Wireless Router Problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnsmith49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 johnsmith49
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm in quite the dillema here and to be honest, it really sucks. I want to connect my PSP to my ****** N Wireless Router, but unfortunately it fails to crate any connection with the router at all. The reason for this is because the router is set to "802.11g" and, as far as I know,my PSP works only on"802.11b".However, my brother's MAC laptop only works on "802.11g" and nothing else. I've tried changing it to "802.11b&802.11g&802.11n" but despite it containing all of them my brother's MAC can't connect to it while my PSP can. Since he payed for the router, it gets set to whatever conveniences him.

So here comes the question. Is there any way, any trick or modification that I can do to get my PSP to run on "802.11g"? Oris there is a way to get the laptop to run on "802.11b&802.11g&802.11n"? I would really appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks.

KandyKornMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KandyKornMan
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts

ive had the same probems with getting my psp slim to work with the linksys wrt150n router.I tried changing every setting there is to make it connect but nothing works.then I switched to the wrt54gl and it has no problems.it must be some backwards compatability issues to blame.maybe the psp needs another firmware update to work with wireless n.or its the routers that need the upgrade.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts

Well you are not the only one who has experienced that problem it seems. Unfortunately, that case doesn't provide a solution, and he seems to blame the router (or protocol) particularly. If you have a another machine running windows with a G card, I would suggest trying to connect with that when the router is running in mixed mode. If that machine connects, then atleast you know the problem stems from the Mac.

As far as I know I don't think it is possible to persuade the psp to run on a G only network. However, I suspect there might be a problem with the Mac, and I would look into getting the Mac to run on a mixed network, since that is actually supposed to work.

As you've figured that suggestion pretty much leaves you at square one. So I'll say this; the only two things in common between your story and the one I linked to, are the macs and the protocol, and of course the using of mixed mode. So I would suggest you look for updates for the mac and firmware updates for the router.

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to hope for a Mac owner to come in here.