Won't netflix kill the Playstation store?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dlaila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dlaila
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

Face it , most purchases at the playstation network store are movie rentals. With this new Netflix operation on ps3, they are taking away sales from there store that will go to netflix instead.

Use common sense. A recently released movie on ps network will be 3.99-4.99. I can watch the same, unlimited amount of movies with netflix on the ps3 for 9 bucks a month. What idiot would rent from the ps store now?

Doesn't make sense to me because like i said, movie rentals and buys are the main sells with the playstation store. Maybe with netflix pushing ps3, i can see sony thinking hey we have another avenue to get more people to buy the system, and cut our losses with the store and make a profit, unless im missing something.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I used to rent a few movies here and there through the PSN, but ever since I got netflix, never again.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Well...... there's also, umm, you know.....games and game related stuff that you can download. I heard people do that from time to time.

hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

Oh just disregard CoD map packs.. games like Fat Princess.. you know, Braid coming out, but yeh ok PSS is gone

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 feryl06
Uhm.. I think he was thinking of you know, movies and shows for download. I'm pretty sure that's what the topic was about.

Well...... there's also, umm, you know.....games and game related stuff that you can download. I heard people do that from time to time.

amsfm6
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Are you sure about that? ;)

Uhm.. I think he was thinking of you know, movies and shows for download. I'm pretty sure that's what the topic was about. feryl06

"Won't netflix kill the Playstation store?"

"Face it , most purchases at the playstation network store are movie rentals"

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Nah, game sales are fine.
And game packs.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Meh. Here in Canada there isn't even a damn movie store.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
People who want to buy the movies will still love the movie/tv show section of the PS store. If I see a movie that I love and want directly on the PS3 I might still buy it, but Netflix will be a must.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 feryl06
Considering NETFLIX is only about movies/tv shows and not games, I'm pretty sure TC is referring to that aspect. ;) TC talks about loss of movie rentals, not about loss of games. [QUOTE="amsfm6"]

Are you sure about that? ;)

Uhm.. I think he was thinking of you know, movies and shows for download. I'm pretty sure that's what the topic was about. feryl06

"Won't netflix kill the Playstation store?"

"Face it , most purchases at the playstation network store are movie rentals"

SicklySunStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SicklySunStorm
Member since 2009 • 2004 Posts

I think Sony had the foresight to think about and consider it all before bringing in Netflix. Ultimately, it should only be a good thing for them. Whilst they may lose some revenue from outright movie rentals on PSN, they will regain that lost ground with more PS3's sold etc.... they're probably also charging Netflix a nice handsome fee too

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Amster_G

This. All because we have a totally different rating system among other things.

ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

Amster_G
In the UK we don't have a movie store but it is coming at the end of the month :D
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

A little. But you have to remembermost of thecontent for Netflix streaming takessoms timeto even go up (if at all). Somepeople just won't wait around for months and months for certain movies. I already have Netflix and if they can't get a high demandrelease out to me and it's up on PSN .... I'll just rent it on PSN. The only problem with PSN is that the new movies might not go up for rent right away ... and I'll just have towait and see if Netflix delivers it. I guess movie studios don't want my rental money , they'd rather entice more people to buy the full movie I guess.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
My my my, some of us are being technical with the TC's words. Doesn't anyone interpret things first anymore? No?
jester0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jester0815
Member since 2004 • 618 Posts

Bottom line is that netflix streaming doesn't include new released titles. It usually takes up to 3 months for a new movie to come out on netflix streaming. That said there is a huge streaming library of different movies to pick from through netflix. It's a great service if you are already a netflix suscriber. I use it on my xb360 and PC. I can't wait for it to come to my PS3 as I use my PS3 in my family's living room.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

The selection of new movies for streaming in Netflix is very poor. The new movies I get through the mail on blue ray. PSN wont lose any money from me because a refuse to rent a move for $6.

SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
if netflix is paying sony, the amount of money from netflix may be potentially more than what the psn is currently netting. im sure the financial guys have figured it out :P
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I suppose the Netflix feature will sell a few more PS3's. And there are probably a fair number of people who don't have their PS3's hooked up to the internet, but will do so in order to rent movies - and as long as they've done that, maybe they'll buy some game related stuff, or download some demo's and buy more games because of it.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I'd rather pay for the one or two rentals every other month than $8.99 every month.
dlaila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dlaila
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

so wait a second, this thing netflix is doing with ps3 doesn't have newly released rentals? it takes 3 months to get them while ps3 will have them right away?

so basically this netflix library is of old movies pretty much then right?

not saying thats bad, just saying they should have new releases that you can access to.

this is where ps store could still have some success with movies.

say a movie you like was coming out on release. it'd be out ps3 right away, but netflix would take 3 extra months before it shows up. people who want to watch the new release will go to the store instead of waiting even longer with netflix, unless im missing something.

BrettB7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrettB7400
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Netflix will have to pay a small fee maybe such as $1 every month or a couple cents for each movie downloaded. I'm sure that Sony would get something out of it for allowing Netflix to be on the ps3.

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#23 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts

A little. But you have to remember most of the content for Netflix streaming takes some time to even go up (if at all). Some people just won't wait around for months and months for certain movies..

Nike_Air

This ^. Instantview currently isn't a full option to ditch renting. Having a netflix account may deter renting some on PSN, but if you're looking to get a new movie right away without waiting for it to be available through the mail from netflix PSN store is definitely a very viable option. Netflix more recently has been trying to expand their instantview to include newer movies/shows. Hence why when 360 owners were so happy about Netflix coming to them I was kinda humored because many thought they could watch all newly released movies via instantview. Don't get me wrong instantview is a cool option, but not nearly as cool as some people make it out to be.

babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

What idiot with Netflix will rent a movie from the PS3 store anyway? I don't think the PS3 video store is making a ton of money for Sony, but adding Netflix streaming is more of a move to counter the XBOX 360. After all, if you own a PS3 and a 360, why would you pay the extra $$ for XBOX Live if you can stream movies for free on the PS3?

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I use netflix streaming daily. I was about to rent the Dexter episodes on psn, but i noticed they are available on netflix for streaming...so no money for psn.