Would Vita having a Android OS option be a bad thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

Vita is a wonderful hardware, very wonderful. i love everything about it, but clearly sony doesnt seem to care about it, because they arent throwing enough money towards it. They basically treat it like a unwanted adopted child (no offense) it seems as if japan is getting the better treatment, well they are. They have phantasy star online 2, where is ours in the USA? if Sony actually pushed that to launch quicker here i wouldnt complain. 

Anyway, my question is would having a Android OS option on the vita be a bad thing? Seeing as there are so many decent to good games on android that would basically play better on the vita than a regular cell phone or tablet. Android already have a decent amount of MMOs and what not, while the vita hardware is there just sitting pretty not taking advantage of.  

Just imagine being able to map touch screen android games on vitas physical controls.  

SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SalikSST
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

hmmm intriguing  i love vita myself will soon get it but given the situation vita is going through hard times but eventually it will succeed but not on the level of other competing handhelds from nintendo imo vita is hammered in software department many AAA games have flopped but only a few have remained to push vita through sales.I do agree with you for sony not giving much attention to it for what it deserves.& for using Android as OS maybe not good because many developers have praised its os to be the best out there yet even better than consoles so not a good idea for android.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

Vita is a wonderful hardware, very wonderful. i love everything about it, but clearly sony doesnt seem to care about it, because they arent throwing enough money towards it. They basically treat it like a unwanted adopted child (no offense) it seems as if japan is getting the better treatment, well they are. They have phantasy star online 2, where is ours in the USA? if Sony actually pushed that to launch quicker here i wouldnt complain. 

Anyway, my question is would having a Android OS option on the vita be a bad thing? Seeing as there are so many decent to good games on android that would basically play better on the vita than a regular cell phone or tablet. Android already have a decent amount of MMOs and what not, while the vita hardware is there just sitting pretty not taking advantage of.  

Just imagine being able to map touch screen android games on vitas physical controls.  

Rahnyc4
Like Blackberry, ya can't slap Android on otherwise there is no identity when you can get better elsewhere. It would show Sony has no confidence in their portable OS which is also on their home consoles and stuff. Another thing, Japn is not getting better treatment, and the Vita to my knowledge has actually sold more outside japan. AND ANOTHER thing, Android consoles don't work. Those games done only be workin' when they are secondary like an app store or something, using them to expand a console library is dumb, look at the Ouya, that joint failed hard.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

NationProtector
Like Blackberry, ya can't slap Android on otherwise there is no identity when you can get better elsewhere. It would show Sony has no confidence in their portable OS which is also on their home consoles and stuff. Another thing, Japn is not getting better treatment, and the Vita to my knowledge has actually sold more outside japan. AND ANOTHER thing, Android consoles don't work. Those games done only be workin' when they are secondary like an app store or something, using them to expand a console library is dumb, look at the Ouya, that joint failed hard.

japan is getting a better treatment from my knowledge. i looked over some of the games and japan seem to have better stuff, example being phantasy star online. thought the game is free to play, that and other free to play looks better than what we have in america. android OS would actually give the vita some life, especially when some of these android games demand buttons, which most phones dont use. seems like sony dont seem to give too much about vita. i personally think i would love the vita even more if the system had some form of android, that or some of the games on the psn market.
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Would be bad in Sony's eyes but depends where the market is. It'd be nice to have actual buttons for android games though

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

Rahnyc4

japan is getting a better treatment from my knowledge. i looked over some of the games and japan seem to have better stuff, example being phantasy star online. thought the game is free to play, that and other free to play looks better than what we have in america. android OS would actually give the vita some life, especially when some of these android games demand buttons, which most phones dont use. seems like sony dont seem to give too much about vita. i personally think i would love the vita even more if the system had some form of android, that or some of the games on the psn market.

No, a dedicated system that uses NAdroid will never work, and Sony already tried a compromise with the the Xperia play, which crashed quite quickly. Also, no Japan does not have better treatment.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#7 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

One, Sony would no longer benefit from access to an app market they no longer control. It might be nice for us, but it's a stupid move for Sony. 60% of the Vita's games are bought on PSN.

Two, Android developers don't have low-level access to the hardware the way Vita devs do. You're forced to use Google's provided libraries, and you can't tweak your game to the system's strengths. It might be easier to develop for, but we would definitely see a decrease in graphical performance and input response.