Would it be fine to skip Uncharted 1 and instead start off with Uncharted 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
#1 Posted by Ace_of_Spades90 (815 posts) -

I decided to finally give these games a go (I really only played the games for the mp), and seeing as I only have 2 and 3, I was wondering what you guys think of that. Like, would I be missing out on something important? Or is it not that imperative?

#2 Posted by Jakesta7 (2472 posts) -

I know that UC2 is a lot better than UC1.... But I say play UC1 first to get the best experience. I think the characters develop better and you can see their relationships by playing the first one through. I really enjoyed the story in the first one, and it made me enjoy the second one more. Maybe just rent it?

#3 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7324 posts) -

Story wise, you won't miss much, but like the previous poster said, it'll help develop the characters' personalities and relations to each other.

#4 Posted by Ace_of_Spades90 (815 posts) -

You know what? Why not? The first one is cheap anyways. Thanks for the input. 

Oh, and out of curiosity, how does the first one fare in comparison to 2 & 3? 

#5 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -

The story feels better as a whole when you play through all 3.  1 was a great game, has some excellent dialouge and very memorable characters.

If you can find it cheap, then go for it.  But you don't need to play through 1 to understand 2. 

#6 Posted by Blueresident87 (5825 posts) -

If you skip the first game, you'd be missing the best one. 

#7 Posted by Jakesta7 (2472 posts) -

Ace_of_Spades90

I thought the third one was the best. Second one was close behind that. I really enjoyed the cut-scenes in the first one, it blew me away with the graphics. Beautiful game, but falls short with the others. It will help lead up to (my personal favorite) Drake's Deception.

Of course, these are my opinions.

#8 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -
no, you need to start at the beginning with that series. the whole series is about building characters and your attachment to them... without playing the first game, you wont have your entry point
#9 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

Ace_of_Spades90
i would say 2, 1, 3 in order of awesome. they are all pretty close together though.
#10 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

I'd recommend playing the first one. As much as I like UC2, the first one is better IMO. If you're going to skip one, skip the third one.

#11 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
You'd be missing the best game of the generation and then be starting with its disappointing sequel. Meh.
#12 Posted by Ace_of_Spades90 (815 posts) -

Alright, it's settled: I'll start with the first one. Thanks everyone ;)

#13 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

You'd be missing the best game of the generation and then be starting with its disappointing sequel. Meh.Blabadon

How anybody can say 2 is a "disappointing sequel" is beyond me o_O

And I mean, Milkyway-to-Alpha-Centauri-far-beyond me o_____O

#14 Posted by nyc05 (10190 posts) -

Best to go in order. You'd do yourself a grave disservice by skipping or playing them out of order.

Now go.  Go and enjoy the best this generation has to offer.

#15 Posted by chaotzu (773 posts) -
No. Gameplay in U1 is EXTREMELY repetitive, Uncharted 2 is a HUGE step up, story wise only 3 characters show back up, and you can tell their history actually from the first moment you met them. All Uncharted games are pretty much standalone stories, so in my opinion just play 2 and 3 and you're great.
#16 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (602 posts) -

I played 2 first, then 1, then 3... and that's the order I would put them in from best to worst. I recommend playing the series in 1, 2, 3 order. The stories stand alone pretty much, but the characters and stuff sort of carry over so it would be the best way to experience it.

#17 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
No, you should play Uncharted 1 first. It's great and has it's place.
#19 Posted by sukraj (27859 posts) -

Play the second on imo.

#20 Posted by chocolate1325 (33007 posts) -

You could but I'd advise playing the first one to see where Naughty Dog improved when you play the sequel.

#21 Posted by punisher1 (3274 posts) -

I decided to finally give these games a go (I really only played the games for the mp), and seeing as I only have 2 and 3, I was wondering what you guys think of that. Like, would I be missing out on something important? Or is it not that imperative?

Ace_of_Spades90
You could skip it. UC1 is ok. It was different and fun at the time with a good story. The ending was so/so. But to care about what is going on in UC2 it helps to know the characters. And UC2 has the best story and a great ending. Easily the top 5 game of this generation.
#22 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
No, play Uncharted before the sequel. The game is amazing and is the best one.
#23 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -
Eh..... IDK, if you dont have the time then I guess its ok to skip U1. But U1 is a gem that shouldnt be miss out on. Sure its not as action packed and cinematic, and the gamplay if not as fluid (its a bit stiff) compared to U2 or U3, but its still a great game, with a really good story.
#24 Posted by dalger21 (2174 posts) -
Outside of the "I'm last years model" joke, you don't necessarily need to play UC1. I didn't. I started with UC2 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
#25 Posted by yonnex (1265 posts) -

And if you like them all Give Golden Abyss on VITA ago its also worth a play =)

#26 Posted by CaptainSofa (163 posts) -

I would advise skipping all three of them