far the process to get it fixed has been fast and friendly, i just hope it stays that way.

The main point of this is a simple warning. I took great care, I mean GREAT care of my PS3. Surge suppressor at the breaker box, APU w/surge protector at the plug in. Nothing with in afoot of the unit, and nothing above the unit to obstruct air flow. I never did the folding at home, or let it run for long periods with nothing to do. Its never been dropped, kicked, slapped, or taken out of the house. Its been air can cleaned regularly. Yes, I have used it a lot over the last 27 months, 15-18 hrs a week,but that is what you do with a PS3. And still I fell victim the the Light. Now my 60 Gig gets to go back to Sony and it may not return. Was told it would be replaced with another 60 Gig if repairs could not be made. But even if repairs are successful they will have to format my drive, erasing all my info. For me a hard lesson learned is, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, to safe guard my files. I know there are other ways to retrieve the data, but do you know how hard it is to convince a friend to let you swap out hard drives.

MontanaJefe

mine has collected dust and coffee stains and it's alive and kickin :D.. as to your harddrive i don't think you could retrieve any data unless the system is fixed .. the same happened to a friend of mine and he replaced it with a new one

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Mine went out 2 months ago, Sony was fast and friendly . Still no reason why my 600 system should go out after 3 years

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

I own 3 PS3s and they've all run flawlessly since I bought them. 1st is a 20gb model since launch, the 2nd a 60 gb model since 4 months after launch, and the 3rd a 40gb model since 1 year ago. I've upgraded the HDDs to 500gb in each of them, put skins on them and their controllers, and have played and DL over 100 games and demos and photos, music, and themes over and over, used PS3 camera eyes on each of them, each connects to the web and they've all been played tons. I also own 4 controllers for each making 12 controllers and they have all worked flawlessly. Yellow ligh tshines on people that don't operate the PS3 correctly or they don't take good care of it.(ventilated well, dust free etc)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
how do you back up your data or whatever? i know just about nothing about having saved data somewhere else than my HDD.
CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts
People are very paranoid about their PS3 breaking, all this talk about hoovering it and making sure its dust free, you shouldnt have to do that, my PS2 collected loads of dust but that never stopped it from working for years. Anyway to the guy with 3 PS3's, why do you own 3 with 4 controllers each? I don't see the point. Seems like there's nothing you can do to prevent the yellow light and its probably going to be the way all 60gb's go eventually. We'll have to wait and see if it happens to any other models or upgraded 60gb.