Would I get owned if I played through much of MGS4 like a shooter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wikitheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wikitheory
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
And if I get killed doing that, will I have to start the level over, or will there we frequent checkpoints? I haven't played previous MGS games so I don't know what happens when you die.

I grew up on FPSs starting all the way back from Goldeneye. And I am very skilled at FPSs as a result. Not so much at stealth games.

Obviously, when I am outnumbered or outgunned, I'll sneak around and hide and what not as shown in the gameplay videos.

But when it's just one or two enemies, would I get owned if I play out the game the way I do a traditional shooter?

While I can see how some like playing through the whole game without killing anyone except for main bosses, that's just not my style.
nc_soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nc_soldier
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts
the other games had tons of checkpoints so im guessing this one will too. And you will be able to run and gun your way through it, you have the option to play on very easy(you pretty much cant die)-extreme (you die of 3 bullets), so yeah...
TIGERLUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TIGERLUCK
Member since 2007 • 737 Posts

yea you'll probably get owned considering pple do call for back up. But seeing as how this time around it's more action oriented.. there will probably be times when FP comes in handy.

Besides this is METAL GEAR!! you can't enjoy all the pretty surroundings if you stick with just FP.

marterikster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 marterikster
Member since 2007 • 934 Posts
The previous mgs games were set up as blocks(areas) and there would be a checkpoint between each area.But i think thats a bit old-school for mgs4 so i dont know if it will be the same
wikitheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wikitheory
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

What happens when you die in previous MGS games, or if you know, in MGS4?

Do you start at the most recent checkpoint, or do you have to replay the whole level?

How frequent were the check points in previous MGS games?

Thanks in advance.

gamemaster_650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamemaster_650
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts

play the game online and add me to ur friends list. that's when we will see if u get owned in MGS4

it's bigfoot_11, might've seen me play resistance. i am currently working on bringing t-baggin to resistance

Sony_Patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Sony_Patriot
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
When you die it's not very annoying because the checkpoints are very frequent
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Payton has said this time, you can't play it like a shooter unlike in the past games where you had a bit more of a choice to. This one, you have to be stealthy or you'll have a lot of continues. This has been said on more than one case.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

play the game online and add me to ur friends list. that's when we will see if u get owned in MGS4

it's bigfoot_11, might've seen me play resistance. i am currently working on bringing t-baggin to resistance

gamemaster_650

Um, it's MGO that's online. Not MGS4:lol:

Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts
[QUOTE="gamemaster_650"]

Denji

Um, it's MGO that's online. Not MGS4:lol:

owned......lol :p

rhyumavampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rhyumavampire
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

There aren't really "levels" in Metal Gear Solid. It's not broken down that way. I guess you could say it's broken into "areas" but even that is a bit of a stretch. It's one long gameplay experience...although in MGS4 they'd added chapters to it. So it's broken down a bit more than the previous games.

Don't worry about dying though. If you do you usually start fairly close to wherever you were before you died. Also keep in mind that you can save whenever/wherever you want. Only way to have a setback in MGS is if you forget to save, but usually someone will contact you from time to time, or before a risky area/boss, and ask you if you'd like to save before continuing.

Alright, now the scolding begins! You're playing MGS4 without playing the others!? Shame on you! Sure you'll have fun with the gameplay, but you'll end up confused and you'll be missing out on a fantastic storyline experience! This is not your average shooter. I strongly recommend playing the others first man!

doberman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 doberman20
Member since 2006 • 562 Posts
Time Paradox!!
NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

When you die it's not very annoying because the checkpoints are very frequentSony_Patriot

what he said but i wouldnt do the First person stuff you might get owned who knows but i think you will i just think the game is just better 3rd person i probably wont be First Person the whole entire game(unless i have too)

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts

And if I get killed doing that, will I have to start the level over, or will there we frequent checkpoints? I haven't played previous MGS games so I don't know what happens when you die.

I grew up on FPSs starting all the way back from Goldeneye. And I am very skilled at FPSs as a result. Not so much at stealth games.

Obviously, when I am outnumbered or outgunned, I'll sneak around and hide and what not as shown in the gameplay videos.

But when it's just one or two enemies, would I get owned if I play out the game the way I do a traditional shooter?

While I can see how some like playing through the whole game without killing anyone except for main bosses, that's just not my **** wikitheory

Nah man, as long as you have it all planned out.

In the third one, I was playing in very hard. On a stage, I decided to sneak around, plant bombs on all depots and on a helicopter. Then I blew them off and everyone went into panic and I started to kill them off with the sniper and shooting them in the head whilst I was on top ot a building. I did this several times, it was very fun.

You can go all out running and gunning without problems, but its allways better to make plans like this and put theAI under cool situations like this and take advantage of it.

Thats Why I love this games, they are SO open ended in terms of what you can do.

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Yes, Kojima has said that you can play it like a shooter. And, yes there will be frequent checkpoints.