WTF is going on with my PS4's download speed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I've always noticed my Playstation products seem to have a significantly slower DL speed than my Xbox and especially my PC, but at least on PS3 I could generally download a gig in 20 or so minutes. Despite my supposed 20mb/sec DL speed, here on the PSN trying to cross download Flower at this rate will literally take 2 days. I started the download 20 minutes ago and I'm at 12mb downloaded. I'm not sure what's going on, as just Downloaded the 300 mb system update in about 5 minutes, so i know it's not my connection -- but anything from the store is moving at an unbearably slow rate. Anyone else have this problem? What's the fix, because this is ridiculous. I have no physical games for the system yet as nothing looked too interesting at launch, but I can't even download the free to play titles. Please don't tell me fast PS4 DL speed is directly related to my buying PS+?

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

Try rebooting ur modem or router or even both do a connection setup/test on ur ps4 then give it a go....I downloaded DC universe in less than 2hrs and that's a 28gb game. Almost everything I download is super fast download. I have 25download and 2.5 upload. I also have 2 ps4s one of wm is mine the other my wife and I just tried redownloadong resogun again as test download and both downloaded withing 7min plus the install...no PS+ has nothing to do with DL speed...like mentioned try rebootong ur modem or router sometimes I have to do that myself as both need a refresh once in a while anyways. And if u still have that issue is call Sony. Cuz I haven't seen any besides u complain about the DL speed cuz they pretty fast

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

dowmload and upload speeds are given as mbps which stands for megabits per second which is about eight times higher than mb/s which stands for megabytes per seconds...

e.g. if the download speed is 8 mbps, one can theoretically download with 1 mb/s, that however depends on the server you are downloading from, your isp's limitatios, etc...

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jamejame

@JoKeR_421 said:

Try rebooting ur modem or router or even both do a connection setup/test on ur ps4 then give it a go....I downloaded DC universe in less than 2hrs and that's a 28gb game. Almost everything I download is super fast download. I have 25download and 2.5 upload. I also have 2 ps4s one of wm is mine the other my wife and I just tried redownloadong resogun again as test download and both downloaded withing 7min plus the install...no PS+ has nothing to do with DL speed...like mentioned try rebootong ur modem or router sometimes I have to do that myself as both need a refresh once in a while anyways. And if u still have that issue is call Sony. Cuz I haven't seen any besides u complain about the DL speed cuz they pretty fast

Appreciate the response. Definitely calling support because nothing I've tried has worked. I've downloaded things faster when I had dialup, I kid you not. It's taking over a minute for a megabyte right now, that's slower than 56kbs/s. Unfortunately I have to go to work in a bit and the support lines are completely booked. Whoopee, guess it's back to PS3 for the time being.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

U can go on the website and chat with them.....but if u telling me ur dial is faster than has to be ur router maybe need to open some ports or something but wish u luck

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

I'm not having any slow speeds. It must be your internet at this point. Things download super fast.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jamejame

It's DEFINITELY not my internet, and my PS4's nat type is open. I just downloaded a 2 gigabyte demo in 15 minutes my 360. Hop on PS4, and in 15 minutes I've downloaded 10 megabytes. What is this, I don't even?

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

try setting up your ps4's ip in dmz, if you do not want to fine tune your router by forwarding the necessary ports for your ps4...

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

I dont have a problem with Download speed. Check your router. It may be your internet.

chiro4life06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chiro4life06
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

@JoKeR_421 said:

who is your internet service provider? how much do you pay a month for those speeds? Im in the market to switch..currently have ATT DSL with poverty download speeds of "up to 3 MBS" and its usually 2 MBS on any device when I test it.

Brysondakng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Brysondakng
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

A way I found to speed up download speed is to follow these simple steps.

1.Yold the power button on the ps4 system until you hear two beeps(make sure the system is fully turned off)

2.You will enter (safe mode) and you will see 7 options.

3. Go to the third option which is the internet one and see if there are any updates available.

5.From here you can update the system to be faster. ( NO it is not the same as updating it from the home screen )

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@brysondakng said:

A way I found to speed up download speed is to follow these simple steps.

1.Yold the power button on the ps4 system until you hear two beeps(make sure the system is fully turned off)

2.You will enter (safe mode) and you will see 7 options.

3. Go to the third option which is the internet one and see if there are any updates available.

5.From here you can update the system to be faster. ( NO it is not the same as updating it from the home screen )

Does this really work? Might look into this when I get home. Not that I have slow speeds as my PS4 downloads lightening fast but I can always go a bit faster.